• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Stitt Not Messing Around

AZGrizFan said:
let's be honest....98% of these guys were camp fodder anyways.... ;)

azgrizfan is more right than not.. in the recent past,,,i do believe stitt will begin to change that starting now....if we are going to be relevant on the national level...

He's making a statement by setting the bar higher than it has been these last few years. Stack the offense with talent at each position, this thing is going to be a machine in a few years.

You have to respect that he is in it to win it. No question he is loading the team for what he wants and expects from the players. No excuses.

alabamagrizzly said:
Fahque said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Fahque said:
How does Marq Rogers go from being the stud he was in camp as a true freshman to getting cut? Kind of a shocker there.
He had a good hype man.
Don't think so. I watched him in camp his freshman year. Dude caught nearly everything. Even in the middle of the field where he knew he was going to get leveled.
Realistically, injuries. Can't stay healthy enough to get on the feild. He would be a Jr this year and we're all still waiting to see him play. Hopefully he gets something worked out somewhere cus he deffenetly has the ability to play.

Injuries and possibly inability (?) to add bulk/muscle. Rogers was always a thin and smaller looking guy. I had a WR who was injured last year tell me that if Rogers could "put some weight and muscle on" he could become real good. I can't help but wonder if his injuries came at the expense of just not having his body respond to training that would prevent them.

He had 1 great camp and vanished after that. Sadly it's happened before... in fact it's happened in many camps. Sean Haynes could be a guy that you could say had the same fate. There was a kid from Great Falls, think his name was Tony Kazmericzak (sp? - and not sure on 1st name), he played for Bobby, same kind of thing, a great spring camp one year but injuries all the time forced him to retire early. Obviously the injury issues don't speak to the character of these kids. I know the team held Haynes in high regard, I would assume the same with Rogers.

BWahlberg said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Fahque said:
alabamagrizzly said:
He had a good hype man.
Don't think so. I watched him in camp his freshman year. Dude caught nearly everything. Even in the middle of the field where he knew he was going to get leveled.
Realistically, injuries. Can't stay healthy enough to get on the feild. He would be a Jr this year and we're all still waiting to see him play. Hopefully he gets something worked out somewhere cus he deffenetly has the ability to play.

Injuries and possibly inability (?) to add bulk/muscle. Rogers was always a thin and smaller looking guy. I had a WR who was injured last year tell me that if Rogers could "put some weight and muscle on" he could become real good. I can't help but wonder if his injuries came at the expense of just not having his body respond to training that would prevent them.

He had 1 great camp and vanished after that. Sadly it's happened before... in fact it's happened in many camps. Sean Haynes could be a guy that you could say had the same fate. There was a kid from Great Falls, think his name was Tony Kazmericzak (sp? - and not sure on 1st name), he played for Bobby, same kind of thing, a great spring camp one year but injuries all the time forced him to retire early. Obviously the injury issues don't speak to the character of these kids. I know the team held Haynes in high regard, I would assume the same with Rogers.
There was also the kid from Spokane. Roberts I think his name was, any coach would tell you he would have been a flat out star if he didn't tear both of his ACL's.

The NCAA keeps statistics on sports injuries, but they make it very difficult to access that information. What I could found is pretty old (7-8 years), and does not address the issue of "career ending" injuries. (Neither for females athletes nor males). (BTW: according to those old stats, "Football players are nearly seven times more likely to be injured during a game than in practice.")

I could not find any numbers on how many schools "honor" ("waste," in their view) a scholarship on a kid who can no longer play. My impression is ... not very many. Certainly there does not seem to be any NCAA policy/recommendation in that regard -- despite their professed "concern" for the student athlete.

Side issue: That's one of the reason why I hate it when posters "call out" specific players here on eGriz. These young people are, truly, risking a lifetime of healthy living on the chance to play college sports. Yes, those on scholarship do get a "free" education, but the risk -- especially for the "rougher" sports -- is always there. They have to put it out of their minds ... but we shouldn't/

bgbigdog said:
Not too certain that this is it for changes. If my math is correct the article mentioned 78 guys on the roster and 21 or more coming in. (I thought there were 21 inbound from the original announcement and four or five added since). 95 is the limit for fall camp, to increase by ten when the season starts. Seems like a dumb rule, oh wait... its the NC2A, never mind. Would't think Stitt is done "tinkering" with the roster by any means.

78 guys on the roster, 21 signed, 6 more added since, equals the 105 maximum.

So that means 10 of these players will not be able to participate in fall drills (which only allow 95), they will have to join the team after fall camp.

As far as more cuts, Stitt said, "You're trying to always make your program better," Stitt said, explaining the roster moves. "If we can find somebody late that has the potential to help us, (they can take the spot of) a lot of these kids that have been in the program a year or two and maybe haven't progressed the way we'd like."

Tony Kazmierczak indeed is from Thompson Falls. The family is pretty well entrenched and respected in T Falls through quite a few years. Great family, and Tony is doing just fine. He still attends GRIZ games with much of their family. Too bad he had a series of injuries, and a DUI, good kid with a lot of talent. I am not sure who recalls Thompson Falls football in the mid 80's, but his uncle, Henry was 1 of the best RB's and LB's in the state. Henry could have easily played for the GRIZ and done well. For whatever reasons, he chose not to pursue the spotlight of GRIZ football though.

mtgrizrule said:
Tony Kazmierczak indeed is from Thompson Falls. The family is pretty well entrenched and respected in T Falls through quite a few years. Great family, and Tony is doing just fine. He still attends GRIZ games with much of their family. Too bad he had a series of injuries, and a DUI, good kid with a lot of talent. I am not sure who recalls Thompson Falls football in the mid 80's, but his uncle, Henry was 1 of the best RB's and LB's in the state. Henry could have easily played for the GRIZ and done well. For whatever reasons, he chose not to pursue the spotlight of GRIZ football though.

:thumb:

I have a problem with Carver being left off after I heard the reasoning behind it. Supposedly he had to get knee surgery and missed all of spring ball. That means that Stitt didn't even give him a chance and just let him go. I felt like Carver was a great player and could possibly be the #2 behind Ellis (without transfers) after the limited time he had last year as a RS freshman. I feel that Stitt sets a bad presedence with that move by showing that if you get hurt you aren't going to be on the team.
Also Rogers being released blows me away as I saw him doing big things for the Griz. Stitt is not very popular with me and I wish nothing but the best for those two young men.

Joemt50 said:
I have a problem with Carver being left off after I heard the reasoning behind it. Supposedly he had to get knee surgery and missed all of spring ball. That means that Stitt didn't even give him a chance and just let him go. I felt like Carver was a great player and could possibly be the #2 behind Ellis (without transfers) after the limited time he had last year as a RS freshman. I feel that Stitt sets a bad presedence with that move by showing that if you get hurt you aren't going to be on the team.
Also Rogers being released blows me away as I saw him doing big things for the Griz. Stitt is not very popular with me and I wish nothing but the best for those two young men.

I think Rogers left voluntarily.

MrTitleist said:
Joemt50 said:

I think Rogers left voluntarily.

Rumor has it that he wanted to pursue basketball closer to home.

Joemt50 said:

Thank you for the input, Mr. Carver. :cool:

This isn't Mr. Carver I just had followed the kid in high school and wanted to see him succeed. Maybe releasing him was the right move, I just had heard it was from an injury which is unfortunate. Again, I hope for the best for him and the Rogers kid.

Not sure if it was mentioned, but heard the younger weyer from bozeman was also cut

Back