• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

nguyen is really good

cclarkblues said:
Nguyen bailed out on a couple of punts that cost us probably 40 yards in field position. There's a big difference between starting from the 20 yard line and the 1.

Agreed. If he is gonna run away from every punt, don't even put a man back there, just rush 11 and try to block the punt. That would be more productive. A punt return should be an offensive play.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
grizindabox said:
Never thought I would ever type this, but ATL is correct, Nguyen is not the answer...

If you didn't spend so many keystrokes trying to be funny, or supporting your sugar-coating buddies, you could be more objective, and agree with me more often. Just sayin'.

no sugar from me...and if you didn't always spew acid and could be more objective, you wouldn't be such a douche and would agree with me more often...just sayin'...

Atlanta Griz1 said:
bgbigdog said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
What happened with the running backs coaching? We always used to have back that made one cut then got downfield. I think that should be emphasized again. John Nguyen is doing a bit to much dancing, when he should just make that first guy miss, then get downfield.

Where are the rest of the running backs? Counts didn't play until almost the last series. Logwood, Favors, where the heck is everyone? Nguyen isn't going to get you tight yards inside. He's doing the best he can do, but he won't hold up the whole season as the feature back.

Nguyen is not the answer. I agree with the poster that says he dances way too much trying to make a play. Because he is a smurf, all of that dancing will lead to fumbles because it gives other defenders time to hit him from different angles while he is basically stationary in space. Mark it down, it will happen sooner rather than later. Counts should be starting.
+1000... :egriz:

Days like this, I wish we had Jordon Canada for a couple more years. He would be great in this offense.

grizindabox said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
grizindabox said:
Never thought I would ever type this, but ATL is correct, Nguyen is not the answer...

If you didn't spend so many keystrokes trying to be funny, or supporting your sugar-coating buddies, you could be more objective, and agree with me more often. Just sayin'.

no sugar from me...and if you didn't always spew acid and could be more objective, you wouldn't be such a douche and would agree with me more often...just sayin'...

:clap: :lol:
But if you agreed with the DillDouche more often, you could have a track home in suburban Phoenix and act like a big shot.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
bgbigdog said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
What happened with the running backs coaching? We always used to have back that made one cut then got downfield. I think that should be emphasized again. John Nguyen is doing a bit to much dancing, when he should just make that first guy miss, then get downfield.

Where are the rest of the running backs? Counts didn't play until almost the last series. Logwood, Favors, where the heck is everyone? Nguyen isn't going to get you tight yards inside. He's doing the best he can do, but he won't hold up the whole season as the feature back.

Nguyen is not the answer. I agree with the poster that says he dances way too much trying to make a play. Because he is a smurf, all of that dancing will lead to fumbles because it gives other defenders time to hit him from different angles while he is basically stationary in space. Mark it down, it will happen sooner rather than later. Counts should be starting.
So you're going out on a real limb there stating that a guy who touches the ball 20 times a game will eventually fumble. Great insight.

i'm finally watching the game now. nguyen's performance is stellar compared to the receivers who are dropping the ball time and time again at key points. and then there is cal poly. they are heading east-west for too long way more often than nguyen. obviously, poly needs a new backfield.

at about -2:06:30 of the gogriz replay, check out the catch and turn straight up the field. by nguyen

Nguyen is a crafty running back, but should not be returning punts if he can't catch a punt. Griz lost big yardage on punts that Nguyen let roll deep into Griz territory since he could not catch the ball.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
argh! said:
he just put up 130+ yards on (allegedly) the best run defense in the fcs - on runs and scr]eens. he might be 'tiny', but i think the facemask run shows you how tough he actually is. and as for punt returns, he is the one who keeps getting put back there by the coaches. i imagine he could opt out of the job due to a few previous muffs, but he obviously is still game and up to the task, undoubtedly knowing he'll get a ton of criticism if something goes wrong.

sorry sunshine, but he's really good.

I don't agree. He is a far cry from the 4 backs I mentioned in a previous post, three of whom played in the NFL. Too small, too slow. If you are that small, you had better be very fast. He isn't.[/quote
Is it really your expectation that Montana have an NFL level running back?

Yes

oh jayzus, sunshine. who is wearing the maroon colored glasses now?

pfft.

For anyone who actually cares about the facts, CP punts are set forth below. There were only 2 long punts that weren't fielded. Personally, I can see why Nguyen didn't attempt to field them. One shouldn't have been fielded. Was very short; just got a tremendous roll. I'm all for fielding punts, but not when there's risk of a fumble. Fielding rugby style roll out punts is not easy.

59 to the 19
19 to the 49
24 to the 40, fair catch
2 to the 40
36 to the 16
46 to the 24, fair catch
52 to the 2

I just noticed in the stats that the guy who kicked the winning FG was not the guy who kicked/attempted the prior FGs. Vega, as opposed to Pyle (who was also the punter).

PlayerRep said:
For anyone who actually cares about the facts, CP punts are set forth below. There were only 2 long punts that weren't fielded. Personally, I can see why Nguyen didn't attempt to field them. One shouldn't have been fielded. Was very short; just got a tremendous roll. I'm all for fielding punts, but not when there's risk of a fumble. Fielding rugby style roll out punts is not easy.

59 to the 19
19 to the 49
24 to the 40, fair catch
2 to the 40
36 to the 16
46 to the 24, fair catch
52 to the 2

I just noticed in the stats that the guy who kicked the winning FG was not the guy who kicked/attempted the prior FGs. Vega, as opposed to Pyle (who was also the punter).

Spin it, baby....spin it. Punt returns should be offensive plays and treated as such. With Nguyen, they are offensive, but only to Griz fans. :twisted:

To argh!:

The four RBs we had occupied our backfield for 75% of the 15 years before Chase graduated. It has been pathetic since.Why is it unreasonable to expect to recruit the kind of talent we used to get now? I thought we were an elite FCS program! That's what I keep hearing from the sucrose posse.

Latest posts

Back