• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Krakauer getting defensive?

getgrizzy said:
UMGriz75 said:
getgrizzy said:
UMGriz75 said:
I appreciate the kind remarks. It is tempting. :twisted:
All 300 egriz regulars will buy a copy.
You would be my best advertisement! Indeed, I would owe it all to you, but don't expect a check.
I would. Too bad you can't do it.
God, you are hilarious to taunt. Like poking at an angry little kid, who finally bundles his little self up to all of his three foot Hobbit glory and blusters out a defiant ' OH YEAH?"

And where are we now:
Attorney Meloy is very sound legal and investigation advocate,

Student Code hearing and parties found facts strong enough to expel...is that information enough
to drive a civil suit and a second resulting suit against UM and committee for the flaws identified
at the commissioners level?

The momentum and parties responding so far are definitely creating additional sales.

And yes, it is very possible that national organizations are contemplating a lead position
in analyzing all of the above.

OlPonyQB said:
Student Code hearing and parties found facts strong enough to expel...is that information enough
to drive a civil suit and a second resulting suit against UM and committee for the flaws identified
at the commissioners level?
No. Anyone dumb enough to bring a suit on those grounds "lacks standing."

The 60 or so lawsuits currently filed in the US under similar circumstances involved aggrieved males, adjudicated under the "flawed" standards. Federal courts are tending to agree with them.

info said:
bearister said:
Big pile of books at Costco. They don't seem to be flying off the shelves.
Same in the Spokane Costco..
I am kind of surprised Costco is carrying the book. They don't usually carry brand new books do they? I mean sure, Costco is sort of a big contributor to the Democratic Party (that's is the party that declared three war on women right?), and even though they are non-Union, and work a lot of people part time, and buy 90% of their stuff from China, that doesn't mean they don't support the American working man that the Democratic Party represents, right? I mean, you never see bums outside of Costco begging for change like you do at Walmart right, so they must have a different customer base that would never go for tabloid journalism (though it seems like 90% of the people are there for be free samples). Strange to me, definitely not part of a political agenda.

Grizbeer said:
info said:
bearister said:
I am kind of surprised Costco is carrying the book. They don't usually carry brand new books do they? I mean sure, Costco is sort of a big contributor to the Democratic Party (that's is the party that declared three war on women right?), and even though they are non-Union, and work a lot of people part time, and buy 90% of their stuff from China, that doesn't mean they don't support the American working man that the Democratic Party represents, right? I mean, you never see bums outside of Costco begging for change like you do at Walmart right, so they must have a different customer base that would never go for tabloid journalism (though it seems like 90% of the people are there for be free samples). Strange to me, definitely not part of a political agenda.

My guess is they are under contract to get a buttload of them at a huge discount....like all their products.

What I am curious to know is are new releases, especially with the hype that preceded this book, usually discounted so quickly? Do people pay full price when even what is supposed to be a best seller is sure to be discounted within a week or two? Is this normal or is it a sure sign of a flop?

signedbewildered said:
Grizbeer said:
info said:
bearister said:

My guess is they are under contract to get a buttload of them at a huge discount....like all their products.

What I am curious to know is are new releases, especially with the hype that preceded this book, usually discounted so quickly? Do people pay full price when even what is supposed to be a best seller is sure to be discounted within a week or two? Is this normal or is it a sure sign of a flop?
Probably right. Remember when they got that new non-fiction book in called The Bible? This is probably like that. Except this is completely non-fiction, cause Costco is is an independent for profit company that isn't political in any way.

Black's defines Standing: a right of people to challenge the conduct of another person
in a court.
Hint---2 principals probably have standing....I will let you connect the dots.
Hopefully the 75 refers to some basketball camp you attended in 1975 on the UM campus.

The big publishers rely on sophisticated algorithms these days for marketing books. Based on pre-publication publicity, and the size of the first printing, much like theatrical releases there are expectations as to "opening week sales" and the actual results will determine post-printing marketing strategy and decisions as to second printings, continued marketing, or deep discounting.

Deep discounting to chains like Costco puts the publisher in competition with its own primary market such as Barnes & Noble, and so is not favored unless a book is really in the dumpster as far as sales are concerned. I suspect the publisher quickly realized after first week sales that it was going to end up with 499,000 hardcover books on its hands.

OlPonyQB said:
Black's defines Standing: a right of people to challenge the conduct of another person in a court. Hint---2 principals probably have standing....I will let you connect the dots. Hopefully the 75 refers to some basketball camp you attended in 1975 on the UM campus.
Missing a pretty big dot there. The "conduct of another person" has to violate a legal duty to the person aggrieved. You can't just willy nilly sue because you don't like someone's conduct.

The two principals? JJ would likely not contest a decision in his favor. Jane Doe has no standing to contest a university admission policy unless she is personally aggrieved by it, ie, she was kicked out of school. She wasn't.

Those are two pretty big dots.

Connect them.

Costco has always sold the cream of the crop best sellers from all publishers. They buy books on a non returnable basis and sell them below the cost of independent retailers, probably at a 3% profit. There is no contractual basis for them buying books from publishers and they do not buy a title because it is not performing to a publishers expectations. Most new hard back releases have about a 12 month shelf life before it is released as a paperback.

ozcat said:
Costco has always sold the cream of the crop best sellers from all publishers. They buy books on a non returnable basis and sell them below the cost of independent retailers, probably at a 3% profit. There is no contractual basis for them buying books from publishers and they do not buy a title because it is not performing to a publishers expectations. Most new hard back releases have about a 12 month shelf life before it is released as a paperback.
The latest iteration of Costco and its relationship with sellers and pricing can be found at "Costco v. Johnson & Johnson 15-cv-00941, Federal Court, Northern District of California.

It remains obvious to me that getgrizly wanted JJ to be found guilty in district court of rape.

And it keeps chirping and chirping, we get it over and over (your opinion).

299 e-grizers + 1

IroneagleXP said:
Krakauer isn't a hack. He is depicted on this forum as a hack because he is exposing this "university" (and I use university VERY loosely) and football program for the stinking pile of shit that it is. I applaud Krakauer. UM deserves all the poor publicity that he can shovel on it.

I like the content but whoever decided to put an iconic picture of UM's campus looming in the rape ridden wasteland that is missoula is a f***[*] genius! :clap:
635590820521456528-Missoula-Krakauer-cover_zpsuwl0wls9.jpg

The flaw with your logic is he isn't really exposing Missoula, in fact he thought enough of Missoula to make it the living example of how normal some of our systemic flaws were; in short, what was happening was not that exceptional. I am not afraid of this book as I don't sanctify Missoula, nor will the text tarnish the six incredible years I spent there getting an education which continues to serve me well. The other main problem I see with Krakauer's attempt is assuming the book would hit hard with people outside the FCS spectrum of which he himself admits in his book is a small population. With plenty of places going through similar problems with athletes and sexual assault why choose Missoula? Two years ago a BCS national champion had it's star quarterback go through a similar experience, and he goes with Missoula? This is where he failed to make the desired impact with the general public. Ninety percent of the college football loving world could not find Missoula on a map or probably spell it for that matter. They care on a human level, but only those of us who love Missoula understand the emotional impact the Griz have on our community. Put FSU, Penn State, Florida, Miami, shoot even Brown (an ivy) recently had accusations of sexual assault on the cover and you make a bigger impact with the general public. Krakauer put for par here, and I think this will be the reason the book fails to find it's footing with the general public. Then again, one appearance on the right talk show, and....wait, you're an Eastern graduate. I should have started with telling you the definition of logic. My B.

Cringer be aware that TinSeagullXP is actually a Cat fan emulating an EWU fan, and is an embarrassment to both fanbases.

jodcon said:
Cringer be aware that TinSeagullXP is actually a Cat fan emulating an EWU fan, and is an embarrassment to both fanbases.

If true that is really, really sad.

Cringer said:
IroneagleXP said:
Krakauer isn't a hack. He is depicted on this forum as a hack because he is exposing this "university" (and I use university VERY loosely) and football program for the stinking pile of shit that it is. I applaud Krakauer. UM deserves all the poor publicity that he can shovel on it.

I like the content but whoever decided to put an iconic picture of UM's campus looming in the rape ridden wasteland that is missoula is a f***[*] genius! :clap:
635590820521456528-Missoula-Krakauer-cover_zpsuwl0wls9.jpg

The flaw with your logic is he isn't really exposing Missoula, in fact he thought enough of Missoula to make it the living example of how normal some of our systemic flaws were; in short, what was happening was not that exceptional. I am not afraid of this book as I don't sanctify Missoula, nor will the text tarnish the six incredible years I spent there getting an education which continues to serve me well. The other main problem I see with Krakauer's attempt is assuming the book would hit hard with people outside the FCS spectrum of which he himself admits in his book is a small population. With plenty of places going through similar problems with athletes and sexual assault why choose Missoula? Two years ago a BCS national champion had it's star quarterback go through a similar experience, and he goes with Missoula? This is where he failed to make the desired impact with the general public. Ninety percent of the college football loving world could not find Missoula on a map or probably spell it for that matter. They care on a human level, but only those of us who love Missoula understand the emotional impact the Griz have on our community. Put FSU, Penn State, Florida, Miami, shoot even Brown (an ivy) recently had accusations of sexual assault on the cover and you make a bigger impact with the general public. Krakauer put for par here, and I think this will be the reason the book fails to find it's footing with the general public. Then again, one appearance on the right talk show, and....wait, you're an Eastern graduate. I should have started with telling you the definition of logic. My B.

Because he read and believed everything he read in The Missoulian.

Grizbeer, have you ever walked by the book aisle at Costco?
You almost always have your pick of several screeds by Dick Cheney, Sarah Palin and the like claiming that President Obama is responsible for the kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby. I've never noticed a left wing agenda in the book selection. Seems to me to be about selling books.

Back