• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

nguyen is really good

putter said:
did a good job against NDSU, however, I agree with mtgrizrule. Get a different punt returner.

By the sounds of it, the coaches gave many players a chance to claim the punt return job, but no one seemed to catch the ball on a consistent basis in practice/scrimmages. With no better options currently on the roster, appears John was given the job by default. Although he didn't have any returns last week, he did a great job catching the punts and knowing when to let it fall behind him.

I agree with everyone else though, John could be special the next couple years and be a dynamic part of the offense if he stays healthy. His initial burst is as good as anyone.

AZGrizFan said:
Elusive, fast, great hands, good YAC and positive yards after first contact.
Getting a little carried away here; don't get me wrong, I like JN a lot in this offense. Quick, elusive; absolutely. Fast? Linebackers can run him down from behind; he has a very poor top end. His "great hands" don't seem to work on passes that are a bit up, as most passes will be for such a short RB. He had his hands on several that were missed. JN is a great role RB to have, but we are without a feature RB that is stronger, runs north to south and has the speed to break it. We've had them in the past; that isn't JN. The output of Canada/Van will be missed as the year progresses unless one of the young guys has a chance to step up. As a kick returner, JN is excellent on punts because he nearly always gets by the first tackler and his agility pays off. As a KO returner, he's awful, again not enough speed or north to south.

putter said:
did a good job against NDSU, however, I agree with mtgrizrule. Get a different punt returner.

What if I told you the one thing Stitt wants out of a punt returner is someone to fair catch the ball? Nguyen was the most consistent in fall camp, can easily fair catch most punts. Notice there were no attempts at returns last week? I wonder if we'll see the same again, just fair catches regardless the coverage.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
Getting a little carried away here; don't get me wrong, I like JN a lot in this offense. Quick, elusive; absolutely. Fast? Linebackers can run him down from behind; he has a very poor top end. His "great hands" don't seem to work on passes that are a bit up, as most passes will be for such a short RB. He had his hands on several that were missed. JN is a great role RB to have, but we are without a feature RB that is stronger, runs north to south and has the speed to break it. We've had them in the past; that isn't JN. The output of Canada/Van will be missed as the year progresses unless one of the young guys has a chance to step up. As a kick returner, JN is excellent on punts because he nearly always gets by the first tackler and his agility pays off. As a KO returner, he's awful, again not enough speed or north to south.

I thought he had a good game but he looked very small on TV. A couple of times he got bounced around like a pinball.....

BWahlberg said:
putter said:

What if I told you the one thing Stitt wants out of a punt returner is someone to fair catch the ball? Nguyen was the most consistent in fall camp, can easily fair catch most punts. Notice there were no attempts at returns last week? I wonder if we'll see the same again, just fair catches regardless the coverage.

Stitt only wanting fair catches doesn't really surprise me. That seems like another "wrinkle" that he brings to coaching. He may view attempting to return too big of a risk that could lead to a fumble. He likes to get the absolute most out of every single offensive possession, and fair catching the punt eliminates a potential risk

Nguyen should have fair caught a couple and got real lucky they rolled into the endzone. Looked awesome at back though. He will put up crazy numbers in this O.

BWahlberg said:
putter said:

Well, then he would be 1st team All-American!! :thumb:

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

Let me rephrase, your honor....by "fast" I was referring to his first burst, not his top end....he's geared wrong... :x :lol: And yeah, he dropped a few, but so did Hendo, Jones, etc., etc. Gus had about 5-6 passes that should have been caught but weren't.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

Correct. He is not close to the stud RBs we have had in the past, Yo, Green, Hilliard, and the Drummond flash. He is decent catching the rock out of the backfield, but not a great threat on running plays.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

Correct. He is not close to the stud RBs we have had in the past, Yo, Green, Hilliard, and the Drummond flash. He is decent catching the rock out of the backfield, but not a great threat on running plays.

Sweet Jesus. Stop the fucking presses...ATL has a newsflash:...John Nguyen isn't as good as the last three backs we've produced who went to the fucking NFL.

AZGrizFan said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

Sweet Jesus. Stop the f***[*] presses...ATL has a newsflash:...John Nguyen isn't as good as the last three backs we've produced who went to the f***[*] NFL.

ATL didn't start a thread stating that JN was REALLY good either.....

Winn (Nguyen) is a good back. So is Counts. Soon you will see a young Logwood and he is also damn good.

We have good backs and a few more subs that look good. Good is Good...

Atlanta Griz1 said:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

I do like JN's pass catching skills. I think he has a Marshal Faulk like quality of coming out of the backfield and exploiting mismatches....
He doesn't have Faulk's power running traits however. Plus the guy is just TINY. He looked like a "rag doll" on a few plays agsainst the Bison. But he is good in space. I know that phrase has reached a "cult like status" on this board but it's a true statement..... He'll have success in this offense but "really good"? That remains to be seen.....

he just put up 130+ yards on (allegedly) the best run defense in the fcs - on runs and screens. he might be 'tiny', but i think the facemask run shows you how tough he actually is. and as for punt returns, he is the one who keeps getting put back there by the coaches. i imagine he could opt out of the job due to a few previous muffs, but he obviously is still game and up to the task, undoubtedly knowing he'll get a ton of criticism if something goes wrong.

sorry sunshine, but he's really good.

He's a solid running back IMO. I thought his brother was pretty kickass too. I was always a bit nervous with Peter returning punts, but as a RB I always thought he was legit.

BWahlberg said:
putter said:

Kinda weird that Stitt the riverboat gambler insists on fair catching punts...methinks he's up to something with the math department! :ugeek:

Catsrback76 said:
BWahlberg said:
putter said:

Kinda weird that Stitt the riverboat gambler insists on fair catching punts...methinks he's up to something with the math department! :ugeek:

Good post and Stitt is changing the game based on percentages. I don't necessarily bye into his gut feeling argument. When you really stop to think about it - it is kind of an embarrassing indictment on football as a whole. It took this flipping long for someone to figure out that 4th down isn't just for punting. Strange and no - I am not saying I would have figured out if I were coaching. I would guess we will start to see a lot more teams trying to run 80+ plays a game. 90+ is pretty damn tough to pull off and I am really intrigued to see how many games the Griz have this year where they exceed that number. I am betting it is quite a few.

Catsrback76 said:
BWahlberg said:
putter said:

Maybe his theory is this: If they catch it and run, there's a chance of a fumble and a tiny chance of a TD. If they catch it and get a big return, that's a shorter field, fewer yards necessary, thus fewer plays to run so he can't tire out the defense as much...who knows...

I think there has got to be leeway on the fair catch issue. If the punter hits a line drive I bet you'll see a return.

Let's not fall into a trance on this number of plays thing. The scoreboard still tracks points, not plays, so I highly doubt Stitt is going to turn his nose up at a 30 yard punt return.

Can you imagine him on the sideline last week as Ellis streaked by on the 62 yard TD...."Ellis, get your 20 yards and go down. Go down! We need more plays, gotta have more plays!"

Latest posts

Back