• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

nguyen is really good

argh! said:
he just put up 130+ yards on (allegedly) the best run defense in the fcs - on runs and screens. he might be 'tiny', but i think the facemask run shows you how tough he actually is. and as for punt returns, he is the one who keeps getting put back there by the coaches. i imagine he could opt out of the job due to a few previous muffs, but he obviously is still game and up to the task, undoubtedly knowing he'll get a ton of criticism if something goes wrong.

sorry sunshine, but he's really good.

I don't agree. He is a far cry from the 4 backs I mentioned in a previous post, three of whom played in the NFL. Too small, too slow. If you are that small, you had better be very fast. He isn't.

I think he's a great fit in this offense. Once in awhile I question his "vision" and misses a lane but he's an intrigral part of the offense. Logwood will be a nice addition. Today will test his blocking abilities because I think poly is going to dial some blitzes.

AZGrizFan said:
Catsrback76 said:
BWahlberg said:
What if I told you the one thing Stitt wants out of a punt returner is someone to fair catch the ball? Nguyen was the most consistent in fall camp, can easily fair catch most punts. Notice there were no attempts at returns last week? I wonder if we'll see the same again, just fair catches regardless the coverage.

Kinda weird that Stitt the riverboat gambler insists on fair catching punts...methinks he's up to something with the math department! :ugeek:

Maybe his theory is this: If they catch it and run, there's a chance of a fumble and a tiny chance of a TD. If they catch it and get a big return, that's a shorter field, fewer yards necessary, thus fewer plays to run so he can't tire out the defense as much...who knows...
Just lulling them into sleep; once the coverage starts to relax, Go!

Atlanta Griz1 said:
argh! said:
he just put up 130+ yards on (allegedly) the best run defense in the fcs - on runs and screens. he might be 'tiny', but i think the facemask run shows you how tough he actually is. and as for punt returns, he is the one who keeps getting put back there by the coaches. i imagine he could opt out of the job due to a few previous muffs, but he obviously is still game and up to the task, undoubtedly knowing he'll get a ton of criticism if something goes wrong.

I don't agree. He is a far cry from the 4 backs I mentioned in a previous post, three of whom played in the NFL. Too small, too slow. If you are that small, you had better be very fast. He isn't.
Is it really your expectation that Montana have an NFL level running back?

mtgriz said:
I think there has got to be leeway on the fair catch issue. If the punter hits a line drive I bet you'll see a return.

Let's not fall into a trance on this number of plays thing. The scoreboard still tracks points, not plays, so I highly doubt Stitt is going to turn his nose up at a 30 yard punt return.

Can you imagine him on the sideline last week as Ellis streaked by on the 62 yard TD...."Ellis, get your 20 yards and go down. Go down! We need more plays, gotta have more plays!"
No shit. He's yelling "no, no, no!!"

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
Catsrback76 said:
BWahlberg said:
What if I told you the one thing Stitt wants out of a punt returner is someone to fair catch the ball? Nguyen was the most consistent in fall camp, can easily fair catch most punts. Notice there were no attempts at returns last week? I wonder if we'll see the same again, just fair catches regardless the coverage.

Kinda weird that Stitt the riverboat gambler insists on fair catching punts...methinks he's up to something with the math department! :ugeek:

Maybe his theory is this: If they catch it and run, there's a chance of a fumble and a tiny chance of a TD. If they catch it and get a big return, that's a shorter field, fewer yards necessary, thus fewer plays to run so he can't tire out the defense as much...who knows...
Just lulling them into sleep; once the coverage starts to relax, Go!

Gotta catch the ball, not just watch it go over your head and bounce down the field.

What happened with the running backs coaching? We always used to have back that made one cut then got downfield. I think that should be emphasized again. John Nguyen is doing a bit to much dancing, when he should just make that first guy miss, then get downfield.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
What happened with the running backs coaching? We always used to have back that made one cut then got downfield. I think that should be emphasized again. John Nguyen is doing a bit to much dancing, when he should just make that first guy miss, then get downfield.

Where are the rest of the running backs? Counts didn't play until almost the last series. Logwood, Favors, where the heck is everyone? Nguyen isn't going to get you tight yards inside. He's doing the best he can do, but he won't hold up the whole season as the feature back.

bgbigdog said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Where are the rest of the running backs? Counts didn't play until almost the last series. Logwood, Favors, where the heck is everyone? Nguyen isn't going to get you tight yards inside. He's doing the best he can do, but he won't hold up the whole season as the feature back.

Logwood was the first back up in the game, in the first half. Counts had several series in the first half and then disappeared. Then he reappeared in the second half. Had 2 carries and 2 receptions. Don't know why he wasn't around late in the game when we ran the ball.

AZGrizFan said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
argh! said:

Is it really your expectation that Montana have an NFL level running back?

Yes

bgbigdog said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Nguyen is not the answer. I agree with the poster that says he dances way too much trying to make a play. Because he is a smurf, all of that dancing will lead to fumbles because it gives other defenders time to hit him from different angles while he is basically stationary in space. Mark it down, it will happen sooner rather than later. Counts should be starting.

Rushing Yards »
Through games of September 5, 2015
Rank Name Team Rush Yds
1 Jakori Ford Idaho St. 201
2 Deshawn Jones Campbell 189
3 Troymaine Pope Jacksonville St. 173
4 Alex Lakes Mercer 159
5 Casey Jahn Northern Ariz. 157
6 John Nguyen Montana 156
7 Trae Riek Northern Colo. 153
8 John Santiago North Dakota 148
9 Marcus Bagley Saint Francis (PA) 147
10 Desmond Rice Liberty 139
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs

UMGriz75 said:
Rushing Yards »
Through games of September 5, 2015
Rank Name Team Rush Yds
1 Jakori Ford Idaho St. 201
2 Deshawn Jones Campbell 189
3 Troymaine Pope Jacksonville St. 173
4 Alex Lakes Mercer 159
5 Casey Jahn Northern Ariz. 157
6 John Nguyen Montana 156
7 Trae Riek Northern Colo. 153
8 John Santiago North Dakota 148
9 Marcus Bagley Saint Francis (PA) 147
10 Desmond Rice Liberty 139
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs

It is nice that Nguyen is in the top ten...even if everyone else has only played 1 game...#statsrfun

PlayerRep said:
bgbigdog said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Logwood was the first back up in the game, in the first half. Counts had several series in the first half and then disappeared. Then he reappeared in the second half. Had 2 carries and 2 receptions. Don't know why he wasn't around late in the game when we ran the ball.

Logwood didn't have a carry and 13 of 14 runs by Nguyen we for barely more than two yards each on average. Unless Stitt can fix this inability to run it, defenses will ignore the run entirely. And Gamboa running the ball? WTF is up with that?

Nguyen bailed out on a couple of punts that cost us probably 40 yards in field position. There's a big difference between starting from the 20 yard line and the 1.

grizindabox said:
Never thought I would ever type this, but ATL is correct, Nguyen is not the answer...

If you didn't spend so many keystrokes trying to be funny, or supporting your sugar-coating buddies, you could be more objective, and agree with me more often. Just sayin'.

bgbigdog said:
PlayerRep said:
bgbigdog said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Logwood didn't have a carry and 13 of 14 runs by Nguyen we for barely more than two yards each on average. Unless Stitt can fix this inability to run it, defenses will ignore the run entirely. And Gamboa running the ball? WTF is up with that?

I think Stitt gets too cutesy, and loves the shock factor. Remember the infamous pass/lateral play against NDSU that resulted in a turnover? You got Joey Counts, who is better at getting a yard than a LB who never runs the ball. Stupid call. Stitt needs to stop trying to be so avant garde, and play sound, basic football.

bgbigdog said:
PlayerRep said:
bgbigdog said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

I think Stitt gets too cutesy, and loves the shock factor. Remember the infamous pass/lateral play against NDSU that resulted in a turnover? You got Joey Counts, who is better at getting a yard than a LB who never runs the ball. Stupid call. Stitt needs to stop trying to be so avant garde, and play sound, basic football.

If Nguyen is the best back we got.... we ain't got much!

Latest posts

Back