• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring game countdown, player to watch: Marq Rogers

AllWeatherFan said:
We should expect Rogers to contribute every bit as much here this season as Kupp contributed at EWU last season.

Finally, someone with reasonable expectations.

BWahlberg said:
WyomingGrizFan said:
Would be nice for a change that for once the Griz can turn the tables back on the I-AA and come up with a couple super stars themselves. Hope it's not all premature but that would be quite a trio if it works out: Henderson, Jones & Rogers.

Look at the skill in this offense.

QB: Jordan Johnson
RB: Jordan Canada, TraVon Van, Joey Counts.
WR: Ellis Henderson, Jamal Jones, Chase Naccarato, Taylor Walcott, Marq Rogers
TE: Jordan Harper, Mitch Saylor

Then add in role players like Nguyen and Favors at RB, Haynes, Burke, Berland, and Carver at WR, and Ralston at TE and Wilson at FB...

You've got one of the deepest rosters in terms of skill players (save QB). It comes down to how the O-line comes together and if the coaching staff can find consistency in play calling which produces continual week by week positive results and this could be quite the year for putting up points on the board.
This is a solid post...but anyone worth their weight in football beans knows "D" wins titles...( ask Peyton Manning) We are sh!tty tacklers until further notice...the tape doesn't lie... :egriz:

rimrockgriz said:
BWahlberg said:
WyomingGrizFan said:
Would be nice for a change that for once the Griz can turn the tables back on the I-AA and come up with a couple super stars themselves. Hope it's not all premature but that would be quite a trio if it works out: Henderson, Jones & Rogers.

Then add in role players like Nguyen and Favors at RB, Haynes, Burke, Berland, and Carver at WR, and Ralston at TE and Wilson at FB...

You've got one of the deepest rosters in terms of skill players (save QB). It comes down to how the O-line comes together and if the coaching staff can find consistency in play calling which produces continual week by week positive results and this could be quite the year for putting up points on the board.
This is a solid post...but anyone worth their weight in football beans knows "D" wins titles...( ask Peyton Manning) We are sh!tty tacklers until further notice...the tape doesn't lie... :egriz:

That's ok. we will just outscore them!

Hammer said:
rimrockgriz said:
BWahlberg said:
WyomingGrizFan said:

O.K. funny f....r I'll wave as i drive by your river this weekend... :thumb: ... :egriz:

rimrockgriz said:
Hammer said:
rimrockgriz said:
BWahlberg said:

O.K. funny f....r I'll wave as i drive by your river this weekend... :thumb: ... :egriz:

Just watch for the guy with a PBR in one hand and a 4 lb brown in the other! :thumb:

rimrockgriz said:
and...you're comparing to Randy Moss ( one of the most talented freaks to EVER step on a football field) ?

HINT:...read my lips:..."all the rave reminds me and hence draws comparisons"...'Would be nice"..."Hope it's not too premature."

brootgrizr said:
Once again Alpha wants to make all threads about him. As far as I am concerced he can take his star/bar flag of racism & his ittsy bittsy flag of sexism and shove it up the backside of his icon. But, that is all BS about that jerk, and has nothing to do with Marq Rogers, who stands a chance of being a very special Griz.

First of all the flag in my signature is not racist in anyway. You need to learn about battle flags jagoff, before you go spouting things you have no clue about, this flag AND ITS COLOR should tell anyone that doesnt have their head shoved up their ass all they need to know.

Way to fail at being a dumb cu*t, you will fit in very well around here.

WyomingGrizFan said:
rimrockgriz said:
and...you're comparing to Randy Moss ( one of the most talented freaks to EVER step on a football field) ?

HINT:...read my lips:..."all the rave reminds me and hence draws comparisons"...'Would be nice"..."Hope it's not too premature."
Nice try to spin out... :roll: I thought for sure you would select some historical rhetoric from Henry VIII or Genghis Khan. :roll: I remember you jumping me when I first started posting here. Comparing to Randy Moss is an insult to "any" real football head which you are NOT. :puke: ... :egriz: your comparison is based on height and weight...that's f.....g lame dude. Moss was a 2 time W.V player of the year in HOOPS.... :roll:

Thanks Brint. He certainly looks to be one to watch. Don't know if we will make it over but we are thinking about it. It is always fun to take the grandsons to the scrimmage if the weather is nice.

Keep up the posts. You provide us out-of-towners with a little insight and add to the excitement of the upcoming season. Sure wish you could post from the practices.

It don't matter how good we looks on paper. How many points we score.. We are still going to get our butts handed to us on defense, which will keep teams in the game. How many more seasons will it take for people to understand that Gregorak is a good linebackers coach but what he learned from Paulson flat out stinks.. If there was a book called: Defensive Coordinator for dummies, Gregorak would be the author..

grizcountry420 said:
We are still going to get our butts handed to us on defense, which will keep teams in the game. How many more seasons will it take for people to understand that Gregorak is a good linebackers coach but what he learned from Paulson flat out stinks..

"We are still going to get our butts handed to us on defense" - I'm not so sure on that just yet. Liking what I'm seeing so far from the younger guys on defense this spring.

The defense has to step up much more as a complete unit. Last years team was full of talented players but it seemed that what it really lacked was cohesion and playing together as a continual 11-man squad out there. They also fell victim to a system that would, at times, become too passive in it's approach. I think last years game plan was built on the expectation that the 2013 defensive line was going to put as much pressure on the QBs as the 2012 defensive line did. When, in fact, it did not. The 2014 D-line has a lot of familiar faces from the 2013 and 2012 team. I think right the ability for this group to pressure the QB is key to defensive success this season. I would bet that Gregorak has built in a plan to increase pressure from LBs/DBs if the D-line can't provide enough pressure.

Also "flat out stinks" come on... it wasn't top-notch but it also wasn't the worst, looking at 2013's conference only stats:

- 5th (tied) in scoring defense (24 ppg)
- 6th in total defense (395 ypg)
- 3rd in rushing defense (131.5 ypg)
- 11th in pass defense (263.6 ypg) - ouch
- 2nd (tied) in interceptions (12)
- 2nd in sacks (21)
- 6th best in opponent 1st downs allowed (20.1 per game)
- 8th in opponent 3rd down conversion (41.1%)
- 1st in turnover margin (+15)
- 2nd best in Red Zone defense (63% occasion of TDs allowed)

Looking at that, there's some good stuff there, rushing D, sacks, turnovers forced/ratio, interceptions, and red zone defense. There's some stuff that really needs to be improved as well, pass defense (big time), 1st downs allowed, 3rd down conversion %. All of that needs improvement.

However saying the system is terrible & the coach is terrible.... is wrong. It needs improvement to produce a championship team, yes for sure.

BWahlberg said:
grizcountry420 said:
We are still going to get our butts handed to us on defense, which will keep teams in the game. How many more seasons will it take for people to understand that Gregorak is a good linebackers coach but what he learned from Paulson flat out stinks..

"We are still going to get our butts handed to us on defense" - I'm not so sure on that just yet. Liking what I'm seeing so far from the younger guys on defense this spring.

The defense has to step up much more as a complete unit. Last years team was full of talented players but it seemed that what it really lacked was cohesion and playing together as a continual 11-man squad out there. They also fell victim to a system that would, at times, become too passive in it's approach. I think last years game plan was built on the expectation that the 2013 defensive line was going to put as much pressure on the QBs as the 2012 defensive line did. When, in fact, it did not. The 2014 D-line has a lot of familiar faces from the 2013 and 2012 team. I think right the ability for this group to pressure the QB is key to defensive success this season. I would bet that Gregorak has built in a plan to increase pressure from LBs/DBs if the D-line can't provide enough pressure.

Also "flat out stinks" come on... it wasn't top-notch but it also wasn't the worst, looking at 2013's conference only stats:

- 5th (tied) in scoring defense (24 ppg)
- 6th in total defense (395 ypg)
- 3rd in rushing defense (131.5 ypg)
- 11th in pass defense (263.6 ypg) - ouch
- 2nd (tied) in interceptions (12)
- 2nd in sacks (21)
- 6th best in opponent 1st downs allowed (20.1 per game)
- 8th in opponent 3rd down conversion (41.1%)
- 1st in turnover margin (+15)
- 2nd best in Red Zone defense (63% occasion of TDs allowed)

Looking at that, there's some good stuff there, rushing D, sacks, turnovers forced/ratio, interceptions, and red zone defense. There's some stuff that really needs to be improved as well, pass defense (big time), 1st downs allowed, 3rd down conversion %. All of that needs improvement.

However saying the system is terrible & the coach is terrible.... is wrong. It needs improvement to produce a championship team, yes for sure.

I sure hope your right Brint! I really do.. Our D-Line this year should be one of the best in the conference but its going to be a crapshoot to see if everyone else on the D will show up.

grizcountry420 said:
I sure hope your right Brint! I really do.. Our D-Line this year should be one of the best in the conference but its going to be a crapshoot to see if everyone else on the D will show up.

I hope I'm right as well, ha :thumb:

Seems to me the biggest area of needed improvement is pass defense, the Griz pass D wasn't good last year and it's a hunch but I'd bet that the 3rd down conversion rate can be largely attributed to 3rd downs converted through passes.

Ever the optimist I can see hope that the passing defense will be better:

1. Like you said, we've got a great D-line so there should HOPEFULLY be good pressure from them, especially Wags and Holmes.

2. This years linebacker corps have more historical experience in pass defense as safeties, like Gamboa, Van Ackeren, Strahm, and Lebsock. They're already talking about being able to be better in pass coverage.

3. We've got returning experience with Dennard, Harris, and Hermanson in the secondary, however that could be a good thing or a bad thing... heh... we will see. I'll lean towards a good thing having more experience there.

I like the 3 returning secondary starters, but obviously someone needs to step up as the other safety starter, and there needs to be some good depth. I doubt that McKinney can get to starter quality by the start of next season, but don't know. He seems athletic, quick and fast enough, but we'll see if he can tackle and be physical enough. While tackling and physical play can surely improve and be improved, the basics of tackling and physical play need to be there at the outset. Some kids have it; some don't. UM has certainly had some kids transition from offense to the secondary, and become good players.

I like what I've seen of Rogers too. Big potential. Nice target. Hopefully, he's gaining some strength and bulk in the weight room. May be hard to keep him off the field.

D will be the same or just slightly better, but is will still give up more than 13 points a game.

Stupid subject to be talking about unless you are an NDSU fan, they can talk about defense because they actually put one on the field.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
D will be the same or just slightly better, but is will still give up more than 13 points a game.

Stupid subject to be talking about unless you are an NDSU fan, they can talk about defense because they actually put one on the field.

haha, cute.

Hey I'll be happy if the Grizzly defense gives up 14 points per game. Griz will be in the national title game if that's the case.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Ha ha cute

Hey I will be happy if they keep it under 30 per game.

FWIW, they did better than that in 2013, allowing about 22 points game. So, you think the defense will be worse than last year?

'68griz said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Ha ha cute

Hey I will be happy if they keep it under 30 per game.

FWIW, they did better than that in 2013, allowing about 22 points game. So, you think the defense will be worse than last year?

I noticed that in the playoffs...... :roll:

BWahlberg said:
Hey I'll be happy if the Grizzly defense gives up 14 points per game. Griz will be in the national title game if that's the case.

JJ or not, with the Delaney, et al anchor the Griz will be mired in another season of mediocrity. The Griz will be very lucky to make the playoffs. In my opinion, the only reason they made the playoffs last year, was team history since '94 and ATTENDANCE FIGURE$.

Back