• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring game countdown, player to watch: Marq Rogers

statler & waldorf said:
In my opinion, the only reason they made the playoffs last year, was team history since '94 and ATTENDANCE FIGURE$.
That statement exhibits what your opinion is worth. Can you name a 10-2 team from a major FCS conference that didn't make the playoffs last year?

kemajic said:
statler & waldorf said:
In my opinion, the only reason they made the playoffs last year, was team history since '94 and ATTENDANCE FIGURE$.
That statement exhibits what your opinion is worth. Can you name a 10-2 team from a major FCS conference that didn't make the playoffs last year?

:thumb:

statler & waldorf said:
BWahlberg said:
Hey I'll be happy if the Grizzly defense gives up 14 points per game. Griz will be in the national title game if that's the case.

JJ or not, with the Delaney, et al anchor the Griz will be mired in another season of mediocrity. The Griz will be very lucky to make the playoffs. In my opinion, the only reason they made the playoffs last year, was team history since '94 and ATTENDANCE FIGURE$.

10-2 regular season is mediocre? That's a lock for the playoffs.

Look it wasn't a great season and it was mired in some real close and tense games but many of which came out with a win. AzGrizFan has posted this too, the Griz had the 2nd best offense in the conference! Our defense was middle of the pack and the pass D was bad - but putting all things together it was hardly mediocre.

Was it below expectations? Yes indeed.

BWahlberg said:
grizcountry420 said:
We are still going to get our butts handed to us on defense, which will keep teams in the game. How many more seasons will it take for people to understand that Gregorak is a good linebackers coach but what he learned from Paulson flat out stinks..

"We are still going to get our butts handed to us on defense" - I'm not so sure on that just yet. Liking what I'm seeing so far from the younger guys on defense this spring.

The defense has to step up much more as a complete unit. Last years team was full of talented players but it seemed that what it really lacked was cohesion and playing together as a continual 11-man squad out there. They also fell victim to a system that would, at times, become too passive in it's approach. I think last years game plan was built on the expectation that the 2013 defensive line was going to put as much pressure on the QBs as the 2012 defensive line did. When, in fact, it did not. The 2014 D-line has a lot of familiar faces from the 2013 and 2012 team. I think right the ability for this group to pressure the QB is key to defensive success this season. I would bet that Gregorak has built in a plan to increase pressure from LBs/DBs if the D-line can't provide enough pressure.

Also "flat out stinks" come on... it wasn't top-notch but it also wasn't the worst, looking at 2013's conference only stats:

- 5th (tied) in scoring defense (24 ppg)
- 6th in total defense (395 ypg)
- 3rd in rushing defense (131.5 ypg)
- 11th in pass defense (263.6 ypg) - ouch
- 2nd (tied) in interceptions (12)
- 2nd in sacks (21)
- 6th best in opponent 1st downs allowed (20.1 per game)
- 8th in opponent 3rd down conversion (41.1%)
- 1st in turnover margin (+15)
- 2nd best in Red Zone defense (63% occasion of TDs allowed)

Looking at that, there's some good stuff there, rushing D, sacks, turnovers forced/ratio, interceptions, and red zone defense. There's some stuff that really needs to be improved as well, pass defense (big time), 1st downs allowed, 3rd down conversion %. All of that needs improvement.

However saying the system is terrible & the coach is terrible.... is wrong. It needs improvement to produce a championship team, yes for sure.

As far as putting pressure on the QBs, Gamboa could be a holy terror blitzing off the edge IMO.

CV Griz Fan said:
BWahlberg said:
grizcountry420 said:
We are still going to get our butts handed to us on defense, which will keep teams in the game. How many more seasons will it take for people to understand that Gregorak is a good linebackers coach but what he learned from Paulson flat out stinks..

"We are still going to get our butts handed to us on defense" - I'm not so sure on that just yet. Liking what I'm seeing so far from the younger guys on defense this spring.

The defense has to step up much more as a complete unit. Last years team was full of talented players but it seemed that what it really lacked was cohesion and playing together as a continual 11-man squad out there. They also fell victim to a system that would, at times, become too passive in it's approach. I think last years game plan was built on the expectation that the 2013 defensive line was going to put as much pressure on the QBs as the 2012 defensive line did. When, in fact, it did not. The 2014 D-line has a lot of familiar faces from the 2013 and 2012 team. I think right the ability for this group to pressure the QB is key to defensive success this season. I would bet that Gregorak has built in a plan to increase pressure from LBs/DBs if the D-line can't provide enough pressure.

Also "flat out stinks" come on... it wasn't top-notch but it also wasn't the worst, looking at 2013's conference only stats:

- 2nd in sacks (21)

Looking at that, there's some good stuff there, rushing D, sacks, turnovers forced/ratio, interceptions, and red zone defense. There's some stuff that really needs to be improved as well, pass defense (big time), 1st downs allowed, 3rd down conversion %. All of that needs improvement.

However saying the system is terrible & the coach is terrible.... is wrong. It needs improvement to produce a championship team, yes for sure.

As far as putting pressure on the QBs, Gamboa could be a holy terror blitzing off the edge IMO.

Oh yeah.

As could be Strahm and Lebsock. We've got some real fast OLBs... but they're light too. Could be a mix of good and not-so-good results come game time.

kemajic said:
statler & waldorf said:

How about a 10-2 team from a major FCS conference that didn't make the playoffs in the last 15 years? 20 years? EVER? :roll: :roll:

BWahlberg said:
statler & waldorf said:
BWahlberg said:
Hey I'll be happy if the Grizzly defense gives up 14 points per game. Griz will be in the national title game if that's the case.

JJ or not, with the Delaney, et al anchor the Griz will be mired in another season of mediocrity. The Griz will be very lucky to make the playoffs. In my opinion, the only reason they made the playoffs last year, was team history since '94 and ATTENDANCE FIGURE$.

10-2 regular season is mediocre? That's a lock for the playoffs.

Look it wasn't a great season and it was mired in some real close and tense games but many of which came out with a win. AzGrizFan has posted this too, the Griz had the 2nd best offense in the conference! Our defense was middle of the pack and the pass D was bad - but putting all things together it was hardly mediocre.

Was it below expectations? Yes indeed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And 95% of teams in FCS would be creaming their jeans to go 10-2, NO MATTER the stats...

rimrockgriz said:
WyomingGrizFan said:
rimrockgriz said:
and...you're comparing to Randy Moss ( one of the most talented freaks to EVER step on a football field) ?

HINT:...read my lips:..."all the rave reminds me and hence draws comparisons"...'Would be nice"..."Hope it's not too premature."
Nice try to spin out... I thought for sure you would select some historical rhetoric from Henry VIII or Genghis Khan. I remember you jumping me when I first started posting here. Comparing to Randy Moss is an insult to "any" real football head which you are NOT. ... :egriz: your comparison is based on height and weight...that's f.....g lame dude. Moss was a 2 time W.V player of the year in HOOPS....

Huh? - I "jumped (you) when (you) first started posting here?" To tell you the truth, I have never responded and/or commented on any of your posts since you started. The only instance is: http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62001&p=870658#p870658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ...and that's when you "jumped" me by trying to explain to me what someone else meant by what he was posting; and that turned out to be an erroneous assumption on your part to begin with. This way back 07 June 2013. Talk about holding a grudge over what you stated/started taking it on someone else. Get a grip. And what's all this talk about Henry VIII and Genghis Khan? What's that got to do with the context of the thread to begin with?

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
This BSC isn't a major conference
Agreed.
Only three of the four BSC teams in the playoffs got bounced in their first game, two of them at home. I doubt the selection committee will see the BSC as worthy of this type of representation for quite a while. I would think two teams at best, possibly the two who beat the Griz last year. So going 10-2 might not be a lock. Besides, there is NDSU and Wyoming in the mix, so 8-4 is a more likely result. And, as I stated earlier, there is the Delaney(and staff) factor.

I'll take one more swipe at the dead horse...my 34 oz. Louisville Slugger still hasn't cracked :dead: Even though I despise addressing stat "monkeys"... the posted 8th in third down conversions against our "D" at 41% was lethal. We all knew it was through the air :roll: I think we can improve on that because...f..k, can it get worse? EWU and CC really stick out in my mind, multiplied by their shifty qb's and the blur of my Makers Mark... :twocents: ... :egriz: Problematic with stats is that they encompass Old Pine Box U... I used Charmin to break down that game.

I lauded Marq Rogers on his signing day. He has a lot of potential, obviously. I am one of the countless Griz Fans that are thrilled that he red-shirted, giving him 5 years at UM instead of just 4. He will be a weapon in year 5, compared to year 1. :clap:

Marq Rogers HS QB signed with FBS Ball State the same signing year. The two players gave all the praise for their success to the other player. They both are good players...

Marq has said his favorite part of the game is going up and high pointing the ball in the endzone--I think that would be my favorite part of watching him! :lol:

rimrockgriz said:
I'll take one more swipe at the dead horse...my 34 oz. Louisville Slugger still hasn't cracked :dead: Even though I despise addressing stat "monkeys"... the posted 8th in third down conversions against our "D" at 41% was lethal. We all knew it was through the air :roll: I think we can improve on that because...f..k, can it get worse? EWU and CC really stick out in my mind, multiplied by their shifty qb's and the blur of my Makers Mark... :twocents: ... :egriz: Problematic with stats is that they encompass Old Pine Box U... I used Charmin to break down that game.

I shuddered any time we had a team in 3rd and long....they had us right where they wanted us... :oops: :oops:

BWahlberg said:
Considering the real limited info and coverage this weekend's spring game has had I figured I'd run some daily posts on players and position battles to watch.

A player to keep a close eye on this weekend is #16 Marq Rogers. The RS Frosh wide receiver has continued to impress this spring so far. He was fairly quiet in the first scrimmage, however most of the passing game was. In practice Marq's been the man. He was getting a lot of playing time with the 1st string with Walcott out this spring and Henderson out two weeks ago due to an illness.

JJ and SSH really like Rogers as a target. He's a taller guy at 6-3.5 but what really stands out about this guy is that when I've seen him practice, he catches darn near everything that comes his way. He's deceptively quick for his height too. He's been used in trick plays, short passes, deep passes, and seems to have good success jumping over his coverage on the sidelines.

The guy isn't flawless but is looking to be a contributor this season. He needs to add some muscle, still looks a little thin/light out there. Route running needs to be a little more precise, he's been relying on his size/length and catching to bail him out at times. Run blocking needs improvement.

Rogers could sneak into the group of Hendu, Jones, Walcott, and Haynes and become a WR that starts to contribute this year and ramp up into being a near every down guy once he's into his sophomore season.

what do you see once he catches the ball.........can he find the open field and does he have good speed if he does....this is where we need to have the extra edge to give that added dimension to free up other guys more like walcott etc and give the running game some breathing room.

BWahlberg said:
grizcountry420 said:

- 2nd in sacks (21)

Ah--yes the resident "Voice of Reason"---fortunately we have one! :clap: :thumb:

Back