• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Stitt Not Messing Around

nwf, they were NOT scholarship players. What difference does it make if schools guarantee scholarships when they haven't even been awarded?

Man, cat fans are dense.

EverettGriz said:
nwf, they were NOT scholarship players. What difference does it make if schools guarantee scholarships when they haven't even been awarded?

Man, cat fans are dense.

I don't have a problem with what Stitt did at all. He's going to run his program how he wants to run it. However, if I'm recruiting, I may point out that Montana cut 15 kids after spring ball, though. He's already had a few issues with HS coaches, right? I find it interesting.

The 4-year scholarship stuff was in reply to AZGriz, who clearly has no idea about "big-time" football and the changes going on in terms of how student-athletes are "compensated" via guaranteed scholarships, along with medical care even after they get injured for the duration of their eligibility. I was being mocked by a few ignorant fans, so I replied with facts and logic. Those things are still OK here, right? :D

PhxGriz said:
NorthwestFresh said:
AZGrizFan said:
b) what proof do you have that "big time" football programs honor scholarships for all 4 years?

Gee, maybe 'Bama, the Big 10, the Big 12, and the Pac 12 aren't "big time" programs like the University of Montana. A bunch of small-time fans who only watch small-time football is what I read every time I visit this place. I also have to laugh how Stitt is the greatest coach ever and has great ideas, when he's literally never coached about the D-2 level prior to taking on one of the biggest jobs in FCS.

Pac-12 passes reforms for athletes, including guaranteed 4-year scholarships

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11775571/pac-12-passes-athlete-reforms-including-guaranteed-4-year-scholarships" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Report: Saban to offer 4-year scholarships at Alabama

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/02/report_saban_to_offer_4-year_s.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Big Ten to guarantee scholarships for 4 years

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11666316/big-ten-guarantees-four-year-scholarships-student-athletes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Big 12 to offer longer scholarships to cover all years of student-athlete eligibility

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11964788/big-12-cover-full-cost-student-athlete-attendance-offer-multiyear-scholarships" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The lack of football knowledge here is embarrassing. So much for the "vast majority" of big-time programs using 1-year scholarships, eh AZGriz?

Merely a flesh wound!

Scholarship allocation and the length of the scholarships should always be the decision of each program and each school. More power to those who choose to allocate 4 years off the bat. Where is the motivation for those athletes to continue improving and stay out of trouble? Each commitment has advantages and disadvantages. I feel programs choosing to commit 4 years from the get go is an awful risk.

mtgrizrule said:
Scholarship allocation and the length of the scholarships should always be the decision of each program and each school. More power to those who choose to allocate 4 years off the bat. Where is the motivation for those athletes to continue improving and stay out of trouble? Each commitment has advantages and disadvantages. I feel programs choosing to commit 4 years from the get go is an awful risk.

That's all well and good, but to compete at the FBS level these days, elite programs are guaranteeing scholarships. UM (along with every other FCS program) doesn't have the athletic endowment to subsidize 4-year scholarships with only 63 scholarships, let alone moving up to 85 scholarships.

NWfresh, you are aware that the Bobcats cut players every single year. It has been widely discussed that the Cats are currently way over their roster limit and that some current players will not be back next season? If you weren't aware that MSU is over it's fall camp roster limit right now, well, now you are :thumb:

Perhaps Northwest will be known from now on as "NorthwestSour"

Another snat cat grinder...

havgrizfan said:
NWfresh, you are aware that the Bobcats cut players every single year. It has been widely discussed that the Cats are currently way over their roster limit and that some current players will not be back next season? If you weren't aware that MSU is over it's fall camp roster limit right now, well, now you are :thumb:

I'm replying to posters who are applauding Stitt for cutting 15 guys right after spring practice, and offering a counter opinion to it.

So far in doing so, and without once bashing Stitt, I've been called a "sh*thead," had another poster ask my post be deleted, had AZGriz fan expose his ignorance about "big-time" football, and have received the usual slams about being a Bobcat. None of which addresses the actual point until you did so, so congrats! There is a rational egriz poster!

NorthwestFresh said:
havgrizfan said:

I'm replying to posters who are applauding Stitt for cutting 15 guys right after spring practice, and offering a counter opinion to it.

So far in doing so, and without once bashing Stitt, I've been called a "sh*thead," had another poster ask my post be deleted, had AZGriz fan expose his ignorance about "big-time" football, and have received the usual slams about being a Bobcat. None of which addresses the actual point until you did so, so congrats! There is a rational egriz poster!

I'm still not sure why anyone is comparing Griz football with "big-time" football...

grizindabox said:
NorthwestFresh said:
havgrizfan said:

I'm still not sure why anyone is comparing Griz football with "big-time" football...

Its pretty big time in my book!!

Hammer said:

Heck yeah! The Griz are one of the best programs in FCS/1-AA history, and are building more elite facilities compared to other FCS schools.

What's wrong with being that program?

NorthwestFresh said:
Hammer said:

Heck yeah! The Griz are one of the best programs in FCS/1-AA history, and are building more elite facilities compared to other FCS schools.

But are they still that program?

I think the number has more to do with a new coach, new philosophy and getting players that fit his system. The 15 he cut he didn't feel were a fit and he understands the passion and demands that Montana has and he is not waiting a few years to get the ball rolling. The more of his recruits he gets in the door the less "cuts" we will see in years to come

NorthwestFresh said:
AZGrizFan said:
b) what proof do you have that "big time" football programs honor scholarships for all 4 years?

Gee, maybe 'Bama, the Big 10, the Big 12, and the Pac 12 aren't "big time" programs like the University of Montana. A bunch of small-time fans who only watch small-time football is what I read every time I visit this place. I also have to laugh how Stitt is the greatest coach ever and has great ideas, when he's literally never coached about the D-2 level prior to taking on one of the biggest jobs in FCS.

Pac-12 passes reforms for athletes, including guaranteed 4-year scholarships

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11775571/pac-12-passes-athlete-reforms-including-guaranteed-4-year-scholarships" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Report: Saban to offer 4-year scholarships at Alabama

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/02/report_saban_to_offer_4-year_s.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Big Ten to guarantee scholarships for 4 years

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11666316/big-ten-guarantees-four-year-scholarships-student-athletes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Big 12 to offer longer scholarships to cover all years of student-athlete eligibility

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11964788/big-12-cover-full-cost-student-athlete-attendance-offer-multiyear-scholarships" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The lack of football knowledge here is embarrassing. So much for the "vast majority" of big-time programs using 1-year scholarships, eh AZGriz?

Good for you. Even a broke clock is right twice a day. You're living proof of that. :roll:

Edit: And, for the record, I couldn't give two shits about "big time" football. Until such time as we actually start playing it.

EverettGriz said:

Man, cat fans are dense.

It's facts like THIS that don't apply to NWFresh's logic.

HelenaHandBasket said:
NorthwestFresh said:
Hammer said:

But are they still that program?

No, but the griz used to be awesome.

SaskGriz said:
NorthwestFresh said:
krammer said:
this is called welcome to BIG time football....produce or your down the road...which is really the way it should be imo.....

Most "BIG time" football conferences are now guaranteeing scholarships for 4 years, with a fifth if the student-athlete is on track to graduate.

Stitt obviously doesn't follow that model. How that impacts the program, who knows, but I do like how it has the players nervous about their place on the team at all times. I wonder how cutting 15 players after spring camp will impact recruiting. If Stitt really is going to weed out guys after a year or two who don't produce to his specifications, I can see other programs using this against the Griz in living rooms and dinner tables.

The other side of that coin is that you may be able to attract more elite players who know they won't be stuck behind dead weight.

This is a garbage post and should be deleted.

You are not a mod so STFU

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
SaskGriz said:
NorthwestFresh said:
krammer said:
this is called welcome to BIG time football....produce or your down the road...which is really the way it should be imo.....

Most "BIG time" football conferences are now guaranteeing scholarships for 4 years, with a fifth if the student-athlete is on track to graduate.

Stitt obviously doesn't follow that model. How that impacts the program, who knows, but I do like how it has the players nervous about their place on the team at all times. I wonder how cutting 15 players after spring camp will impact recruiting. If Stitt really is going to weed out guys after a year or two who don't produce to his specifications, I can see other programs using this against the Griz in living rooms and dinner tables.

The other side of that coin is that you may be able to attract more elite players who know they won't be stuck behind dead weight.

This is a garbage post and should be deleted.

You are not a mod so STFU

Well since you told me to I guess I better. :roll:

Back