• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Serious Question About Our Offense

doc3kgt said:
grizindabox said:
doc3kgt said:
grizindabox said:
Do you really believe that Stitt doesn't want to be able to run the ball effectively......Do you not think that UM has any quality at running back.....

Have you seen um's rushing stats last year? Go look them up, I'll wait. :coffee:

That doesn't mean that Stiit would not like to run more effectively.....nor does it mean that UM does not have a quality running back.....and imo it relates more to OL play and offensive execution....

I guess so if that's how you want to spin it. I'm just saying maybe focusing more on beefing up and improving the run game rather than having an excessive number of incoming WRs might be a good idea. PR we aren't talking about MSU, and spinning your stats to try to prove that um had a better running game than Montana State last year is laughable. MSU's offense was one of the best in the nation last year. Newell will be near the top in rushing this year, and certainly a hell of a lot higher than any UM RB.

Great point. I, too, think Stitt should focus on having the best OL, the best RBs, the best WRs, the best QBs, and the best defense in the nation. Why not? The fact that he doesn't want to run the ball well doesn't bode well for UM. He just flat out doesn't want to do it.

Do you have any eligibility remaining? I'm thinking UM could sign you at RB (to finally get that education you've been lacking), place a collie in the end zone, give you the ball, and we'd waltz to the NC. Kind of like a Forrest Gump at UA thing, but with weirder TD "celebrations."

RobGriz said:
brewskis said:
RobGriz said:
brewskis said:
If you think Stitts offense is anything like Oregons then you truly are a soccer coach.
And if you can't see the similarities between the two you should NEVER talk about football again...with anyone...ever.
The only similarity is space of play.
Thanks for proving my point. If you don't see the similarities in the read option or the QB/receiver reads in the passing game than you definately should not talk football.
So they each require the QB to make reads at the LOS? Show me an offense that doesn't do that. Oregon is exactly what you said....read-option. Montana is a layered passing attack.

brewskis said:
RobGriz said:
brewskis said:
RobGriz said:
And if you can't see the similarities between the two you should NEVER talk about football again...with anyone...ever.
Thanks for proving my point. If you don't see the similarities in the read option or the QB/receiver reads in the passing game than you definately should not talk football.
So they each require the QB to make reads at the LOS? Show me an offense that doesn't do that. Oregon is exactly what you said....read-option. Montana is a layered passing attack.
Dear gawd, just stop. Do you seriously think that oregons passing Offense isn't a dynamic read/layered attack?

Reading all the crap about our offense from dill-rodz that obviously lack any clue is a waste of Egriz space. Toss in some yokels from bozeman's fan base and you have spoiled goolash that soured yesterday.

Obviously growler has not improved his ability to figure out Stitt's offense. A serious complainer about all Griz programs and a die hard guy that has a Mad On for all Griz football. Atlanta/Angry is a person that enjoys always looking at the dark side of Griz Football. Enough said. I still enjoy his tirades that are usually dead wrong and this is another example. Carry on Atlanta/Angry!

doc3kgt said:
grizindabox said:
doc3kgt said:
grizindabox said:
Do you really believe that Stitt doesn't want to be able to run the ball effectively......Do you not think that UM has any quality at running back.....

Have you seen um's rushing stats last year? Go look them up, I'll wait. :coffee:

That doesn't mean that Stiit would not like to run more effectively.....nor does it mean that UM does not have a quality running back.....and imo it relates more to OL play and offensive execution....

I guess so if that's how you want to spin it. I'm just saying maybe focusing more on beefing up and improving the run game rather than having an excessive number of incoming WRs might be a good idea. PR we aren't talking about MSU, and spinning your stats to try to prove that um had a better running game than Montana State last year is laughable. MSU's offense was one of the best in the nation last year. Newell will be near the top in rushing this year, and certainly a hell of a lot higher than any UM RB.

my understanding is they have been working hard in the off season to beef up and improve.....Stitt is not abandoning the running game....

brewskis said:
RobGriz said:
brewskis said:
RobGriz said:
Here. Read this and stop embarrassing yourself.
http://fishduck.com/2013/08/crossover-air-raid-principles-in-the-oregon-passing-game/

Atlanta Griz1 said:
RobGriz said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
electricgriz42 said:
So if you look to the nfl, the Patriots have a mediocre runnine game, and everyone knows that they are going to throw the ball. Guess what, they still throw the ball, and will line up gronk in various different areas on the field, not just as a tight end off the line. Now I know that the griz are not the pats, but the concept remains. Belichik drafted linemen early to establish a dominant oline so as to give his qb the time needed to read the field. If our o-line can give gus time in the pocket he will perform much better than last year. So, insteam of proclaiming that "the sky is falling" and that Stitt's offense will not work, let's see what the next 2 seasons bring.

I didn't say the sky is falling. We will beat up on the typical Big Sky patsies, and lose to teams who play great defense. If we make the playoffs, it will be a short run again. This offense will never win the chipper because it will never be able to sustain any semblance of a real running game, which is critical against great defenses.

There is another negative aspect of Stitt's offense which was exposed in the Portland State game last season. That is, when the weather gets gnarly, he can't run his offense effectively. We play in the Northwest, where weather can be a huge factor in any game. That's why being able to run the ball is critical.
You bring up some good points but I would say that part of the reason our run game doesn't work is because every team we face knows that Brady is not a threat to keep the ball. Hard to run an option if you take away 50% of the options.

Agree 100%! Without the threat of the QB running on the option, our offense is so much easier to defend. This is yet another reason not to like this offense. It is VERY HARD at the FCS level to find a QB who can sling the rock well enough, yet be a real threat to run the ball. Wentz would have been a perfect fit for Stitt's offense. Unfortunately, there are few QBs like Mariota and Wentz available. We've 7 QBs trying to be THE MAN. But, can any of them do it? I think Phillips has the best chance. Just sayin'.
JJ would've been perfect in this offense. And Gresch will be awesome in it. The truth is that many high schools are running an offense very similar to ours so development of QBs should not be an issue.

RobGriz said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
RobGriz said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
I didn't say the sky is falling. We will beat up on the typical Big Sky patsies, and lose to teams who play great defense. If we make the playoffs, it will be a short run again. This offense will never win the chipper because it will never be able to sustain any semblance of a real running game, which is critical against great defenses.

There is another negative aspect of Stitt's offense which was exposed in the Portland State game last season. That is, when the weather gets gnarly, he can't run his offense effectively. We play in the Northwest, where weather can be a huge factor in any game. That's why being able to run the ball is critical.
You bring up some good points but I would say that part of the reason our run game doesn't work is because every team we face knows that Brady is not a threat to keep the ball. Hard to run an option if you take away 50% of the options.

Agree 100%! Without the threat of the QB running on the option, our offense is so much easier to defend. This is yet another reason not to like this offense. It is VERY HARD at the FCS level to find a QB who can sling the rock well enough, yet be a real threat to run the ball. Wentz would have been a perfect fit for Stitt's offense. Unfortunately, there are few QBs like Mariota and Wentz available. We've 7 QBs trying to be THE MAN. But, can any of them do it? I think Phillips has the best chance. Just sayin'.
JJ would've been perfect in this offense. And Gresch will be awesome in it. The truth is that many high schools are running an offense very similar to ours so development of QBs should not be an issue.

Agree completely. Which is why Stitt loved Gresch right away. When you watched his high school offense, it basically mimicked Stitt's spread attack. Stitt said they brought Jensen into a ca,p and he picked up on the concepts instantly because he has been running that offense for years. Gonna be fun with him.

HookedonGriz said:
Agree completely. Which is why Stitt loved Gresch right away. When you watched his high school offense, it basically mimicked Stitt's spread attack. Stitt said they brought Jensen into a ca,p and he picked up on the concepts instantly because he has been running that offense for years. Gonna be fun with him.
Well, that's interesting. We'll be running a high school level offense that's been out there "for years?"

UMGriz75 said:
HookedonGriz said:
Well, that's interesting. We'll be running a high school level offense that's been out there "for years?"
Please hush up and let the adults talk. We will let your dumb ass know if we want you to speak.

grizindabox said:
doc3kgt said:
grizindabox said:
doc3kgt said:

my understanding is they have been working hard in the off season to beef up and improve.....Stitt is not abandoning the running game....

Well you would know more than me, just seems like a lot of emphasis on one position.

RobGriz said:
UMGriz75 said:
HookedonGriz said:
Please hush up and let the adults talk. We will let your dumb ass know if we want you to speak.
Ha Ha. Adults? You?

In any event, it is an interesting proposition. The High School QBs already know "the system." Hmmm.

doc3kgt said:
grizindabox said:
doc3kgt said:
grizindabox said:

Well you would know more than me, just seems like a lot of emphasis on one position.

Progress.

doc3kgt said:
grizindabox said:
doc3kgt said:
grizindabox said:

What did your great rushing stats get you last year? I got the answer a losing record!!! Go look it up!!

doc3kgt said:
grizindabox said:
doc3kgt said:
grizindabox said:

You do realize that based on percentage, MSU has more WR/TE on its current roster than does UM......

UMGriz75 said:
RobGriz said:
UMGriz75 said:
HookedonGriz said:
Ha Ha. Adults? You?

In any event, it is an interesting proposition. The High School QBs already know "the system." Hmmm.

well....when you assume the number of HS QB's to the number of offensive systems....odds are you can find some that have played in an offensive system....

UMGriz75 said:
RobGriz said:
UMGriz75 said:
HookedonGriz said:
Ha Ha. Adults? You?

Why are you always trying to pick a fight man. Is it that hard to believe that Jensen has been running a 4 receiver, 1 back, spread/read attack offense for his high school team? And he has been doing it very effectively by the way. When I watched him on TV last year, the analyst went on and on about what a perfect fit he will be for Stitt and the Griz because he is already running that type of offense. Why is that hard to grasp?

UMGriz75 said:
RobGriz said:
UMGriz75 said:
HookedonGriz said:
Ha Ha. Adults? You?

Hey! Shut that cock holster. It's not raining dicks.

HookedonGriz said:
UMGriz75 said:
RobGriz said:
UMGriz75 said:
Ha Ha. Adults? You?

Why are you always trying to pick a fight man. Is it that hard to believe that Jensen has been running a 4 receiver, 1 back, spread/read attack offense for his high school team? And he has been doing it very effectively by the way. When I watched him on TV last year, the analyst went on and on about what a perfect fit he will be for Stitt and the Griz because he is already running that type of offense. Why is that hard to grasp?
For him it is. He thinks high schools are primarily running the wing-T and single wing like "back in the day"

RobGriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
UMGriz75 said:
RobGriz said:
Ha Ha. Adults? You?

For him it is. He thinks high schools are primarily running the wing-T and single wing like "back in the day"
Wow, this is a toughie for the pretend adults. I am skeptical that this a high school strategy. That's why it is phrased as a question, because the original statement was positively orgasmic that high school QBs already knew all about it. Frankly, I doubt it, but that is based only on the claim that Stitt is an "innovator," one reason I thought his choice was inspired in many ways. But, the struggle against reality runs deep here with some and if you believe it is true, that instead he has only adopted a strategy that kids "have already been running in high school," then we've got a problem. It's hardly a claim to "innovation" if its been run in high schools "for years."

If true, what's the strategic advantage? That the DC's are best prepared if they are brought up from High schools rather than Division II or NAIA schools? I don't follow High School football, so it was, in fact, an honest question. What is an FCS school doing adopting an apparently well-known high school offense?

Do you people ever read what you write?

Back