• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Next up... at Pepperdine 11/29

Lazy pass by Gfeller leads to a dunk on the other end for Pepperdine. Griz down 54-50.

Breunig fouled on the other end and shooting 2. Hits both, Griz down 52-50. Breunig has 22 now.

Damn...free throws. Wright misses both after a great drive to the hoop. Bucket by Pepperdine on the other end, Griz down 52-57 now with 4:30 to go.

Big dunk on the other end by Breunig off a great drive and pass from Oguine. Griz down by 3 now 54-57.

Griz all out of sorts on that trip down the court & it results in a turnover. Griz down 59-54 with 2:40 to go in the game. Pepperdine hits a 3. Griz down by 8 now 62-54. Foul on Pepperdine away from the ball. Breunig shooting 1 and 1 with about 2:20 to go in the game. Hits both, Griz down 62-56. Need some good defense now.

Pepperdine misses but Breunig travels probably trying to do too much and push the tempo himself. Pepperdine ball with 1:44 to go and Griz down by 6. Need a big stop on D here and hopefully a quick bucket on the other end.

Is Mario Dunn playing? The ESPN Gamecast has him in the box score.

All in all, a frustrating game. Seems the parts are there, they're just not fully functioning yet. Gfeller one for six from three, Wright oh for two from three and, worse, two for six from the foul line. This was a winnable game.

Hm...no 10 second call there? Looked like it should have been but serious breakdown for the Griz D on the other end leading to a fairly easy bucket for Pepperdine. 32.6 seconds left with the Griz down 66-58 with Krslovic going to the line to shoot 2. Need to hit these then foul quickly & hope for some misses at the line from them.

Krslovic hits one, misses the 2nd. Griz with the rebound though and Breunig lays it in. 66-61 Griz down with 30.1 seconds left now.

Pepperdine turns it over on the inbounds, great D by the Griz. Foul on Pepperdine, I think sending Wright to the line. And...the clock runs down to 0 for no apparent reason. Refs back to the monitor again to fix the clock for the 2nd time in these last 30 seconds.

They put 20.3 back on the clock. Not sure if the Griz are shooting FTs or...just have the ball? Officials discussing it now.

Griz ball it looks like with no free throws.

Ugh... Gfeller steps out of bounds with the ball and turns it over... Pepperdine ball. Big opportunity missed after such a great job getting the turnover.

And the clock malfunctions again. Refs fix it, it's 15.4 to go, Pepperdine hits both free throws, Griz down by 7.

Wright with a layup, down by 5. Griz foul with 8.4 seconds to go.

Pepperdine hits one. Griz miss a 3, Pepperdine wins 69-63.

Damn... had an opportunity to cut it to a 1 possession game after forcing a turnover but turned it over ourselves.

Tough loss to a good Pepperdine team, picked to finish 3rd in the WCC behind Gonzaga and BYU. Wish we could have pulled this one out, but costly mistakes towards the end prevented that.

Damn. We need some wins before conference. I will say this was a much better game to watch and was encouraging. We need some other role players to step up, though. Decently reffed game.

Bummed I missed the game. Traveling home after thanksgiving. Encouraged that the team and guards played much better. Kind of figured they would. Thanks for all of the updates to all of you who posted

Made it to the game, one we definitely could have won. I really enjoyed watching Moorehead - has an obvious love for the game and surprised me by driving it into the paint and scoring a couple of times.

Right now, as others have noted, something is not right with Gfeller. Not the same guy who hit 6 3-pointers against Texas A&M last March. Wonder if the offseason work on ball-handling backfired? It seems like his ball handling is no better, and his shot is now off. If Gfeller was 40% on 3-pointers, we'd now have 2 more victories (San Jose and Pepperdine) and would be feeling pretty good about things. Not to put too much pressure on Gfeller!

I liked what I saw in the young players....seeing some good progress there that bodes well for the future. Wright, Oguine, Moorehead. Even Boehnig played a couple minutes where he had a nice assist and I believe a rebound, so maybe he'll develop into a player.

But I was hoping to see Gfeller and Bradshaw become leaders on the floor this year and they've really regressed. Hope it is just a temporary thing.

Just got back from Malibu Heights. This was the game that UM should have won and would have had they made more than one three pointer and made few more free throws. Pepperdine has one of the best guards in the country and it showed this afternoon. I think the Griz have really tensed up and try too hard. I did see Wright as a very special player and he matched up well. One thing I can say for UM is that they are faster than I've ever seen but there doesn't seem to be a plan, or one that is executed. It seems the only go to play was to feed it under the basket for Breunig. Oguine showed flashes. But, the outside shooting was rushed while UM seemed to get most of the rebounds. That bodes well after seeing them near the bottom of the NCAA a couple years ago. I think UM will do ok in the conference this year. But, I thought they would be a more dangerous team after last year. G'feller hurt them today so maybe he can make up for it against San Fran. Otherwise, the coach has a major decision to make. Krislovic is a fighter, for sure. The refs let them play.

grizonbob said:
I liked what I saw in the young players....seeing some good progress there that bodes well for the future. Wright, Oguine, Moorehead. Even Boehnig played a couple minutes where he had a nice assist and I believe a rebound, so maybe he'll develop into a player.

But I was hoping to see Gfeller and Bradshaw become leaders on the floor this year and they've really regressed. Hope it is just a temporary thing.

Bradshaw is a waste of roster space and should never see the floor. As for Gfeller, this team must have his ability to hit from 3...so far it has been pretty much nada....

GrizLA said:
One thing I can say for UM is that they are faster than I've ever seen but there doesn't seem to be a plan, or one that is executed. It seems the only go to play was to feed it under the basket for Breunig. Oguine showed flashes. But, the outside shooting was rushed while UM seemed to get most of the rebounds. That bodes well after seeing hem near the bottom of the NCAA a couple years ago. I think UM will do ok in the conference this year. But, I thought they would be a more dangerous team after last year. G'feller hurt them today so maybe he can make up for it against San Fran. Otherwise, the coach has a major decision to make. Krislovic is a fighter, for sure. The refs let them play.
Some real physical talent in the younger team members. Not seeing a lot of "team" talent yet. The Griz are being run "from the bench."

So much fun to watch the Warriors this year. And one of Steve Kerr's basic tenets is: Joy! Have fun! Which is certainly reflected in the way they play, the unbridled spirit and enthusiasm, always looking for--and out for--their teammates. And not afraid to make mistakes. Twenty-one turnovers against Phoenix? Uh, not good. Yet they shrug their shoulders and move on, winning by 20. No problem.

The Griz? A couple of posters here have mentioned just what I saw in San Jose. No joy. Afraid to make mistakes.They looked like kids studying for the CPA exam, always looking to their mentor on the bench for the answer to the next problem. In the absence of a floor leader, it seems DeCuire, from the bench, has re-asserted himself into the lineup as the point guard. Surely he sees a lot to be corrected; maybe he figures pre-season is like an extended practise session. At the same time, he's got some real cheetahs out there; more on the way. I hope he turns them loose. The sooner the better.

Back