• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Recap from Kaimin...hard to argue any of it

MTGRZ said:
PlayerRep said:
MTGRZ said:
PlayerRep said:
Why do you believe that to be the case?

The University would take a large step back in the public relations department. And that is HUGE in the rebuilding/rebranding of UM. Like it or not, many people around the state feel UM is/was unsafe. This was in large part due to perceived/real atmosphere of lawlessness created around Bobby's football team. Unfair to lump the entire UM athletic department in with those bad apples, but people saw it as a stain on UM. A stain that was in part due to Bobby's guys. In short, just poor PR.

Hauck was at UM for 7 years? What lawlessness? The house burglary. What else? No sexual assault allegations. Either you or people in MT are just making this up. It isn't supported by the facts.

No sexual assault allegations? Who do you think recruited the athletes who brought a slew of sexual assault and rape allegations/convictions? Do you remember Beau Donaldson? Jordan Johnson? The four players who were accused of a 2010 gang rape? What about Tru's assault? Jason Washington? Gerald Kemp?Jimmy Wilson ended up being justified, but still not a good look.

Like I have said many times before, I do not like widespread bashing of the players/football team/athletic department/University, but come on....We did have some issues. It is beyond time to own up to them. Once we do that, we can move on.

There were no sexual assault allegations in the press during Hauck's time in Missoula. Don't think Hauck recruited JJ. Pflu did. He was acquitted in court, and allowed to stay in school and play. How can that be held against any coach. Yes, Hauck recruited Donaldson. Most of the players involved the BS gang rape situation were not recruited by Hauck. None of them were charged. Every player who bothered to get a lawyer was allowed to continue at UM and graduate. Tru didn't assault anyone. He got in a fight. No charges brought. College kids get in fights. Jason Washington what. He had his medical marijuana thing years after he had been done playing football. Kemp pled nolo to a disorderly conduct charge, i.e. loud party. What's the big deal? The cops were at fault on that one. Lucky they didn't sued. Yes, Wilson acquitted, allowed to come back to UM, and played in NFL.

The problem is some people like you believing false allegations and other things blown out of proportion. As I have said all along, the problem was Gwen Floria and the Missoulian, not Griz football.

So, come on to you, UM actually didn't have a bunch of substantive issues. Mainly a bunch of false allegations, and related bad press. In any event, Hauck, minus the burglary, actually didn't have a bunch of serious stuff. He was a huge disciplinarian.

If Stitt were to leave after this year, and I am not indicating in any way that he will or should, I actually think that Hauck would have a good chance of being hired. The rumors are that he is interested. When Stitt was hired, my recollection is that about a half dozen of the top 8 or so financial supporters/boosters supported Bobby. One that apparently didn't is friendly to Bobby. Many other Griz supporters with some clout like Bobby. I think huge pressure would be put on Haslam to hire Bobby, and if he was resisting, I think some of these guys would call for Haslam's head. And, of course, RE is gone. I am hoping the team and Stitt find a way to get to a good season this year, so that this is moot.

Honestly that house burglary was a two sided issue, I don't want to bash the guy that got robbed because he passed away a few years ago in a late night car accident but he was not exactly a model citizen. Dealing drugs out of his house and used to flaunt his money all over campus, I had a class with him actually was working on a group project with him when this event happened. There was way more to this story than actually came out, thats all i'm going to say. That said, I wouldn't say Bobby's track record is any different than any other college football coach, kids are going to do stupid shit thats just part of going to college. Bobby definitely punished players for missteps no question about that.

PlayerRep said:
MTGRZ said:
PlayerRep said:
MTGRZ said:
The University would take a large step back in the public relations department. And that is HUGE in the rebuilding/rebranding of UM. Like it or not, many people around the state feel UM is/was unsafe. This was in large part due to perceived/real atmosphere of lawlessness created around Bobby's football team. Unfair to lump the entire UM athletic department in with those bad apples, but people saw it as a stain on UM. A stain that was in part due to Bobby's guys. In short, just poor PR.

Hauck was at UM for 7 years? What lawlessness? The house burglary. What else? No sexual assault allegations. Either you or people in MT are just making this up. It isn't supported by the facts.

No sexual assault allegations? Who do you think recruited the athletes who brought a slew of sexual assault and rape allegations/convictions? Do you remember Beau Donaldson? Jordan Johnson? The four players who were accused of a 2010 gang rape? What about Tru's assault? Jason Washington? Gerald Kemp?Jimmy Wilson ended up being justified, but still not a good look.

Like I have said many times before, I do not like widespread bashing of the players/football team/athletic department/University, but come on....We did have some issues. It is beyond time to own up to them. Once we do that, we can move on.

There were no sexual assault allegations in the press during Hauck's time in Missoula. Don't think Hauck recruited JJ. Pflu did. He was acquitted in court, and allowed to stay in school and play. How can that be held against any coach. Yes, Hauck recruited Donaldson. Most of the players involved the BS gang rape situation were not recruited by Hauck. None of them were charged. Every player who bothered to get a lawyer was allowed to continue at UM and graduate. Tru didn't assault anyone. He got in a fight. No charges brought. College kids get in fights. Jason Washington what. He had his medical marijuana thing years after he had been done playing football. Kemp pled nolo to a disorderly conduct charge, i.e. loud party. What's the big deal? The cops were at fault on that one. Lucky they didn't sued. Yes, Wilson acquitted, allowed to come back to UM, and played in NFL.

The problem is some people like you believing false allegations and other things blown out of proportion. As I have said all along, the problem was Gwen Floria and the Missoulian, not Griz football.

So, come on to you, UM actually didn't have a bunch of substantive issues. Mainly a bunch of false allegations, and related bad press. In any event, Hauck, minus the burglary, actually didn't have a bunch of serious stuff. He was a huge disciplinarian.

Two things.
1. Jordan Johnson was recruited under Bobby. He played in 2010, the year after Bobby left.

2. To the greater point of my original post: There was a lot of bad publicity during, and especially immediately after Hauck left. A lot of people not interested in Griz athletics saw this and assumed the program was full of "thugs." Many of those people still do not believe the program, or the University for that matter, have really cleaned up their image. That is the fault of those people, not UM or the team. I believe the team has done a good job moving forward by hiring and recruiting high character people. People that bash the team haven't done their homework to see how great these student athletes are.

Unfortunately there are A LOT of people around the state, but especially in Missoula, that still view Griz football as an unnecessary, and hurtful piece of UM. I believe the Missoulian, Gwen, AND a very FEW unsavory student athletes have led to this feeling (right or wrong).

I understand only Donaldson was charged and served time. I understand there is much discrepancy between allegations and facts surrounding the many instances mentioned above. I also believe a lot of people don't care and assume they are all guilty. I also believe Gwen and the Missoulian did not do a good job covering the team, and led much of the public to believe the team is wild and uncontrollable.

In essence, I think the University of Montana and Griz football suffer from poor public relations. I think it is a HUGE factor for lower enrollment, and I believe it is one of the biggest hurdles left before the University gets back on the right path. MY initial feeling stated above is that hiring Bobby Hauck will only add fuel to the fire stoked by people with anti-Griz agendas.

MTGRZ said:
fanofzoo said:
MTGRZ said:
PlayerRep said:

If betsy (doesn't deserve a capital) was in charge back then we wouldn't have had that pr problem. :roll: :mrgreen:

I guess I'm not sure who (B)betsy is....?

SEC of Education, changing the rules of assault on campuses.

I dont think Stitt has proven he cant reach our expectations yet. I think our line of trajectory may still have a positive slope. However, for conversation sake maybe we could hire Bobby for HC and Robin Pflugrad for OC :eek:

PlayerRep said:
MTGRZ said:
PlayerRep said:
MTGRZ said:
Stop it with the "Bobby" talk....He aint coming through the doors of the Adams Center any time soon.

Weren't Lex and at least one another player charged with domestic assault during the BH years.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

grizfnz said:
PlayerRep said:
MTGRZ said:
PlayerRep said:

Weren't Lex and at least one another player charged with domestic assault during the BH years.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yes, Lex was cited with a misdemeanor. I think the charge was dropped. This happens very often, because the cops are required to believe the complainant, and often don't he talk to the guy. He married the woman, I believe, and they have a bunch of kids. He was recruited by Glenn not Hauck. So there. Ha. And, everyone loves Lex.

cmtgrizzly said:
I dont think Stitt has proven he cant reach our expectations yet. I think our line of trajectory may still have a positive slope. However, for conversation sake maybe we could hire Bobby for HC and Robin Pflugrad for OC :eek:

I am not trying to attack you so please don't take offense.

Serious question for you and others that feel he deserves more time. How long do you think he should get? Is there a threshold of number of losses, number of years without a BSC championship, number of losses to EWU, MSU and soon to be Idaho? What would be your trigger to make a change? I am trying to understand what other peoples expectations are for UM football.

PlayerRep said:
MTGRZ said:
PlayerRep said:
MTGRZ said:

Unfortunately its going to be about perception not reality. As you said elsewhere, its all moot if the Griz do as well this season, as I believe they are capable of.

MTGRZ said:
PlayerRep said:
MTGRZ said:
PlayerRep said:

Two things.
1. Jordan Johnson was recruited under Bobby. He played in 2010, the year after Bobby left.

2. To the greater point of my original post: There was a lot of bad publicity during, and especially immediately after Hauck left. A lot of people not interested in Griz athletics saw this and assumed the program was full of "thugs." Many of those people still do not believe the program, or the University for that matter, have really cleaned up their image. That is the fault of those people, not UM or the team. I believe the team has done a good job moving forward by hiring and recruiting high character people. People that bash the team haven't done their homework to see how great these student athletes are.

Unfortunately there are A LOT of people around the state, but especially in Missoula, that still view Griz football as an unnecessary, and hurtful piece of UM. I believe the Missoulian, Gwen, AND a very FEW unsavory student athletes have led to this feeling (right or wrong).

I understand only Donaldson was charged and served time. I understand there is much discrepancy between allegations and facts surrounding the many instances mentioned above. I also believe a lot of people don't care and assume they are all guilty. I also believe Gwen and the Missoulian did not do a good job covering the team, and led much of the public to believe the team is wild and uncontrollable.

In essence, I think the University of Montana and Griz football suffer from poor public relations. I think it is a HUGE factor for lower enrollment, and I believe it is one of the biggest hurdles left before the University gets back on the right path. MY initial feeling stated above is that hiring Bobby Hauck will only add fuel to the fire stoked by people with anti-Griz agendas.
I let you figure out what's wrong with #1 but more importantly is JJ was found innocent.

RobGriz said:
MTGRZ said:
PlayerRep said:
MTGRZ said:

Two things.

I let you figure out what's wrong with #1 but more importantly is JJ was found innocent.

I believe JJ played in 2010 and that was his true freshman year....making him a Pflu recruit. I distinctly remember being pissed they pulled his redshirt for such minimal playing time...only to be glad later when he HAD that RS year remaining to use during all the court crap.

AZGrizFan said:
RobGriz said:
MTGRZ said:
PlayerRep said:

Two things.

I believe JJ played in 2010 and that was his true freshman year....making him a Pflu recruit. I distinctly remember being pissed they pulled his redshirt for such minimal playing time...only to be glad later when he HAD that RS year remaining to use during all the court crap.
Nailed it. I was also pissed and then thankful.

grizd said:
cmtgrizzly said:

I am not trying to attack you so please don't take offense.

Serious question for you and others that feel he deserves more time. How long do you think he should get? Is there a threshold of number of losses, number of years without a BSC championship, number of losses to EWU, MSU and soon to be Idaho? What would be your trigger to make a change? I am trying to understand what other peoples expectations are for UM football.

No offense taken. I understand completely and I, in the privacy of my home have thrown fits about how we have performed at times. Then I remember I am not a player or a coach on the team and truthfully don't consider myself an athlete anymore. As much as I care the players and coaches have more invested and certainly care more than I do and are throwing more fits of frustration than I am. They want to win and I hope they do.

As far as hard target results that I think would warrant firing-

1. The slope of our trajectory line turns negative meaning we lose consistently to teams we shouldnt. Or it is flat for too long which if you said we are at that persistent flatline I would have a hard time finding objective evidence to refute you. I just think we are improvng and though I am not convinced EWU is ready to win multiple playoff games they still were considered better than us and we pushed them pretty till the end.

2. If he gets blown out by MSU this year I think he has to go. A close loss than probably not. However MSU line of trajectory has risen noticeably above ours in the past two weeks. We will know more about them before we play them. They have three young players in particluar that may keep them relevant for the next 3-4 years. Andersen, McCutcheon and Murray. That offensive backbone has potential.

3. People voting with their feet/wallet. Right or wrong if enough people feel he is failing and revenue drops significantly he will have to go.

4. Next year no flat line in trajectory. Program has to show significant consistent improvement compared to this year. If it starts out showing no improvement I wouldnt blame Haslam for announcing Stitts firing relatively early in the season effective at the end of the season. Done so a search can be started ASAP.

Overall I think the damage done to the program was far more than people realize not to mention most programs have cycles of success/failure anyway. Ours has been more challenging this time due to well publicized events. We will get out. I am not totally convinced Stitt isnt the guy to complete the come back. I do have some doubts and dont blame you if you have more doubt than me. I just want the program to be successful and back in top and try to support whoever is trying to do that. I also think coaching changes can set things back a few years especially when they come one after the other.

RobGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
RobGriz said:
MTGRZ said:
Two things.

Nailed it. I was also pissed and then thankful.

That and Pflu hand-picked JJ to run his offense at UM as he has known him most his life and was good friends with the family

HookedonGriz said:
That and Pflu hand-picked JJ to run his offense at UM as he has known him most his life and was good friends with the family

yeah, he might have known a thing or two about his character...

RobGriz said:
MTGRZ said:
PlayerRep said:
MTGRZ said:

Two things.

My bad on #1.
Still feel the University has a large image problem, even with JJ found innocent. Unfortunately perception often matters more than reality in these situations. There are still the numerous other incidents (guilty or not) that negatively influence people's perception of the Football team and University. Until the perception of UM is changed, Hauck or Pflu won't be seriously considered for head coach.

MTGRZ said:
RobGriz said:
MTGRZ said:
PlayerRep said:

Two things.

My bad on #1.
Still feel the University has a large image problem, even with JJ found innocent. Unfortunately perception often matters more than reality in these situations. There are still the numerous other incidents (guilty or not) that negatively influence people's perception of the Football team and University. Until the perception of UM is changed, Hauck or Pflu won't be seriously considered for head coach.

Thanks for your input Gwen.

It is shocking to me how Semore calls games...its like instead of planning to take things away...he thinks to himself.."No way the offense calls that play again for the 5th time, they have to think were changing but really I'm not"...and than they do the play 10 more times and have success every time.

Like the article said...that kid killed us just on screens and bs short passes......we refused to walk a corner up and check him.....after the 100th yard any sane DC says ok, F this guy hes not killing us anymore.

RobGriz said:
blegriz said:
Stitt will get this thing figured out

Good Gravy, I hope that was a joke. What has he done in 2 & 1/3rd years that would make you believe he could figure this out???

How many coaches have beaten NDSU in the last decade? Not many but Stitt has.

Back