• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Rando Tourney Talk

NorthEndZoneDan said:
that was insane!
Unbelievable!

Another buzzer-beater to close the day. Michigan plays ugly, ugly ... but they find a way to win. (And made our bracket perfect for the day, BTW.)

cmtgrizzly said:
I hope Michigan rolls for the next couple of games

I made the mistake of going to their blog site referenced early in the Michigan game thread. Wish I wouldnt have done that. I hope they get crushed next Thursday.

cmtgrizzly said:
cmtgrizzly said:

I made the mistake of going to their blog site referenced early in the Michigan game thread. Wish I wouldnt have done that. I hope they get crushed next Thursday.

Oh? Enlighten us.

PeauxRouge said:
cmtgrizzly said:
cmtgrizzly said:

Oh? Enlighten us.

Most not unexpected from a fanbase in panic mode but certainly enough to make me hope they lose. Check it out for yourself as you may find it to be nothing. You have to find the Michigan/Montana thread and there are a lot of posts to read through. Someone posted the blog link on the second or third post of our game thread.

Disastrous day for brackets.

First, Butler looked like they were on a role, so we picked that as an upset. And they almost pulled it off, but lost to Purdue by three points. Strike one.

Then we went with the conventional numbers, picking Michigan State to advance. But that was the upset, with Syracuse winning by two. Strike two.

And UNC also looked like and easy call, but Texas A&M is stomping them (68-46, right now). That looks like strike three. (And it was.)

Ouch!

Edit: The disaster continues. Nevada, a 7 seed, knocked of Cincinnati, another 2 seed. I'm really, really happy for Nevada, but it sure plays Hell with picks.

The Griz shot poorly against Michigan, no question about it. But right now, 5 min into the second half, Auburn has scored just 26 points against Clemson and are down 59-26. They're hitting 20% on twos and 22% on treys.

Since it's a 4 (Auburn) against a 5 seed, it shouldn't be huge bracket buster, but it sure ain't pretty.

UN-REAL!

Yesterday, form held (favored teams won) in every game but one: 3-seed Tennessee lost to 11-seed Loyola-Chicago.

Today, in eight games, we have had five games where top seeds lost: one 1-seed (Xavier), two 2-seeds (Cincinnati and North Carolina), one 3-seed (Michigan State), and one 4-seed (Auburn). Purdue (a 2-seed) won, as did Kansas State (a 9-seed playing #16 UMBC), and West Virgina (5-seed) is easily handling Marshal (a 13).

After that kind of bloodbath, you wonder just how many, if any brackets are still intact.

I hope the upsets continue all the way through. I want to see and hear the whining of the power 5 conferences about needing changes in the tournament. Then, want to see how much the NCAA caters to them, or if they would actually stand their ground to them? I am loving that lower seeded teams are beating higher seeded teams at a good rate this season. I feel this is great for NCAA basketball. It is also a reason why I will always pull for the likes of Gonzaga, Nevada, Butler, Creighton, Villanova, Xavier, etc. Those schools set the tone for other aspiring programs not in the power 5 (SEC,ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac 12). I want to see Montana as one of those programs, starting next season as a Sweet 16 representative.

Personally, I want there to be a rule of no teams with a sub .500 conference record in the NCAA tournament, regardless of conference. I'd also like to see some way that allows for power 5 schools to schedule mid major and small conference schools that can help build up SOS for non power 5 schools, without heavily penalizing the power 5 schools. Maybe require each power 5 school to schedule no less than 2 mid majors and 2 smaller conference teams for OOC play. That would still allow them to schedule another 10 to 12 OOC games among the power 5 conferences.

Speaking of OOC games, I am excited for the Big Sky and Summit series over the next few years. Does that begin in 18/19 or 19/20 ?

Back