• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ndsu and Alabama continue to prove that D wins championships

griz9501 said:
cclarkblues said:
bgbigdog said:
Oregon just demoted the D coordinator - going back to coaching linebackers.

Probably lucky to have a job.

I like Don Pellum he's been at Oregon for years, but I concur his defense has been mediocre at best.

Holy crap just read an article Oregon D gave up 37.5 points this season! That is right up there with the bobcat D this season. Good god.

griz9501 said:
The_Real_Chief said:
griz9501 said:
Bronco said:
Listening to the FCS Wedge radio show those are the two teams the new Cat coach said he will be modeling his offense after...power run
Cut Ash down I believe by saying stats are for losers by putting up big offensive numbers and losing the game.
Said he won't think or worry about the Griz until the end of November
The FCS Wedge puts on a good program

Stitt needs to incorporate a solid run game into his spread offense.
It'd be nice for our QB to develop some mobile quickness. Our front 7 need to develop some technique, muscle, and quickness to stop tough running teams.

That NDSU playoff game was a sight for sore eyes; NDSU just kept pounding the ball while our defense was out on the field way too long. Have to factor in time of possession too; if we had a solid run game we can control the clock, just like NDSU.

I'm all for the air raid, fast tempo, etc., but we seriously need to be able to run the ball effectively. For Griz D, we need to stick with our roots and do 4-3 for the teams that hammer the run. Some 5-2 blitzing on some plays if O decides to pass. Stitt (if he hasn't) should watch film of Oregon vs. TCU and look at Matt Lubick's play calling during first half against TCU, he found matchups and capitalized. Oregon was rolling until Adams and Hegarty left the game. I like that just the QB and RB make the decisions, everyone else on offense knows their job.

Chaote was Boise's RB coach; he'll use some concepts from mentor Chris Petersen, but he reminds me of Mick Delaney's coaching (traditional football style).

I'm sure bobcats will use TEs and 2 backs on some plays. They'll use motion with TE to find gaps in our D line to run the ball. That's my guess. We will shut them down.

Can't wait for November 2016! WE ARE MONTANA is going to be rockin'! Bring your ear muffs bobcats!

@Coach Gregorak you are going to get a taste of Montana's noise! :lol:

This post is on point :thumb:

Thanks! I'm just a passionate fan and a student of the game :)

Transfer DL Brandt Davidson, on hudl, self-reports 6'3", 295 lbs and 4.90 forty. There's your muscle and quickness you are looking for.

Delaney mentored Choke as well. I cringed when I saw the Mickster at Chokes hiring announcement.

Maxim said:
Alabama and Ndsu have a lot in common in that they both win titles with a domimating defense and solid run game. Biggest keys to their success if having the best defensive and offensive lines in football. They dominate in the trenches. And it's interesting because the title matchups for both are similar both will face the #1 team who scores lots of points because of their dual threat qb. They have both faced high powered offenses in the past but still win because they execute so well. Can the Griz Win titles with just a high powered O? Hasn't worked out for Oregon. That is why we need an upgrade over Gregorak because that d is not dominant enough to win championships and I think Stitt realive that.

I predict ndsu goes down. :twocents:

IntuitiveGriz said:
griz9501 said:
The_Real_Chief said:
griz9501 said:
Stitt needs to incorporate a solid run game into his spread offense.
It'd be nice for our QB to develop some mobile quickness. Our front 7 need to develop some technique, muscle, and quickness to stop tough running teams.

That NDSU playoff game was a sight for sore eyes; NDSU just kept pounding the ball while our defense was out on the field way too long. Have to factor in time of possession too; if we had a solid run game we can control the clock, just like NDSU.

I'm all for the air raid, fast tempo, etc., but we seriously need to be able to run the ball effectively. For Griz D, we need to stick with our roots and do 4-3 for the teams that hammer the run. Some 5-2 blitzing on some plays if O decides to pass. Stitt (if he hasn't) should watch film of Oregon vs. TCU and look at Matt Lubick's play calling during first half against TCU, he found matchups and capitalized. Oregon was rolling until Adams and Hegarty left the game. I like that just the QB and RB make the decisions, everyone else on offense knows their job.

Chaote was Boise's RB coach; he'll use some concepts from mentor Chris Petersen, but he reminds me of Mick Delaney's coaching (traditional football style).

I'm sure bobcats will use TEs and 2 backs on some plays. They'll use motion with TE to find gaps in our D line to run the ball. That's my guess. We will shut them down.

Can't wait for November 2016! WE ARE MONTANA is going to be rockin'! Bring your ear muffs bobcats!

@Coach Gregorak you are going to get a taste of Montana's noise! :lol:

Transfer DL Brandt Davidson, on hudl, self-reports 6'3", 295 lbs and 4.90 forty. There's your muscle and quickness you are looking for.

Delaney mentored Choke as well. I cringed when I saw the Mickster at Chokes hiring announcement.

LOL, I like Mick and Mick should be happy for him.

kemajic said:
Last night Alabama proved special teams win championships.

Just what I was thinking. Clemson was better than I thought. Just gave up those 2 plays and let tight end get wide a time or two too many times.

kemajic said:

No, everyone knows that only defense wins games, even ones that give up 550 yards of offense in a game.

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:

Just what I was thinking. Clemson was better than I thought. Just gave up those 2 plays and let tight end get wide a time or two too many times.
Could a tight end still fit in our offense scheme?

fanofzoo said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:

Could a tight end still fit in our offense scheme?

Supposedly the tight end position will be a part of our offense this year...

griz9501 said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
griz9501 said:
The_Real_Chief said:

LOL, I like Mick and Mick should be happy for him.

LMAO, I love Mick and of course Mick should be happy for him.

Jeff Choke (Huskies), Mick Delaney, Matt Lubick (Ducks) were all smiles during a picture this past season they took together, on the field, at Chokes loss in the Oregon vs Washington game in Seattle (Oct 17). Mickster influenced both coaches.

In the Alabama/Clemson game which team had more yards passing? Which team had more yards rushing?

That's right - Clemson.
Clemson's D outplayed Bama's D.
To say D wins championships is pure poppycock as Big G likes to say.
Offense, Defense, Special Teams, Coaching - all or any can make the difference.

In this year's FCS and FBS championships the 2 teams with the fewest turnovers won the game. Counting the semifinal games and championship games of last year and this year in the FBS only one game broke this statistic - all the winning teams had fewer turnovers, except for the Oregon/ Ohio State game.

Move it up to the NFL - are you going to tell me that NE had a better D than Seattle? Last year's Super Bowl was won with a INT. Not because the Patriot defense was better than Seattle's.

Rule #1 - If you win the turnover battle, you will most likely win the game!

behappp said:
In the Alabama/Clemson game which team had more yards passing? Which team had more yards rushing?

That's right - Clemson.
Clemson's D outplayed Bama's D.
To say D wins championships is pure poppycock as Big G likes to say.
Offense, Defense, Special Teams, Coaching - all or any can make the difference.

In this year's FCS and FBS championships the 2 teams with the fewest turnovers won the game. Counting the semifinal games and championship games of last year and this year in the FBS only one game broke this statistic - all the winning teams had fewer turnovers, except for the Oregon/ Ohio State game.

Move it up to the NFL - are you going to tell me that NE had a better D than Seattle? Last year's Super Bowl was won with a INT. Not because the Patriot defense was better than Seattle's.

Rule #1 - If you win the turnover battle, you will most likely win the game!

Interesting theory. Who made that INT? Oh, that's right....the Patriots D.

Actually, what they have proven is the "we are going to run the ball down your throats and make you stop us. oh, and you can't stop us" O is the way to go. They let you spread it out all you want, then they ram it down your throat and wear you out.

bgbigdog said:
Oregon just demoted the D coordinator - going back to coaching linebackers.
Oregon keeps their "D" gassed almost every game. It reminds me of another team I watched in person this past season. Run 3 plays and punt after a minute and 20 has expired...W.T.F. Hardcore blocking, tackling, and special teams gets the trophy... :egriz:

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:

This is like saying the Griz were better, just gave up those two pick sixes and the KO return. A "better" team doesn't give up those two plays. A "better" team doesn't let the tight end get wide too many times.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:

This is like saying the Griz were better, just gave up those two pick sixes and the KO return. A "better" team doesn't give up those two plays. A "better" team doesn't let the tight end get wide too many times.

Jeez, don't be silly or stupid, AZ. I said Clemson was better than I thought. I didn't say they were the better team. A good poster doesn't make dumb comments like you just did.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:

Jeez, don't be silly or stupid, AZ. I said Clemson was better than I thought. I didn't say they were the better team. A good poster doesn't make dumb comments like you just did.

So were the Griz better than you thought?

And as far as good posters making dumb comments, go see your attempt at evasion in the face of being wrong in the Defensive Metrics thread.

I was thinking of this topic before the Stupor bowl and thought I would look up stats for the year. According to NFL.com, in the regular season the Carolina Panthers finished 27th out of 32 teams in the regular season. Denver - whose defense "carried" the team all year - an amazing 32nd out of 32. Dead Last! Both teams were #1 seeds with below average defenses.

Unless you look at turnovers - always my belief on what is really telling. Carolina led the league with 22 interceptions and tied for the lead of fumbles recovered.
Denver was 13th in interceptions, but tied for the lead with Fumbles forced and 4th in fumbles recovered - 2 behind Carolina.

Interesting stuff.

Back