• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New #37

Hammer said:
I also think it would be cool to have it on the offensive side of the ball for awhile.

That would be different. The #37 has NEVER been "handed down" to an offensive player.

:egriz:

Is there a number convention that would preclude O-linemen & the QB from wearing the number? Not that we have anyone in danger of that now, but that leaves backs & receivers as the only options on O. Defenders don't need to worry about identifying themselves as being eligible receivers.

AG1 - did Wags go with Sims? I can keep a secret.

bgbigdog said:
Is there a number convention that would preclude O-linemen & the QB from wearing the number? Not that we have anyone in danger of that now, but that leaves backs & receivers as the only options on O. Defenders don't need to worry about identifying themselves as being eligible receivers.

AG1 - did Wags go with Sims? I can keep a secret.

No

Having the #4 wouldn't necessarily mean "Missoula" Grizzlies - last I checked, the university resides in Missoula - would be kinda a cool head nod to the University of Montanas "main" campus city/county. Also, imho, the only couple players on the offensive side of the ball ("recently") that the 37 would fit would have been Chase Reynolds or Marc Mariani.

We could always start a new tradition with the #0

It could be called "The Engstrom", like the clap it could could be easy to get, but hard to get rid of. The number would have to go to a player that has no vision, is smug/elitest and a player that frankly acts like he doesnt want to be there in the first place.

I just came up with this tradition drinking whiskey in a southwestern Montana bar, trying to achieve "absolute zero" is definitely within my grasp.....in fact I have been called a "roycetard" 3 times since I started composing this post from my phone.

You've done it Alphalpha Griz. Y.ou are an absolute zero! We are all very proud of you

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

It could be called "The Engstrom", like the clap it could could be easy to get, but hard to get rid of. The number would have to go to a player that has no vision, is smug/elitest and a player that frankly acts like he doesnt want to be there in the first place.

I just came up with this tradition drinking whiskey in a southwestern Montana bar, trying to achieve "absolute zero" is definitely within my grasp.....in fact I have been called a "roycetard" 3 times since I started composing this post from my phone.

Must've been PR's number eh? ;)

LongTimeCatFan said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

I think that was 00.

bgbigdog said:
LongTimeCatFan said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

I think that was 00.

Fu*ker, that was my line.........those zeros "doubled his football IQ"

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
bgbigdog said:
LongTimeCatFan said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

I think that was 00.

Big talk from a bench warmer at CMR, and someone who just took off 13 years from supporting his college team. The first zero could be for him and the second for Engstrom.

bgbigdog said:
LongTimeCatFan said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

I think that was 00.

Ah yes, the double ought... Like buckshot, the balls scatter like a fumbalina

Hammer said:
maroonandsilver said:
Hammer said:
Ken Jones said:
I was thinking that Kendrick van Ackeren would get the opportunity to wear #37; but after researching the tradition, it doesn't appear that KVA is eligible. That's too bad.

"The #37 Jersey is a tradition began in 1987 by then running back Kraig Paulson. The tradition holds that whomever wears the #37 jersey selects an in-state recruit and leading defensive player to wear it next."

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana_Grizzlies_football

Wikipedia isn't entirely accurate there. It doesn't have to be a defensive player.

Yes, it does. I refer you to the plaque in the Hall of Champions of the Adams Center.

It does not. I have had this discussion with a very high member of the athletic dept. also, see article below.

http://www.gogriz.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081506aac.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have had tons of discussions with very high people, I tend not to value their opinions for that very reason. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
bgbigdog said:
LongTimeCatFan said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

I think that was 00.

I did feel a guilt pang while pushing submit, but only briefly. My apologies, but as my hero once said, "It is better to take what does not belong to you than to let it lie around neglected." It will never happen again...

Nah, that's a lie.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Funny, you know nothing about my football career at CMR or college.........now where were we?

You have a bad memory. In the early days of the this or the prior board, we "discussed" your career. You had no college football career. I lived in Great Falls longer than you did, and was there during your football years. My wife and I were good friends with parents of multiple of the players during those years including people like the Hinz' (not quite your year). My wife taught with Jack Johnson's wife for years, and we were friends with the Johnsons. Had 2 kids got to CMR, both of whom played sports, and several played sports at GF high. Pretty funny that my (aging) memory is still much better than yours. Let me guess, you don't even remember asking Jack for football recommendations.

PlayerRep said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Funny, you know nothing about my football career at CMR or college.........now where were we?

You have a bad memory. In the early days of the this or the prior board, we "discussed" your career. You had no college football career. I lived in Great Falls longer than you did, and was there during your football years. My wife and I were good friends with parents of multiple of the players during those years including people like the Hinz' (not quite your year). My wife taught with Jack Johnson's wife for years, and we were friends with the Johnsons. Had 2 kids got to CMR, both of whom played sports, and several played sports at GF high. Pretty funny that my (aging) memory is still much better than yours. Let me guess, you don't even remember asking Jack for football recommendations.

Good memory, you remembered exactly what I wanted you too. :coffee:

Actually I have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to Jack pack........he and I were rarely on the same page........he tried to break me quite a few times but it never took....just like Cooper.

Hammer said:
Colt would have been a bad ass #37!

Good call, Hammer. I strongly agree. Utterback, the player that could have gifted the #37 to Anderson, thought so as well. But then he said Anderson ONLY had 2 years left. So he followed the tradition and went with a younger Bender.

============================================================================
http://missoulian.com/college/griz/who-s-no-no-griz-is-wearing-the-tradition-laden/article_3823a8a6-d138-11e0-8d92-001cc4c03286.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bobby Hauck mentioned last week that as head coach he had it pretty easy: Two of the guys who wore the jersey were on his coaching staff.

Not that either Paulson or Tim Hauck made the decisions for any other player.

"I talked to Coach Paulson and he just said, ‘You know, it's up to you,' " said Utterback. "I had lots of easy choices: Colt Anderson would've been an easy choice, but he only had two years left. Shann Schillinger would've been good. But Carson Bender had been working really hard and had a lot of potential."
===========================================================================

IntuitiveGriz said:
Hammer said:
Colt would have been a bad ass #37!

Good call, Hammer. I strongly agree. Utterback, the player that could have gifted the #37 to Anderson, thought so as well. But then he said Anderson ONLY had 2 years left. So he followed the tradition and went with a younger Bender.

============================================================================
http://missoulian.com/college/griz/who-s-no-no-griz-is-wearing-the-tradition-laden/article_3823a8a6-d138-11e0-8d92-001cc4c03286.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bobby Hauck mentioned last week that as head coach he had it pretty easy: Two of the guys who wore the jersey were on his coaching staff.

Not that either Paulson or Tim Hauck made the decisions for any other player.

"I talked to Coach Paulson and he just said, ‘You know, it's up to you,' " said Utterback. "I had lots of easy choices: Colt Anderson would've been an easy choice, but he only had two years left. Shann Schillinger would've been good. But Carson Bender had been working really hard and had a lot of potential."
===========================================================================

Should have been Colt or Shann.

Back