• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: A mixed bag of results

Chester Cheetah said:
BWahlberg said:
The 4th and 8 is on the Wyo highlight reel. It's a zone blitz with what looks like a QB contain strategy. Todd is the RG, L. Hines the center, J. Hines the LG. Wyo shows a 6 man blitz with the mike backer and the OLB over Jordan Hines standing on the line.

When the ball is snapped the DT lined up across Jordan Hines takes 1 step forward and then steps back to stay in a short coverage/contain. Equally the OLB on that side does the same thing. Both Jordan and Logan move to block the DT that winds up not rushing the QB. While doing this Logan turns his shoulder to the blitzing mike-backer who gets a free shot at Jordy. Meanwhile Todd engages the other DT who slides to Todd's outside and because the blitz forced JJ that way, cleans up the play as JJ was stumbling/falling into him.

So it sound like the original overload indicator was to the left and the center made the right initial move but because it was a middle middle blitz that was delayed and the left side dropped out they didn't readjust post snap.

I only saw the play live on TV but reading your description I can picture exactly what happened, it sounds like a well executed zone blitz by Wy that exploited the inexperience of the OL.

film study will fix these problems

There is no reason to look left when there is a blitzer right in front of the center. The conclusion of the coaches is that it was a mistake by the center. Yes, it may have been a well-designed/executed play by Wyo.

It's probably worth noting that while some "fans" thought that Jordan Johnson's Wyoming game performance was the worst they had ever seen from him, he was still the team's nominee for Big Sky offensive player of the week.
Johnson did attempt 45 passes, which probably wasn't in the script.

griz4life said:
It's probably worth noting that while some "fans" thought that Jordan Johnson's Wyoming game performance was the worst they had ever seen from him, he was still the team's nominee for Big Sky offensive player of the week.
Johnson did attempt 45 passes, which probably wasn't in the script.

You'll continue to see 45 plus pass attempts if the run game doesn't pick up..

PlayerRep said:
Chester Cheetah said:
BWahlberg said:
The 4th and 8 is on the Wyo highlight reel. It's a zone blitz with what looks like a QB contain strategy. Todd is the RG, L. Hines the center, J. Hines the LG. Wyo shows a 6 man blitz with the mike backer and the OLB over Jordan Hines standing on the line.

When the ball is snapped the DT lined up across Jordan Hines takes 1 step forward and then steps back to stay in a short coverage/contain. Equally the OLB on that side does the same thing. Both Jordan and Logan move to block the DT that winds up not rushing the QB. While doing this Logan turns his shoulder to the blitzing mike-backer who gets a free shot at Jordy. Meanwhile Todd engages the other DT who slides to Todd's outside and because the blitz forced JJ that way, cleans up the play as JJ was stumbling/falling into him.

So it sound like the original overload indicator was to the left and the center made the right initial move but because it was a middle middle blitz that was delayed and the left side dropped out they didn't readjust post snap.

I only saw the play live on TV but reading your description I can picture exactly what happened, it sounds like a well executed zone blitz by Wy that exploited the inexperience of the OL.

There is no reason to look left when there is a blitzer right in front of the center. The conclusion of the coaches is that it was a mistake by the center. Yes, it may have been a well-designed/executed play by Wyo.
Yes there is, if that is the overload side then the OL needs to reach left, if the MLB backs out and the OLB and DT go then JJ gets sacked by either the DE, DT or the OLB. (its a 3 on 2 situation)

Its obvious that you know nothing about the OL

Its a tough blitz to stop but given a little film and I am sure your guys will learn to adjust post snap

Chester Cheetah said:
PlayerRep said:
Chester Cheetah said:
BWahlberg said:

Yes there is, if that is the overload side then the OL needs to reach left, if the MLB backs out and the OLB and DT go then JJ gets sacked by either the DE, DT or the OLB. (its a 3 on 2 situation)

Its a tough blitz to stop but given a little film and I am sure your guys will learn to adjust post snap

I do know o/l play and if the defender is blitzing at the 0 gap he is the most dangerous player as he is in the middle of the field and the shortest route to the qb,,,by definition, if he comes, he should be the first one blocked, period...if other backers come then all the o/l blocks down to protect those gaps......now I do believe what you say is true, this will get better with practice time, but p/r is correct on this one....the center flat missed his assignment, it happens in football.....

Every player mistake is correctable. Headset mistakes, not so much. With his Western gig, MD is a 5th year senior still making freshman mistakes. JG figures out how to win that game if he's wearing the main headset IMHO

I hope this staff gets better. As stated before, USC started 2 freshman and they did just fine, so I hope they have a fast learning curve or this will be a long season. Wyoming, while not horrible, was not a great team. 17-12 loss after Bohl had been there for 4 years would have been something as you see why he did so well at NDSU and will do well in Laramie. I am more with the team, losing sucks, especially since, IMO these teams were more than evenly matched.

Chester Cheetah said:
PlayerRep said:
Chester Cheetah said:
BWahlberg said:

I know enough about o-line play and blocking to know that the center has to look first at the backer standing right over him, and not look left and let the backer be on the qb within about 1.5 seconds. The center should not look to help on a possible overload that is outside the left guard, unless there is no one to block in his immediate area. I can tell by your comments that you didn't even see the play. No one who actually saw the play, and the replay, could possibly say what you are saying. Krammer is dead on right with his recollection and analysis.

marceagfan5 said:
I do fully expect the Griz to turn it around and you have two cupcakes coming up to work in that oline.
S. Dakota (FCS) is not a cupcake; Montana - Western (NAIA) is a cupcake.

putter said:
I hope this staff gets better. As stated before, USC started 2 freshman and they did just fine, so I hope they have a fast learning curve or this will be a long season. Wyoming, while not horrible, was not a great team. 17-12 loss after Bohl had been there for 4 years would have been something as you see why he did so well at NDSU and will do well in Laramie. I am more with the team, losing sucks, especially since, IMO these teams were more than evenly matched.

Because freshman at USC and freshman at UM are of the same caliber?

This is the first game of the season and neither team looked good. Wyoming took over late in the game with their run attack. This is precisely what Bobby Ball was like when he coached the Griz.
Delaney has admitted to making the wrong call on the 4th down play and that was the game changer. Hopefully the team and the coaches learned from this game and the mistakes get corrected.

HelenaHandBasket said:
putter said:

Are our freshman O-Line playing the same calibur of D-Line that USC faced?

putter said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
putter said:

Are our freshman O-Line playing the same calibur of D-Line that USC faced?

Not sure Fresno St has a d-line much different than Wyoming...

Back