• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

McDowell back in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you be for it, or against it?
He is a good player and adds a certain element that is not currently on the team. I personally think there are more important areas that a scholarship could be used on, if we have one available, but he does add value, athleticism, and a unique skillset.

I am not going to speak on the locker room conversation. I am not in the locker room everyday and don’t know how individual players/coaches “feel”. There is a certain balance of work relationship/friendship on every team and it seems with the transfer portal and NIL players are becoming much more like mercenaries. Hauck historically recruits personality and has very tight knit locker rooms with close friends.

I hope our QB play improves next year. I think Fife or Ah Yat are the guys to do that, but if McDowell comes back, and takes us to another National Championship, I won’t be complaining!

I hope McDowell ends up on a roster, he can contribute at the D1 level.

I think I successfully avoided your question. Lol. Go Griz!

From the beginning I thought all his schtick was Grad School related. I just didn't have all the pieces of this jigsaw puzzle in the right places.

Some have wondered about being accepted into a grad program to continue. There is such a thing as provisional acceptance while your transcripts, scores, and whatever, are evaluated prior to official acceptance. McDowell had transcripts from THREE SCHOOLS to be evaluated, including a Community College. That might take a little longer to evaluate.

We don't know if he was trying for a Psych Degree Program(highly competitive area)or something else. Not accepted by UMs Psych Dept.? Temple probably shut him out. Maybe UM will accept him as a Business or Education Grad Student, giving him enough wiggle room to become eligible. Lots of 'maybe's. More wrinkles in this story than a sit-com.

Fully agree and am 100 percent with moving

Just wanted to report what I heard on the radio and stir up this subject a bit more
One morning when I was 10, walking to school one morning, a classmate walked alongside. We passed a hornets nest, and this kid decided it would be a good idea to ram a stick through it, and bring it to school. He did so, but he walked alone the rest of the way. Alone, except for a couple hundred pissed off hornets.
You gotta be that kid from long ago, stirring up eGriz. Bzzzz!!!

1. "We found out on Saturday morning, that's when he told us," Drayton said. "We didn't know anything prior to that.”

McDowell participated in five spring practice sessions after joining the team in January and going through winter workouts. He was very much in the mix for the starting job based on his early performance.
"We were at practice number six at the time and he was definitely in a good spot with the competition," Drayton said. "But in his mind he's got to find a place that's going to be right for him in his last year of play.”

"He was good-to-go," Drayton said. "He has his degree, so he has the free will to go when he wants where he wants, which is tough to manage a football team that way. It does allow some kids to make decisions, in my opinion, prematurely.”

"Drayton admitted that McDowell's decision caught him by surprise.”

2. "Coach Stan Drayton says Cliff McDowell informed the team on Saturday morning that he was leaving the team (after five practices) and it came as a surprise.”

3. "Montana transfer Cliff McDowell has exited the Temple football program after two weeks of spring practice and is reportedly back in the transfer portal. McDowell’s departure was first reported on social media on Monday afternoon by Mike Farrell Sports. A Temple spokesperson later confirmed that the 6-4 quarterback had left the team."

"At Temple, McDowell participated in the first five practice sessions this spring but was not in attendance for the team’s first full-scale scrimmage on Saturday. He had produced big plays and touchdowns with his arm and his legs in 11-on-11 work during the first two weeks of spring drills, according to the team’s practice blog.”

McDowell did talk to reporters after practice last weekend and indicated that things had gotten off to a good start on North Broad Street.

“Every day I’m getting more and more comfortable with the playbook,” he said. “We’ve got much more, so we’ve just got to keep stacking.”

“Ever since my first school I was at, the Ragin’ Cajuns, it had always been my goal to go back to FBS,” McDowell said. “And I stayed in FCS a little bit just to get some film and show what I could do. And thankfully the Temple coaches came by and trusted me to come and make a difference in their program.”

1. "We found out on Saturday morning, that's when he told us," Drayton said. "We didn't know anything prior to that.”

McDowell participated in five spring practice sessions after joining the team in January and going through winter workouts. He was very much in the mix for the starting job based on his early performance.
"We were at practice number six at the time and he was definitely in a good spot with the competition," Drayton said. "But in his mind he's got to find a place that's going to be right for him in his last year of play.”

"He was good-to-go," Drayton said. "He has his degree, so he has the free will to go when he wants where he wants, which is tough to manage a football team that way. It does allow some kids to make decisions, in my opinion, prematurely.”

"Drayton admitted that McDowell's decision caught him by surprise.”

2. "Coach Stan Drayton says Cliff McDowell informed the team on Saturday morning that he was leaving the team (after five practices) and it came as a surprise.”

3. "Montana transfer Cliff McDowell has exited the Temple football program after two weeks of spring practice and is reportedly back in the transfer portal. McDowell’s departure was first reported on social media on Monday afternoon by Mike Farrell Sports. A Temple spokesperson later confirmed that the 6-4 quarterback had left the team."

"At Temple, McDowell participated in the first five practice sessions this spring but was not in attendance for the team’s first full-scale scrimmage on Saturday. He had produced big plays and touchdowns with his arm and his legs in 11-on-11 work during the first two weeks of spring drills, according to the team’s practice blog.”

McDowell did talk to reporters after practice last weekend and indicated that things had gotten off to a good start on North Broad Street.

“Every day I’m getting more and more comfortable with the playbook,” he said. “We’ve got much more, so we’ve just got to keep stacking.”

“Ever since my first school I was at, the Ragin’ Cajuns, it had always been my goal to go back to FBS,” McDowell said. “And I stayed in FCS a little bit just to get some film and show what I could do. And thankfully the Temple coaches came by and trusted me to come and make a difference in their program.”

Reading this doesn't make me want him on the Griz.

Huh? These are quotes from Temple publications and Drayton is the Temple coach. Or, at least the stuff in my last post, which you quoted.
I'm aware of whose quotes they are. Cliff seems to have been doing great at Temple, then surprised his coach and team by just quitting. He seems to be a confused young man.

Colter just said on the radio he is hearing cliff may be coming back, sounds like one source he has

Just saying what I heard via the radio
Any wonder why he keeps getting labeled as a bubzy sympathizer? He complains about the limited access to the program, then is the one who has insider information? Doubtful!

Looks like a duck.✓
Quacks like a duck.✓
Swims like a duck.✓

'By yumpin' yimminy Olaf, I tink we got us a duck!'🧐🦆

A long, long time ago, one set of grandparents had no phone, the other had a 'party line' number. I never knew how many people were on the party line' for that particular number, but it was a few. Each household had a ring pattern like Morse Code. Let's say two long rings and a short would be your number, hence, your call, so pick up and talk to whomever called you. Downside was anybody else could listen in.
EGriz is like a party line, anybody can read what is written. Your 'inside jokes' are there for ALL to read, and understand or misunderstand as they will. If a reader thinks the style is condescending, it is. One can improve his vocabulary, not post, or go to a Private Message. No need to get huffy.
My guess is you don’t have to explain a party line to many on this board…

He does not have the ability to win a national championship. He was totally exposed in Frisco. Please don't take him back on the team
FFS, what a putz you are. Strap up, Staubach.

How much better do you think he’d be with a returning TE that can catch 40 balls a year? Or another stud RB added to the stable? Or a veteran O-line and all WR’s returning? I’d take him back in a heartbeat—he added the ONE thing missing from the QB room the past several years — DURABILITY.

Right now we have 5 QBs on the roster, and it will be 6 this coming fall. Does all 6 have full scholarships? I've played football on every level except for professional and 6 QBs seem like a lot. And I understand depth at every position and usually most teams keep 4 QBs in college, maybe 5. Professional teams don't ever keep more than 4. So if Cliff comes back that will be 7 QBs. And when you add more QBs, other ones will tend to leave if they feel like they won't play or are getting passed over. I hope everything works out for the best for the team and individual players who are directly impacted by this. Can't wait to see the Spring game next week. Go GRIZ!!!

How much better do you think he’d be with a returning TE that can catch 40 balls a year? Or another stud RB added to the stable? Or a veteran O-line and all WR’s returning? I’d take him back in a heartbeat—he added the ONE thing missing from the QB room the past several years — DURABILITY.
A 'Rainbows and Unicorns' season, finally! I've been waiting patiently for one of these for what seems like forever.

OK, OK, I haven't been so patient...

Right now we have 5 QBs on the roster, and it will be 6 this coming fall. Does all 6 have full scholarships? I've played football on every level except for professional and 6 QBs seem like a lot. And I understand depth at every position and usually most teams keep 4 QBs in college, maybe 5. Professional teams don't ever keep more than 4. So if Cliff comes back that will be 7 QBs. And when you add more QBs, other ones will tend to leave if they feel like they won't play or are getting passed over. I hope everything works out for the best for the team and individual players who are directly impacted by this. Can't wait to see the Spring game next week. Go GRIZ!!!
So…problem solved?

Does childish name calling for a poster who has a different opinion than you make you feel intelligent? Your post is garbage, as usual, because you can't resist the little personal digs. You have this weird need to be relevant, but fail consistently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back