• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Position Breakdown: QB

PTGrizzly said:
BWahlberg said:
mikegriz said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
I was at the SDSU game. They figured how to defend Gus at halftime. By the end of NDSU game that was 6 bad quarters in a row for Gus. That had to have Stitt spooked, and he has picked up a drop down to help solve that issue. Hopefully Gus will figure out how to deal with what was thrown at him the last 6 quarters of the year by the end of fall camp.

Unless none of these incoming guys can both throw andrun, I'm thinking we're going to see a new #1 in 2016

I still fail to comprehend why so many posters on here think Stitt wants a mobile QB... I don't think that's his priority in a QB.

Bc the haven't figured out that running a spread offense doesn't mean you need a mobile QB. Most people don't realize there are different "spread" offenses.

5aecc3d73e927c6b1ef177efbc40de95d4392c9d29cf0dc34d87fbdc13df5442.jpg

griz5700 said:
fanofzoo said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
jodcon said:
Can't agree with the effective runner part krammer, defenses don't respect his running at all, most of the time they ignore him and he's alone after the handoff. The opportunity looks like it's there but rarely pans out when he pulls it down.

Good thing the running ability of the QB is not a priority for the offense. I don't think Stitt brought in more competition because Gus isn't as much of a running threat... Also kid of hard to assess a kid's mobility when he is playing on a recent fractured leg injury.

The real question is whether or not Gus will become more comfortable and be less apt to make the bad throws that he made in some of the games. Good thing for us, that is something he will very likely improve on and will need to improve on to keep the job.

I disagree to some extent. I believe that Stitt would like to have in the QB someone capable of running the ball if nothing to keep the defense honest. I don't think he is that stubborn to ignore a threat to the defense over the singular objective of good decision making .

Nope. He doesn't. A mobile QB does more harm than good in his system.

You want to know what Stitt wants in a QB?? Watch Gresch Jensen. He's definitely not going to beat anyone with his feet. If he had better speed, he'd be going PAC12.

The perfect QB for Stitt's offense >> http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1874939/highlights/285891449

Wow, did you even watch that video? The kid's got outstanding mobility. And, he continues to scan down field as he scrambles. And runs when he needs to. Are you kidding me? Better speed? More harm than good? With the quality of our WRs, if we can give them another couple of seconds to loose their defenders, plus the threat to run, it will be a nightmare for DC's.

griz5700
Nope. He doesn't. A mobile QB does more harm than good in his system.

Bet that mantra goes the way of the defunct TE. To see a defense getting burned by a scramble for say 4-5 yards is what he wants, I thought.

Damn did that kid look just like JJ, buying time with his feet and then hitting the receiver down field. JJ was never one for ignoring an open field for a 15-20 yard scramble.

We did one of those.

AZGrizFan said:
grizfan95 said:
BWahlberg said:
alabamagrizzly said:
I think your right about Gus keeping the job for now. Gonna be interesting to see if Chalich can get a better grip on the O and how quickly can Reese push Gus and Chalich? I think Stitt lost some confidence in Gus after the NDSU loss but I don't see Stitt replacing Gus cus of that. I see Stitt giving him an honest shot to keep the job if he proves to stay ahead of the competion. Normally I would not think much of Keige coming from a small school but Im guessing Stitt sees something in him. Aaron Rogers started at a JC also so there's always a chance of getting something special. I'm also intrigued by Praters development and how the '17 battle between him and Reese will work out. And in '18? The future is bright for Griz QB's.

For Chalich he went from a pro-style/ball control offense to a hurry up, that was a challenge for him. Philips is going from hurry up to hurry up - so that adjustment won't be needed, as much.

I could see it going as follows:

2016 key battle: Gus vs Chalich and Phillips

2017 key battle: Phillips vs Prater and Kaegi

2018 key battle Prater vs Kaegi or Jensen or Bea

May the kid prove me wrong, but if Kaegi ever sees the field I'll be shocked.

If Jensen doesn't win the job as a RS FR in 2017, he will DEFINITELY be the starter in 2018.

2016- Gus vs Phillips (Gus starts)

2017 - Phillips vs Jensen (Phillips starts)

2018 - Jensen vs ? (Jensen starts)

SoldierGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizfan95 said:
BWahlberg said:
For Chalich he went from a pro-style/ball control offense to a hurry up, that was a challenge for him. Philips is going from hurry up to hurry up - so that adjustment won't be needed, as much.

I could see it going as follows:

2016 key battle: Gus vs Chalich and Phillips

2017 key battle: Phillips vs Prater and Kaegi

2018 key battle Prater vs Kaegi or Jensen or Bea

If Jensen doesn't win the job as a RS FR in 2017, he will DEFINITELY be the starter in 2018.

2106 - Gus vs Phillips (Gus starts)

2107 - Phillips vs Jensen (Phillips starts)

2108 - Jensen vs ? (Jensen starts)

I would assume that's the coaches plan as well (if all goes according to what they hope to see out of these kids)

BWahlberg said:
SoldierGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizfan95 said:

I would assume that's the coaches plan as well (if all goes according to what they hope to see out of these kids)

Coach already knows who's starting in 2106? :shock: :shock:

AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
SoldierGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Coach already knows who's starting in 2106? :shock: :shock:

:lol: fixed it....but, he REALLY is that good...

Just popped up on Twitter:'

Jensen named King County/Seattle @NFFNetwork scholar athlete of the year. Congratulations to Gresch.

Nothing against Gus but I hope Phillips is the better player and wins the job.. This is mainly due to the fact that Phillips has two years left in the system and we have more to gain. It would be nice to see Phillips win the position and have a great season.. This would make me feel a lot better going into 2017.

Whoever starts or finishes. I just hope we have receivers other than Josh Horner who can go get the ball. I see a lot of unknowns there this year. I think Gus starts...Phillips will be his biggest challenge I believe...Gus will be a completely different QB this year...his senior year and a second year starter. His poise will be undaunted! If our O-Line is improved even a little, and or WR's have hands, this could be a magical season!

BWahlberg said:
mikegriz said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
I think your right about Gus keeping the job for now. Gonna be interesting to see if Chalich can get a better grip on the O and how quickly can Reese push Gus and Chalich? I think Stitt lost some confidence in Gus after the NDSU loss but I don't see Stitt replacing Gus cus of that. I see Stitt giving him an honest shot to keep the job if he proves to stay ahead of the competion. Normally I would not think much of Keige coming from a small school but Im guessing Stitt sees something in him. Aaron Rogers started at a JC also so there's always a chance of getting something special. I'm also intrigued by Praters development and how the '17 battle between him and Reese will work out. And in '18? The future is bright for Griz QB's.

I was at the SDSU game. They figured how to defend Gus at halftime. By the end of NDSU game that was 6 bad quarters in a row for Gus. That had to have Stitt spooked, and he has picked up a drop down to help solve that issue. Hopefully Gus will figure out how to deal with what was thrown at him the last 6 quarters of the year by the end of fall camp.

Unless none of these incoming guys can both throw andrun, I'm thinking we're going to see a new #1 in 2016[/quote

I still fail to comprehend why so many posters on here think Stitt wants a mobile QB... I don't think that's his priority in a QB.

Maybe not Coach Stitt's priority, but I want one. Why? Because I see what teams with a mobile QB do to us.

I think the number of really mobile (i.e., fast and/or at least pretty fast and shifty) college QBs who can really throw, as well, are a rather small number. You don't run into a Marcus Mariota-level QB very often, and never at the FCS level.

What Coach Stitt seems to want, instead, is something a bit more common at all levels of football, but still fairly rare: a QB with smarts and enough quicks to get away from the rush for a bit to extend plays when necessary, but not to be a primary running threat. Guys like Dave Dickenson and Vernon Adams don't have great speed, but they have an uncanny knack for keeping plays alive and then making things happen with their smarts and their arms.

Here's hoping that Gresch is that guy for the Griz in the future. Maybe Phillips has skills he hasn't shown much in the past couple of years, but this season the position is probably Gus' to lose--or to rise up to make memorable, preferably.

Latest posts

Back