• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: A mixed bag of results

mcg said:
I was at the game and have to say (contrary to BW and Mr. Tip) I thought the offensive line play was pretty substandard. Way too many plays ended with JJ on his back wondering where the pass went and who caught it.

I thought the decision to go on 4th down in the third quarter was correct, but the play that was run was a complete no-hoper. I can't say why the middle linebacker wasn't blocked, but he wasn't.

Taking the timeouts in the middle of the fourth quarter worked well. The Griz got the ball at about the 20 yard line with 6 minutes to play. Great opportunity to drive for the winning touchdown with little time remaining on the clock. Didn't work out that way.

The special teams miscues had little impact on the final outcome, but begs the question, why can't the Griz perform pretty simple special teams tasks like complete an extra point or block for the punter?

Griz nation did well. The best part was completely shutting down the UW cheerleaders at the start of the second quarter with a vigorous "let's go Griz" cheer. I've got a renewed appreciation for Wa-Griz.

Au Contraire...Competent placement kicking could have made a big difference. Without the flubbed first PAT attempt followed by a failed two point makeup conversion try you're down 17 -14 with ample to time to engineer a less frantic and marginally higher percentage drive for a tying field goal instead of a less manageable TD.

I have a feeling there may not be a lot of emphasis on the special teams at times. Say what you want about BH, special teams were an important emphasis of his. Most of the time the ST play was impeccable and we looked forward to their plays because good things often happened. Now we kind of dread them.

Also want to mention the tight ends play. They looked good and maybe we could go to them a little more often.

Silvertip said:
mcg said:
I was at the game and have to say (contrary to BW and Mr. Tip) I thought the offensive line play was pretty substandard. Way too many plays ended with JJ on his back wondering where the pass went and who caught it.

I thought the decision to go on 4th down in the third quarter was correct, but the play that was run was a complete no-hoper. I can't say why the middle linebacker wasn't blocked, but he wasn't.

Taking the timeouts in the middle of the fourth quarter worked well. The Griz got the ball at about the 20 yard line with 6 minutes to play. Great opportunity to drive for the winning touchdown with little time remaining on the clock. Didn't work out that way.

The special teams miscues had little impact on the final outcome, but begs the question, why can't the Griz perform pretty simple special teams tasks like complete an extra point or block for the punter?

Griz nation did well. The best part was completely shutting down the UW cheerleaders at the start of the second quarter with a vigorous "let's go Griz" cheer. I've got a renewed appreciation for Wa-Griz.

Au Contraire...Competent placement kicking could have made a big difference. Without the flubbed first PAT attempt followed by a failed two point makeup conversion try you're down 17 -14 with ample to time to engineer a less frantic and marginally higher percentage drive for a tying field goal instead of a less manageable TD.

Fair enough, but the final drive started with 6 minutes to go and never got beyond four snaps, so I think the missed PAT didn't matter. Had that drive started with 2 minutes to go, I would agree completely.

CV Griz Fan said:
PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:
PlayerRep said:
Your post is not accurate. It's because of your long-term bias on safety play at UM. Hermie is a very good tackler. He has good technique. He tackles fine in space. He's a hard hitter. He was UM's second leading tackler today, with 11, and was UM's leading solo tackler with 8. He missed on a "bad" angle, after the runner got thru off tackle without being touched when one or more backers were not near the hole. Most safeties will not have the "right" angle if a runner gets thru the line untouched. He didn't make a tackle on the sideline, after good contact. Should have. He missed in the middle, when there was slight helmet to helmet contact and the runner slowed Hermie's momentum. He should have made some of those. He will in the future.

Great. Me and the broadcasters are wrong. But please answer the question, is Hermanson an NFL talent like Colt?

Yes, you and announcers are frequently wrong. Don't know on NFL talent. I'm better at judging college talent (and "cheating" by talking/listening to coaches about college talent).

So is that a no? PR you're a great poster but you are not all knowing. Your non-scholarship days of playing college football a generation ago have lost it's luster. Were you drafted by the NFL/ AFL, where you a Streets and Smith's top 100 college football player? Off course not.... Were you a USA Eagle alternate in Rugby, did you play for the Pacific Coast Grizzlies Rep side? Did you play rugby for any power team like OMBAC, Belmont Shores, Life College or the Denver Barbarians? If you did, send me an Motherfu....PM. Otherwise STFU.
PR you have a Stanford Law degree. That's great but it's not like it's from Boalt. Please get over yourself.... I will talk rugby and football anytime you want if you got the guts.

LOL. Looks like I'm not the only one that thinks this guy is a COMPLETE doucher.

PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:
PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:
5. Poor tacking. Hermanson got ripped last year by the broadcasters too especially during the EWU game. He cannot tackle in space. His angles are poor and breakdown technique is horrible. He will never be Colt Anderson. Move on...

Your post is not accurate. It's because of your long-term bias on safety play at UM. Hermie is a very good tackler. He has good technique. He tackles fine in space. He's a hard hitter. He was UM's second leading tackler today, with 11, and was UM's leading solo tackler with 8. He missed on a "bad" angle, after the runner got thru off tackle without being touched when one or more backers were not near the hole. Most safeties will not have the "right" angle if a runner gets thru the line untouched. He didn't make a tackle on the sideline, after good contact. Should have. He missed in the middle, when there was slight helmet to helmet contact and the runner slowed Hermie's momentum. He should have made some of those. He will in the future.

Great. Me and the broadcasters are wrong. But please answer the question, is Hermanson an NFL talent like Colt?

Yes, you and announcers are frequently wrong. Don't know on NFL talent. I'm better at judging college talent (and "cheating" by talking/listening to coaches about college talent).

Do you mean football talent or "Talent"?

Also, who really thinks Wyoming is a "Decent" FBS team? (other than PR)

Bingo... once again I instantly ID'ed PR simply from the self-aggrandizing smarty pants post without needing to see the sender's name.

grizcountry420 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if JJ keeps throwing the ball 40 plus times per game. Our run game was lethargic! If we wanna be a good team, we can't be so one dimensional, otherwise our d will be out on the field the majority of the time.

This! Return to Air Bear. Mobile, athletic quarterback, stable of stud receivers and a suspect line. Use waggles to buy some time. Unhook the plow and let JJ do his magic.

mcg said:
Silvertip said:
mcg said:

Fair enough, but the final drive started with 6 minutes to go and never got beyond four snaps, so I think the missed PAT didn't matter. Had that drive started with 2 minutes to go, I would agree completely.

So you like your offense better having 2 minutes instead of 6 :?: Am guessing you'd be ecstatic to start a drive with 15 seconds on the clock instead of 2 minutes. :?

rimrockgriz said:
Winning is everything. spinning is what losers do... :egriz:

I see what you did there.....with that spin you just shot yourself in the foot with any argument you might have had.

Silvertip said:
mcg said:
Silvertip said:
mcg said:

So you like your offense better having 2 minutes instead of 6 :?: Am guessing you'd be ecstatic to start a drive with 15 seconds on the clock instead of 2 minutes. :?

The irony is a lot of touchdowns are scored with just two minutes left.

Ursa Major said:
grizcountry420 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if JJ keeps throwing the ball 40 plus times per game. Our run game was lethargic! If we wanna be a good team, we can't be so one dimensional, otherwise our d will be out on the field the majority of the time.

This! Return to Air Bear. Mobile, athletic quarterback, stable of stud receivers and a suspect line. Use waggles to buy some time. Unhook the plow and let JJ do his magic.

A young undersized line with little experience.... Sounds like the remedy for this offense. I'd bet the rushing yards would start piling up. I've never bought into "establish the run and open up the pass". The door swings both ways.

rcscott said:
Ursa Major said:
grizcountry420 said:

A young undersized line with little experience.... Sounds like the remedy for this offense. I'd bet the rushing yards would start piling up. I've never bought into "establish the run and open up the pass". The door swings both ways.

This. Our best running plays came after we established the pass early. And as cclarkblues pointed out, our tight ends were a big part of that.

The chance to make the playoff is really what we should care about. Our season will start with game 6 when we can't afford to lose more than one more time.

BWahlberg said:
RayWill said:
PlayerRep said:
RayWill said:
Poor snap, bumbled held and a miss wide about 5 feet to the left. The whole thing was possibly the worst play of the game.

Thanks. Was the regular snapper snapping?

I didn't catch who was snapping on that play.

Also of note though was that I saw Wyer go out in the first and don't think he returned. Also I heard that Hermenson might be out for a week

Snapper was Takai, apparently he was gassed at the time.

Weyer sprained his knee.

Holmes sprained and ankle but returned

Hermey not sure, he did return though.

Oh good. I didn't catch his return is all then. Hate to see anyone get hurt at all but losing another Oline has got to hurt

PlayerRep said:
Two quotes,from the Missoulian articles, relevant to your comments:

1.“I thought Jordy played very well,” Delaney said."

Just wanted to clarify what I meant. I probably should have worded it differently. Not "bad game" but more of a rough game. Bad game makes it sound like I think JJ played awful which wasn't want I meant (poor wording on my part). I think JJ is a great QB. The game against Wyoming was rough probably due to the fact he was getting almost no protection back there & we had no run game. Getting knocked around so frequently is going to throw a QB off a bit I'd imagine. That and the weather likely affected his passing a bit.

I still am perplexed as to why we don't turn JJ loose more often though in the hurry up offense. It's often a thing of beauty and plays right into JJ's strengths. Maybe we will more as the season goes on.

I'll chime in with many others here and hope that this staff will unchain JJ and the receivers. The passing game is going to be the strength of the offense for awhile. The O line will get better with time and the running game will come. But let the pass set up the run.

The D is going to be very good as the season progresses.

You have to have the threat of a run play to pass out of the pro - style offense. If you don't, then all you really have are two or more wasted skill positions that are never really taken seriously as part of your game.

I will say this, the WY QB was rattled by Wags and kept looking his direction.
Great to see this.
Too bad the defensive coaches didn't have Wags go to the left side of the defense a couple of times during the 4th quarter.

Also every time Henderson was in the game he did something special.
So great to see him in the game when he could!!!!!

PlayerRep said:
Potomac Griz said:
My my 2 cents, but I thought our D played very well for the most part. Yes Wyoming isn't exactly a juggernaut, but they do have FBS talent, some fine running backs and a hell of a coach now. Our D was a major bright spot in the game I thought. From the looks of our offensive line we are going to have to rely on the D big time this year.

JJ had a bad game, but jeezus he was on his back way too often and we had no run game since there were no holes. Our offense looked good though when we went into the hurry up and let JJ use his strengths to move the ball down the field. When our coaching staff actually lets our O play to their strengths its a great thing to watch! Wish they did it more often.

What makes this loss toughest to swallow is some of the questionable calls by our coaching staff on offense. The timeouts were oddly used which even the announcers found baffling. The run on 1st down play our last drive after we just marched down the field with the hurry up passing offense the previous drive. We couldn't run worth a shit today, why put ourselves in a hole on our last drive? Then there was the first drive of the game, run 3 straight times including on 3rd and 14? Did...we just not have any plays ready for that series and said "aww f*** it, we need more time to think so lets get the O off the field." Probably not THAT important but still kind of made me think WTF? I really wish our coaching staff would turn JJ loose. He's an incredible talent when we use his strengths.

To tell you the truth, and I know this is going to sound like the whole "hindsight is 20/20" thing, but I thought we should have punted the first time when we were up 6-3. Pin Wyoming deep and let our D who had been very impressive get another stop. Instead we go for it there, our OLine doesn't even give JJ 2 seconds and he gets sacked. Then when we actually SHOULD to go for it on 4th and 4 down by 11, we punt. Just didn't make sense.

I expected the Griz to lose this game, but the fact we had opportunity to win this game and iffy calls prevented that is what annoys the hell out of me.

After the first half I remember thinking we definitely have the talent to win this game...but do we have the coaching?

Anyway, on to next game against Central Washington! If we struggle to run against them and struggle to protect JJ that's going to be a scary sign of things to come... hope that's not the case!

Two quotes,from the Missoulian articles, relevant to your comments:

1.“I thought Jordy played very well,” Delaney said."

"Johnson, always striving to perfect his game, felt he could have done a better job helping his young line.“One thing I can do a better job of is ID-ing where they need to go,” he said. “There was one in particular where there was some confusion and the play clock was running down and I need to do a better job of communicating where they need to slide to. But that’s first-game stuff and they’ve never played so we can only get better.”

"Bohl was impressed with Johnson’s performance."

2. “I made a bad decision to go for it on fourth-and-8 from the (Wyoming) 36-yard line and we got sacked. We had played such great defense up to that point and that’s kind of a turnover really. It gave them some momentum, some spark to go down and score.”

That's rich, no credence in what a sports announcer opinion has, althought makes reference from the Missoulian as golden.

Good insights Brint, to bad the likes of skilled attorney with to much time on his hands to troll up your good report.

Back