• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Nelson Suspended

IdaGriz01 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
I cant beleive that in 2016 marijuana is still considered a "street drug". I would guess we pick up 1-2 CB transfers.
Well, with minor exceptions, which do not include Montana, it is still illegal ... whether any particular individuals agree or not. So it was a dumb idea to begin with.

Still, I can’t believe that in 2016, anyone thinks “recreational” use of marijuana is a good idea. At a time when “society” is pretty-well hard over against smoking tobacco, somehow it’s glamorous and “with it” to smoke MJ.

Clinical studies (National Institute on Drug Abuse https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/marijuana) have documented -- with hard numbers -- the following:
Short term
• Impaired body movement
• Impaired memory
• Mental difficulties
• Mood changes (generally for the worse, after the “high” wears off)

The numbers are still being collected, but they strongly suggest that a driver impaired by MJ is at least as dangerous on the road as someone who is moderately impaired by alcohol.

Long term
• Breathing problems (jury still out on possible higher cancer risk)
• Increased chance of heart attack due to accelerated heart rate.
• Child mal-development in pregnant women exposed to MJ
• Temporary hallucinations or paranoia.
• Heavy use in the teen (or younger) years measurably decreases mental abilities.

Admittedly, the data does not support the notion that MJ is a “gateway” drug for “most” users. However, the data does show that 30% (that’s a roughly one-in-three chance for those who don’t like percentages) can develop strong dependence or clinical addiction. All-of-the-above adverse effects become much worse with dependence or addiction … and some fraction will indeed move on to stronger drugs when MJ no longer satisfies their craving for a high.

Smoking tobacco is bad enough. Except for those who have a true medical need, smoking marijuana is just downright stupid, no matter how great you think the temporary high is.
Says the guy whose avatar shows a dude drinking alcohol...pot meet kettle(house)...

IdaGriz01 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
I cant beleive that in 2016 marijuana is still considered a "street drug". I would guess we pick up 1-2 CB transfers.
Well, with minor exceptions, which do not include Montana, it is still illegal ... whether any particular individuals agree or not. So it was a dumb idea to begin with.

Still, I can’t believe that in 2016, anyone thinks “recreational” use of marijuana is a good idea. At a time when “society” is pretty-well hard over against smoking tobacco, somehow it’s glamorous and “with it” to smoke MJ.

Clinical studies (National Institute on Drug Abuse https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/marijuana) have documented -- with hard numbers -- the following:
Short term
• Impaired body movement
• Impaired memory
• Mental difficulties

The numbers are still being collected, but they strongly suggest that a driver impaired by MJ is at least as dangerous on the road as someone who is moderately impaired by alcohol.

Long term
• Heavy use in the teen (or younger) years measurably decreases mental abilities.

Admittedly, the data does not support the notion that MJ is a “gateway” drug for “most” users. However, the data does show that 30% (that’s a roughly one-in-three chance for those who don’t like percentages) can develop strong dependence or clinical addiction. All-of-the-above adverse effects become much worse with dependence or addiction … and some fraction will indeed move on to stronger drugs when MJ no longer satisfies their craving for a high.

Smoking tobacco is bad enough. Except for those who have a true medical need, smoking marijuana is just downright stupid, no matter how great you think the temporary high is.

I noticed your avatar is a guy with a pint glass. So I'm assuming you drink beer on occasion?

Lets take a look at alcohol...

Alcohol affects every organ in the drinker's body and can damage a developing fetus.

Intoxication can impair brain function and motor skills; heavy use can increase risk of certain cancers, stroke, and liver disease.

Alcoholism or alcohol dependence is a diagnosable disease characterized by a strong craving for alcohol, and/or continued use despite harm or personal injury.

Alcohol abuse, which can lead to alcoholism, is a pattern of drinking that results in harm to one's health, interpersonal relationships, or ability to work.

That actually sounds worse than Marijuana...and that's only from a very brief write-up on alcohol on that drugabuse.gov site. Hmm... In fact there are numerous studies out there (on the NIH site included) that show alcohol is far more dangerous than marijuana. Maybe we should bring back prohibition! (I'm kidding btw of course).

This next part isn't directed at any one particular poster. It's just something I find interesting... I always find it odd how big on personal freedoms the people of Montana seem to be... However, when it comes to a college kid eating a marijuana brownie or something like that they all of a sudden put down their beer, whiskey, or whatever and are appalled! They suddenly change from personal freedom advocates into totally angelic holier-than-thou church ladies who feel the need to force their morals on everyone else & would never dream of doing anything that wasn't 100% legal even in cases where the law is absurd! Yeah right... :p

cclarkblues said:
get'em_griz said:
I don't feel bad that he was suspended. He knew the rules and yet he chose to smoke MJ. Completely stupid on his part. Next man up.

If that's what happened, you are correct. See the post from his dad.
Deleted

Potomac Griz said:
IdaGriz01 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Short term
• Impaired body movement
• Impaired memory
• Mental difficulties

Long term

I noticed your avatar is a guy with a pint glass. So I'm assuming you drink beer on occasion?

Lets take a look at alcohol...

Alcohol affects every organ in the drinker's body and can damage a developing fetus.

Intoxication can impair brain function and motor skills; heavy use can increase risk of certain cancers, stroke, and liver disease.

Alcoholism or alcohol dependence is a diagnosable disease characterized by a strong craving for alcohol, and/or continued use despite harm or personal injury.

Alcohol abuse, which can lead to alcoholism, is a pattern of drinking that results in harm to one's health, interpersonal relationships, or ability to work.

That actually sounds worse than Marijuana...and that's only from a very brief write-up on alcohol on that drugabuse.gov site. Hmm... In fact there are numerous studies out there (on the NIH site included) that show alcohol is far more dangerous than marijuana. Maybe we should bring back prohibition! (I'm kidding btw of course).

This next part isn't directed at any one particular poster. It's just something I find interesting... I always find it odd how big on personal freedoms the people of Montana seem to be... However, when it comes to a college kid eating a marijuana brownie or something like that they all of a sudden put down their beer, whiskey, or whatever and are appalled! They quickly go from personal freedom advocates who don't want the Government telling them what to do and morph into holier-than-thou church ladies that want to force their morals down everyone's throats when it comes to what a person can and can't do with their own bodies.

While I agree with most of your points showing that alcohol abuse is as bad or worse than smoking pot, I don't believe you really understand the backlash from some Griz fans. Fans are just pissed that a good player tested positive for THC when he obviously knew the rules against using that banned substance. This fan frustration is more about "wins and losses" then it is about Montana residents and their strong belief in personal freedoms.

All playoff games have drug testing and the players know it. .After 4 years of passing drug testing, why would any one purposely take banned stuff just a day or two before a game. Doesn't make sense, and isn't logical. If he is guilty, then why go back to the NCAA and fight the decision? Let's hope for a complete reversal of the penalty.

We can finally discuss this openly. Hence the reason the Griz needed at least 2 corners to be added after spring ball. They are halfway there with Reynard.

I don't defend JR because those are the rules and he knew better. I will say though that the rules on weed and this suspension are complete BS. The NCAA needs to move into the 21st century and realize smoking weed is no different than drinking a beer or a cocktail. His suspension is utter BS in that regard.

I hope he is successful in his appeal. I'm going to go light one up in solidarity.

Peace out.

bigsky33 said:
Rules are rules. Pretty stupid on his part. The shtitt show continues in griz land.
Exactly! Maybe Coach Stitt should stop sharing his brownies with his players!

firmgriz said:
We can finally discuss this openly. Hence the reason the Griz needed at least 2 corners to be added after spring ball. They are halfway there with Reynard.

I don't defend JR because those are the rules and he knew better. I will say though that the rules on weed and this suspension are complete BS. The NCAA needs to move into the 21st century and realize smoking weed is no different than drinking a beer or a cocktail. His suspension is utter BS in that regard.

I hope he is successful in his appeal. I'm going to go light one up in solidarity.

Peace out.

THIS! Without the solidarity lighting up thing, though.

Plainsman said:
firmgriz said:

Peace out.

THIS! Without the solidarity lighting up thing, though.

Oh come on man, I'll share! :)

Did he not understand the rules? Gee young people do make mistakes, even griz players. It really sucks doesn't it.

bigsky33 said:
Did he not understand the rules? Gee young people do make mistakes, even griz players. It really sucks doesn't it.
So what you're saying is that marijuana is a gateway drug. Next we should expect a body to be found in a corn field?

Interesting how many people jumped on my avatar in terms of alcohol, so I will not quote anyone in particular. I'm well aware of the down-side of alcoholism, over-indulgence, etc. ... so get over it. Plus, there are also numerous studies to show that alcohol -- in moderation -- is a good thing, just as MJ has some fairly-well-proven benefits for those who have specific medical needs.

Two points: One, alcohol is legal in all jurisdictions, MJ is not. We tried Prohibition ... remember? Disastrous. (Even those who pay no attention to history -- most people -- should at least know that.) Alcoholic DUI is illegal, and, IMO, insufficiently punished when it happens, especially when other people are injured.

See ... I think ALL mood/mind altering drugs should be legalized, regulated and taxed … just like alcohol. But that should go hand in hand with severe penalties for (1) forcing or sneaking your cravings/addictions onto anyone else, and (2) bad things that you do when you’re under the influence.

If all these substances are regulated and taxed, then illegal vendors would be put out of business, or at least sharply curtailed. Ask any cop how much crime is tied to drug trafficking. And we’d have the resources to treat the idiot users who end up crashing into our health-care system. And, yes, I'm aware that I could be included if I over-indulge in alcohol. Fortunately, especially here in Idaho, we "beverage" drinkers pay a major financial price for our "sin."

Am I really serious? You bet. Decisions have consequences, and bad decisions generally have bad consequences. “Doing drugs” is one of the really bad decisions that people make. The sooner users get help and get clean, or pass from the scene (yes, DIE), the better … since they are a drag on society.

Too bad for him. Weed SHOULD be legal everywhere, it's a great medicine with nominal side effects. Unfortunately it's not. This kid is going to miss half the season for some weed, yet we'll turn around and shove opioids down these kids throat that ends up killing tens of thousands people every year. This poor kids career could be over because of a PLANT.

How about we end all this BS surrounding a plant humans have been using for 10,000 years.

It's amazing to me that smoking/ingesting pot warrants harsher punishment than a dui.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of unrelated but a recruiter from a college in Nebraska told my kid they don't look at Colorado prospects because of the hassle of kids running home on weekends and bringing weed back to school. Sounds like fighting a rising tide with two states having legalized it.

Remember the anti-weed ads they ran back n the late 80s? They always emphasized the stoners induced lack of enthusiasm Something like,
"Hey! I got 4 tickets to the concert and two girls that want to have crazy sex afterward! Lets go!"
"Mmmm, Nah"

Back