• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post game: A team loss

Umista said:
It is the next day, most of us got some sleep and are alive and well. Yes we played like a loser. Fumbles, poor tackling, cheap PFs, QB throwing far to many air balls, head coaching stodgy same o same o.

POOR: Coaching by the Griz.
Offensive play.
Defensive play.
Special treams, bad awful.
Preparation, not much. Not enough!

We did not use any new plays of offense. We were easy to prepare for. Same with our defense. Putting John back to return punts is dumb. Our kick-off returns are bad, we all hope he does not bring the ball out.

Inspite of all this "bad" we could beat EWU Sat so don't give up until the extra fat lady sings!

What does the undsu team mom have to do with the Griz getting back on track?

havgrizfan said:
G-BEARS said:
That NAU team has some of the better athletes in the conference, up there with Eastern Washington.

Agree fully. Every member of the Griz secondary absolutely looked a step slower than the NAU skill players. Doesn't bode well for next week.

NAU must have other great players than just #8. 14 passes were thrown to him and his final stats were 4 catches, 75 yards, and no TD's. So to get 45 points, there's got to be other really good players

I blame the loss on jet lag, as a result of traveling from the 47th to the 35th parallel.

I don't think all the planning in the world would have fixed Montana's biggest vulnerabilities.

Montana's left tackle was absolutely destroyed
all night long. The Griz couldn't control the left edge.

The O line not controlling the left edge sure affected the quarterback, who was overthrowing and forcing plays even when the left side pressure backed of. There seemed to be a real lack of confidence that the left tackle would hold up. This was no small matter. It lead to hurried pass that resulted in a pick.

NAU has been tremendous in recent years when rolling out a jumbo set and steamrolling the Griz defense. It forces Montana to change it's game, forces the Griz to surrender control of the line of scrimmage. The threat of that power run game changes what the Griz do.
This isn't the first year NAU has done this. Recall that they throttled the Griz in Missoula when Montana had three NFL on the field. Hard to defend the vertical passing game when you don't control the line of scrimmage.

PlayerRep said:
zengriz said:
...out played...
...out coached...
...out disciplined...

... :oops: ...

What was with all the penalties? Seemed out of character for this team this year.

Mental breakdowns were everywhere yesterday. Usually when a receiver gets behind the defense early it serves as a wake-up call, seeing it again on the next possession is unheard of. And the penalties, wow. Just really weren't ready to go, it's all you can say.

Well, there was a lot of cockiness the past two weeks on these boards; but the usual suspects got pretty quiet yesterday. Hubris is a nasty dinner.

Dating back to Year 2000, Griz Defense kept NAU to an average of 22 points. Yesterday saw the most points ever scored by NAU against a Griz Defense and they did so playing a second string QB.

Yesterday's UM offense was pretty close to the 16 year average of 30 points.

It's all my fault. I opted to wear a Griz sweatshirt instead of my normal Griz jersey yesterday. I'll be better this week.

grizband said:
Hopefully this Griz team responds in similar fashion to the 2008 Griz after losing to Weber State in the road...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Question, How many players on this team would remember how the '08 team responded after losing to Weber State that year? Just curious.

I didn't think it's relevant to remember...Just hope they have the same resolve

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

We got our A__ kicked and handed to us. Coaches did not have them ready to play this game, NAU did, hope this whopping will right the ship for this week. The wounded bear?

I will say it.
NAU is the best O line that the Griz has faced and will face all regular season.
EWU does not have as good of O line thus the need for a QB that will run.

G-BEARS said:
Yamen Sanders needs to be benched. He hasn't played a good half of football this season.
It was the other Sanders (#1) that I saw getting beaten with regularity.

G-BEARS said:
I think that although we played poorly today, we were also unlucky. The ball didn't bounce our way so to speak. Whenever it seemed like we were going to get something going, a turnover or a reffing decision would stop our momentum. Homan's fumble could have easily bounced out of bounds. Things like that could have went the other way and made a huge difference. We played like shit though and thoroughly deserved to lose.
Do you mean those stupid personal fouls?

PlayerRep said:
TG's D didn't give up 45 and 42 last year.

I actually think that, with a healthy JLM, UM might have won today. Our receivers had the ball in space multiple times today, and I think JLM would have had bigger gains or scored on some of those plays.
TG's D last year had quite a few very good players we no longer have. I agree with the impact of JLM being out; Lyons is more remindful of Naccarato than he is JLM. He does not escape many tackles. Homan has been very good, but the fumble was killer.

Back