• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

McDowell back in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly the conventional thinking. Unconventional thinking could be to tell the departing that he has two weeks (or whatever timeframe works) and you're going to try to find a replacement in the interim. No guarantees of a scholarship or position on depth chart if he wants to return. It would take some more nimble management of moving parts than coaches are probably used to.

It's definitely way easier to have a policy that if you enter the portal for any amount of time, you are dead to the program. But it might not be the most forward-thinking way to make the program the best it can be.
We will just have to agree to disagree...because you are just plain wrong on this.

I just don't think it would be an overall positive.
Fair enough. Back to the drawing board. I still like the idea of trying to get FBS talent that would otherwise sit the bench for a couple years at those schools. Everyone has read my ramblings on that. IDK, I'm just not super stoked about a quarter century+ between NCs and a decade between BCS championships. There have to be opportunities out there now that everything has changed.

Fair enough. Back to the drawing board. I still like the idea of trying to get FBS talent that would otherwise sit the bench for a couple years at those schools. Everyone has read my ramblings on that. IDK, I'm just not super stoked about a quarter century+ between NCs and a decade between BCS championships. There have to be opportunities out there now that everything has changed.
There is, and UM is taking advantage.

A long, long time ago, one set of grandparents had no phone, the other had a 'party line' number. I never knew how many people were on the party line' for that particular number, but it was a few. Each household had a ring pattern like Morse Code. Let's say two long rings and a short would be your number, hence, your call, so pick up and talk to whomever called you. Downside was anybody else could listen in.
EGriz is like a party line, anybody can read what is written. Your 'inside jokes' are there for ALL to read, and understand or misunderstand as they will. If a reader thinks the style is condescending, it is. One can improve his vocabulary, not post, or go to a Private Message. No need to get huffy.

A long, long time ago, one set of grandparents had no phone, the other had a 'party line' number. I never knew how many people were on the party line' for that particular number, but it was a few. Each household had a ring pattern like Morse Code. Let's say two long rings and a short would be your number, hence, your call, so pick up and talk to whomever called you. Downside was anybody else could listen in.
EGriz is like a party line, anybody can read what is written. Your 'inside jokes' are there for ALL to read, and understand or misunderstand as they will. If a reader thinks the style is condescending, it is. One can improve his vocabulary, not post, or go to a Private Message. No need to get huffy.
We didn't get a phone at the ranch house where I grew up until I was about 25. A party line, or any line, would have been great.

Yeah, you grew up with it, so it was the norm. It's amazing with what was just 'normal' everyday stuff. Things you take for granted nowadays, phone, indoor plumbing, and the like, were not there, but you or I never thought about it.

A trip to the outhouse in -20F or colder weather brought up the question, 'how fast can you pinch a loaf?' Can't wait for Spring. Planning ahead was key. Five gallon bucket(with lid)saved a lot of discomfort, and stink.

People living in the late 19th or early 20th century, were a relative tough lot. Never knew what they were 'missing.'

Yeah, you grew up with it, so it was the norm. It's amazing with what was just 'normal' everyday stuff. Things you take for granted nowadays, phone, indoor plumbing, and the like, were not there, but you or I never thought about it.

A trip to the outhouse in -20F or colder weather brought up the question, 'how fast can you pinch a loaf?' Can't wait for Spring. Planning ahead was key. Five gallon bucket(with lid)saved a lot of discomfort, and stink.

People living in the late 19th or early 20th century, were a relative tough lot. Never knew what they were 'missing.'
Wasn’t their life expectancy like 40 also? You were tuff or you died. Not the case today.

Wasn’t their life expectancy like 40 also? You were tuff or you died. Not the case today.
They were so tuff that they measured tuffness by how many BMs snapped off on their way out on account of the cold. Now, that’s TUFF. We should go back to that model. Whole world’s gone mad.

Maybe the coaching staff knew that Cliff's relationship with the team had changed. For example, maybe the staff made it crystal clear that the QB position was open for competition--I know, I know, positions are always open for competition on BH's teams--and Cliff didn't like that and said he was going to move on. If that's the case, the Montana staff has no incentive to bring him back, as he's already said (and shown, by hitting the portal) that he didn't want to compete for the job again. Why bring someone back who's just going to be a disgruntled player?

Don't know the facts here, just guessing at a plausible set of circumstances.

Hope he's able to latch on somewhere he likes...not sure what about UM he didn't like, and can't fathom what that could be other than what I've surmised above. We'll probably never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back