• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NFL Combine Information

G-BEARS said:
pussycatkillerz said:
G-BEARS said:
pussycatkillerz said:
Core strength MEANS JACK SQUAT without upper body strength...which Waggs currently lacks....a sport like golf may be enhanced by a core to upper muscular imbalance but a defensive end in the NFL needs SERIOUS balanced "push" in my opinion.

I don't think anyone's saying upper body strength isn't needed, it obviously is. All I'm saying is that the combine chooses to test one lift. If one lift is being assessed, I think that there are 2 or 3 other lifts that should be chosen before bench press in the 'importance to football' category. I find it odd that the combine goes with bench.

If an athlete of that level has developed an impressive upper strength, a strong core is more than likely evident.
How can anyone question the procedures of the businesses financing a brand as strong as the the NFL?

:lol:

Seeing that you posted a laughing smilie, its clear you'r more knowledgable than the pros.

pussycatkillerz said:
G-BEARS said:
pussycatkillerz said:
G-BEARS said:
I don't think anyone's saying upper body strength isn't needed, it obviously is. All I'm saying is that the combine chooses to test one lift. If one lift is being assessed, I think that there are 2 or 3 other lifts that should be chosen before bench press in the 'importance to football' category. I find it odd that the combine goes with bench.

If an athlete of that level has developed an impressive upper strength, a strong core is more than likely evident.
How can anyone question the procedures of the businesses financing a brand as strong as the the NFL?

:lol:

Seeing that you posted a laughing smilie, its clear you'r more knowledgable than the pros.

I think the fact that the NFL is a business is something you don't understand, this is a key reason for the semi-pointless exercises that make up the combine. It creates news for several months. A punter benched more than Clowney at his combine...

pussycatkillerz said:
As an avid weight lifter, I can tell you, the coach should've had Waggs putting up more than 14 reps before the combine. Sorry playerep

Maybe you should spend more time on your reading than on your lifting, and then you would get the answer. Also, Wags has been working out in the Bay Area with the hotshot trainers for those going to the Combine. I assume the same place Tripp went last year.

Hammer said:
grizindabox said:
Wagenmann: 7.07 sec in 3 cone drill, 4.26 in 20 yd shuttle and 12.00 in 60 shuttle

These numbers are a bigger deal than the 40 time

Did you actually post something smart????? :?

Very true. I'm not sure why the combine even does the 40 for some positions its pretty irrelevant for any position outside of RB and WR.

Just the first thing YOU were intelligent enough to understand...

pussycatkillerz said:
And core strength MEANS JACK SQUAT without upper body strength...which Waggs currently lacks....a sport like golf may be enhanced by a core to upper muscular imbalance but a defensive end in the NFL needs an impressive total body "push" in my opinion.

God you're an idiot. That total body push your talking about comes from a strong core, legs and back. The gyms in this country are littered with dopes that can bench over 300 but can't squat or deadlift 400. I suspect you're one of them. Deadlift and squat are a much, much, much more important lift for measuring strength than bench press for pretty much any athlete and I suspect that wags has a pretty healthy deadlift and strong back which is why he can run through blocks.

indian-outlaw said:
pussycatkillerz said:
And core strength MEANS JACK SQUAT without upper body strength...which Waggs currently lacks....a sport like golf may be enhanced by a core to upper muscular imbalance but a defensive end in the NFL needs an impressive total body "push" in my opinion.

God you're an idiot. That total body push your talking about comes from a strong core, legs and back. The gyms in this country are littered with dopes that can bench over 300 but can't squat or deadlift 400. I suspect you're one of them. Deadlift and squat are a much, much, much more important lift for measuring strength than bench press for pretty much any athlete and I suspect that wags has a pretty healthy deadlift and strong back which is why he can run through blocks.

Exactly. The combine should test all of these lifts, or none of them at all. I just don't get why they would only test bench press, it doesn't make any sense to me.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
23 mins ago I went through the drive through at Taco Bell and then put up 17 reps at 225.

Jus sayin

Did you order the #2? Wait, I guess all of them are #2.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
The usual....7 taco supreme with extra tomatoes and a large Mtn Dew.

Tomorrow it will be #2

2-3 reps had to be the dew, definitely performance enhancing.

It's all deceiving because Zack is being looked at OLB, not DE by most teams. More accurate to compare his #'s to LB's than DL. He doesn't have the size or strength to hold the edge at DE. But at OLB in a 3-4, Wags will be productive.

I stated in a thread earlier last season when the team poster came out that it looked like Wags needed to visit the weight room more. Jordan Canada's biceps put Wags to shame! I guess not working that muscle group has come home to roost!

Right and Jordan Canada's #'s at the combine were...

Not a tall guy, reinell, are ya? You're confusing bicep curls with bench reps anyway. Zack's bench won't hurt him. He can improve that. His speed and agility is much more important. And he did excellent there.

griz5700 said:
Right and Jordan Canada's #'s at the combine were...

Not a tall guy, reinell, are ya? You're confusing bicep curls with bench reps anyway. Zack's bench won't hurt him. He can improve that. His speed and agility is much more important. And he did excellent there.

NO, I am just a stubby little fella'. The point isn't that Jordan was much more pronounced, the point I was making is, it was obvious that Wags was lacking on upper body conditioning before the season began. The pic showed that. Wags improved his upper body conditioning thru the year, he knew what he had to work on. I would like to have known his bench reps at the start of last season compared to the end. Some folks just can't bench, but they can lift a house!

You all miss the point of what made Wags great, speed. By being as fast as he was makes up for any of your strength theories. He gained leverage against the best by being fast and strong enough, something I think the NFL loves.
Look at his speed and agility times.

indian-outlaw said:

Look, whether you like it or not the BenchPress is the benchmark for measuring muscle endurance, explosiveness and overall work ethic in the gym.
Two 246 lb defensive lineman (Biermann and Waggs) having benches 15 reps apart shows drastically different work ethics and could be a valuable tool for determining the level of success either would have transitioning from the BigSky to the NFL.
Squats would be pretty much pointless to measure. I know very good squatters who couldn't jump 4 inches off the ground if their life depended on it. Vertical jump, Standing Broad jump and the 40yd dash are far better to determine a players lower/core capability.

pussycatkillerz said:
indian-outlaw said:

Look, whether you like it or not the BenchPress is the benchmark for measuring muscle endurance, explosiveness and overall work ethic in the gym.
Two 246 lb defensive lineman (Biermann and Waggs) having benches 15 reps apart shows drastically different work ethics and could be a valuable tool for determining the level of success either would have transitioning from the BigSky to the NFL.
Squats would be pretty much pointless to measure. I know very good squatters who couldn't jump 4 inches off the ground if their life depended on it. Vertical jump, Standing Broad jump and the 40yd dash are far better to determine a players lower/core capability.

Why don't you get some real information before you post BS like work ethic in the gym? I'm starting to agree with what another poster said about you earlier.

PlayerRep said:
pussycatkillerz said:
indian-outlaw said:

Why don't you get some real information before you post BS like work ethic in the gym? I'm starting to agree with what another poster said about you earlier.

What do you call 10 lawyers at the bottom of a lake?

indian-outlaw said:
pussycatkillerz said:

Initially, I thought you were being too harsh on this poster, but now I'm starting to think your assessment was correct.

Back