• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: A mixed bag of results

Couple observations I had:

1. Agree with Mtgrizrule, the quarterback play was affected by the weather. I thought JJ played fairly well given the conditions. It's hard to push the ball down field in the wind and rain.

2. OL struggled, but they also played against maybe the best defensive front they'll see all year. For being so inexperienced they played pretty disciplined. I was expecting more penalties and missed assignments and was pleasantly surprised that there weren't. There were some times where they had good pass blocking and even opened a few holes. The great thing is that they are only going to get better and they'll play teams that aren't as physically imposing up front as Wyo.

3. Wags was the best player on the field for either team. He flat out dominated and showed he is more than just a pass rusher. Really impressed with his motor and shows good leadership out there.

4. Overall, the defense played very well. They were better than the Wyoming offense. Corners covered well and tackled well. I think Wyoming is better on offense than many on here are giving them credit for. Bohl is an excellent coach and made some good adjustments at half time. We just need to find a way to sustain some drives offensively and not have our defense on the field too much.

5. Our offense is going to improve. Henderson is going to get healthier. Our OL will get better with some real game experience under their belt. I expect we'll see improvement week to week. I like Burke. He played a good game and blocks well down field.

6. Screens got blown up every time. Needs some work there. A lot of teams are going to blitz our young OL, we need those plays to be effective to keep them honest.

7. Special teams play concerns me. Lots of errors in punting and kicking game. Although, Shaw had a great game and our coverage was pretty good. Often times, punters with big legs will outkick the coverage, but our guys got down field in a hurry and were able to make those long punts count. That is a huge asset to have.

I'm excited for the rest of the year. I think we have the talent to do some good things this year. Proud of how are guys competed. I like our team.

on the blitz that sacked jj right up the middle I noticed our center did not even check the man that was head up on him..(the guy that blitzed) ,,the center looked at his left and never saw him which is hard to believe...even in zone blocking, you always block the most dangerous man....they did this several times where they doubled teamed a d lineman, only to let someone else have a free shot at jj....if not corrected and picked up jj will not last the season...that is coaching imo.....if nothing else go to a zone blocking scheme and simplify until they can work on this kind of line play situations....

krammer said:
on the blitz that sacked jj right up the middle I noticed our center did not even check the man that was head up on him..(the guy that blitzed) ,,the center looked at his left and never saw him which is hard to believe...even in zone blocking, you always block the most dangerous man....they did this several times where they doubled teamed a d lineman, only to let someone else have a free shot at jj....if not corrected and picked up jj will not last the season...that is coaching imo.....if nothing else go to a zone blocking scheme and simplify until they can work on this kind of line play situations....

Yes, exactly right on the blitz/sack. Don't think the center ended up blocking anyone. Don't agree that these things are coaching, tho. Coaches don't coach the center to ignore the guy in front him and then don't block anyone. That's just an execution mistake by the center, as were the others ones you mentioned, presumably.

Sam A. Blitz said:

1. Agree with Mtgrizrule, the quarterback play was affected by the weather. I thought JJ played fairly well given the conditions. It's hard to push the ball down field in the wind and rain.

2. OL struggled, but they also played against maybe the best defensive front they'll see all year. For being so inexperienced they played pretty disciplined. I was expecting more penalties and missed assignments and was pleasantly surprised that there weren't. There were some times where they had good pass blocking and even opened a few holes. The great thing is that they are only going to get better and they'll play teams that aren't as physically imposing up front as Wyo.

3. Wags was the best player on the field for either team. He flat out dominated and showed he is more than just a pass rusher. Really impressed with his motor and shows good leadership out there.

4. Overall, the defense played very well. They were better than the Wyoming offense. Corners covered well and tackled well. I think Wyoming is better on offense than many on here are giving them credit for. Bohl is an excellent coach and made some good adjustments at half time. We just need to find a way to sustain some drives offensively and not have our defense on the field too much.

5. Our offense is going to improve. Henderson is going to get healthier. Our OL will get better with some real game experience under their belt. I expect we'll see improvement week to week. I like Burke. He played a good game and blocks well down field.

6. Screens got blown up every time. Needs some work there. A lot of teams are going to blitz our young OL, we need those plays to be effective to keep them honest.

7. Special teams play concerns me. Lots of errors in punting and kicking game. Although, Shaw had a great game and our coverage was pretty good. Often times, punters with big legs will outkick the coverage, but our guys got down field in a hurry and were able to make those long punts count. That is a huge asset to have.

I'm excited for the rest of the year. I think we have the talent to do some good things this year. Proud of how are guys competed. I like our team.

Good observations. I agree. Plenty of work to do, but there is no reason the weaker areas can't be improved significantly.

PlayerRep said:
krammer said:

Yes, exactly right on the blitz/sack. Don't think the center ended up blocking anyone. Don't agree that these things are coaching, tho. Coaches don't coach the center to ignore the guy in front him and then don't block anyone. That's just an execution mistake by the center, as were the others ones you mentioned, presumably.

p/r, you are correct, now that I read what you said, coaches don't ignore this, I guess I'm having trouble as to how the execution was so problematic ,,,it really is as simple as blocking the most dangerous defender, but one does have to look to see who it is...ha !

Sam A. Blitz said:

Great observations. I wish more egrizzers had more reasonable thoughts like this. The world isn't ending. We'll get better. This will be a good season.

BWahlberg said:
It's good to see egriz is in mid-season form, maybe even already getting geared up to make the message board playoffs.

1. Wanting the coach fired after losing a close game to a higher division school

2. Saying JJ isn't a good QB

3. Saying we gave Van the ball too much

4. Saying our DC needs to be fired or that our defense sucks after they went +2, had 6 sacks, and held a bigger/stronger team to just 17 points on the road.

5. Quantifying the Griz TDs as being "lucky" and suggesting that maybe they shouldn't even count

6. Having EWU and MSU fans come on here bemoaning the end of the world for the Griz.

Am I missing anything? haha

Seriously Brint, are you surprised? This is egriz, after all, land of legendary armchair QBs!

krammer said:
PlayerRep said:
krammer said:

p/r, you are correct, now that I read what you said, coaches don't ignore this, I guess I'm having trouble as to how the execution was so problematic ,,,it really is as simple as blocking the most dangerous defender, but one does have to look to see who it is...ha !

I don't know how the blocking scheme works, but it can't possibly tell the center to ignore the guy who has moved up right in front of him and look to his left to give any needed help to the left guard who is blocking a d-tackle, especially when there is no back to block the blitzer. Like you observed, that was a huge and costly screw up. I had made a similar comment in my first post in this thread on Sat. night.

To be effective, an offensive line has to work as a team, communicating both verbally and non-verbally, in order to pick up all the rushers coming from the otherside of the ball. It often takes an o-line with returning players half the season to get in to form, and with essentially a whole new line for the Griz, it could take all season. That's why the short, quick pass strategy was needed in the beginning of the game, but as soon as JJ tried to go longer he was hurrying his throws with the predictable results

I don't think it is original with him, but Hauck used to always say that "your offense is as good as your offensive line." It's true, and probably the major reason we are going to suck air for awhile this season.

grizfromhel said:
To be effective, an offensive line has to work as a team, communicating both verbally and non-verbally, in order to pick up all the rushers coming from the otherside of the ball. It often takes an o-line with returning players half the season to get in to form, and with essentially a whole new line for the Griz, it could take all season. That's why the short, quick pass strategy was needed in the beginning of the game, but as soon as JJ tried to go longer he was hurrying his throws with the predictable results

I don't think it is original with him, but Hauck used to always say that "your offense is as good as your offensive line." It's true, and probably the major reason we are going to suck air for awhile this season.

USC started 2 true freshmen on their O-Line this week. Seemed to work OK.

the o-line clearly made some big mistakes, but in terms of their physical competitiveness i thought they were ok.

This thread looks very similar to those in September of 2011..."we are just another team", "our offense is awful", "fire the staff"....yada, yada, yada.

GrizzGriz said:
This thread looks very similar to those in September of 2011..."we are just another team", "our offense is awful", "fire the staff"....yada, yada, yada.

eGriz is like Groundhog Day every year. :lol:

PlayerRep said:
krammer said:
PlayerRep said:
krammer said:

I don't know how the blocking scheme works, but it can't possibly tell the center to ignore the guy who has moved up right in front of him and look to his left to give any needed help to the left guard who is blocking a d-tackle, especially when there is no back to block the blitzer. Like you observed, that was a huge and costly screw up. I had made a similar comment in my first post in this thread on Sat. night.

It could be that the RG was supposed to look left also and didn't, if they read the overload going to the left that would be the case.

The 4th and 8 is on the Wyo highlight reel. It's a zone blitz with what looks like a QB contain strategy. Todd is the RG, L. Hines the center, J. Hines the LG. Wyo shows a 6 man blitz with the mike backer and the OLB over Jordan Hines standing on the line.

When the ball is snapped the DT lined up across Jordan Hines takes 1 step forward and then steps back to stay in a short coverage/contain. Equally the OLB on that side does the same thing. Both Jordan and Logan move to block the DT that winds up not rushing the QB. While doing this Logan turns his shoulder to the blitzing mike-backer who gets a free shot at Jordy. Meanwhile Todd engages the other DT who slides to Todd's outside and because the blitz forced JJ that way, cleans up the play as JJ was stumbling/falling into him.

BWahlberg said:
It's good to see egriz is in mid-season form, maybe even already getting geared up to make the message board playoffs.

1. Wanting the coach fired after losing a close game to a higher division school

2. Saying JJ isn't a good QB

3. Saying we gave Van the ball too much

4. Saying our DC needs to be fired or that our defense sucks after they went +2, had 6 sacks, and held a bigger/stronger team to just 17 points on the road.

5. Quantifying the Griz TDs as being "lucky" and suggesting that maybe they shouldn't even count

6. Having EWU and MSU fans come on here bemoaning the end of the world for the Griz.

Am I missing anything? haha

POY Nomination!!!!

qwerty15ster said:
Sam A. Blitz said:

Great observations. I wish more egrizzers had more reasonable thoughts like this. The world isn't ending. We'll get better. This will be a good season.

I agree. This was a great post. Spot on.

Chester Cheetah said:
PlayerRep said:
krammer said:
PlayerRep said:

It could be that the RG was supposed to look left also and didn't, if they read the overload going to the left that would be the case.

You obviously didn't see the play. It was clearly the center's fault. Even someone who never played the game like yourself, would know that if he saw the play. UM's team video review today showed that the center made a mistake. Too bad. It was an important play. But things like this are correctable. It's not that the center got beat or pushed into the backfield by a superior/stronger player. The center will learn from the mistake and do better. Life will go on. And you will probably continue to be a troll on egriz.

BWahlberg said:
The 4th and 8 is on the Wyo highlight reel. It's a zone blitz with what looks like a QB contain strategy. Todd is the RG, L. Hines the center, J. Hines the LG. Wyo shows a 6 man blitz with the mike backer and the OLB over Jordan Hines standing on the line.

When the ball is snapped the DT lined up across Jordan Hines takes 1 step forward and then steps back to stay in a short coverage/contain. Equally the OLB on that side does the same thing. Both Jordan and Logan move to block the DT that winds up not rushing the QB. While doing this Logan turns his shoulder to the blitzing mike-backer who gets a free shot at Jordy. Meanwhile Todd engages the other DT who slides to Todd's outside and because the blitz forced JJ that way, cleans up the play as JJ was stumbling/falling into him.

So it sound like the original overload indicator was to the left and the center made the right initial move but because it was a middle middle blitz that was delayed and the left side dropped out they didn't readjust post snap.

I only saw the play live on TV but reading your description I can picture exactly what happened, it sounds like a well executed zone blitz by Wy that exploited the inexperience of the OL.

film study will fix these problems

Back