• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Stitt Not Messing Around

AZGrizFan said:
Joemt50 said:
I have a problem with Carver being left off after I heard the reasoning behind it. Supposedly he had to get knee surgery and missed all of spring ball. That means that Stitt didn't even give him a chance and just let him go. I felt like Carver was a great player and could possibly be the #2 behind Ellis (without transfers) after the limited time he had last year as a RS freshman. I feel that Stitt sets a bad presedence with that move by showing that if you get hurt you aren't going to be on the team.
Also Rogers being released blows me away as I saw him doing big things for the Griz. Stitt is not very popular with me and I wish nothing but the best for those two young men.

Thank you for the input, Mr. Carver. :cool:

Keep in mind, some of these kids could be asked back after the school year begins. The question is which ones will stay at the U of M to come back?

Don't know if it means he is still with the team but Weyer QB is one of the 78 listed on GoGriz.com roster.

armonte said:
Don't know if it means he is still with the team but Weyer QB is one of the 78 listed on GoGriz.com roster.

I thought I had heard they were moving him to a different position also.

krammer said:
this is called welcome to BIG time football....produce or your down the road...which is really the way it should be imo.....

Most "BIG time" football conferences are now guaranteeing scholarships for 4 years, with a fifth if the student-athlete is on track to graduate.

Stitt obviously doesn't follow that model. How that impacts the program, who knows, but I do like how it has the players nervous about their place on the team at all times. I wonder how cutting 15 players after spring camp will impact recruiting. If Stitt really is going to weed out guys after a year or two who don't produce to his specifications, I can see other programs using this against the Griz in living rooms and dinner tables.

The other side of that coin is that you may be able to attract more elite players who know they won't be stuck behind dead weight.

NorthwestFresh said:
krammer said:
this is called welcome to BIG time football....produce or your down the road...which is really the way it should be imo.....

Most "BIG time" football conferences are now guaranteeing scholarships for 4 years, with a fifth if the student-athlete is on track to graduate.

Stitt obviously doesn't follow that model. How that impacts the program, who knows, but I do like how it has the players nervous about their place on the team at all times. I wonder how cutting 15 players after spring camp will impact recruiting. If Stitt really is going to weed out guys after a year or two who don't produce to his specifications, I can see other programs using this against the Griz in living rooms and dinner tables.

I understand you're an msu grad, and reading comprehension is an advanced skill for you. But you realize that all of these players (with the exception of Rogers, whom many claim left on his own accord due to injuries) were walk-ons?

I don't think Stitt will cut this many kids every year, you really need to wait a couple years. Delaney held onto kids that did not appear to be contributors, partially because I think he was trying first and foremost t restore the reputation of the team as much as win a championship. Delaney did a great job. Now...Stitt has a lot more pressure and if he holds onto dead weight with an already reduced number of scholarships, he is making it harder on himself and his team to succeed. I actually would have been a little disappointed if he hadn't trimmed the fat off the roster because my thinking was in line with what he ended up doing, not to mention it's a numbers game and the goal is to get the best talent.

NorthwestFresh said:
krammer said:

The other side of that coin is that you may be able to attract more elite players who know they won't be stuck behind dead weight.

a) if a player is worried about being to produce up to the coaches specifications then I'm not sure he's cut out to be a Griz anyways
b) what proof do you have that "big time" football programs honor scholarships for all 4 years? Most (in fact, the vast majority) of programs administer scollies on a year-to-year basis...

NorthwestFresh said:
krammer said:

This is a garbage post and should be deleted.

SaskGriz said:
NorthwestFresh said:
krammer said:

Nah, that'd be a very bcn way of doing things. Here, we just leave the post up so everyone can get a sense of the shitheads that graduate from that school. We feel it's our civic duty.

EverettGriz said:
SaskGriz said:
NorthwestFresh said:
krammer said:

Nah, that'd be a very bcn way of doing things. Here, we just leave the post up so everyone can get a sense of the shitheads that graduate from that school. We feel it's our civic duty.

8afd4cd5-24b1-4453-80ed-591faff86aad.gif

NorthwestFresh said:
Well it would definitely have to work better than showing them "Blue Bobcat Cup" and "C-A-T-S" videos or showing them pictures of the fishing pond near your stadium. Consider it a gift from Stitt to our little brothers.

I like the message! It states, " if you plan on playing football in college and want discipline and a no excuses atmosphere, then Montana is a place for you. If you want to go to college on a scholarship, you have to earn it!" Now if you get a scholarship from another school other than Montana and want to go to just fulfill the scholarship, please go! Also, just because you are an in-state high school football hero for your home town, doesn't mean you are cut out to play at this level and receive an automatic qualifier based on that. Performance really is important!
I bet Stitt would have been a good Military Training Instructor. However, all this is no more than here say and speculation, he hasn't coached a down yet and the Griz are 0-0.

AZGrizFan said:
b) what proof do you have that "big time" football programs honor scholarships for all 4 years?

Gee, maybe 'Bama, the Big 10, the Big 12, and the Pac 12 aren't "big time" programs like the University of Montana. A bunch of small-time fans who only watch small-time football is what I read every time I visit this place. I also have to laugh how Stitt is the greatest coach ever and has great ideas, when he's literally never coached about the D-2 level prior to taking on one of the biggest jobs in FCS.

Pac-12 passes reforms for athletes, including guaranteed 4-year scholarships

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11775571/pac-12-passes-athlete-reforms-including-guaranteed-4-year-scholarships" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Report: Saban to offer 4-year scholarships at Alabama

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/02/report_saban_to_offer_4-year_s.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Big Ten to guarantee scholarships for 4 years

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11666316/big-ten-guarantees-four-year-scholarships-student-athletes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Big 12 to offer longer scholarships to cover all years of student-athlete eligibility

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11964788/big-12-cover-full-cost-student-athlete-attendance-offer-multiyear-scholarships" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The lack of football knowledge here is embarrassing. So much for the "vast majority" of big-time programs using 1-year scholarships, eh AZGriz?

garizzalies said:
Why would a cat fan be embarrassed by a Griz board?

Because of the lack of any knowledge outside of the Grizzly bubble. It's embarrassing to be associated with in it as a native Montanan. AZGriz clearly knows nothing about "big-time" football, and how it's changing, so he simply made something up.

NorthwestFresh said:
AZGrizFan said:
b) what proof do you have that "big time" football programs honor scholarships for all 4 years?

Gee, maybe 'Bama, the Big 10, the Big 12, and the Pac 12 aren't "big time" programs like the University of Montana. A bunch of small-time fans who only watch small-time football is what I read every time I visit this place. I also have to laugh how Stitt is the greatest coach ever and has great ideas, when he's literally never coached about the D-2 level prior to taking on one of the biggest jobs in FCS.

Pac-12 passes reforms for athletes, including guaranteed 4-year scholarships

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11775571/pac-12-passes-athlete-reforms-including-guaranteed-4-year-scholarships" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Report: Saban to offer 4-year scholarships at Alabama

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/02/report_saban_to_offer_4-year_s.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Big Ten to guarantee scholarships for 4 years

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11666316/big-ten-guarantees-four-year-scholarships-student-athletes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Big 12 to offer longer scholarships to cover all years of student-athlete eligibility

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11964788/big-12-cover-full-cost-student-athlete-attendance-offer-multiyear-scholarships" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The lack of football knowledge here is embarrassing. So much for the "vast majority" of big-time programs using 1-year scholarships, eh AZGriz?

Merely a flesh wound!

Back