• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Position Breakdown: QB

griz5700 said:
I don't buy into that at all. If there was such a talent disparity between NDSU and UM, no way the Griz beat the Bison week 1. I thought after the first game UM was the more talented team.

Difference is coaching. NDSU develops talent, their players are disciplined, and they always peak at the right time. That is coaching. The Griz were stunned and confused in the second matchup. Impossible to display talent when every offensive player is confused in their assignment.
So you're telling me after one game in Stitt's first year you can tell that he can't develop talent? Cool that really makes sense.

Meanwhile Klieman is riding Bohl's loaded roster. Klieman literally inherited the dream job. A stacked roster, and he changed nothing from Bohl's regime, he is simply Bohl 2.0

Stitt inherited the worst Montana team in a LONG time. Thin roster with no offensive line and jack shit for depth. Changes the entire offensive philosophy and team mentality. This is with fans who maintain the expectation that we should win every game with this watered-down talent on the roster. That spells the worst job ever. Still took it and got us to the second round in the playoffs.

Did you look at what NDSU did to every other playoff team this year? Our beatdown was no different than any other team they played. They have everything going for them in the playoffs, that home field advantage is HUGE.

grizaremoregooder said:
griz5700 said:
brewskis said:
griz5700 said:
Agreed. Why any Griz fan isn't ecstatic to have him at QB is beyond me. When healthy, Gustafson is the most athletic QB on roster. But as he showed, he's pretty damn effective when not 100%.

Stitt deserves more if not all of the blame for the NDSU playoff debacle. Stitt and Co were totally out-coached by NDSU's staff.
We were out-gunned against NDSU. Their horses up front owned ours and everyone else's thru the playoffs. We did no worse against NDSU than Richmond or Jacksonville State.

NDSU has a roster filled to the brim with talent, we simply didnt match up with them at all in the trenches or depth-wise.

I don't buy into that at all. If there was such a talent disparity between NDSU and UM, no way the Griz beat the Bison week 1. I thought after the first game UM was the more talented team.

Difference is coaching. NDSU develops talent, their players are disciplined, and they always peak at the right time. That is coaching. The Griz were stunned and confused in the second matchup. Impossible to display talent when every offensive player is confused in their assignment.
Montana had all the advantages working for them in the first game. They were at home (HUGE ADVANTAGE) and coach Stitt and Staff had an ENTIRE SUMMER to break down NDSU on film. NDSU was looking at CO. school of mines film that summer......HUGE ADVANTAGE MONTANA. Montana needed everything to go perfect for the victory and that's pretty much what happened. The second game was played in the Fargo Dome and the Bizon had an entire season of film and a bye week to prepare for the Griz. NDSU was a more talented football team last season especially on the offensive and defensive fronts (Tyrone Holmes was the exception). The Griz didn't have an offensive lineman on the roster that would have played a single down for the Bizon. This is why the coaching staff recruited the offensive and defensive lines so heavily in this class. The Griz have some catching up do. I honestly think they are two years out from getting to where they need to be. Sticking with this thread, the quarterback position was not the problem last season nor was it the coaching.

NDSU has played in big time road environments and won. Multiple times. Montana was implementing a whole new staff and a whole new offense. NDSU was under the same staff that just led them to a NC. NDSU was returning their senior QB who led them on a NC game-winning drive and who will get drafted. Montana had a QB making his first start against the defending champs on ESPN. HUGE ADVANTAGE NDSU.

brewskis said:
griz5700 said:

So you're telling me after one game in Stitt's first year you can tell that he can't develop talent? Cool that really makes sense.

Meanwhile Klieman is riding Bohl's loaded roster. Klieman literally inherited the dream job. A stacked roster, and he changed nothing from Bohl's regime, he is simply Bohl 2.0

Stitt inherited the worst Montana team in a LONG time. Thin roster with no offensive line and jack shit for depth. Changes the entire offensive philosophy and team mentality. This is with fans who maintain the expectation that we should win every game with this watered-down talent on the roster. That spells the worst job ever. Still took it and got us to the second round in the playoffs.

Did you look at what NDSU did to every other playoff team this year? Our beatdown was no different than any other team they played. They have everything going for them in the playoffs, that home field advantage is HUGE.

Typical hypersensitive Stitt disciple. Throwing players under the bus in defense of Stitt is such bullsh*t.

Imagine if that prior staff didn't recruit Ellis, Jamal, and Gustafson. Not to mention a defense which was the strength of the 2015 team. Lot of names I could list there...

Stitt was damn lucky to walk into such a talented team. A team so talented that they could go out and beat the defending NC's in their first game. Unfortunately, DC's figured Stitt out, and Stitt let that talent down. At least he swallowed his pride and started using a TE. Or excuse me, a big bodied receiver who happens to do everything a TE does.

griz5700 said:
brewskis said:
griz5700 said:

Typical hypersensitive Stitt disciple. Throwing players under the bus in defense of Stitt is such bullsh*t.

Imagine if that prior staff didn't recruit Ellis, Jamal, and Gustafson. Not to mention a defense which was the strength of the 2015 team. Lot of names I could list there...

Stitt was damn lucky to walk into such a talented team. A team so talented that they could go out and beat the defending NC's in their first game. Unfortunately, DC's figured Stitt out, and Stitt let that talent down. At least he swallowed his pride and started using a TE. Or excuse me, a big bodied receiver who happens to do everything a TE does.

Gustafson won the game for us in August. Gustafson threw four INT's in December.

brewskis said:
griz5700 said:

Brew, this statement of yours is incorrect. "Stitt inherited the worst Montana team in a LONG time." The team Stitt inherited had considerable talent. One of the best group of receivers, as well as depth, of all time. A terrific group of backers, good secondary, and several great d-lineman and several other good ones. Credible kickers. Yes, a weaker o-line. Developed a good qb from the get-go. Except for qb and rb, the '15 team probably had more talent than the '14 team. You constantly misstate and mis-analyze the game, in my view.

PlayerRep said:
brewskis said:
griz5700 said:

Brew, this statement of yours is incorrect. "Stitt inherited the worst Montana team in a LONG time." The team Stitt inherited had considerable talent. One of the best group of receivers, as well as depth, of all time. A terrific group of backers, good secondary, and several great d-lineman and several other good ones. Credible kickers. Yes, a weaker o-line. Developed a good qb from the get-go. Except for qb and rb, the '15 team probably had more talent than the '14 team. You constantly misstate and mis-analyze the game, in my view.
Whole lot of players that never saw the second round of the playoffs is what I saw. Whole lot of talent there.

Edit: never even won the Big Sky for that matter. Sorry I just don't see it.

Without a dominant offensive front even our best have less chance.

Best polished paint schemes don't win the races with low horsepower under the hood. Would hope messiah bob has some horses to save Brady et al!

I am still really neutral on Stitt's offense. If it is money then last year didn't necessarily show it. Yeah, circumstances and all so it was more simplistic than it would otherwise be, blah, blah... OK, I'll bite but this year better show more than what was at times a very predictable scheme. NDSU had it figured cold by the second game. Others seemed to key in on it pretty well also. When the "A" was in play they looked really good but you have to be able to win with your "B" game too. I am cautiously optimistic that we'll see a lot more this year. I sure hope so. And a lot of it will rest on the QB to execute to Stitt's vision.

Grisly Fan said:
OK, I'll bite but this year better show more than what was at times a very predictable scheme. NDSU had it figured cold by the second game.

Was the scheme really that predictable or was it Brady that was predictable?

The previous Griz coaches would NOT have done what Stitt and Co. did.

We would have lost the first UNDS game by 25 points and NEVER made it to the second game!

Did the first game win against UNDS give us Griz fans a false "feeling" of being super great? I fell into the group that had the "feeling."

Drunks get the same high "feeling" and then the real world sinks in as they sober up to reality.

Back to the QB, this years QB will be a hugh part of how the team does, pure and simple. I hope we have a kid that can master Stitt's offense. If so, perhaps we'll get some of that "feeling" back.

grizcountry420 said:
Grisly Fan said:
OK, I'll bite but this year better show more than what was at times a very predictable scheme. NDSU had it figured cold by the second game.

I don't think Brady was predictable. He usually made good reads and decisions. He seemed not to throw as well and made mistakes in the games when he was under constant or frequent pressure. In the 2d game of the season, when he threw some picks, all were throws over the middle off his back foot. He'd been banged up in the prior game; ribs I believe. Note how little game experience he had at the beginning of the season and even now. It's too bad he missed much of the season last fall.

PlayerRep said:
grizcountry420 said:
Grisly Fan said:

I don't think Brady was predictable. He usually made good reads and decisions. He seemed not to throw as well and made mistakes in the games when he was under constant or frequent pressure. In the 2d game of the season, when he threw some picks, all were throws over the middle off his back foot. He'd been banged up in the prior game; ribs I believe. Note how little game experience he had at the beginning of the season and even now. It's too bad he missed much of the season last fall.

One thing i will say about Brady is that he probably has one of the best arms in the conference. I dont think there is another QB in the conference who can throw a better out route than him. At times he did rush the ball and you could tell where he was going to throw the ball but i think that comes down to not getting enough reps from being injured in the middle of the season like you were saying..

Brady playing first or second string will make our team very good this coming season. If he stays healthy we will do fine if not great. We do need a very good secod string QB if we are going to make some noise this season!

griz5700 said:
grizaremoregooder said:
I think Brady Gustafson will be the starter. He broke his leg in the third game of the season and somehow managed to salvage the season after the Idaho St. game on one healthy leg. The Grizzlies probably don't defeat EWU or MSU with Mekena Simis behind center IMO. Brady was the ONLY quarterback on the roster that made the offense a threat. Gus will be a 5th year senior with playoff experience next season and this is a good thing to have. A transfer and especially a high school kid coming in here in the fall will have a hard time winning the job from Brady "the golden goose" Gustafson.

Agreed. Why any Griz fan isn't ecstatic to have him at QB is beyond me. When healthy, Gustafson is the most athletic QB on roster. But as he showed, he's pretty damn effective when not 100%.

Stitt deserves more if not all of the blame for the NDSU playoff debacle. Stitt and Co were totally out-coached by NDSU's staff.

Serious question.. Do you know what athletic means?

grizcountry420 said:
PlayerRep said:
grizcountry420 said:
Grisly Fan said:

One thing i will say about Brady is that he probably has one of the best arms in the conference. I dont think there is another QB in the conference who can throw a better out route than him. At times he did rush the ball and you could tell where he was going to throw the ball but i think that comes down to not getting enough reps from being injured in the middle of the season like you were saying..

Agreed. I would also add that is ability to throw the deep ball with ease is incredible. That takes allot of arm talent.

jcu27 said:
griz5700 said:
grizaremoregooder said:
I think Brady Gustafson will be the starter. He broke his leg in the third game of the season and somehow managed to salvage the season after the Idaho St. game on one healthy leg. The Grizzlies probably don't defeat EWU or MSU with Mekena Simis behind center IMO. Brady was the ONLY quarterback on the roster that made the offense a threat. Gus will be a 5th year senior with playoff experience next season and this is a good thing to have. A transfer and especially a high school kid coming in here in the fall will have a hard time winning the job from Brady "the golden goose" Gustafson.

Serious question.. Do you know what athletic means?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brady's been called a LOT of things....not very often you see "athletic" and "Brady Gustafson" in the same sentence.

You guys kill me. Please explain why Brady isn't "athletic".

Brady was a great basketball player and is a good overall athlete. You guys are making an assumption because he is lanky. Would I call him fast? No, but he is a good athlete.

Back