• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Recap from Kaimin...hard to argue any of it

PlayerRep said:
My view is that the bad press and perceptions about the football allegations/incidents, and Krak's book, had only minor impacts on enrollment. Other factors were much more important. Someone told me that the number/percentage of frosh men enrolling declined at a higher rate than women. UM failed to recognize the extent the problem and trends, was slow to take corrective action, and then didn't do a good job initially with the corrective action. UM was also perceived as not having a good leader, and that perception was correct. The budget cuts and declining number of classes offered have also impacted enrollment.

My view is that blaming enrollment decline on bad press about athletic things from years ago, is more of a narrative than based on reality. Which is not to say that UM didn't get alot of bad press for several years.

As for the people in the State who still have this perception, or who don't like football, is there a reason to care about them or what they think?

I do agree with much of what you say. I do think image and PR was/is a reason enrollment dropped. Obviously that's not the only reason.

A reason to care about what they think: They are more likely to send their children to msu. Of course it is probably more complicated and nuanced than that. However, many of us have said in the past how a successful athletic department can help drive enrollment. A successful athletic department does NOT have a PR issue, especially when it comes to how the student athletes interact with their community (assaults, arrests etc.). I don't mean to drudge up the past just to throw mud at the players or team, but I think it is important to recognize those mistakes made and learn from them. My point is that much of the state that were not already Griz fans may be turned off from UM because of what they read and hear, and will have no problem sending their kids to state. Just my opinion.

Do parents in Montana really send their kids to one school or another these days? My 5 kids went where they wanted to go. My wife and I had almost no influence over where they went. Lots of our 2 younger kids' friends went and go to MSU. I never heard any of them ever say anything about being concerned about the bad press, athlete incidents, sexual assault, Krak's book, etc. or cite those things as a reason.

And MtGriz, I am not necessarily disagreeing with your statements either, by the way.

blegriz said:
Stitt will get this thing figured out

He didn’t in fifteen years at School of Mines, does he have a different plan in the remaining seven games.

PlayerRep said:
MTGRZ said:
PlayerRep said:
MTGRZ said:
The University would take a large step back in the public relations department. And that is HUGE in the rebuilding/rebranding of UM. Like it or not, many people around the state feel UM is/was unsafe. This was in large part due to perceived/real atmosphere of lawlessness created around Bobby's football team. Unfair to lump the entire UM athletic department in with those bad apples, but people saw it as a stain on UM. A stain that was in part due to Bobby's guys. In short, just poor PR.

Hauck was at UM for 7 years? What lawlessness? The house burglary. What else? No sexual assault allegations. Either you or people in MT are just making this up. It isn't supported by the facts.

No sexual assault allegations? Who do you think recruited the athletes who brought a slew of sexual assault and rape allegations/convictions? Do you remember Beau Donaldson? Jordan Johnson? The four players who were accused of a 2010 gang rape? What about Tru's assault? Jason Washington? Gerald Kemp?Jimmy Wilson ended up being justified, but still not a good look.

Like I have said many times before, I do not like widespread bashing of the players/football team/athletic department/University, but come on....We did have some issues. It is beyond time to own up to them. Once we do that, we can move on.

There were no sexual assault allegations in the press during Hauck's time in Missoula. Don't think Hauck recruited JJ. Pflu did. He was acquitted in court, and allowed to stay in school and play. How can that be held against any coach. Yes, Hauck recruited Donaldson. Most of the players involved the BS gang rape situation were not recruited by Hauck. None of them were charged. Every player who bothered to get a lawyer was allowed to continue at UM and graduate. Tru didn't assault anyone. He got in a fight. No charges brought. College kids get in fights. Jason Washington what. He had his medical marijuana thing years after he had been done playing football. Kemp pled nolo to a disorderly conduct charge, i.e. loud party. What's the big deal? The cops were at fault on that one. Lucky they didn't sued. Yes, Wilson acquitted, allowed to come back to UM, and played in NFL.

The problem is some people like you believing false allegations and other things blown out of proportion. As I have said all along, the problem was Gwen Floria and the Missoulian, not Griz football.

So, come on to you, UM actually didn't have a bunch of substantive issues. Mainly a bunch of false allegations, and related bad press. In any event, Hauck, minus the burglary, actually didn't have a bunch of serious stuff. He was a huge disciplinarian.

The Donaldson assault more than Likely would have occurred if he played football for the UM or. not. Both victim and Donaldson childhood friends and neighbors.

Take alcohol and drugs out of the occasion and it wouldn’t happen.

PlayerRep said:
Do parents in Montana really send their kids to one school or another these days? My 5 kids went where they wanted to go. My wife and I had almost no influence over where they went. Lots of our 2 younger kids' friends went and go to MSU. I never heard any of them ever say anything about being concerned about the bad press, athlete incidents, sexual assault, Krak's book, etc. or cite those things as a reason.

And MtGriz, I am not necessarily disagreeing with your statements either, by the way.

PR - I think it's a mixed bag on this...many kids WILL be influenced by their parents on school selection - think legacy attendees and cost variables. Other kids will go to a school that has their preferred degree - this is particularly evident in Montana. msu has engineering and UM does not. That degree matters right now. It may be cyclical, but STEM is a MAJOR emphasis in our public and private school systems across the nation.

I agree wholeheartedly that Montana kids are not making decisions based on the bad press. They are making the decision based on career aspirations and a really, really, poor marketing and out reach campaign by UM.

Back