• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Roster updated on GoGriz

grizindabox said:
AJ Mazzolini ‏@ajmazzolini 2m2 minutes ago
Updated Griz FB roster missing 2 key names -- rs fr S Manu Rasmussen and sr DE Addison Owen

I'm told Manu's omission a mistake, Owen's not

Alpha is reporting grade issues for Manu on Maroonblood....

go96griz said:
mtgrizrule said:
go96griz said:
Brody Martinez is a name I haven't previously seen before. He is listed as a running back out of Federal Way, WA. He apparently was lost to knee injuries in the first game of last season after leading the league in rushing the prior year. Does anybody have the scoop on him?

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1927148/brody-martinez just found his hudl profile, 4.5 speed with good size. :thumb:

Thanks to Kyle Sample for another great article with great detail on Martinez. Glad the Griz got him and I hope he has a speedy and complete recovery. His video is exciting to watch.

http://grizsports.com/persistence-pays-off-in-montanas-pursuit-of-washington-rb/

Persistence pays off in Montana’s pursuit of Washington RB

July 18, 2015

By Kyle Sample

One time in his high school career, Brody Martinez was a hot commodity.
After running for more than 1,300 yards and nine touchdowns as a junior for Todd Beamer High (Wash.), the quick-footed running back was being recruited by FBS programs Utah State and Wyoming and nearly every school in the Big Sky Conference.
Most of the attention — and the offers that came with — dried up, however, after the Federal Way product tore his ACL on the second day of 2014 fall camp ending any chance of playing during what was a much anticipated senior season.
But one program stayed in touch with the 5-foot-10, 196-pound running back and it’s a large reason why Martinez will join Montana as a walk-on when fall camp begins Aug. 3.
Martinez will join Long Beach Poly (Calif.) product Jeremy Calhoun as the only running backs in Bob Stitt’s first recruiting class as Montana’s head coach.
“That was another thing for him to say, ‘Hey, they only brought one guy in on scholarship, so here’s a chance to come in,’” Titans head coach Darren McCay told the Missoulian. “If you heal the way we think you will eventually then at some point you’re going to have a chance.”
Though Martinez is one of two incoming freshmen backs, it is a crowded backfield he will be joining at Montana.
During spring practice, John Nguyen and Lorenzo Logwood received the bulk of the workload. Behind Nguyen and Logwood, Joey Counts hopes to regain the form he showed during his freshman and sophomore seasons before a leg injury kept him off the field last season. Treshawn Favors also figures into the rotation, as does Hardin product Carl Johnson, who impressed throughout spring drills.
The logjam in the backfield could prove beneficial for Martinez, who is likely to redshirt, giving him another season to rehab his knee injuries.
“It’s going to be to take a little bit of time to get ready,” McCay said. “He’s been doing cutting and working out with bands and those types of things. His straight away speed — we haven’t timed him, but I don’t think it’s right where it was before the injury.”
Prior to tearing his ACL, McCay said Martinez “tweaked” his knee during spring as a member of the school’s track team. At the time, the extent of the injury wasn’t known.
Martinez took part in Beamer’s spring drills and was visited twice by Utah State and Wyoming. He then took part in a combine, but didn’t run as well as previously had.
“I think that made some people say woah, we thought he was faster than that,” McCay said.
After summer workouts, Beamer started fall camp and two days into drills the knee gave way.
“When he went down we thought it was just the meniscus and we thought shoot, at least if it’s the meniscus and we can get it done in 6 weeks and he’s back,” McCay said. “He fell right in front of me. He was trying to do a plant and it finally went. We got the news that we had lost him for the year.”
McCay later added, “We didn’t know the meniscus was (already) torn until they got into the surgery on the ACL. That’s what set him back. He was probably a scholarship guy, but nobody is going to give money to anybody coming off of surgery until they can prove himself again.”
McCay contends Martinez was poised for a 2,000-yard season in Beamer’s power, run-heavy offense. The Seattle Times also listed Martinez as a player to watch in the SPSL heading into the 2014 season.
“He is a downhill runner,” McCay said. “In our offense it wouldn’t have been too far fetched for him being one of the leaders if not the leader in rushing in our state because we run the ball so much.”
Martinez was close to committing to Central Washington, in what the Wildcats thought would be a coup for the Division II program, but the chance to go to Montana, which stayed in touch throughout his rehab, was too much to pass up, McCay said.
Martinez was primarily recruited by UM defensive line coach Legi Suiaunoa, who handles much of Montana’s recruiting around the I-5 coridor.

Great job Kyle. Great insight on how the GRIZ got Martinez and what Martinez is about. I hope he recovers.

CV Griz Fan said:
grizindabox said:
Updated Griz FB roster missing 2 key names -- rs fr S Manu Rasmussen and sr DE Addison Owen

I hope Alpha is wrong, but he is not one to spread bad information about players.

CV Griz Fan said:
grizindabox said:

Alpha heard Manu's omission MAY be because of academics.

From Grizsports.com:

"Rasmussen’s exclusion was accidental it turns out, merely a typo."

"Rasmussen (6-0, 180), a Tigard Senior High grad out of Oregon, played nearly all of spring at No. 1 free safety with returning starter Justin Whitted sidelined after a shoulder surgery. He’s expected to see heavy playing time in 2015."

"Rasmussen will remain No. 8 on the defensive side."

I love looking at the roster and trying to figure out who will be the next big star for the Griz.

AllWeatherFan said:
CV Griz Fan said:

Alpha? "Reporting?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Try "spreading rumors." Bloggers aren't the same as "reporters."

I laughed at the post as soon as I read Alpha and reporting mentioned together...

Griz2k said:
I love looking at the roster and trying to figure out who will be the next big star for the Griz.

I love looking at the roster and trying to figure out who is actually on the Griz. I can't imagine how appreciated the kids feel that get left off the roster so their fate can be discussed by the rumor mill. Doesn't seem that hard to quadruple check before it's published.

grizd said:
Griz2k said:

I love looking at the roster and trying to figure out who is actually on the Griz. I can't imagine how appreciated the kids feel that get left off the roster so their fate can be discussed by the rumor mill. Doesn't seem that hard to quadruple check before it's published.

Great point. Jeez, how hard can it be to get the roster correct at this point of the year? Somebody in the athletic department has to know who's on the team and who's not. Double check, proofread, ask the coaches again. Look for potential glitches. It usually takes egrizzers about a minute to spot changes, questions, and potential glitches.

I agree. It seems like these type of roster shenanigans happen every year.. I don't think it would be that difficult to make sure the roster is correct before posting it on the web. Come on now!

grizcountry420 said:
I agree. It seems like these type of roster shenanigans happen every year.. I don't think it would be that difficult to make sure the roster is correct before posting it on the web. Come on now!

Also, if they are aware of the mistake then why wouldn't they correct it right away?

PlayerRep said:
grizd said:
Griz2k said:

Great point. Jeez, how hard can it be to get the roster correct at this point of the year? Somebody in the athletic department has to know who's on the team and who's not. Double check, proofread, ask the coaches again. Look for potential glitches. It usually takes egrizzers about a minute to spot changes, questions, and potential glitches.

Where is 2015 signee Jackson McCullough???

OL, 6-6, 265, Fr., HS, San Diego, Calif. (Cathedral Catholic HS): Jackson was a two-time all-league pick as a prep offensive lineman...he earned four letters in football, and his freshman and junior teams won the CIF title...he earned letters in five sports: football, basketball, rugby, track, and wrestling...team captain in rugby team...chosen Defensive Lineman of the Year and received the Coaches' Award as a senior...his major will be sports medicine...birth date: June 6, 1997...his parents are Megan and Jim McCullough of San Diego.

IntuitiveGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
grizd said:
Griz2k said:

OL, 6-6, 265, Fr., HS, San Diego, Calif. (Cathedral Catholic HS): Jackson was a two-time all-league pick as a prep offensive lineman...he earned four letters in football, and his freshman and junior teams won the CIF title...he earned letters in five sports: football, basketball, rugby, track, and wrestling...team captain in rugby team...chosen Defensive Lineman of the Year and received the Coaches' Award as a senior...his major will be sports medicine...birth date: June 6, 1997...his parents are Megan and Jim McCullough of San Diego.

I believe that he will be a greyshirt.

PlayerRep said:
grizd said:
Griz2k said:

That could be why we are known as "the Harvard of the West"...

grizindabox said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

I believe that he will be a greyshirt.

You maybe right, I don't know.

But I thought Jackson McCullough was a scholarship player on signing day, and that they only two grey-shirts were DE Andrew Harris and C Cody Meyer.

One can tell those two are grey-shirts by the grey-shirt wording in their bio: "...has officially accepted an admissions offer and will attend UM in the fall of 2015".

Scholarship players don't have that wording. And Jackson McCullough doesn't have that wording either.

Signing day bios:
http://www.gogriz.com/news/2015/2/4/Stitt_unveils_Griz_football_class_of_2015.aspx?path=football

Griziron said:
Not exactly true Intuitive. They could be preferred walk-ons.

You are 100% correct, Griziron. Harris and Meyer are exactly that, preferred walkons. That's what I mean to say, but clearly had a brain fart. Everywhere I had said greyshirt, should have read preferred walkon.

We cleared that fiasco up. But what about Jackson McCullough now? :lol:

Back