• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Scrimmage #2 thoughts

UMGriz75 said:
Fat Bruno said:
When you have a quarterback who may pass for a respectable percentage but who still flat misses wide open throws far too often, even in his senior year … and who also can’t run … you have a serious problem.
I pointed this out late last season, based on a "statistical analysis" that some derided as "not understanding football" although I noted that the irregularities in his passing were predictable BECAUSE there was a statistical pattern and, sure enough, predicted the final NDSU game.

That didn't say it couldn't be fixed, but didn't see it today.

I am pretty sure that you still don't understand football, but I would also feel that way about anyone that was trying to defend the lack of consistency shown by BG.

Bloomberg75 said:
UMGriz75 said:
Fat Bruno said:
When you have a quarterback who may pass for a respectable percentage but who still flat misses wide open throws far too often, even in his senior year … and who also can’t run … you have a serious problem.
I pointed this out late last season, based on a "statistical analysis" that some derided as "not understanding football" although I noted that the irregularities in his passing were predictable BECAUSE there was a statistical pattern and, sure enough, predicted the final NDSU game.

I am pretty sure that you still don't understand football, but I would also feel that way about anyone that was trying to defend the lack of consistency shown by BG.

Can you show us any of your posts that indicate that you know anything about football? Nothing is coming to me. Perhaps you could help me/us.

PlayerRep said:
Bloomberg75 said:
UMGriz75 said:
Fat Bruno said:

Can you show us any of your posts that indicate that you know anything about football? Nothing is coming to me. Perhaps you could help me/us.

I don't go posting a 4000 word essay on statistical analysis of football trying to make people believe that I know any real football. And I played at multiple levels, so I can say that my football knowledge is just as good as yours.

Bloomberg75 said:
I don't go posting a 4000 word essay on statistical analysis of football trying to make people believe that I know any real football. And I played at multiple levels, so I can say that my football knowledge is just as good as yours.
John Madden Football doesn't actually count. Despite it's various "levels."

You do know that, don't you?

UMGriz75 said:
Bloomberg75 said:

Even if that was true, it would still make me more knowledgeable than you about real football.

Bloomberg75 said:
UMGriz75 said:
Bloomberg75 said:

Even if that was true, it would still make me more knowledgeable than you about real football.
Gosh, when I first interviewed Jack Swarthout at old Dornblaser, which I can actually document with bylined articles, what makes you so "knowledgeable?" Please illuminate. Jack was pretty sure he was doing "real football." What have you done?

Video games don't count.

How many Griz coaches over the years have you actually sat down with in their offices?

UMGriz75 said:
Bloomberg75 said:
UMGriz75 said:
Bloomberg75 said:

Gosh, when I first interviewed Jack Swarthout at old Dornblaser, which I can actually document with bylined articles and began following Griz football, what makes you so "knowledgeable?" Please illuminate.

Video games don't count.

How many Griz coaches over the years have you actually sat down with in their offices?

According to PR, actually having played the game seems to be a huge factor. And just because you sat down with a coach and wrote a story doesn't mean you know anything about football. But I would be willing to read your bylined articles, if you care to share.

havgrizfan said:
GlacierGrizX said:
Fat Bruno said:
When you have a quarterback who may pass for a respectable percentage but who still flat misses wide open throws far too often, even in his senior year … and who also can’t run … you have a serious problem. By this time, he and his various coaches through the years must have tried everything to correct those issues. The entire offense can do everything perfectly, and then he just overthrows the receiver and it’s all for nothing. This does not have to happen very often to lose games, especially the ones that count … big problem in the second NDSU match. Why does anyone think this is going to get better at this late date?

This is what still worries me! Over throws also usually result in INT's, just like the second NDSU game. Hopefully Stitt has the fortitude/gumption to pull Gus after 2+ INT's and not stick with him until he has 5 in a game?

And put in who exactly? The backups have combined for six INT's against the No. 2 and No. 3 defenses in two scrimmages. How many INT's has Brady thrown in the same scrums? How many did he throw against the No. 1 defense today?

When you throw 2+ picks in a game either the player is not having a good game or the defense knows your tendencies and is keying in, or bad game planing or the combo of the three. When this happens its time to look at the bench and see if someone else has a hot hand or mess with the defense's rhythm. Chalich was perfectly suited/capable as a "game manager" last season when pressed into action. I'm not saying bench Brady for the season if he throws 2+ picks. Lastly, I don't like QBs that throw high to receivers as Brady does, I rather see a QB that throws it in the dirt. I was miserable watching the second NDSU game last year, as the defense made a gallant effort for Brady to throw 4 picks; for the defense to finally get gassed halfway through the second quarter.

Bloomberg75 said:
PlayerRep said:
Bloomberg75 said:
UMGriz75 said:

Judging by your posts, I can't believe you played at any decent level. Let us know what level you played at.

Bloomberg75 said:
According to PR, actually having played the game seems to be a huge factor. And just because you sat down with a coach and wrote a story doesn't mean you know anything about football.
Oh, I played it as well. I quit on the day that I was "smushed" in High School by three or four 200 lbrs and my face in the mud, and decided that Chess Club was safer.

It was just an example of actually analyzing collegiate football, you know, at the collegiate level by actually talking to people that play and coach at that level, documenting those conversations by published articles, and talking to them in a professional context, and that for me this began over 40 years ago.

What did you do, again?

Bloomberg75 said:
UMGriz75 said:
Bloomberg75 said:
UMGriz75 said:

Gosh, when I first interviewed Jack Swarthout at old Dornblaser, which I can actually document with bylined articles and began following Griz football, what makes you so "knowledgeable?" Please illuminate.

Video games don't count.

According to PR, actually having played the game seems to be a huge factor. And just because you sat down with a coach and wrote a story doesn't mean you know anything about football. But I would be willing to read your bylined articles, if you care to share.

I have never ever said it is necessary to have played the game to understand the game. Never once. However, I have pointed out multiple posters who obviously never played the game. Not a single one of them has even disputed my observation. It's not hard to spot posts that show that the poster never played the game. You wouldn't know or understand that, because ....

UMGriz75 said:
Bloomberg75 said:
According to PR, actually having played the game seems to be a huge factor. And just because you sat down with a coach and wrote a story doesn't mean you know anything about football.
Oh, I played it as well. I quit on the day that I was "smushed" in High School and decided that Chess Club was safer.

It was just an example of actually analyzing collegiate football, you know, at the collegiate level by actually talking to people that play and coach at that level, documenting those conversations by published articles, and talking to them in a professional context, and that for me this began over 40 years ago.

What did you do, again?

Bloomberg just feels insecure and threatened by posters who use reason, good arguments, and statistics to back up what they say, and those who actually understand the game. I recall zero substantive football analysis that has come out of Bloomberg. Like I said, he doesn't have the balls to post those things out of his regular posting name.

PlayerRep said:
UMGriz75 said:
Bloomberg75 said:
Oh, I played it as well. I quit on the day that I was "smushed" in High School and decided that Chess Club was safer.

What did you do, again?

Bloomberg just feels insecure and threatened by posters who use reason, good arguments, and statistics to back up what they say, and those who actually understand the game. I recall zero substantive football analysis that has come out of Bloomberg. Like I said, he doesn't have the balls to post those things out of his regular posting name.

Boy, this is an awesome post, except you thinking that 75 actually understands the game beyond crunching a couple numbers. But I am glad that you continually want to hold his hand and make him feel good.

Bloomberg75 said:
PlayerRep said:
UMGriz75 said:
Bloomberg75 said:

What did you do, again?

Feel free to point out any recent substantive football posts you have made. I'm talking about you, not the real 75.

Boy, this is an awesome post, except you thinking that 75 actually understands the game beyond crunching a couple numbers. But I am glad that you continually want to hold his hand and make him feel good.

IntuitiveGriz said:
True Freshman CB Josh Egbo put a shoulder, while being blocked, into SR RB John Nguyen in the flat that sent Nguyen out of bounds and flat on his back. It was on a dump off pass out of the backfield in the flat, where Nguyen gained 5 yards. Nice effort by Nguyen, but man I loved the beast tackle. I commented before his signing that I thought Egbo would be great in the secondary for the Griz.
Wow....hopefully we can get back to football, whenever playerep shows up the thread just becomes a shit-show. Never contributing anything football related.

Glad to hear Egbo is getting some action early and making plays. He was recruited to play CB, despite never playing CB in high school. He and Cowans will need to be BIG players for us in the future. I think they've got a great coach in Hall, and some really solid players ahead of them to learn from. Hopefully they're ready to go next fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where is all the talk about DOLA. Seems like egriz discussions not long ago were predicting huge amounts of DOLA. Is it gone forever?

Well, it appears that because the backups throw even more bad balls than the starter does that we have no problem. This does not compute. It means the problem is even worse. Also, the center snap issue is one which, without some very good luck, is going to bite us in the ass. I wonder if someone who has played that position, or coached it, could enlighten us on why it’s so difficult for athletic young guys to master that particular skill. I’m not belittling the ability to master that particular maneuver, but you can’t help but wonder why the hell it can’t be learned by anyone coordinated and athletic enough to play college football.

How do we know football season is about here? Rival fans come out from under their rocks with smoking guns. EGRIZ Einsteins (experts) call one another out for not knowing or not playing the game. Many egrizzers bitch about how bad our #1 QB is, how bad our OL is, etc. Even more ironic, the Egrizzer who used to do this all the time is actually pretty tame these days, compared to some on here.

Some of you need to relax. Every year the defense has a huge advantage over the offense as the preseason practices advance. It does not take very ong for defenders to know QB cadence, audibles, coaching signals, player to player eye contact, tells, etc. Hell, even back to high school preseason football, freshman and sophomore defenders can sniff an offensive play out after defending it so many times! All it takes is for an intelligent defender to pay consistent attention to the signals, audibles, etc to be consistently effective against the offense. It is amazing how well under classman defenders look during the preseason against their own offense. It is even magnified for upper classman defenders.

The true test for every team is when they play regular season games. Chances are very likely, qb and OL play will be much better as the season progresses. Also keep in mind, when a QB is getting acclimated to a new set of WR's playing key roles, it takes time to get on the same page with those new WR's. Other than Horner, Gustafson has very little experience playing with this WR group. I fully expect there to be growing pains in the passing game early in the season. There will be some inconsistencies in the passing game. As the season progresses, the timing and knowledge of each WR's skills will be improved. I will take Stitt's word over any egrizzer as to Gustafson's capabilities. I am pretty comfortable where this team is at right now. I also am confident most the naysayers here will yet be proven wrong again by the time the regular season ends and Gustafson leads a peaking offense into a solid playoff run.

Come on people, everything will be just fine. Have some patience and common sense before panicking over preseason practices and scrimmages.

So Gustafson's problem in the last game of last season was lack of comfort with his receivers? If that's the case, I think maybe they need more slumber parties.
But, personally, I'm not feeling any panic, just some uneasy questions about things that seem perpetually unresolved.

Fat Bruno said:
So Gustafson's problem in the last game of last season was lack of comfort with his receivers? If that's the case, I think maybe they need more slumber parties.
But, personally, I'm not feeling any panic, just some uneasy questions about things that seem perpetually unresolved.

No, he and the whole offense had a terrible game. As would most offenses with a talented defense being tipped off and knowing the snap count. Credit NDSU for picking up on that and utilizing their home field advantage. Offenses and qb's will have bad games, now and then. My point is. It is common for offenses to struggle earlier in the season. Just watch the shit show offenses in preseason NFL games. Even at the highest level of football, defenses have a huge early season advantage over offenses. Offenses more than likely become more consistent as the season progresses. Yes, there are exceptions at all levels. Yes, a qb may struggle in late season game too. That usually happens when the matchup against a superior defense.

Honestly, we hear the same things over and over every preseason. Fortunately, the GRIZ usually prove the naysayers wrong. Thank God, GRIZ coaches and players have better attitudes and more common sense than some of the egrizzers.

Back