• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Serious Question About Our Offense

Atlanta Griz1

Since the board lacks football posts now, I thought it might be fun to banter about a couple of the reasons I do not like Stitt's offense. I'll give you my concerns, and you can challenge them or give a contrary opinion.

1) Goal to run 100 plays...... while I totally get his reasons (to wear out the defense) to run 100 plays, I ask you why very few (if any) college or NFL coaches try that same approach on offense? Quite a few teams have tried it in the past, since Sam Wyche of the Bengals installed his no-huddle hurry-up offense in 1989. There was Houston's run-n-shoot with David Klingler and the other Heisman QB whose name escapes me. Several others too. But they always junk that offense in the end. And, they never win the big games using it.

My problem with it is that a quick 3-n-out will do just the opposite as Stitt wants, which is to place our "D" back on the field with little rest, thus wearing OUR defense out instead of our opponent.

2) Having no tight ends or blocking backs on the roster.......I believe that any strong offense MUST have a strong running game, and MUST be able to gain a couple of yards on the ground when necessary. Without a TE or blocking back, we were not able to do that last season. The O-line can only do so much on a certain short-yardage running play. To be successful, a team needs to have a player who can dominate a LB/DB in the hole, thus creating an opening for the RB to gain the yardage. We just couldn't do it last season. I'll bet our success rate on 3rd/4th and short was about 35-40%.... no better. This is unacceptable, and will end drives much too often. It needs to be about a 75% success rate.

3) Using the bubble screen as a "running play"....... this is perhaps the dumbest thing that Stitt does, in my opinion. There are more bad things that can happen on a bubble screen than good things, as we witnessed last year. It is NOT a substitute for a good running game! however, Stitt has backed himself into a corner by refusing to use TEs or blocking backs. He tried to compensate last season by using a slot receiver in motion as a blocking back...... with very mixed results

Look at the number of plays per game the Patriots or Chip Kelly's offense runs. Those numbers will surprise you. Depending on the year, mid-70s which is high for NFL. Not far behind college. Many college offenses run 80-90 plays per game, and I believe Stitt has stated he wants 90 plays. Not going three and out is the key.

Not true on strong offenses needing a blocking TE or RB to be successful. Look at Wazzu, Texas Tech, etc.

Those are all valid points. All offenses, and defenses for that matter, have strengths and weaknesses and you did a good job of highlighting what could be perceived as weaknesses in Stitt's offense. My only comment is that I don't believe last season - Stitt's first in Montana - can accurately be used to measure the success or failure of his offense overall. This season, with more of "his players" and an additional off-season of training in the new system, will certainly give us a more accurate representation of what this offense can accomplish. All coaches, not just Stitt, should be allowed at least two seasons of play and recruiting cycles, to be fairly judged. Some might argue that five years is necessary in order for a coach to truly be assessed for his overall vision of a program (which would ensure that all players were recruited by him) but unless that coach has had at least some measure of success it is unlikely he would still be holding down the job five season's in. That being said I think the area's you highlighted will be worthy of a close look as his tenure in Montana plays out.

I generally also dislike the spread offenses and high volume play calling....but when watching the Griz and Stitts offense...idk what it is, but it just seems a bit different, I cant quite put my finger on it.

All valid points and could be areas of concern. The one thing I would say on the bubble screen, I don't think we had the most-effective receiver there last year for what Stitt wants to do. I think we will see an upgrade with JLM. In fact I think we will all be pleasantly surprised at what that kid will bring to the offense. I think the bubble screens and the fly sweeps that we kind of got away from will be more effective

So it seems that 2 of the 3 "concerns" are the lack of blockers, pointing out the lack of the TE or a blocking back and the use of a bubble screen for a run play because of the lack of a TE.

Might I point out... the "H" wide receivers:

Josh Horner, 6-5 220
Mike Ralston, 6-5 260
Colin Bingham, 6-3 220
Makena Simis, 6-2 205

Makena's the odd-man out here but Horner, Ralston, and Bingham are what you claim Stitt doesn't have. All three played as TE's in high school, have the size of most FCS TE's, and are used to block in running situations with this current offense. Suggesting Stitt doesn't utilize players like Horner, Ralston, and Bingham to help the running game is just silly.

Bubble screens, or quick hitters to the outside more frequently in Stitt's offense, are not substitutes for the running game. They are in addition to the running game, and are designed to do a couple of things beyond pick up yardage: (1) spread the defense to OPEN more traditional running lanes, and (2) tire out LBs and linemen who have to chase them down.

EverettGriz said:
Bubble screens, or quick hitters to the outside more frequently in Stitt's offense, are not substitutes for the running game. They are in addition to the running game, and are designed to do a couple of things beyond pick up yardage: (1) spread the defense to OPEN more traditional running lanes, and (2) tire out LBs and linemen who have to chase them down.

:thumb:

Nothing to add really but those are two damn good points

BWahlberg said:
EverettGriz said:

Put it in Louie Mcgees hands and I doubt there will be any more complaints about bubble screens

brewskis said:
BWahlberg said:
EverettGriz said:

Put it in Louie Mcgees hands and I doubt there will be any more complaints about bubble screens

No shit, at least not if the spring game was a preview :eek:

Atlanta Griz1 said:
Since the board lacks football posts now, I thought it might be fun to banter about a couple of the reasons I do not like Stitt's offense. I'll give you my concerns, and you can challenge them or give a contrary opinion.

1) Goal to run 100 plays...... while I totally get his reasons (to wear out the defense) to run 100 plays, I ask you why very few (if any) college or NFL coaches try that same approach on offense? Quite a few teams have tried it in the past, since Sam Wyche of the Bengals installed his no-huddle hurry-up offense in 1989. There was Houston's run-n-shoot with David Klingler and the other Heisman QB whose name escapes me. Several others too. But they always junk that offense in the end. And, they never win the big games using it.

My problem with it is that a quick 3-n-out will do just the opposite as Stitt wants, which is to place our "D" back on the field with little rest, thus wearing OUR defense out instead of our opponent.

2) Having no tight ends or blocking backs on the roster.......I believe that any strong offense MUST have a strong running game, and MUST be able to gain a couple of yards on the ground when necessary. Without a TE or blocking back, we were not able to do that last season. The O-line can only do so much on a certain short-yardage running play. To be successful, a team needs to have a player who can dominate a LB/DB in the hole, thus creating an opening for the RB to gain the yardage. We just couldn't do it last season. I'll bet our success rate on 3rd/4th and short was about 35-40%.... no better. This is unacceptable, and will end drives much too often. It needs to be about a 75% success rate.

3) Using the bubble screen as a "running play"....... this is perhaps the dumbest thing that Stitt does, in my opinion. There are more bad things that can happen on a bubble screen than good things, as we witnessed last year. It is NOT a substitute for a good running game! however, Stitt has backed himself into a corner by refusing to use TEs or blocking backs. He tried to compensate last season by using a slot receiver in motion as a blocking back...... with very mixed results

Andre Ware

EverettGriz said:
brewskis said:
BWahlberg said:
EverettGriz said:

No shit, at least not if the spring game was a preview :eek:

Really looking forward to seeing JLM's contributions this year.

BWahlberg said:
EverettGriz said:

I'll add get the ball to a skill position player "in space".

BWahlberg said:
So it seems that 2 of the 3 "concerns" are the lack of blockers, pointing out the lack of the TE or a blocking back and the use of a bubble screen for a run play because of the lack of a TE.

Josh Horner, 6-5 220
Mike Ralston, 6-5 260
Colin Bingham, 6-3 220
Makena Simis, 6-2 205

Makena's the odd-man out here but Horner, Ralston, and Bingham are what you claim Stitt doesn't have. All three played as TE's in high school, have the size of most FCS TE's, and are used to block in running situations with this current offense. Suggesting Stitt doesn't utilize players like Horner, Ralston, and Bingham to help the running game is just silly.

This is going to be a different year going into Stitt's second season. The offense gets it more-especially the o-line and blocking for the receivers down field. I love to see skepticism on this sight. the skeptics are usually cynics, and generally wrong!

BWahlberg said:

Josh Horner, 6-5 220
Mike Ralston, 6-5 260
Colin Bingham, 6-3 220
Makena Simis, 6-2 205

Dude, I have addressed you on this issue before but it looks like it does'nt sink in. Having a motion player, no matter how big and tough he is, try to engage a LB in a hole while running laterally before turning to engage is not quite the same as having a blocking back with 4 steps before contact. It is just apples and oranges.

EverettGriz said:

Yeah, and it worked sooooo well last season, eh? :roll:

AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
EverettGriz said:

You mean like Travon Van?

Atlanta Griz1 said:
AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
EverettGriz said:

You mean like Travon Van?

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atlanta Griz1 said:
BWahlberg said:

Josh Horner, 6-5 220
Mike Ralston, 6-5 260
Colin Bingham, 6-3 220
Makena Simis, 6-2 205

Dude, I have addressed you on this issue before but it looks like it does'nt sink in. Having a motion player, no matter how big and tough he is, try to engage a LB in a hole while running laterally before turning to engage is not quite the same as having a blocking back with 4 steps before contact. It is just apples and oranges.

You make it sound like it can't be done....the fullback is a dying position and even teams that implement one do so a low percentage of the plays......As for the TE...you can accomplish many of the same things with an H.....

Back