• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post game: A team loss

griz4life said:
I don't think all the planning in the world would have fixed Montana's biggest vulnerabilities.

Montana's left tackle was absolutely destroyed
all night long. The Griz couldn't control the left edge.

The O line not controlling the left edge sure affected the quarterback, who was overthrowing and forcing plays even when the left side pressure backed of. There seemed to be a real lack of confidence that the left tackle would hold up. This was no small matter. It lead to hurried pass that resulted in a pick.

NAU has been tremendous in recent years when rolling out a jumbo set and steamrolling the Griz defense. It forces Montana to change it's game, forces the Griz to surrender control of the line of scrimmage. The threat of that power run game changes what the Griz do.
This isn't the first year NAU has done this. Recall that they throttled the Griz in Missoula when Montana had three NFL on the field. Hard to defend the vertical passing game when you don't control the line of scrimmage.
I'm tired of the poor line play. And the other throws. Who cares if we can do it against Sac and MVSU.....if we can't execute on the road against a formidable opponent.....then we are just as bad as last season.

We were told "they're bigger, stronger, and better" well I'll admit I bought the sales pitch. They're not delivering though. Upsetting. Hopefully the next group is getting prepared for next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kemajic said:
G-BEARS said:
Yamen Sanders needs to be benched. He hasn't played a good half of football this season.
I was the other Sanders (#1) that I saw getting beaten with regularity.

Yeah, Markell didn't play well yesterday along with a lot of other players. Yamen hasn't played well yet this season.

kemajic said:
G-BEARS said:
I think that although we played poorly today, we were also unlucky. The ball didn't bounce our way so to speak. Whenever it seemed like we were going to get something going, a turnover or a reffing decision would stop our momentum. Homan's fumble could have easily bounced out of bounds. Things like that could have went the other way and made a huge difference. We played like shit though and thoroughly deserved to lose.
Do you mean those stupid personal fouls?

Yep, that's one of them. Not blaming the refs, just saying we couldn't get into a rhythm for various reasons.

Kinda funny, after Ohio #2 in the nation looses and just now Seattle vs Cardinals ends in tie with not one TD for five quarters of football.
Griz in good company. :thumb:

brewskis said:
We were told "they're bigger, stronger, and better" well I'll admit I bought the sales pitch. They're not delivering though. Upsetting. Hopefully the next group is getting prepared for next season.
It wasn't that you "bought it," you were more than willing to insult and dishonestly disparage anyone who didn't.

UMGriz75 said:
brewskis said:
It wasn't that you "bought it," you were more than willing to insult and dishonestly disparage anyone who didn't.
Good morning 75. Have a good weekend?

HelenaHandBasket said:
kemajic said:
Griz2k said:
kemajic said:
Where would that sea level game be?

You know that was a joke right?
No; by me. Jokes usually generate a laugh.

Have you ever laughed?
64108811.jpg

2 primary keys to this loss. An over confident defensive game plan that was based on our ability to pressure but we were unable to get to NAU. With secondary playing man it left receivers open. An adjustment was main which shored up the coverage. Second issue was pressure on Gus. He is very uncomfortable when pressured which seems to cause over throws.

brewskis said:
griz4life said:
I don't think all the planning in the world would have fixed Montana's biggest vulnerabilities.

Montana's left tackle was absolutely destroyed
all night long. The Griz couldn't control the left edge.

The O line not controlling the left edge sure affected the quarterback, who was overthrowing and forcing plays even when the left side pressure backed of. There seemed to be a real lack of confidence that the left tackle would hold up. This was no small matter. It lead to hurried pass that resulted in a pick.

NAU has been tremendous in recent years when rolling out a jumbo set and steamrolling the Griz defense. It forces Montana to change it's game, forces the Griz to surrender control of the line of scrimmage. The threat of that power run game changes what the Griz do.
This isn't the first year NAU has done this. Recall that they throttled the Griz in Missoula when Montana had three NFL on the field. Hard to defend the vertical passing game when you don't control the line of scrimmage.
I'm tired of the poor line play. And the other throws. Who cares if we can do it against Sac and MVSU.....if we can't execute on the road against a formidable opponent.....then we are just as bad as last season.

AZ made a good point in another thread:

"The O-line is BETTER, for sure, but still not where we'd need it to be for the offense to be truly effective against good/better defenses."

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I think two straight blow-outs over cupcakes at home instilled over-confidence that the team couldn't shake. They were awestruck like deer staring at headlights of the truck coming to roll over them. I can't help but wonder what a couple of close wins over quality opponents prior to this game might have done for game preparation? I suspect a much different mood and focus coming in to Cheney. Will it be enough? Don't know but I would be shocked to see EWU jump ahead quickly. I think it will be more of a punch/counter-punch kind of game and if the Griz have a chance to win at the end it will be because of improvement in all facets of the game. The wild card will be whether the Griz can play well on the road. Have to face it, they are not a good road team.

Back