• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Scrimmage #2 thoughts

Don't overthink it. We just need to play against a shittier defense. That's why we have MSU and EWU on the schedule.

All I want to know is if our #1 defense will be the best D that our #1 offense will see this year? If so, I'm okay with the progress. If not, I'm worried.

Gus was 15-24, 2 TD's (a 32 yarder to JLM, 28 yarder to Hovey) .

Defense piled up 5 sacks, forced 3 turnovers. Out of the 94 offensive plays, allowed just 3 passing TDs, and cut drives short, allowing just 6 third down conversions in 22 tries. And held the run game to 3 yards per rush.

True Freshman CB Josh Egbo put a shoulder, while being blocked, into SR RB John Nguyen in the flat that sent Nguyen out of bounds and flat on his back. It was on a dump off pass out of the backfield in the flat, where Nguyen gained 5 yards. Nice effort by Nguyen, but man I loved the beast tackle. I commented before his signing that I thought Egbo would be great in the secondary for the Griz.

Justin Calhoun was the other receiver in the endzone (behind/next to though) on that 32 yard touchdown caught by JLM. Calhoun could have easily caught it was well, both players were behind the lid of the defense.

Is Stitt just holding Weyer out for precautionary reasons or is he just not ready??? I think people are underestimating the effect his absence has had on our offense in these scrimmages. His presence is a HUGE key to our offensive prosperity this season.

When you have a quarterback who may pass for a respectable percentage but who still flat misses wide open throws far too often, even in his senior year … and who also can’t run … you have a serious problem. By this time, he and his various coaches through the years must have tried everything to correct those issues. The entire offense can do everything perfectly, and then he just overthrows the receiver and it’s all for nothing. This does not have to happen very often to lose games, especially the ones that count … big problem in the second NDSU match. Why does anyone think this is going to get better at this late date?

Fat Bruno said:
When you have a quarterback who may pass for a respectable percentage but who still flat misses wide open throws far too often, even in his senior year … and who also can’t run … you have a serious problem. By this time, he and his various coaches through the years must have tried everything to correct those issues. The entire offense can do everything perfectly, and then he just overthrows the receiver and it’s all for nothing. This does not have to happen very often to lose games, especially the ones that count … big problem in the second NDSU match. Why does anyone think this is going to get better at this late date?

A little more time couldn't hurt but you may have some valid concerns.

Soooo, Defense is good and the all-world innovative Slitt offense sucks ass. So basically 2015 repeated. No need to worry too much though, you might get past weber this year and get lucky again against ISU!

doc3kgt said:
Soooo, Defense is good and the all-world innovative Slitt offense sucks ass. So basically 2015 repeated. No need to worry too much though, you might get past weber this year and get lucky again against ISU!

Got more than enough to regularly kick the kitties ass, again.

doc3kgt said:

Yeah, you're the dude that posted that you actually would rather the Cats go 5-6 and not make the playoffs than have to play and lose to NDSU in the playoffs. So, your football IQ and credibility isn't exactly very good on here, or even BN for that matter.

behappp said:
Luckily I just opened my cliché book and I found out that "Defense wins championships!" :D
Is that the same cliche' book that says that Stitt is an "offensive genius?"

Just wunderin' ....

Fat Bruno said:
When you have a quarterback who may pass for a respectable percentage but who still flat misses wide open throws far too often, even in his senior year … and who also can’t run … you have a serious problem.
I pointed this out late last season, based on a "statistical analysis" that some derided as "not understanding football" although I noted that the irregularities in his passing were predictable BECAUSE there was a statistical pattern and, sure enough, predicted the final NDSU game.

That didn't say it couldn't be fixed, but didn't see it today.

havgrizfan said:
doc3kgt said:

Yeah, you're the dude that posted that you actually would rather the Cats go 5-6 and not make the playoffs than have to play and lose to NDSU in the playoffs. So, your football IQ and credibility isn't exactly very good on here, or even BN for that matter.

The majority of these ass hats (with doc3 being the leader) had a vote on BN just last season and about 70% voted they would rather beat the Griz and miss the playoffs.....than lose to Griz but make playoffs. True story. Tells you everything you need to know about doc and the rest of that idiotic fan base.

Fat Bruno said:

This is what still worries me! Over throws also usually result in INT's, just like the second NDSU game. Hopefully Stitt has the fortitude/gumption to pull Gus after 2+ INT's and not stick with him until he has 5 in a game?

GlacierGrizX said:
Fat Bruno said:

This is what still worries me! Over throws also usually result in INT's, just like the second NDSU game. Hopefully Stitt has the fortitude/gumption to pull Gus after 2+ INT's and not stick with him until he has 5 in a game?

And put in who exactly? The backups have combined for six INT's against the No. 2 and No. 3 defenses in two scrimmages. How many INT's has Brady thrown in the same scrums? How many did he throw against the No. 1 defense today?

havgrizfan said:
GlacierGrizX said:
Fat Bruno said:

And put in who exactly? The backups have combined for six INT's against the No. 2 and No. 3 defenses in two scrimmages. How many INT's has Brady thrown in the same scrums? How many did he throw against the No. 1 defense today?

I agree. BG overthrows a receiver, and some people think he doesn't know how to throw. The other guys throw multiple picks, and the same people ignore that.

gotgame75 said:
Is Stitt just holding Weyer out for precautionary reasons or is he just not ready??? I think people are underestimating the effect his absence has had on our offense in these scrimmages. His presence is a HUGE key to our offensive prosperity this season.

The plan all along has been to keep Weyer out of full contact until the first game. I don't know if Weyer has had any issues, small or not small, since pre-season practice began.

Back