• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NFL Combine Information

Bench press is an important measure, it really isn't a complete measure of explosiveness though. At least not explosiveness in football terms. Squats, power cleans, and deadlifts are just as good if not better indication of that in my opinion. I know guys guys that could bench a truck and were cut that flat out got owned on the football field, because they lacked explosiveness. Even OL, a guy who can bench 400 that doesn't have lower body and core strength and can't maintain leverage is going to get his lunch ate by a guy like Wagenmann. I'm sure many of the guys he dominated this year could rep it plenty of times.

Saying that, I do believe his lifting performance will hurt him. Like it or not, benchpress is a widely held indication of a player's strength and strength is a very important aspect of the game, especially at the DL.

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
It shows that at least one person was able to have very very low reps (4), still get drafted, and have a terrific rookie season. I assume you to know enough about football to understand the point.

I also know enough about football to realize that a DB and a DE/OLB require a slightly different skill set...

Well it's great that you know that (as does every single poster on this board), but that had and has absolutely nothing to do with why I provided the information. So, I'll ask you some questions. Why would you ask such an irrelevant question? Why do you still not understand why I provided the information?

PR, pretty sure his point is that a DE/OLB doing 14 reps is not the same as a DB doing 14 reps and if you are trying to justify Waggs number with Mathieu's number, it is comparing apples to oranges. Why would you supply such an irrelevant comparison?

You don't get it either. My point was that a low rep person can get drafted and do well in the NFL. Can you admit that a low rep player can still get drafted and make it in the NFL? Or, do you want to discuss some other point, which was not my point?

Also, would anyone in the world think that 14 DE reps are the same as 14 DB reps? No, so that was not my point. Note that the DB did 4 reps, not 14. Can you read?

CV Griz Fan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:
I also know enough about football to realize that a DB and a DE/OLB require a slightly different skill set...

Well it's great that you know that (as does every single poster on this board), but that had and has absolutely nothing to do with why I provided the information. So, I'll ask you some questions. Why would you ask such an irrelevant question? Why do you still not understand why I provided the information?

PR, pretty sure his point is that a DE/OLB doing 14 reps is not the same as a DB doing 14 reps and if you are trying to justify Waggs number with Mathieu's number, it is comparing apples to oranges. Why would you supply such an irrelevant comparison?

Good post Helena. I am not here to argue with anybody( surprise, surprise) but this thread has gone in some weird directions. Let's just bring the thread back to reality by introducing facts-

ZW's bench performance at the combine was bad. There is nothing else to say.
The bench press is a key strength indicator for the NFL. Why? Because they determine what's important to them. All this arguing about the squat or dead lift is irrelevant.
Is ZW's NFL career ruined because of this? Probably not. But hopefully he is motivated to improve his bench results.
Does a DB benching 4 reps on the BP have any relationship to ZW's poor performance? No. But a DB benching 19, 20 or 21 reps makes ZW look weak. See Tevin McDonald. That's just reality.
Is ZW a talented pass rusher? His history has proved that at the FCS level.
Did ZW have some good quickness results at the combine? Yes he did. That's reality.
Will ZW be a good pro pass rusher? Only time will tell.....

Does a DB benching 4 reps, getting drafted, and having a good first season in the NFL, show that it is possible to succeed in the NfL after having a poor bench at the Combine? Answer, yes, it shows that is possible. Are many posters on egriz ADD and unable to address a point or stick to a point or understand a point, and do they constantly want to address another point? Answer: yes. This latter comment is not directed at you.

EverettGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
CV Griz Fan said:
The bench press is a key strength indicator for the NFL. Why? Because they determine what's important to them. All this arguing about the squat or dead lift is irrelevant.

THANK YOU! The NFL could say the ability to bake a cake is the most important attribute. It doesn't make it right, but it means you had better get your ass in the kitchen if you want to play.

If I were a GM, and I was paying some fat ass 8.7 a year, he'd better damn well bake me a cake now and again.

And here again is where hand size comes into play. The larger the hand = the easier it is to crack eggs. Especially with those rare athletes with the ability to "double crack". It's simple biometrics.

PlayerRep said:
pussycatkillerz said:
PlayerRep said:
bearister said:
Didn't Wags have a shoulder injury earlier in his career? Might account for a less than stellar lift.

Too bad the pussykiller is unable to read and understand your post.

I understood his post just fine.
Whether an old injury is the cause of his poor upper body strength or not is besides the point.
The fact is he has a glaring weakness.

I'll be surprised if he plays on Biermann's level.
We shall see.

No, you (and at least one other poster) didn't understand the post. You were blaming the low reps on the strength coach and/or poor work ethic. No one has said 14 reps is anything other than very low, to my knowledge. Even for a linebacker that is low.

The reason for his poor lift could be many things...even as simple as genetics. I shouldn't have made it sound like a bad bench automatically = a bad work ethic. That's just the way some scouts tend to look at low bench numbers according to a few blogs I read. I'll also take back my shot at the strength coach.

My only beef in this thread is that the BenchPress is a very important lift to measure at the combine.

pussycatkillerz said:
Look, whether you like it or not the BenchPress is the benchmark for measuring muscle endurance, explosiveness and overall work ethic in the gym.
Two 246 lb defensive lineman (Biermann and Waggs) having benches 15 reps apart shows drastically different work ethics and could be a valuable tool for determining the level of success either would have transitioning from the BigSky to the NFL.

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Jared&l=Allen&i=6742" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder how Jared Allen could have done so well in the NFL with that horrible gym work ethic? He only benched 13 reps at the combine. Bench numbers mean very little when it comes to athletic performance.

indian-outlaw said:
pussycatkillerz said:
Look, whether you like it or not the BenchPress is the benchmark for measuring muscle endurance, explosiveness and overall work ethic in the gym.
Two 246 lb defensive lineman (Biermann and Waggs) having benches 15 reps apart shows drastically different work ethics and could be a valuable tool for determining the level of success either would have transitioning from the BigSky to the NFL.

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Jared&l=Allen&i=6742" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder how Jared Allen could have done so well in the NFL with that horrible gym work ethic? He only benched 13 reps at the combine. Bench numbers mean very little when it comes to athletic performance.

Good info, Outlaw. That puts some things in perspective. A number of Wagenmann and Allen's stats are fairly similar. Very interesting.

I would have thought Wagenmanns number would have been higher from all the work we got trying to fend off PlAYerRaPes advances for "inside information".

#grossineedashower

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
I would have thought Wagenmanns number would have been higher from all the work we got trying to fend off PlAYerRaPes advances for "inside information".

#grossineedashower

You're the guy who kept trying to suck up to his mom, until she found that you were the poster Alpha (at the SD game) when parents confronted you (and then you immediately started ripping them on egriz). I don't know Wags very well, but know that both he and his mom would say positive things about me. Not so much for you.

PlayerRep said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

#grossineedashower

You're the guy who kept trying to suck up to his mom, until she found that you were the poster Alpha (at the SD game) when parents confronted you (and then you immediately started ripping them on egriz). I don't know Wags very well, but know that both he and his mom would say positive things about me. Not so much for you.

Funny, I knew her years before Zach ever played at UM, and I wasnt talking to her (dont really like her) a person I was with was. Then the little pitbull (looking) had to start more drama because the other parent beating up a high school kid wasnt enough. :roll:

Leave it to you to defend a bunch of drunk idiots over a fan just there to watch a football game!

P.S. This is actually the guy who was there, not any of the other AG1 posters.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
PlayerRep said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

#grossineedashower

Funny, I knew her years before Zach ever played at UM, and I wasnt talking to her (dont really like her) a person I was with was. Then the little pitbull (looking) had to start more drama because the other parent beating up a high school kid wasnt enough. :roll:

Leave it to you to defend a bunch of drunk idiots over a fan just there to watch a football game!

P.S. This is actually the guy who was there, not any of the other AG1 posters.

Leave it to you to keep trying to diss player parents on the internet, and telling lies. The first parent to say something to you talked to you before the game, so your sequence is not correct. The little high school kid was the same age and friend of the Griz junior, so again an inaccuracy on your part. None of the parents were drunk but I assume you may have been.

indian-outlaw said:
pussycatkillerz said:

Using exceptions to the rule in order to prove a point is pointless.
The amount of force an athlete's upper body can generate and endure MIGHT mean very little in sports like competitive eating or Poker but for a DE in the NFL, nah...
I'm just happy knowing the NFL agrees.

Like Allen, I hope Waggs is also an exception.
(It's worth noting Zack's numbers looked worse than they actually were. I read he put up 17-18 reps but some weren't counted due to form.)

Funny, I was there and the incident happened before the game started and continued into half of the first quarter. Everyone in Missoula knows how drunk said person is most of the time so you are fighting his legacy not my word.

How do I know that another Griz parent wasnt beating some other kid up while this was going on before Hermansons drunk dad assaulted a "young man"? The way the parent act at games it is not hard to believe.

You may be correct (for the first time in a long time) about the kids age, I didnt ID him or invite him to my cabin, so it was a guess on my part, he looked 15ish. But his looks might have been altered a bit and had something to do with a grown man choking him and screaming in his face.

A++++ behavior for a Griz parent!!! :thumb: :thumb:

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Funny, I was there and the incident happened before the game started and continued into half of the first quarter. Everyone in Missoula knows how drunk said person is most of the time so you are fighting his legacy not my word.

How do I know that another Griz parent wasnt beating some other kid up while this was going on before Hermansons drunk dad assaulted a "young man"? The way the parent act at games it is not hard to believe.

You may be correct (for the first time in a long time) about the kids age, I didnt ID him or invite him to my cabin, so it was a guess on my part, he looked 15ish. But his looks might have been altered a bit and had something to do with a grown man choking him and screaming in his face.

No, the "incident" happened during the game, and was very brief. The parent and kid hung out together after the game. It was a big non-event. And other parents and UM officials told me the parent wasn't drunk. I've been with the parent multiple times before, during and after games, and he was never even close to drunk.

Its actually Zacks stepmother. Zack birth mother was legendary Butte High wrestling coach Jim Streets sister. She died when Zack was very young.

PlayerRep said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

No, the "incident" happened during the game, and was very brief. The parent and kid hung out together after the game. It was a big non-event. And other parents and UM officials told me the parent wasn't drunk. I've been with the parent multiple times before, during and after games, and he was never even close to drunk.

If that guy wasnt drunk, I wouldnt want any kid hanging out with him when he was sober!

You dont need to educate me on the time line, like I said I was there and have video of it.

PlayerRep said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

I love you guys's banter. One bit of advice for playerrep.... Don't challenge Alpha to a decathlon, everettgriz found out the hard way that Alpha will call your bluff and you will have to bow out with your tail between your legs.... That decathlon challenge between the two of them is still the crown jewel of egriz that can probably never be topped. Gems like that keep me reading egriz. Keep it up guys and for gods sake alpha please post the video...

Hammer said:
Its actually Zacks stepmother. Zack birth mother was legendary Butte High wrestling coach Jim Streets sister. She died when Zack was very young.

She graduated from CMR, but PlaYARAPe already knew that and he is the only one that knows her "real age".

indian-outlaw said:
I love you guys's banter. One bit of advice for playerrep.... Don't challenge Alpha to a decathlon, everettgriz found out the hard way that Alpha will call your bluff and you will have to bow out with your tail between your legs.... That decathlon challenge between the two of them is still the crown jewel of egriz that can probably never be topped. Gems like that keep me reading egriz. Keep it up guys and for gods sake alpha please post the video...

I promised Delaneys daughter I wouldnt use it, the same way I promised somebody else in Griz athletics I wouldnt use the O'Day video when he went off on a 4 letter word laden rant on how much he hates the cats.

Neither will happen because some AG1s have integrity

Latest posts

Back