• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Krakauer getting defensive?

EverettGriz said:
MT Head Guy said:
UMGriz75 said:
MT Head Guy said:
So MSU is self-indulgent and self serving becausethe reporter drew a conclusion that there may be differences on how the universities reported sex assaults and perhaps part of the reason why there was an investigation in Missoula?
No, the reporter was parroting the completely unsubstantiated -- and in my direct experience untrue -- claim of a safety functionary attempting to concoct a reason why his school had twice the level of rapes as most of the peer schools in the Big Sky Conference. The hapless reporter after buying into the self-serving explanation for which no proof of any kind was sought, then didn't get the odd contradiction, that if MSU was so successful, then why did its levels of rapes continue at such a high rate?

I appreciate the background information and data. It does help frame things.

What I get out of this is:
-MSU has twice as many reported incidents.
-The reporter (whether coerced or not) infers that MSU may be reporting in a different manner.
-You have definitive and accurate inside information from both school (or more) that shows that they are indeed reporting things the same and there is a significant problem at MSU.

If you know all this and have been involved with both programs so intimately, why aren't you being interviewed or doing something about it? More importantly, why aren't you working to help resolve the significant issue at MSU (knowing what UM has done to be twice as good)?

By the way, I have a niece at UM who has been sexually abused on campus and it did not end up in the count (because she did not report it). You are not the only person on the face of the earth with "inside" information. I appreciate how upset you are about MSU, but quite frankly its meaningless in scale when you have to deal with a victim of the crime...however you report it.

What I get out of this is that an msu grad doesn't know the difference between implied and inferred. :msugrad:
Jesus everett. Please stop commenting on matters of intelligence.

IroneagleXP said:
EverettGriz said:
MT Head Guy said:
UMGriz75 said:
No, the reporter was parroting the completely unsubstantiated -- and in my direct experience untrue -- claim of a safety functionary attempting to concoct a reason why his school had twice the level of rapes as most of the peer schools in the Big Sky Conference. The hapless reporter after buying into the self-serving explanation for which no proof of any kind was sought, then didn't get the odd contradiction, that if MSU was so successful, then why did its levels of rapes continue at such a high rate?

I appreciate the background information and data. It does help frame things.

-The reporter (whether coerced or not) infers that MSU may be reporting in a different manner.
-You have definitive and accurate inside information from both school (or more) that shows that they are indeed reporting things the same and there is a significant problem at MSU.

If you know all this and have been involved with both programs so intimately, why aren't you being interviewed or doing something about it? More importantly, why aren't you working to help resolve the significant issue at MSU (knowing what UM has done to be twice as good)?

By the way, I have a niece at UM who has been sexually abused on campus and it did not end up in the count (because she did not report it). You are not the only person on the face of the earth with "inside" information. I appreciate how upset you are about MSU, but quite frankly its meaningless in scale when you have to deal with a victim of the crime...however you report it.

What I get out of this is that an msu grad doesn't know the difference between implied and inferred. :msugrad:
Jesus everett. Please stop commenting on matters of intelligence.

You mean because I'm right and you don't understand?

Again, 2506, I think you'll find the postings on bcn to be more at your reading comprehension level. Search out PapaG and bracket. Those guys are as dumb as you (well, nearly anyway). You might understand them.

UMGriz75 said:
MT Head Guy said:
The reporter simply took what the MSU official said "at face value." Kind of like "I did not have sex with that woman, Miss Lewinsky." Some did believe that. The reporter did not even ask the question as to how the schools might be "reporting in a different manner." Seems like it would have been a good question. I can assure you the MSU official would not have had an answer.

The "Reporter" was apparently entirely unaware that universities are required by Federal law to standardize their reporting of campus crimes, as required by the Clery Act, signed into law in 1990, which was originally known as the Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act. Neither the "reporter" nor the self-serving MSU official offered any explanation of which school might have been violating the Clery Act regarding how they handled their statistics, nor how, and no allegation has ever been made that either school was ever in noncompliance with the mandated reporting procedures.

Clearly MSU is self-serving. UM is better at dealing with sexual assaults. You win!

MT Head Guy said:
Clearly MSU is self-serving. UM is better at dealing with sexual assaults. You win!
Unfortunately, MSU has a long-developed and somewhat deserved reputation, as the "Daily Beast" points to. And, according to Krakauer, UM had its dynamic Dean of Students providing better response than law enforcement, and who was a diligent investigator of such claims [Before] ... and likely has the best system in place now [After]. It's an interesting contradiction in his "Narrative," but overall, it is an interesting juxtaposition of the contrast of one campus, MSU with an historically high rape rate (and, consistently, overall crime rate), with a recent "under the rug" investigation of a sexual predator in the music department who managed to do more damage than the entire football team or, for that matter, students at both campuses put together, and the contrast with the other campus, UM, that is statistically one of the safest campuses to be on the US, and why the disparity of treatment?

None of this is about "rape." It is about social justice narratives, and one popular White Quarterback outweighed everything else put together. Unfortunately, the Rolling Stone debacle brought into clearer focus why the Missoula situation 1) got so much attention and resulted in 2) such an embarrassing fail.

Krakauer admits it. This was "rushed" to print to try and counter the devastation done to the political narratives artificially constructed around rape by the Rolling Stone, and tries to do so using an equally flawed narrative in Missoula, Montana.

Note the timing. He was here for the trial; apparently didn't produce the book; the subject was getting stale. All of a sudden, a "rush" to get it into print, because of the dismal failure of the Rolling Stone effort, and Krakauer's sudden indignation that he feels personally compelled to fight (at $29 a copy) that because of Sabrina Erdely, someone is claiming that the majority of rape victims lie, which is itself a nice lie.

So, he goes back to his notes from Missoula, regarding a trial involving a likely similar fabulist, with a rapid not-guilty verdict, to prove that Sabrina Erdely's disservice to victims should not be the conclusion that the majority of rape victims lie.

In order to demonstrate his commitment, he did not call for the firing of Erdely, who did all the public damage, but he is really mad at Kirsten Pabst, whose department ranked well above the national average in actual prosecutions for rape. Because, you see, "Quarterback ... or something!"

Paoli's editorial says Krakauer was only at trial for several days but gives the impression in his book that he attended the whole trial.

I was at the trial everyday except opening and closing, and probably 70% of the time. I never noticed Krakauer. 75, did you ever see him or anyone that looked like him?

PlayerRep said:
I was at the trial everyday except opening and closing, and probably 70% of the time. I never noticed Krakauer. 75, did you ever see him or anyone that looked like him?
I wouldn't have known what he looked like. Used to read his stuff in "Outside," but never paid any attention to the picture.

If Krakauer was really concerned about "rape" on campus, exploitation by those in positions of power, complicity of entire departments, and a University whose "procedures" were so lax that they had a faculty member who should have registered as a sex offender from previous crimes, but who didn't because said "U" did not do proper background checks. Yep, all happened in 2011. At Montana State University.

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/education/article_c78b8016-d5ef-11e0-824e-001cc4c03286.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/montana_state_university/documents-allege-ex-msu-conductor-pursued-high-school-and-college/article_dadebef4-6423-11e1-a8ec-001871e3ce6c.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No doubt in that case about any "fabulism," although it was notable that the whistle was blown by a boyfriend who found out about it, despite a claimed "culture of reporting" at MSU. Something to be said for angry, vindictive people who report crimes, but which more or less forced the true victim to come forward. Given the numbers of students involved, the numbers of faculty entitled to be suspicious, and the amount of time the abuse covered, the "culture of reporting at MSU" appeared to be conspicuously absent.

Even though a much more significant case, with far-reaching ramifications, the accused was not a popular Quarterback and so various "narratives" would not be invoked. Too, MSU simply "handled" it, and the Bozeman Daily Chronicle simply reported it. The straightforward reporting of the Chronicle is in marked contrast to the dramatic and opinion-laden advocacy pieces masquerading as "news articles" offered by the Missoulian.

That one did result in a lawsuit against MSU, filed at the end of 2013.
MSU music department staff, as well as the school's legal counsel, were aware of Komiyama's actions yet did nothing to intervene, the lawsuit alleges.

“Komiyama's conduct continued unabated although the misdeeds were well known to faculty,” wrote the woman's attorney Geoffrey Angel, of Bozeman.
http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/montana_state_university/former-student-claims-she-was-raped-by-music-professor-sues/article_d94aaa9a-376b-11e3-b0fa-001a4bcf887a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The lawsuit remains pending.

bigsky33 said:
It is a shame that UM is giving our State such a bad name in his book.
http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/crime/msu-hopes-krakauer-book-on-um-rapes-won-t-hurt/article_35763534-8e20-56d5-a831-67bb9ed99511.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Montana State University is breathing deeply and hoping the public won’t confuse the Bozeman campus with its rival 200 miles away. ...

He said he’s proud of changes MSU has made since the federal government in 2011 put all U.S. campuses on notice that it expected greater efforts to prevent sexual assaults that could keep students from pursuing their education.
No mention of a "culture of reporting."

http://missoulian.com/news/local/missoula-improves-process-for-victims-after-rape-crisis/article_f13c9e79-3582-5ac4-b8a8-22f4f84b57b2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suppose for those interested in ultimate ironies, the only litigation against a University resulting from recent rape allegations and university mishandling of them is against .... Montana State University, whereas the only possible litigation arising out of UM's debacle is against ... "writers" who have misrepresented what happened.

Plot twist, UMGriz75 just signed a deal to publish a book about irresponsible journalism. I hear the working title is "Krakauer"

wbtfg said:
Plot twist, UMGriz75 just signed a deal to publish a book about irresponsible journalism. I hear the working title is "Krakauer"

Can I pre-order? Likely well thought out and reported, I'd like to read it.

mcg said:
wbtfg said:
I appreciate the kind remarks. It is tempting. :twisted:

UMGriz75 said:
mcg said:
wbtfg said:
All 300 egriz regulars will buy a copy.

getgrizzy said:
UMGriz75 said:
mcg said:
wbtfg said:
All 300 egriz regulars will buy a copy.
You would be my best advertisement! Indeed, I would owe it all to you, but don't expect a check.

Back