• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sun belt looking at coastal carolina and eku

CDAGRIZ said:
GoldenEagle said:
grizzies, don't worry too much. You will always have a place in the tier 2 BSC.

Can you imagine the things that would have to happen for EWU to move up? I mean, holy shit! Nowhere near ready for anything at all.

I can't think of one thing they have that WOULD be in order for a move up.

Must suck knowing at some point you could be left behind.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Just refresh my memory, but where did Eagle Beau coach prior to Cheney? It must have been some FBS power school, right?

He was the head coach at CWU for one year (2007) before getting the head coaching job at EWU. He was an assistant at CWU from 94-02. I think he became an assistant coach one year after his college career ended in 93. I guess you could claim he doesn't have the head coaching experience compared to the 15 years your new coach spent at a DII school.

GoldenEagle said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Just refresh my memory, but where did Eagle Beau coach prior to Cheney? It must have been some FBS power school, right?

He was the head coach at CWU for one year (2007) before getting the head coaching job at EWU. He was an assistant at CWU from 94-02. I think he became an assistant coach one year after his college career ended in 93. I guess you could claim he doesn't have the head coaching experience compared to the 15 years your new coach spent at a DII school.

What's a CWU?

CDAGRIZ said:
GoldenEagle said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

What's a CWU?

That is the DII team from Ellensburg WA that took the griz to the limit a few years back.

GoldenEagle said:
CDAGRIZ said:
GoldenEagle said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

What's a CWU?

That is the DII team from Ellensburg WA that took the griz to the limit a few years back.

Thanks! Wow, to the limit even . . .
When are they breaking ground on that Gatewood thing?

EverettGriz said:
When everyone else has moved up, would an ewooer please turn out the FCS lights?

Thanks.

Haha! Don't worry, they will win a few NCs when there are about 5 teams in the FCS and come straight to eGriz.com to post about it, like a dog killing a bird and showing it to his master.

GoldenEagle said:
CDAGRIZ said:
GoldenEagle said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

What's a CWU?

They didn't beat Montana, even though they had a QB from Montana, but they did beat MSU. In neither year was Baldwin the HC.

So what ever happened to Fullertons idea of the BSC becoming an FBS conference or was it split FBS and FCS? If UI and UNM get the boot from the SBS to have say Costal or EKU, where to UI and UNM go? I think the only place they could would be the BSC.

The east coast has the SBC as that transition conference. The west coast used to have the WAC. With the WAC dead for football, that leaves no transition FBS conf on the west coast. There is no way the MWC will be that transition conference, which I think is needed and healthy really.

If Fullerton could pull this off I would support it. It certainly would open the door up for better scheduling for the Griz in being able to schedule non conference games with MWC teams and maybe even a PAC 12 team on occasion. I could see the Cougs or Beavs be willing to come play a game in Missoula. This coukd also open up the door for possible invite at some point to the MWC.

I think for this to work Fullerton would need to look to the Dakotas to add schools that might be more ready to be FBS more quickly than some in the BSC.

Inspector Griz said:
So what ever happened to Fullertons idea of the BSC becoming an FBS conference or was it split FBS and FCS? If UI and UNM get the boot from the SBS to have say Costal or EKU, where to UI and UNM go? I think the only place they could would be the BSC.

The east coast has the SBC as that transition conference. The west coast used to have the WAC. With the WAC dead for football, that leaves no transition FBS conf on the west coast. There is no way the MWC will be that transition conference, which I think is needed and healthy really.

If Fullerton could pull this off I would support it. It certainly would open the door up for better scheduling for the Griz in being able to schedule non conference games with MWC teams and maybe even a PAC 12 team on occasion. I could see the Cougs or Beavs be willing to come play a game in Missoula. This coukd also open up the door for possible invite at some point to the MWC.

I think for this to work Fullerton would need to look to the Dakotas to add schools that might be more ready to be FBS more quickly than some in the BSC.

Unfortunately for everyone, the Big Sky Conference only has 2 schools (not counting Idaho because of their SBC tie in with football) even close for minimum level fan support. Those teams are Montana and Montana State. How would the BSC get to 6 teams for football, cable of FBS level support? The only way I see it would be adding NDSU, SDSU, SD, and New Mexico State. The FBS division would be Montana, Montana State, NDSU, Idaho (if they came aboard in football), NMSU, and SDSU, even then that is pushing it.

Cal Poly and Davis, are close if they could slightly increase their support.

Sac State and PSU, have the geographic areas, but need a lot more fan support and facility upgrades (especially basketball where each has a joke for their home courts).

Weber State has the basketball program, nice facilities, but could they ever get to 15k in average football attendance?

EWU has solid programs, but not much more too offer. Maybe a realistic EWU fan fill us in, what
changes would be needed for them to realistically be FBS worthy. I just don't know if they can ever have the consistent attendance. That market is pretty dry with Idaho, WSU, and Gonzaga (basketball) competing for fans. Then again, if EWU fielded consistent contending teams as they do now, would being considered FBS be enough to push some attendance and interest their way in that area?

NAU is in a market area in which they could get more fan support, and I feel could be a dark horse for FBS consideration.

Idaho State is on an upswing, but can they maintain it to earn the necessary fan support? Can they afford to get new facilities?

UND and USD are solid candidates, like NAU is it possible for them to get the needed fan support for attendance figures?

Alternative options:
U of Nebraska Omaha (UNO). That would make sense for geographical expansion to go with the Dakota schools. They are in a great market. Additional media options and connections. With the Huskers selling out every game, and Omaha's population, with clever scheduling not to conflict with Husker games, this would work. They already have solid support within the community. The BSC would be a step up for them, and would help them with attendance. Plus this is a solid academic school. I feel UNO is a no brainer decision. I honestly have no idea why the conference has not considered them? This addition also gives the conference a huge footprint for a foundation.

Grand Canyon University, U of Denver, and U of Seattle for basketball only. I am hoping any combination of them would add football. I know quite of few UOD graduates who strongly support UOD adding football. They already have solid corporate support from around Denver. Adding football would only increase that support. They have well off alumni. Grand Canyon University is in the heart of Phoenix. Has a terrific basketball facility, and is a growing university. With time, they can be a solid athletic school. They have a terrific Sports Management program. As for Seattle, I really am not too familiar with them, maybe someone who is familiar with them can add to their situation and potential.

Also with the welfare and volatility of Div 1 athletics as we know today, this kind of strategic move would really make sense. It would give the conference a few good sized markets (hate to say it the Portland and Sacramento markets are keys for this to work at it's best). This strengthens the conference in basketball. Academically, the additions of UNO, and Denver would be terrific. UNO and Denver also would be terrific and getting more corporate support for the conference. There are plenty of national and regional businesses in those market areas.

I feel these are realistic things for the conference to consider, and doing any combination of these things would better the conference. What do others think?

CDAGRIZ said:
GoldenEagle said:
CDAGRIZ said:
GoldenEagle said:
grizzies, don't worry too much. You will always have a place in the tier 2 BSC.

Can you imagine the things that would have to happen for EWU to move up? I mean, holy shit! Nowhere near ready for anything at all.

What do you think will happen when the EAGS get their stadium expansion and keep rolling in the BSC?

The same thing that happens when the PAC calls UM and says, "USC is fucking out, and you guys are fucking in," and then AC/DC flies over WAGRIZ playing "Thunderstruck" on the backs of unicorns that shit ice cream and piss beer, and everyone in the crowd is super pumped because we are up 34 on LSU with 6:00 minutes to play and Les Miles says WAGRIZ is the loudest stadium he's ever been in, whilst shivering from the cold.
Hahahaha!! Beautiful!

That post gave me an erection.

getgrizzy said:
Eastern just got a $74.3 million donation for the football stadium. http://www.goeags.com

Do you have a link to the story, or are you just trying to get people to go to EWU's Athletics page?

CDAGRIZ said:
getgrizzy said:
Eastern just got a $74.3 million donation for the football stadium. http://www.goeags.com

Do you have a link to the story, or are you just trying to get people to go to EWU's Athletics page?

You know the answer. only question left ...is getgrizzy also bigsky33 or whatever the fuck his name is?

Latest posts

Back