• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kent Haslam hiring grades

Tennis is in levels. Years ago, Chuck Kriese, Clemson coach of many years told me he would love to coach at Montana as he could make UM national champion in men's tennis. Few people have the knowledge to build a tennis program of merit. If you think a record of 10-0 in the Big Sky is good, that's ok.

Bob Stitt wasn't over confident last year he was down right cocky. We all heard about how he was going to cut up the big sky defenses and of course the insanity of not punting on 4th and 4 from your own 38. The dose of humility handed out last has year has helped our coach. It is not all about Bob so far this year. I watched all of the spring game(during a constant rain) and was impressed with the changes he has made with our offense. H backs,(last year he bragged that he didn't need H backs) slot receivers closer to the tackles, more pass routs for running backs, more options off the zone read, just to name a few. In the last 4 games last year he was experimenting with some the these concepts. The coaches interview at the end of the spring game was about his team and his coaches not about him. Good start coach. Go Griz

UMGriz75 said:
WTF is the matter with you? I said this most recent year. I reviewed the records. Which of those recent records do you think was misrepresented?

Actually, you're not reading what I'm typing or you would have understood that I pointed out that, in contrast to the recent year, the Women's Tennis team had a great year in 2014 -- the exact opposite of claiming a "pattern" -- whereas you were unable to either "read" that, or do the high level math to figure out on your own that "two years ago" from this year is 2014! You're trolling.

Please, you're going down that same road that got your panties in a wad when you started screaming that there was never a "The" in the name of The University of Montana, and then went dark when I republished the original charter, and then you angrily denounced anybody over saving the golf course because -- you just "knew" -- it had been acquired for purely building expansion. Another one of your bizarre claims to absolute knowledge of odd trivia that you get hyper over and especially when anyone who knows more about anything than you do points out that you are wrong. You turn into a vindictive little kid, and just like this one, start fabricating claims just to shoot them down, misrepresenting what people say, and, yes, just ... trolling.

I love your stump speech! You have Marco Rubio tendencies...

UM can remain in the Big Sky forever to play B league football and join the Mountain West for all other sports.

Then we would compete against better teams on a regular basis which our fans will enjoy.
I realize it won't happen and UM will be in the Big Sky until long after yours truly is long gone.
If we can beat up Northern Colorado, Southern Utah in football, everyone will be happy. Who cares about tennis?

All along I thought this thread was dealing with Kent Haslam?
I must confess I have not watched many womens tennis matches and when I did perhaps 120 folks were watching along with myself.
Women's sports coaching?
In any event shall we fire Haslam or give him a raise?

The biggest problem with the minor sports is that our training facilities for the athletes have been the worst in the Big Sky for years. One of Kent's biggest accomplishments is getting the Champions Center off the ground and that will pay big dividends down the road for all sports.

And by the way, does anybody realistically think that Montana is ever going to have any type of dominance in women's golf or tennis? Look at the climate in Montana for those sports. If a recruit has a choice between Montana and anywhere down South where do you think they are going to choose? Same thing with a coach, if we get a good coach in those sports once they win at U of M they are going to get poached from a bigger program with better facilities and better weather for those particular sports.

That is why what Pinkerton is doing with the softball team is so amazing considering our weather is not very softball friendly in January when they start practicing and in March when they start trying to play home games. Again, part of that success also lies with Kent and the Softball Complex and Indoor Softball facility he helped put together.

FYI, my understanding is the next big upgrade on the athletic department wishlist (after the Champions Center) is going to be a multi-purpose indoor training facility that can be used for football, indoor track, soccer and softball.

I have to give Kent a good grade. I think he has done a pretty darn good job so far.

84 is right in terms of our cold climate and give Pinks an excellent grade for doing well coaching his softball team!

While I am at it, can anyone beleive Lisa McLoud winning the female pentathon in track yesterday? Wow, that girl is one tough hombre and I'd take her on my team anyday. Butte girl can run, jump and throw better than most guys! So give Adam Bork a good grade for coaching her up.

My view is that Haslam has been fine, maybe better. On coaching hires, probably good, based on what is known so far. Football - too early to tell, could be great, not great or not good. Need more data. I was pleased with last year's good, but mixed, season. Great win(s). Some bad losses. I will reserve judgment on some of the unothordox calls for now. Basketball - DeCuire was a no-brainer and appears to be a terrific hire. Is there anyone here who wouldn't have hired him? That's why it was a no-brainer. Softball - looked good initially and seems to be going very well. Volleyball - too early to tell but this year wasn't very good. I don't have any good information on this one. Track - don't know what they did for a replacement for the guy who resigned. AD's need to pay attention to minor sports, but they have limited budgets and options. I wouldn't criticize an AD for a few weaker minor sports, or bad hires, as long as something was being done to correct the situations.

Umista said:
I have to give Kent a good grade. I think he has done a pretty darn good job so far.

84 is right in terms of our cold climate and give Pinks an excellent grade for doing well coaching his softball team!

While I am at it, can anyone beleive Lisa McLoud winning the female pentathon in track yesterday? Wow, that girl is one tough hombre and I'd take her on my team anyday. Butte girl can run, jump and throw better than most guys! So give Adam Bork a good grade for coaching her up.

Erika McLeod, not Lisa. Lakyn Connors got 7th in the event. Lakyn's dad Bobby, who played football for the Griz, was friends in college with Erika's dad and uncle. I know with the uncle. Both of Lakyn's grandfathers grew up in Butte.

PlayerRep said:
Umista said:

Erika McLeod, not Lisa. Lakyn Connors got 7th in the event. Lakyn's dad Bobby, who played football for the Griz, was friends in college with Erika's dad and uncle. I know with the uncle. Both of Lakyn's grandfathers grew up in Butte.
Very very athletic family the Connors are! Lakyns cousin Sydney is leading the league in HR as a freshman on her highschool softball team and Sydneys brother Calvin is one of the top returning receivers at EOU!

Mavman said:
PlayerRep said:
Umista said:

Very very athletic family the Connors are! Lakyns cousin Sydney is leading the league in HR as a freshman on her highschool softball team and Sydneys brother Calvin is one of the top returning receivers at EOU!

Congratulations all around... Can any of them kick?

Mavman said:
PlayerRep said:
Umista said:

And one of her cousins plays football for Air Force, 2 of his brothers played some college football, another cousin was a pentathlete at Idaho, another played football and basketball at Western, 3 of her uncles played football for Carroll, all 3 of them and her dad played in the MT East West Shrine Game, her aunt played basketball for Boise St and was their player of the decade in the 80's, her brothers both played some college football and one of them was the top javelin thrower for Minnesota. And one of her cousins is married to one of the best posters on egriz. There you have it.

bgbigdog said:
Mavman said:
PlayerRep said:
Umista said:

Congratulations all around... Can any of them kick?

And yes one of her other cousins is a good kicker.

Buttegrizzle said:
Bring forth the haters, but Engstrom AD hire > Cruzado's AD hires.

How would you rate Engstrom's firing of an AD and a head coach?

Are you seriously criticizing Cruzado for being involved in hiring an AD that accepts and quits a few days later? Let's hear what you think she did wrong.

Buttegrizzle said:
Bring forth the haters, but Engstrom AD hire > Cruzado's AD hires.
Genuine "programs" -- as opposed to winning teams every now and then -- develop internal strength in large part by creating lasting structures and developing high quality personnel, and having an organizational culture of success that everyone breathes every day, ball boys, players, staff, coaches, fans. Jim O'Day was part of a line of ADs who understood that. My understanding is that he hired Haslam. So, give credit there. A lot.

Engstrom, ironically, benefited immensely from that approach, but also, fortunately, did have the good sense to preserve the organizational continuity and structure to the extent that he did. "Programs" don't develop over the long term by pushing the plunger and blowing everything up at each crisis. Engstrom came close enough. But, Cruzado pushed the plunger all the way. On the other hand, I don't think they had a "program" in that sense to save.

PlayerRep said:
Mavman said:
PlayerRep said:
Umista said:

And one of her cousins plays football for Air Force, 2 of his brothers played some college football, another cousin was a pentathlete at Idaho, another played football and basketball at Western, 3 of her uncles played football for Carroll, all 3 of them and her dad played in the MT East West Shrine Game, her aunt played basketball for Boise St and was their player of the decade in the 80's, her brothers both played some college football and one of them was the top javelin thrower for Minnesota. And one of her cousins is married to one of the best posters on egriz. There you have it.
I didn't think Alphagriz1 was married!

Glad for the corrections to my poor post regarding Erika McLeod. (I called her Lisa) Lisa was another good basketball player.
Also cool to see many of you are paying attention to some of our current (Griz) girls that are great athletes.
Sydney Stites can hit a softball a country mile and is related to other super players and that was good to point out in my book. Thanks to Player and others for bringing out all this relative stuff regarding our Griz past and present.

Of course Bigdog wants to know if amy of these girls can kick....

Our coaches are finding and obtaining some very very good female athletes and I think they should get the credit for this plus they are fun to watch!

Latest posts

Back