• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

msu at NAU Game Thread

CDAGRIZ said:
The Cat defense has been this way for a long time now. I'm not sure how it could improve now, but maybe. One thing is for sure: Ron Ash's decision making is really awful. Any word yet on what (or who) he blamed for his inept calls?

I'm guessing the charter flight maintenance crew.

Mmont said:
signedbewildered said:
MSUs offense scored 41 and 50 points in their losses. How's that for defense?

With that said NAU I believe could have scored more and held the scats to less late in the game.

But nau didn't. Yes The Cats defense sucks, however if it improves the offensive scoring will get them wins. I do think their defense will improve. It cannot get worse.

Maybe, just maybe the Ds performance peaked last week.

CDAGRIZ said:
The Cat defense has been this way for a long time now. I'm not sure how it could improve now, but maybe. One thing is for sure: Ron Ash's decision making is really awful. Any word yet on what (or who) he blamed for his inept calls?

Do you mean the risky calls he made? Explain those inept calls? Last week against Cal Poly, they worked. This week they worked a couple of times and a couple not. Stitt is a risk taker too so he says but has not shown it since NDSU. The bottom line is when they work they are great and if not the coach is inept. I like that both coaches are willing to go for it.

Fake punt RUN on 4th & 10 in his own territory? Onside kick for no reason when the defense had already shown that it can't stop anything? Going for 2 for no reason in particular? Yeah . . .

signedbewildered said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I'm guessing the charter flight maintenance crew.

I honestly would not be surprised.

Mmont said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Do you mean the risky calls he made? Explain those inept calls? Last week against Cal Poly, they worked. This week they worked a couple of times and a couple not. Stitt is a risk taker too so he says but has not shown it since NDSU. The bottom line is when they work they are great and if not the coach is inept. I like that both coaches are willing to go for it.
Going for 4th down on your own 25 involves a level of risk, as an example.
Cannot wait for the unveil of this born again poster.

Mmont, you are honestly the ONLY Cat fan trying to rationalize the 41 points on either board. Even the most diehard of Cat fans on BN are saying the 21 points in the fourth quarter were completely meaningless and that it was an NAU beatdown.

Mmont said:
Ash seems to be making more risky calls this year; he seems to have "Stitt Envy" and is trying to prove that he is just as innovative and aggressive as Stitt.

So far, a major "fail." It is less "innovative" than just bizarre.

UMGriz75 said:
Mmont said:
Ash seems to be making more risky calls this year; he seems to have "Stitt Envy" and is trying to prove that he is just as innovative and aggressive as Stitt.

Was thinking the same thing today. This is out of the blue for Ash.

signedbewildered said:
UMGriz75 said:
Mmont said:

Was thinking the same thing today. This is out of the blue for Ash.

Same here. I usually think he will punt on third down rather than try a fake punt run from his own 30. It's always fun to see the Cats flounder, but I do hope they get a new coach soon since they are our FCS ball and chain.

CDAGRIZ said:
Fake punt RUN on 4th & 10 in his own territory? Onside kick for no reason when the defense had already shown that it can't stop anything? Going for 2 for no reason in particular? Yeah . . .

They have been very successful in the past on fake punts. The one they ran tonight was not a bad call and close to being a good play. NAU was lucky to make that play. The Cats have a lot of confidence this year in their special teams. Onside kicks are always a big gamble but being down like they were, I agree that it was worth a try. If Prukop would have hit a wide open Brekke , they probably would have tied the game. I do think the Cats have a great deal of confidence in their offense and that includes making two point conversions. Nothing wrong with that. It's called being aggressive. I know a lot of Griz fans would like that from Stitt.

Mmont said:
CDAGRIZ said:

They have been very successful in the past on fake punts. The one they ran tonight was not a bad call and close to being a good play. NAU was lucky to make that play. The Cats have a lot of confidence this year in their special teams. Onside kicks are always a big gamble but being down like they were, I agree that it was worth a try. If Prukop would have hit a wide open Brekke , they probably would have tied the game. I do think the Cats have a great deal of confidence in their offense and that includes making two point conversions. Nothing wrong with that. It's called being aggressive. I know a lot of Griz fans would like that from Stitt.

Cool. Glad you liked those calls. Ash is doing great. :thumb:

I wasn't able to watch this game, I was at a benefit, and was actually following it on the BN game thread, as well as ESPN.com. I saw on BN something about emails being read during the game from Griz fans? Can anyone elaborate on this. Words that were used to describe the emails were "offensive" and "trolling" What did the actual e-mails say?

havgrizfan said:
I wasn't able to watch this game, I was at a benefit, and was actually following it on the BN game thread, as well as ESPN.com. I saw on BN something about emails being read during the game from Griz fans? Can anyone elaborate on this. Words that were used to describe the emails were "offensive" and "trolling" What did the actual e-mails say?

I just heard a few things the announcers read on the air about Griz fans chiming in via e-mail rooting for NAU. I didn't hear anything offensive, but I was switching back and forth between MSU and UCLA.

If you look at last season, the Cats did many going for it on fourth down and were successful. They did more than average fake punts that were a success too. Stitt has not done much in that way this year. The Griz defense is what has been really good. The offense has sucked!

Back