• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ranking the FCS Recruiting classes

EWURanger29 said:
Totally agree with you. Vernon Adams was a no-Star recruit coming out of High School. So was Cooper Kupp. Matt Nichols played at a really small program and barely got any recruiting attention. Same is true of JC Sherritt and Greg Peach. I'm sure Montana has tons of examples of the same.

I think the whole "Star" system is a best guess at a kid's raw potential, but as we all know, it probably doesn't totally account for football IQ, work ethic, and how a player will develop over time. On paper, Eastern has maybe the best class in the history of the program...but I don't put too much stock into how many 3 or 2 Star players were signed. I don't think Baldwin does, either. More likely these kids show up to fall camp and learn very quickly that the coaches don't care who RIvals or Scout say they are.
Mariani
Anderson
Hilliard
Harris
Carpenter
Tripp
Coyle
Kanogata'a
Schillinger

I don't think ANY of those guys had a single star amongst them....in fact a couple were walkons, and all went on to the NFL or CFL. I think the "how a player will develop" is hugely underrated.

VimSince03 said:
My rankings

Big Sky recruiting class rankings:

1) Montana - quality and quantity; added in transfers for much needed depth at each spot; so many playmakers on offense; the Griz definitely got better

2) EWU - added more offensive firepower at every level; I still just don't know what their plan is on defense

3) UC-Davis - came out of nowhere with a great class; their QB recruit was big time along with a 3-star receiver and defensive end along with several other two-star recruits on each side of the ball; good for the Aggies

4) NAU - added a lot of offensive talent and a whole lot of secondary players; very good spread out class

5) MSU - the quality of the out-of-state kids (8/9 were star rated), especially the transfers, helped this ranking along with the Montana kids; the Cats still have scholarships left so this class isn't done yet

6) PSU - plenty of talent on the offensive side led by a three-star offensive line recruit and QB; Barnum has changed that program

7) Cal Poly - added a lot of talent on the defensive side which they needed

8) UND - beefed up offensive line and receiving corps; I guess I'm just not as high on this class on their defensive recruits

9) UNC - Class was highlighted by three 3-star recruits on offense...that was about it

10) Sac State - definitely got some difference makers on both sides of the ball; got bigger on the lines

11) Weber State - got some really high quality defensive recruits, especially on the defensive line

12) Southern Utah - loaded up on defensive side of the ball but not a lot of star rankings; I don't know I just didn't see this class as being great, especially after winning the conference

13) Idaho State - I don't know I just didn't see a ton of quality here; got a few stud defensive players

I'm just curious -what do you base your analysis on if it's not stars and ratings sites.
I'm not being critical, just curious.

The work you put into this is amazing and much appreciated, BTW :thumb:

behappp said:
VimSince03 said:
My rankings

Big Sky recruiting class rankings:

1) Montana - quality and quantity; added in transfers for much needed depth at each spot; so many playmakers on offense; the Griz definitely got better

2) EWU - added more offensive firepower at every level; I still just don't know what their plan is on defense

3) UC-Davis - came out of nowhere with a great class; their QB recruit was big time along with a 3-star receiver and defensive end along with several other two-star recruits on each side of the ball; good for the Aggies

4) NAU - added a lot of offensive talent and a whole lot of secondary players; very good spread out class

5) MSU - the quality of the out-of-state kids (8/9 were star rated), especially the transfers, helped this ranking along with the Montana kids; the Cats still have scholarships left so this class isn't done yet

6) PSU - plenty of talent on the offensive side led by a three-star offensive line recruit and QB; Barnum has changed that program

7) Cal Poly - added a lot of talent on the defensive side which they needed

8) UND - beefed up offensive line and receiving corps; I guess I'm just not as high on this class on their defensive recruits

9) UNC - Class was highlighted by three 3-star recruits on offense...that was about it

10) Sac State - definitely got some difference makers on both sides of the ball; got bigger on the lines

11) Weber State - got some really high quality defensive recruits, especially on the defensive line

12) Southern Utah - loaded up on defensive side of the ball but not a lot of star rankings; I don't know I just didn't see this class as being great, especially after winning the conference

13) Idaho State - I don't know I just didn't see a ton of quality here; got a few stud defensive players

I'm just curious -what do you base your analysis on if it's not stars and ratings sites.
I'm not being critical, just curious.

The work you put into this is amazing and much appreciated, BTW :thumb:

Watch the tape of the recruit, know the conference the player plays in for competition level in high school, watch tape of another kid on the same team to see if the recruit takes any plays off (so you are watching non-highlight tape), look at the needs of the school he committed to, take the star rating into consideration, and go with your gut! Overall, it all matters what the young men do with their opportunity because that is all signing day is...an opportunity.

Vimsince03 makes a good point about signing day being just an opportunity. The older I get the less I jump at and drool over stats that show player's and team's records indicating all the bloohaa each makes. It tends to make some shine and others remain dull without such stat. indicators.

I tend to rant over all of our recruits but when reality sinks in I know many of these kids won't make it for one reason or another. What they do get is a great chance and another opportunity to better themselves and that is all part of my Griz recruit rant! Good luck recruits, work hard and good things will be ahead!

Umista said:
I tend to rant over all of our recruits but when reality sinks in I know many of these kids won't make it for one reason or another.

Just be careful and don't actually LIST those reasons or 75 will be all over your ass. :lol: :lol:

I am cautiously optimistic that Coaches Stitt, Green and staff recruited a great class. Obviously as with any class, some of the studs will be duds and some of the walk-ons will become all-time Griz greats, such as former walk-ons Tim Hauck, Marc Mariani, and Colt Anderson.

What most impresses me is the impact of the nationally televised game against The Bison in August. While kids within our normal recruiting area of the Pacific NW, California, and Arizona were impressed by the Griz team and the atmosphere on ESPN, such as Gavin Crow, our new safety from Kennewick, WA, kids from way out of our normal recruiting zone were also impressed, which is how we wound up with a QB from Kentucky/Tenn., (Reese Phillips), an Iowa WR that played and started for The Nebraska Cornhuskers in Lane Hovey, a big high-school O lineman from Virginia in Conlan Beaver ( Pretty sure he doesn't get too teased too much lately about his name, now that he is 6-5, 240 !), and even taller O lineman and WR from Oklahoma in Brandon Scott, 6-7, 330 and Samuel Akem, 6-4, 180, respectively.

I think former Griz mentor Joe Glenn stated that no head college football coach ever had a bad recruiting class on signing day, so in 2-3 years, we will know how good this class is, but we will find out about Phillips, Hovey and our other transfers, such as our big, new NT Brandt Davidson, 6-2, 285, this fall.

And congrats, Vim, on the Bobcat recruiting class, especially the 10 Montana kids, some such as Balue, Chapman, and Hadley that we swung on and missed. Two observations:

1. With the addition of Devin Maua from Billings to our class, while I still think MSU had the bigger, better class in-state, it's not so one-sided now: 10 young Montanans for MSU, 6 for us. Overall, I do think we had the not only bigger class, but the better class ... time will tell.

2. Next year, Coaches Stitt, Green and staff will be better equipped financially to compete against your new HC Jeff Choate, as we will have our 4 scholarships returned to us and the playing field from a scholarship perspective will be leveled !!!

billingsgriz said:
I am cautiously optimistic that Coaches Stitt, Green and staff recruited a great class. Obviously as with any class, some of the studs will be duds and some of the walk-ons will become all-time Griz greats, such as former walk-ons Tim Hauck, Marc Mariani, and Colt Anderson.

What most impresses me is the impact of the nationally televised game against The Bison in August. While kids within our normal recruiting area of the Pacific NW, California, and Arizona were impressed by the Griz team and the atmosphere on ESPN, such as Gavin Crow, our new safety from Kennewick, WA, kids from way out of our normal recruiting zone were also impressed, which is how we wound up with a QB from Kentucky/Tenn., (Reese Phillips), an Iowa WR that played and started for The Nebraska Cornhuskers in Lane Hovey, a big high-school O lineman from Virginia in Conlan Beaver ( Pretty sure he doesn't get too teased too much lately about his name, now that he is 6-5, 340 !), and even taller O lineman and WR from Oklahoma in Brandon Scott, 6-7, 330 and Samuel Akem, 6-4, 180, respectively.

I think former Griz mentor Joe Glenn stated that no head college football coach ever had a bad recruiting class on signing day, so in 2-3 years, we will know how good this class is, but we will find out about Phillips, Hovey and our other transfers, such as our big, new NT Brandt Davidson, 6-2, 285, this fall.

And congrats, Vim, on the Bobcat recruiting class, especially the 10 Montana kids, some such as Balue, Chapman, and Hadley that we swung on and missed. Two observations:

1. With the addition of Devin Maua from Billings to our class, while I still think MSU had the bigger, better class in-state, it's not so one-sided now: 10 young Montanans for MSU, 6 for us. Overall, I do think we had the not only bigger class, but the better class ... time will tell.

2. Next year, Coaches Stitt, Green and staff will be better equipped financially to compete against your new HC Jeff Choate, as we will have our 4 scholarships returned to us and the playing field from a scholarship perspective will be leveled !!!

Beaver is listed as 250...but I see him growing into a good left tackle down the road. Who am I? The weight police?! :coffee:

billingsgriz said:

What most impresses me is the impact of the nationally televised game against The Bison in August. While kids within our normal recruiting area of the Pacific NW, California, and Arizona were impressed by the Griz team and the atmosphere on ESPN, such as Gavin Crow, our new safety from Kennewick, WA, kids from way out of our normal recruiting zone were also impressed, which is how we wound up with a QB from Kentucky/Tenn., (Reese Phillips), an Iowa WR that played and started for The Nebraska Cornhuskers in Lane Hovey, a big high-school O lineman from Virginia in Conlan Beaver ( Pretty sure he doesn't get too teased too much lately about his name, now that he is 6-5, 340 !), and even taller O lineman and WR from Oklahoma in Brandon Scott, 6-7, 330 and Samuel Akem, 6-4, 180, respectively.

I'm hoping the coaches decide to recruit internally and use those 4 scholarships on some of the guys in the '15 and '16 classes that are really putting in the time and effort in the weight room and on the field. Sounds like we got a lot of recuits on partials, if there are 8 that are on half schollies, those extra 4 would bring all of them to full status. Might keep some of the stars around and prevent them from pulling a Prukop.

I need to wear my glasses, Vim, and, for the purposes of full disclosure, I adjusted Conlan's weight down to what Payton has listed--240 pounds. I am pretty sure that he will redshirt so that he can eat and lift his way up to hopefully 290-300+ by the time he's a junior. If he indeed weighed 340, that would be too much of a good thing--probably couldn't move real well !!!

And Brewskis, at least some of that money I am confident will be used to upgrade kids on partials and award some scholarship money to hard working walk-ons, successful both in the classroom and on the field.

And Brewski, you made a good point about losing a Vernon Adams or a Dakota Prukop.

The bad news: I am pretty sure that will happen to us at some point in the future, given the talent that Coaches Green and Stitt are bringing in--maybe a young, incoming QB like Gretsch Jensen, as a hypothetical.

But at least partially, if not completely offsetting that--we get a WR like Ben Roberts, Lane Hovey, and hopefully, a huge run-stuffing DT like Pedro Sibiea.

The knife of graduate transfers will cut both ways not only in the future, but also right now for us and our peers in The Big Sky !!! The great news for the overwhelming majority of these kids: they are good to great students to academically earn the right to transfer !!! Thus, I don't begrudge them of the right to do so--transfer.

Update:

Dylan will be reporting significantly early to work out with the starters, get acclimated to Missoula and organize upcoming academic year. His focus is to be in shape to compete. Should be an exciting spring camp. Get ready Griz Nation, gonna see something special!

Coach Stitt said last year that it was important to win the state recruiting. Did he do that this year? And I am a guy who loves him as a coach.

Latest posts

Back