• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kaimin video, recruiting by UM and MSU

Blgs Griz Fan said:
GrizLA said:
All of these kids mentioned here are "waiting" for UM to contact them? hmmm, are they really ready for college? If you live in Montana, you would have to be very much an idiot if you do not know how to find out if there is a University in the state. The kids can contact the university. I once read applications for UCLA and every single one of the thousands knew how to reach the school. Many were not in the USA. However, I read this week, that the giant win for UMBC in the NCAA tournament was worth over $115 million if publicity. Let UM be in the FCS playoffs a couple of games and let DeCuire take the basketball team to the level he is taking them and I bet the applications increase. USC (the southeastern one) already researched it and found tv exposure in tournaments and bowls results in increased applications.
Also, for the MSU grad that says UM liberal arts, like fine arts, music, ceramics and applied arts are not something worth while I can assure you, financially, many UM grads in the fine arts, music, and art are doing quite well and have done so over the years. In fact, I have never had anyone in my various travels, ask me about the engineering school at MSU while many have asked about UM grads and the programs that turn them out. From Emmy winner, to Oscars, and Music awards, Pulitzers, and Rhodes Scholars UM can hold its own high ground. I think, when it comes to STEM education that is just the latest in a long series of "what's hot" today. I think more people who are serious about engineering degrees would choose Montana Tech. And, I think the what is really important are the numbers of grads in the fields, as opposed to just attending.

I think the days of just being a major university in the state making an impression on high schoolers are over. Recruiting new students is a marketing process and unfortunately the University is not doing a good job at it.
the one student i have mentioned is and has been recruited extensively by universities from all parts of the country except the University of Montana. His parents are very much financially challenged and having their son enroll in an instate school for his premed studies would be a huge relief. The University of Montana would be a perfect fit for them except ... silence.
If the kid truly wanted to attend UM he could write them, or call, or email, or whatever. I'm sorry but somewhere, the student to be, needs to stand up and say this is what I want and what I will do to get it done. If he is financially in need, then he needs to look at the resources. I assume he has a computer and that the family has filled out the requiset docs for those many schools sending him so much. Sounds more like they are confusing the young man. I am not saying UM is perfect but they are not in the business of hand holding. I am sure his high school counselor could answer the questions he has and advise him to get others answered.

GrizLA said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
GrizLA said:
All of these kids mentioned here are "waiting" for UM to contact them? hmmm, are they really ready for college? If you live in Montana, you would have to be very much an idiot if you do not know how to find out if there is a University in the state. The kids can contact the university. I once read applications for UCLA and every single one of the thousands knew how to reach the school. Many were not in the USA. However, I read this week, that the giant win for UMBC in the NCAA tournament was worth over $115 million if publicity. Let UM be in the FCS playoffs a couple of games and let DeCuire take the basketball team to the level he is taking them and I bet the applications increase. USC (the southeastern one) already researched it and found tv exposure in tournaments and bowls results in increased applications.
Also, for the MSU grad that says UM liberal arts, like fine arts, music, ceramics and applied arts are not something worth while I can assure you, financially, many UM grads in the fine arts, music, and art are doing quite well and have done so over the years. In fact, I have never had anyone in my various travels, ask me about the engineering school at MSU while many have asked about UM grads and the programs that turn them out. From Emmy winner, to Oscars, and Music awards, Pulitzers, and Rhodes Scholars UM can hold its own high ground. I think, when it comes to STEM education that is just the latest in a long series of "what's hot" today. I think more people who are serious about engineering degrees would choose Montana Tech. And, I think the what is really important are the numbers of grads in the fields, as opposed to just attending.

I think the days of just being a major university in the state making an impression on high schoolers are over. Recruiting new students is a marketing process and unfortunately the University is not doing a good job at it.
the one student i have mentioned is and has been recruited extensively by universities from all parts of the country except the University of Montana. His parents are very much financially challenged and having their son enroll in an instate school for his premed studies would be a huge relief. The University of Montana would be a perfect fit for them except ... silence.
If the kid truly wanted to attend UM he could write them, or call, or email, or whatever. I'm sorry but somewhere, the student to be, needs to stand up and say this is what I want and what I will do to get it done. If he is financially in need, then he needs to look at the resources. I assume he has a computer and that the family has filled out the requiset docs for those many schools sending him so much. Sounds more like they are confusing the young man. I am not saying UM is perfect but they are not in the business of hand holding. I am sure his high school counselor could answer the questions he has and advise him to get others answered.

So...Blame the customer for laziness? Seems an odd way to run a business.

AllWeatherFan said:
We can't market because we don't have any money.

We don't have any money because we don't market.

Sounds like a classic death spiral. Jodcon?

Sure does, and I know a thing or two about death spirals.

BUT, you have to spend money to make money, that is much truer and I know a lot more about business than death spirals.

SACCAT66 said:
GrizLA said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
GrizLA said:

So, the University of Montana needs to determine if this student, in need, is truly interested in the university of Montana even though he had not, apparently, contacted them. Sorry, not buying that.
I've read too many college applications to even entertain the thought that the student did not know how to reach out to the college you are blaming for not reaching out to him. It sounds to me that all these colleges and unversities including MSU are simply mailing everyone and hope one of them stands out but my experience is less can often be more. Most likely, all that stuff being mailed is confusing kids more than anything else. Again, I would refer the student and his parents to seek out the high school counselor. As for UM outreach, I think if they reached out more to alumni it would be more productive. I can assure you, of the three universities I attended, only UM fails to keep up. They do send some very expensive looking material but so do the others. Still, they will do what they do. Glad it is not my problem.

GrizLA said:
SACCAT66 said:
GrizLA said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:

So, the University of Montana needs to determine if this student, in need, is truly interested in the university of Montana even though he had not, apparently, contacted them. Sorry, not buying that.
I've read too many college applications to even entertain the thought that the student did not know how to reach out to the college you are blaming for not reaching out to him. It sounds to me that all these colleges and unversities including MSU are simply mailing everyone and hope one of them stands out but my experience is less can often be more. Most likely, all that stuff being mailed is confusing kids more than anything else. Again, I would refer the student and his parents to seek out the high school counselor. As for UM outreach, I think if they reached out more to alumni it would be more productive. I can assure you, of the three universities I attended, only UM fails to keep up. They do send some very expensive looking material but so do the others. Still, they will do what they do. Glad it is not my problem.

I too, am glad it's not your problem because the "less is more" crap ain't gonna dig us out of this hole.

signedbewildered said:
GrizLA said:
SACCAT66 said:
GrizLA said:

I too, am glad it's not your problem because the "less is more" crap ain't gonna dig us out of this hole.

THIS!!!

GrizLA said:

You seem to not realize that an University needs to market itself just like a business. And even beyond this, the University is terrible with the follow-up to perspective students. My daughter reached out to multiple schools including UM and had many other schools randomly reach out to her. UM was by far and away the worst school to work with and barely made any effort. It is easy to see why they have an enrollment problem.

HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizLA said:

You seem to not realize that an University needs to market itself just like a business. And even beyond this, the University is terrible with the follow-up to perspective students. My daughter reached out to multiple schools including UM and had many other schools randomly reach out to her. UM was by far and away the worst school to work with and barely made any effort. It is easy to see why they have an enrollment problem.

My daughter was enrolled at UM 4 years when my son graduated and they didn't reach out at all past the standard mailer, shouldn't they at least make a little more effort towards a family with existing ties?
MSU, who we have never had any direct ties to, reached out multiple times which kind of sums up the problem.

Being another know-nothing, let me suggest that Bodnar did the due diligence & realized the lack of return on investment (what’s been reported by the Kaimin & anecdotes like those shared here) is the result of flawed strategy, process or downright incompetence. Like the tennis clown-car situation, he’s forced to not renew someone’s contract & reassign them out of the way until they can be shown the door in the prescribed manner. If he’d been dealing with a GE employee he’d have been jettisoned into space by now.

So let me ask a question - where did the budget dollars go prior to this year? If there are issues related to major funding cuts that significantly impacted current efforts, where did the money go in cycles prior? I have no idea how much less funding is available than in years past, because all I have to go on is the comparison to state ag’s situation that was outlined in the Kaimin article. Based on the anecdote here, It sounds as if they aren’t producing or distributing significantly less in terms of materials and internet communication than the next-to-nothing that was the effort in prior years. Was it the labor/staff/salaries? Can’t imagine it being payments to a direct-marketing partner because they usually get paid on an output basis. Or was the budget number a hoax and they were never allowed to spend the dollars because the money was needed to fill holes elsewhere? That kind of thing happens regularly in the business world, perhaps in this situation as well.

Having a non-academic like Bodnar address a business problem like this - marketing & advertising, might be a good thing.

flatbed said:
looks like fall 2018 numbers at main campus-

UM= 8,917

MSU= 16,234

:roll:

Place must look like a F*c%ing ghost town.

What is the ratio of student to faculty at UM's peak? Average class size?

What is the ratio of student to faculty today? Average class size?

I get how faculty to student ratio could show how well performing a school is where too low is overstaffed and too high is understaffed. But initially a low ratio could be a selling point as more face time for each student with a prof. And if staff is cut too much you risk gutting classes and curriculum and limiting too few options to entice incoming students. That said, I'm sure there definitely could be some staffing cuts. But it should be done wisely.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Allezchat said:
I get how faculty to student ratio could show how well performing a school is where too low is overstaffed and too high is understaffed. But initially a low ratio could be a selling point as more face time for each student with a prof. And if staff is cut too much you risk gutting classes and curriculum and limiting too few options to entice incoming students. That said, I'm sure there definitely could be some staffing cuts. But it should be done wisely.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This will be low-hanging fruit for Bodnar. Balancing the faculty to requirements is a simple transaction. The human element is certainly not simple - if required, some will lose their jobs. He will understand it intuitively.

His challenge is to transform the University. He should not work the margins. It's time to go big.

UM has taken major steps in reversing this trend: Getting Engstrom out of the President's Office, putting Bodnar in his place, hiring Bobby Hauck, and extending Travis DeCuire's contract!

MikeyGriz said:
UM has taken major steps in reversing this trend: Getting Engstrom out of the President's Office, putting Bodnar in his place, hiring Bobby Hauck, and extending Travis DeCuire's contract!

you got it half right.

argh! said:
MikeyGriz said:

you got it half right.

Which half is that?

Back