• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Returning to an elite FCS program

AllWeatherFan said:
MiningCityGrizFan said:
We've all got friends that know someone who knows someone...

I was told that Engstrom's initial desire was to kill the football program completely -- a self imposed death sentence...

That's just laughable. Seriously, 6th-grade rumor-mongering. But it was entertaining - I LOLed.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this, AWF. I have heard that Engstrom has been linked to the disappearance of the Lindbergh baby and was present on the grassy knoll during the assassination of President Kennedy. Oh, and he's planning on handing out apples with razor blades in them to trick-or-treating children this year!

Ursa Major said:
AllWeatherFan said:
MiningCityGrizFan said:

I was told that Engstrom's initial desire was to kill the football program completely -- a self imposed death sentence...

That's just laughable. Seriously, 6th-grade rumor-mongering. But it was entertaining - I LOLed.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this, AWF. I have heard that Engstrom has been linked to the disappearance of the Lindbergh baby and was present on the grassy knoll during the assassination of President Kennedy. Oh, and he's planning on handing out apples with razor blades in them to trick-or-treating children this year!

Dull razors?

AllWeatherFan said:
Ursa Major said:
AllWeatherFan said:
MiningCityGrizFan said:

Dull razors?

NO! Motherfucker!!!

AllWeatherFan said:
Ursa Major said:
AllWeatherFan said:
MiningCityGrizFan said:

Dull razors?

That explains why he was at the free razor give away. :thumb:

mtgrizrule said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Ursa Major said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Dull razors?

That explains why he was at the free razor give away. :thumb:

Regardless, RE is an idiot and needs to go......

Thanks for reading. Please see my comments in red below.

PlayerRep said:
Your starting premise is wrong. Montana is clearly an elite program, one of the most elite. Not top dog anymore, but certainly elite.

Your point about everything being in the past, in terms of records, etc., is true for every program in the country. In the case of UM, UM was in the semifinals in 2011, so 3 years ago. A playoff seed and 10-3 record last year. Feel free to list the number of teams that have been in the semifinals in the past 3 years and a playoff seed last year, or any year in that 3-year period. There aren't many besides NDSU, EWU and UM.

MiningCityGrizFan said:
Again, you're focusing on the past as if that has some relevance to the present problems facing the Griz program.

By the way, speaking technically as if UM didn't win what it did in '11, is just plain dumb, in terms of anlayzing where the program is. I repeat. Just plain dumb.

MiningCityGrizFan said:
I didn't speak as if the Griz didn't win in 2011. Using the magic of copy and paste -- here is my exact quote:

"The Griz have not won a playoff game since 2011 and the NCAA says that no longer counts. So technically the last playoff game the Griz won was against App. State in 2009."

The point is that the program's biggest accomplishment since 2009 were wiped off the books by the NCAA. If you think that your opinion about this some how changes those facts, then woopty f****n doo.

I don't disagree with you on Engstrom's leadership, or lack thereof.

You are wrong on the coaches. Most of the coaches are young, and haven't yet had enough experience to move up the ladder. They are not career long postion coaches. Gregorak is a strong defensive coordinator and getting better every year. I don't know enough about offense to evaluate the offensive coordinators (nor do you). I hear good things about Hynson. I think Gregorak has a decent chance of being the next UM head coach. By the way, UM didn't have a problem bringing in a DC, when Gregorak was hired. I talked to Pflu today, by the way.

If you don't think Gregorak is doing a good job with the defense this year, you don't know much about defense. CC scored 3 of its TD's in 6 minutes. If you think that was a break down in the scheme, you are nuts. The scheme held up fine the rest of the game.

MiningCityGrizFan said:
Hmmm...Well I look at it this way. Gregorak's defense gave up 35 points in the first half to a team that never played west of the Mississippi River, at this altitude, or in conditions that cold. Despite all of that CC went into the locker room at half time with a 21 point lead (35-14). In the second half they came out and played ball control offense, to basically work the clock, keep our offense off the field, and secure the game.

If you want to make the argument that this some how proves that the defensive schemes employed by Gregorak held up in the CC game, well then I think perhaps it is you that doesn't know much about offense or defense.

Using your logic, one could argue that the captain of the Titanic did a fine job navigating because he avoided most of the icebergs during their journey... I think it's just as ridiculous to claim that except for the six touchdowns, the defensive scheme in the CC game held up.

Yes, the coordinators would be in good and similar positions at other schools, is my view. I don't agree with your statement.

UM doesn't have a talent gap on coaching. The staff is good. Some of the young guys are complete up and comers. Yes, Delaney is older, and yes some think the co-O coordinators isn't a good idea.

Most programs look to hiring coaches with a connection to the school or the region. Lots of schools hire from within. Jeez, look at what the famous NDSU last year.

MiningCityGrizFan said:
I realize you were trying super hard by this point in your reply to be arrogant, so I'll forgive you for being so incredibly ignorant. Instead I'll simply remind you I stated the following,

"The last Griz coach that took the helm with no prior Griz connection was Don Read. That turned out okay. Dennehy, Glenn, and Hauck all did very well too and moved on to bigger schools.

So it’s a formula/philosophy that worked. In fact it was working. I think the program was right back in the elite category with Pflugrad in 2011, but Engstrom destroyed the elite status of the program and corrupted the formula."

You may want to ask Tripp and Coyle what Gregorak did for them. Assume you don't know them, though.

MiningCityGrizFan said:
No I don't know them. Do you know the guy that delivered my pizza last night? No? Well it really doesn't matter because who we know is completely irrelevant to the opinions we're posting on eGriz.

Thanks though for once again reminding us that you are in fact -- that guy...

The guy so out of touch with reality that he claims to represent all past, present, and future Griz players.

The guy that believes speaking with someone from the program automatically gives him the authority to declare which opinions are right and wrong. How does that work exactly? Osmosis?

Either way, it's cute. It really is.

Your inferiority complex though. That's just sad. It's so massive that you have to associate your own opinion with people connected to the program in order to feel comfortable sharing them.

I'm sure Coyle and Tripp appreciate what Gregorak did for them as linebackers. Being that Gregorak spent most of his career as a linbebackers coach, that kind of makes sense. I mean after playing LB for Colorado and then coaching linebackers for so long, I'd imagine a guy like Gregorak could help them quite a lot... WHAT DOES THIS PROVE EXACTLY?

Offensive schemes are not "elite". Jeez, what are you talking about? Are you saying that NDSU's offense isn't elite, or that NDSU isn't elite because it doesn't use the spread?

MiningCityGrizFan said:
First, let's forget that you used the word "Jeez" twice in your reply. My God man, people already make fun of you more than any other person on eGriz. Why do you help them?

Second, I most definitely assert that offensive schemes can be elite. Exhibit A -- Chip Kelly

In 2006 Chip Kelly was the offensive coordinator at New Hampshire. Seven years later he was named the head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles.

It wasn't because the guy can rock a visor like nobody's business. It's because he was an elite coach that ran and elite offense that was able to get his players to execute at an elite level. People that understand elite football recognized he was elite. That's how he became head coach at Oregon.

Kelly took a good team and made them elite, winning conference titles, the Rose Bowl, and playing for the BSC title. That's why he's now coaching in the NFL.

Regarding NDSU, the offensive schemes they employ are not on par with Chip Kelly's, but their play calling and execution is at an elite level.

So yes, offenses can be elite. Even if you don't think so...

The single biggest thing that could/will, realistically, bring UM back towards the tip top, is the announcement and building of the new weight/locker rooms (at the level currently being considered).

While you point out Engstrom's lack of leadership and the firing of Pflu (and I would include O'Day), you seemed to have overlooked the various investigations, ncaa sanctions and loss of JJ for a year, which have also contributed to what has occurred in recent years. The horrible weight/locker room facilities probably haven't helped either.

MiningCityGrizFan said:
I simply do not believe that a new weight room locker room will be the magic bullet many people seem to think it will be. That's going to help with recruiting in the future, which is what drives talent into the program. Based on the number of Griz currently on NFL rosters, I don't believe lack of talent is the problem that needs to be addressed right now.

Keep in mind, the program's greatest achievements have come with lesser facilities, fewer seats in the stadium, etc. But they all had better coaches.

I think upgrading facilities is important in order to compete with other programs' improved facilities in the future. However, it won't compensate for the current weaknesses of the program - coaching.

Good job on stating your views, and articulating. Too bad your starting assumption was wrong. Ha.

With that, I will leave you with this:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtNHuqHWefU[/youtube]

Ha.

Lol. Awesome. I can't say there are any posts more satisfying than reading one in which PR gets absolutely throttled by a poster who is grounded in reality, uses factual arguments, and easily exposes PR for the douchebag poser he is. BTW... Where is one PlayaRape these days. I'm surprised he hasn't been here to spew his usual garbage about yesterday's game

IroneagleXP said:
Lol. Awesome. I can't say there are any posts more satisfying than reading one in which PR gets absolutely throttled by a poster who is grounded in reality, uses factual arguments, and easily exposes PR for the douchebag poser he is. BTW... Where is one PlayaRape these days. I'm surprised he hasn't been here to spew his usual garbage about yesterday's game

He is probably busy multitasking. The team needs his comforting and pocket book. He is also taking his time to meticulously prepare his defense for this staff and inconsistent performance. :thumb:

mtgrizrule said:
IroneagleXP said:

He is probably busy multitasking. The team needs his comforting and pocket book. He is also taking his time to meticulously prepare his defense for this staff and inconsistent performance. :thumb:

Had to laugh. I have never witnessed a bigger homer in all of my years. Yet he never misses an opportunity to name drop the names all of the insiders he bumps dicks with.

IroneagleXP said:

I was wondering the same thing IE.....also where is his carhartt wearing paramour HAMMAHHHH been hiding...not a peep out of the little guy during the beatdown in SLO :mrgreen:

Player is a front runner, he talks a good game when things are going good but disapears like he does when he can't continue the lies he tells each week.

Latest posts

Back