• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Stitt discusses the Offense

Alaska Griz said:
and this year's Griz should be better offensively, better O-line, and perhaps just as good on defense?
Actually, I think the defense shapes up to be better, but I have yet to be convinced the outputs of Canada, Van and JJ are easily replaced. We need to see some results from this offense before we jump to the conclusion that they will be better.

HookedonGriz said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Thanks for posting that, brewskis.

Have to wonder if Jeremy Calhoun will get some carries if Counts or Favors isn't healthy come fall.

Agree on the OL - good to hear that Stitt likes what he sees there.

And then there's the receiving "core"... :roll: It may be tough for Stitt to keep Daum and Rooks and Calhoun off the field.

Don't forget the Penn St transfer Tyler Lucas. He has one year of football left. Gotta make a splash with it!

Agreed - forgot about Lucas. Stitt must have seen something he liked there.

poorgriz said:
IdaGriz01 said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Have to wonder if Jeremy Calhoun will get some carries if Counts or Favors isn't healthy come fall.

And then there's the receiving "core"... :roll: It may be tough for Stitt to keep Daum and Rooks and Calhoun off the field.
Several points. First, while I liked the "good side" of his comments about the OL, it is worrisome that he doesn't think we have the kind of two-deep line that's really required by his super-fast offense.
Receivers: The videos of his Mines team don't really let you see the whole field that well ... but I get the impression that most plays have a least one guy running his a** off on a deep pattern. It would make sense that he would want to always have a fresh receiver for that option.

Lot's of Stitt "Hoping" for things in that interview. Hoping to find a backup QB, better 2nd string receivers, O line depth, players buying in and "getting it", working hard over the Summer, etc.

I had a long conversation with a griz fan buddy of mine last night over drinks. He is a great fan, but reasonable. He understands that there won't be any "magic" for the griz in 2015, and they will probably struggle in 2015, but should be considerably better in 2016, at least offensively, as long ad you find or develop two great QB's. He also said Stitt really wants a dual threat QB, but just doesn't have one right now that can process plays and throw as well as BG.

Apparently you haven't stopped drinking since last night...

http://schickshadel.com/?utm_source=goog&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=branded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!! I went through it but it didn't take...

The one quote from this article that worries me as a former coach is where Stitt says that we need to improve on the little things like showing up on time and other things. I believe Stitt's system requires discipline and being where you are suppose to be at all times.

He sure didn't seem happy with strength of players....sounded as if his strength coach might get better results than last one. Could go a long way to DOLA and being able to physically stop some teams....maybe Wags poor bench numbers tell more of a story of team strengths than people thought

Ursus1 said:
He sure didn't seem happy with strength of players....sounded as if his strength coach might get better results than last one. Could go a long way to DOLA and being able to physically stop some teams....maybe Wags poor bench numbers tell more of a story of team strengths than people thought
Interesting point. I'd imagine that through Stitt's extensive professional connections he has developed a pretty solid training program. Ton's of question marks on this offense right now, I'm surprised that WR is now one of those positions of concern.

kemajic said:
Alaska Griz said:
and this year's Griz should be better offensively, better O-line, and perhaps just as good on defense?
Actually, I think the defense shapes up to be better, but I have yet to be convinced the outputs of Canada, Van and JJ are easily replaced. We need to see some results from this offense before we jump to the conclusion that they will be better.

The tangible evidence I'm looking at (until the season starts) is that this offense in scrimmage is already moving the ball and scoring on our defense, which I think is comparable to last, while last year's offense was downright dreadful last spring camp, and not impressive in fall camp either. As Stitt noted, the fact that our offense is already finding success against our D is compelling. Not to mention we're moving the ball on the ground.

Ursus1 said:

maybe, I took it as a guy who is a perfectionist and would have been odd to hear him say that everything is fine and dandy, bring on NDSU. I'm personally hoping the o-line all puts on 10 pounds of muscle.

Alaska Griz said:
Ursus1 said:

maybe, I took it as a guy who is a perfectionist and would have been odd to hear him say that everything is fine and dandy, bring on NDSU. I'm personally hoping the o-line all puts on 10 pounds of muscle.

Exactly. Like any new coach worth a stitt is going to say after 3 weeks of ball "oh yeah, everything is hunky dory...we're good to go!"

Classic "coach-speak"....

after reading his interview.........this guy knows his sh*t and what to expect from his players to perform at a level that last years players not still on the team will sadly miss.
from the sounds of it this guy can teach the game to get his players to become equipped to read the field and their direct opposition that only savvy players had before.....which abundantly savvy players has been limited to only a few griz, that i have seen play....ie wags, anderson, murphy, mariani, to name a few of the few.
if he gets 90% out of his offensive players that he is expecting we are going to have one hell of a team.
he will not be easy to defend........so if ty gets his players up to 4th or 5th gear we should be in for a great season and probably be seen in every game as the team to beat......again.

Alaska Griz said:
As Stitt noted, the fact that our offense is already finding success against our D is compelling. Not to mention we're moving the ball on the ground.
It must be frustrating, but at the same time, the rewarding challenge, to be an offensive minded coach coming to a team with such a strong D. If he can beat them, this will be a "Team" and he knows it. I like the notion: the best defense Stitt will likely face, or at least one of the best, is the one he is already playing against.

UMGriz75 said:
Alaska Griz said:
As Stitt noted, the fact that our offense is already finding success against our D is compelling. Not to mention we're moving the ball on the ground.
It must be frustrating, but at the same time, the rewarding challenge, to be an offensive minded coach coming to a team with such a strong D. If he can beat them, this will be a "Team" and he knows it. I like the notion: the best defense Stitt will likely face, or at least one of the best, is the one he is already playing against.
Oh I guarantee he was ecstatic about having an established defense, it allows him to focus on the offense. Considering the pace and energy level he operates, I'd be worried about his health if he was also having to work on getting the defense up to par. Not to say our defense doesn't need improvement, Cal Poly and EWU last year proved that we are still far from where it needs to be...but passable for the majority of the regular season.

I am excited to see some of the freshman class come in and get reps right away. I think the new WR's may find some early success in conference play next year, but I am equally excited about the offensive line recruits.

poorgriz said:
IdaGriz01 said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Several points. First, while I liked the "good side" of his comments about the OL, it is worrisome that he doesn't think we have the kind of two-deep line that's really required by his super-fast offense.
Receivers: The videos of his Mines team don't really let you see the whole field that well ... but I get the impression that most plays have a least one guy running his a** off on a deep pattern. It would make sense that he would want to always have a fresh receiver for that option.

Lot's of Stitt "Hoping" for things in that interview. Hoping to find a backup QB, better 2nd string receivers, O line depth, players buying in and "getting it", working hard over the Summer, etc.

I had a long conversation with a griz fan buddy of mine last night over drinks. He is a great fan, but reasonable. He understands that there won't be any "magic" for the griz in 2015, and they will probably struggle in 2015, but should be considerably better in 2016, at least offensively, as long ad you find or develop two great QB's. He also said Stitt really wants a dual threat QB, but just doesn't have one right now that can process plays and throw as well as BG.
Just a hunch but I'm guessing your "Griz fan" source doesn't know what he's talking about.

So he doesn't want a dual threat QB? Jesus the IQ of this board can be staggering at times. Go ahead and look at how often his QB's ran the ball at CSOM. Notice, I've not once said that the QB being able to run is more important than quick decision making skills and knowing where and accurately getting the ball where it needs to be, but it is important nonetheless. If Stitt ever came out and said, "It makes not difference to me whether or not my QB can run..." then he'd simply be lying because he knows his current guy is not a mobile QB.

poorgriz said:
So he doesn't want a dual threat QB? Jesus the IQ of this board can be staggering at times. Go ahead and look at how often his QB's ran the ball at CSOM. Notice, I've not once said that the QB being able to run is more important than quick decision making skills and knowing where and accurately getting the ball where it needs to be, but it is important nonetheless. If Stidd truly ever came out and said, "It makes not difference to me whether or not my QB can run..." then he'd simply be lying because he knows his current guy is not a mobile QB.

Im really interested in seeing how Gus performs without a red jersey on..

poorgriz said:
So he doesn't want a dual threat QB? Jesus the IQ of this board can be staggering at times. Go ahead and look at how often his QB's ran the ball at CSOM. Notice, I've not once said that the QB being able to run is more important than quick decision making skills and knowing where and accurately getting the ball where it needs to be, but it is important nonetheless. If Stidd truly ever came out and said, "It makes not difference to me whether or not my QB can run..." then he'd simply be lying because he knows his current guy is not a mobile QB.

And if Stitt came out and said he wouldn't want last year's Oregon qb here, he'd be lying too.

We have Nyguen, Logwood, Counts, Favor, Henderson, Jones, Burke, Naccarato, Jensen, to tote the ball. Just to name a few. We need a QB that thinks quickly to get the ball to the said players at the right times not bail out on plays and run. Let the skill players do their jobs not have a hero for a QB......eventually the injury bug shows up for him. IMO if summer drills go as planned the QB position will be a strength not a weakness. Gus is a smart kid and I'm sure that Prater, Simis, and Chalich will get things figured out. Exciting times coming to Missoula :thumb:

AllWeatherFan said:
HookedonGriz said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Don't forget the Penn St transfer Tyler Lucas. He has one year of football left. Gotta make a splash with it!

Agreed - forgot about Lucas. Stitt must have seen something he liked there.

Tyler Lucas tweeted, "Watching #DraftAcademy on ESPN gets me pumped for my senior year of football."

Tyler Lucas

57KVCgu3.jpeg

grizcountry420 said:
poorgriz said:

Im really interested in seeing how Gus performs without a red jersey on..

Me too. Be nice to see him break some of those runs rather than blowing the play dead as soon as he gets loose.

Back