• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kent Haslam hiring grades

Umista said:
Coach Stitt brings a new style of football to Montana. Far and above any recent coaches. The guy is very smart and quick minded. One needs to visit with him one on one to get a grasp of what he is all about. I will admit he looked out of sorts last season.
I think he's smart, and "quick-minded" while talking, but on the Field last year, too many games saw a coach unwilling to change strategies when they were obviously failing (CP, Weber, PSU, NDSU) and then too willing to change strategies when they were successful (ISU). He has a great game, record breaking, with a "simplified strategy" and a third stringer, and then awful games with his "complicated strategy" and his best QB. Apparently there are no ironies to be observed in Montana football.

There is a predictability to his coaching that is, to me, hugely surprising. NDSU, unfortunately, did not find it surprising. "I read your book, Rommel!" Coach Klieman was reported to have said during the game.

His penchant, while talking, about saying things like "we never lose in our house!" just before doing just that with Cal Poly, and "my offense can beat any defense" which comes across as almost delusional given his record, do not do his credibility any good. The difference between confident and blowhard is a fine line, and its always best not to walk too close to it. And, a few bad games can push that line in the wrong direction all too easily.

I think he probably can pull this off -- coaches who did far worse elsewhere did great here -- but, there are "aspects" to the way he goes about things that, once past the hype, are at best puzzling, and do end up making his performance look "out of sorts" in large part because what he says and what he does often indicates a coach not fully in communion with himself.

Maybe it was just a "breaking in" period at a different level. Plausible. It will be interesting. "Staff" is the part that can make the difference, and he seems to have a good one.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
However thinking about all of that, I really believe Coach Selvig is awesome at what he does, and when he finally hangs up the whistle, we'll all notice that we "didn't really know what we had until it was gone."
I tend to agree. I covered Robin when he was a player under Jud, and always thought it was a remarkable story, and a remarkable loyalty that that much talent became a great coach and stayed on, no doubt at a tremendous opportunity cost for somebody with his record.

One of mine was dating a Lady Griz player this last Fall, and so I had "the girls" over at the house regularly. There was some grumbling about coaching decisions made late in some games last Fall and some team tensions, but by and large, the players have a terrific loyalty to Robin and to the staff and he manages to bring a relatively hard style of coaching, plenty of yelling, to a team of "girls" without having all sorts of buttercup and snowflake injuries. They understand his style, and don't take it personally, which to me is a terrific achievement for a male coach dealing with women.

75... I don't think overall season records is a good report cards for judging non-revenue producing sports at UofM. Conference would be much better. Most play bigger schools almost totally on the road in preseason.
Take tennis for an instance, Steve Ascher(sic) has done a super job with the ladies with exception of one below par year(2016). And that only came about when they lost their #1 seed to knee injury and that is very significant when with the limited number scholarships tennis has.
Steve is very personable and well-liked by the players. Also 75 if you had dug a little deeper rather than just looking on the website for season's record, you would have seen that they defeated MSU this to help win the UofM/msu trophy.

marooncoloredglasses said:
Also 75 if you had dug a little deeper rather than just looking on the website for season's record, you would have seen that they defeated MSU this to help win the UofM/msu trophy.
Well, in Women's Tennis, MSU was 8-15, 6-5 in conference. It has been a while since saying "We beat Bozeman" was any kind of point of pride. :twisted:

UM's overall season record of 4-17 was mitigated, a very tiny bit, by a conference record of 3-8.

Of their last 14 matchups, they lost 13 of them with a lot of scores that looked like 1-6 (7 of them) and 0-7 (three of them). They lost nine of ten road games, and won just three of five home matchups.

This is in sharp contrast to two years ago when they were very competitive. Steve Ascher overall has a very outstanding record, and is very well-liked and respected. But, oh gosh, as part of a pattern with the Women's sports/minor sports, it was just an awful year.

Jesus, 75. Teams are not going to win everything every year. Yes, the VB program is down right now. We'll see if Doyon can get that turned around. If he cannot (and I think he will), he probably won't be long for Missoula.

But the UM soccer team won the BSC title in 2014, and on the way to doing so beat teams like Colorado State, Air Force, Gonzaga and gave Texas and Mizzou all they could handle. That's not exactly a "down' year in my mind.

In 2014, the women's tennis team went 10-0 in the BSC. I think it's safe to say that wasn't an "awful" year.

Sorry if reality butts up against your agenda.

EverettGriz said:
Jesus, 75. In 2014, the women's tennis team went 10-0 in the BSC. I think it's safe to say that wasn't an "awful" year. Sorry if reality butts up against your agenda.
Did I say it was an "awful" year? Do you have to troll my posts on nearly every thread now and fabricate crap just to have something to say?

I said this about "2014:"
This is in sharp contrast to two years ago when they were very competitive.
See that tricky math there? That 2016-2=2014?

What do you think "sharp contrast" and "very competitive" meant?

Jesus, isn't it about time you grew up and got off your "agenda"?

UMGriz75 said:
EverettGriz said:
Jesus, 75. In 2014, the women's tennis team went 10-0 in the BSC. I think it's safe to say that wasn't an "awful" year. Sorry if reality butts up against your agenda.
Did I say it was an "awful" year? Do you have to troll my posts on nearly every thread now and fabricate crap just to have something to say?

I said this about "2014:"
This is in sharp contrast to two years ago (2014) when they were very competitive.
What do you think "sharp contrast" and "very competitive" meant?

Isn't it about time you grew up and got off your "agenda"?

Perhaps he's too busy trying to get closer to his supposed "national ranking", by trying to get above playing no. 2 doubles on his club team. Ha.

So please explain your final comment.

But, oh gosh, as part of a pattern with the Women's sports/minor sports, it was just an awful year.

And your prior comment about women's sports having "real underperfomers".

Sounds to me as though you're saying there's a pattern of underperforming awfulness. But I'm just reading what you're typing, so....

EverettGriz said:
So please explain your final comment.

But, oh gosh, as part of a pattern with the Women's sports/minor sports, it was just an awful year.
And your prior comment about women's sports having "real underperfomers".

Sounds to me as though you're saying there's a pattern of underperforming awfulness. But I'm just reading what you're typing, so....
WTF is the matter with you? I said this most recent year. I reviewed the records. Which of those recent records do you think was misrepresented?

Actually, you're not reading what I'm typing or you would have understood that I pointed out that, in contrast to the recent year, the Women's Tennis team had a great year in 2014 -- the exact opposite of claiming a "pattern" -- whereas you were unable to either "read" that, or do the high level math to figure out on your own that "two years ago" from this year is 2014! You're trolling.

Please, you're going down that same road that got your panties in a wad when you started screaming that there was never a "The" in the name of The University of Montana, and then went dark when I republished the original charter, and then you angrily denounced anybody over saving the golf course because -- you just "knew" -- it had been acquired for purely building expansion. Another one of your bizarre claims to absolute knowledge of odd trivia that you get hyper over and especially when anyone who knows more about anything than you do points out that you are wrong. You turn into a vindictive little kid, and just like this one, start fabricating claims just to shoot them down, misrepresenting what people say, and, yes, just ... trolling.

EverettGriz said:
So please explain your comment about women's sports having "real underperfomers".
English translation: "they did not do well."

A more detailed and comprehensive explanation might include pointing out that opposing teams typically scored more points.

In sports where scoring more points means they "win."

When you "win," it's a good thing.

The opposite effect is when scoring less points, you "lose."

When you "lose" its not "performing" well. Politely, it can be called "underperforming." When you lose "a lot" it can be called "really underperforming."

Clear?

Big Sky Conference tennis isn't a high level of competition. Good players are not usually found on Big Sky teams.

Spanky said:
Big Sky Conference tennis isn't a high level of competition. Good players are not usually found on Big Sky teams.

Isn't that true of all big sky sports? Not sure I follow your argument. We praise the FB team when it goes 10-0, no?

I'm terribly sorry that some of you don't appreciate the successes that we Montana fans get to enjoy.

Everett....I probably shouldn't have commented, but the immediate subject was tennis.
I doubt our tennis coaches have much of a recruiting budget, thus, they probably can't recruit at national tournaments to eventually build a team made up of ranked junior players.
It's the same old story. Much the same as not moving up....we don't have the money.
Tennis, however, is a sport of which I have some knowledge, ancient, however.

Well, no doubt they're not P5 quality. None of our sports are. But the women's tennis team holds their own at the mid-major level. I just don't see how anyone could diminish a 10-0 league record, in any sport.

EverettGriz said:
Well, no doubt they're not P5 quality. None of our sports are. But the women's tennis team holds their own at the mid-major level. I just don't see how anyone could diminish a 10-0 league record, in any sport.
Since no one did, you can hug your Teddy Bear that all is right with the world.

UMGriz75 said:
EverettGriz said:
Since no one did, you can hug your Teddy Bear that all is right with the world.

I...I...I have absolutely no idea what this even means.

But at least it was concise!! :thumb: :clap:

Latest posts

Back