• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sun belt looking at coastal carolina and eku

jodcon said:
CDAGRIZ said:
getgrizzy said:
Eastern just got a $74.3 million donation for the football stadium. http://www.goeags.com

Do you have a link to the story, or are you just trying to get people to go to EWU's Athletics page?

You know the answer. only question left ...is getgrizzy also bigsky33 or whatever the fuck his name is?

Highly likely. I think most of the Cat fan screen names are one dude.

getgrizzy said:
Eastern just got a $74.3 million donation for the football stadium. http://www.goeags.com

That would be odd. Alumni? I guess they did just raise the fast food workers wage didn't they?

Alternative options:
U of Nebraska Omaha (UNO). That would make sense for geographical expansion to go with the Dakota schools. They are in a great market. Additional media options and connections. With the Huskers selling out every game, and Omaha's population, with clever scheduling not to conflict with Husker games, this would work. They already have solid support within the community. The BSC would be a step up for them, and would help them with attendance. Plus this is a solid academic school. I feel UNO is a no brainer decision. I honestly have no idea why the conference has not considered them? This addition also gives the conference a huge footprint for a foundation.

Don't want to burst any bubbles ...

News from the flatlands of Nebraska

UNO recently (2011) moved up to Div 1 with new AD Trev Alberts. he DROPPED the Football and Wrestling programs.

side note - the Wrestling team got the news while at the tournament which the program won its third consecutive Division II national championship.

from CBS Sports Posted on: March 15, 2011 1:02 pm
You will care further knowing that one of the butchers in this case is Trev Alberts. Yep, the old Nebraska star is UNO's AD. You might remember him as the ESPN football analyst whose ego allowed him to throw away one of the plum jobs in broadcasting. Alberts was hired a few years ago because of his name. It certainly wasn't his AD experience, of which there was none. The affected athletes and coaches are understandably in shock. Nine football coaches are suddenly out on the street. National champion wrestlers picked up the trophy, then got kicked in the butt.

Maybe it was inevitable. UNO football always struggled because it played in Nebraska's shadow. By moving up, UNO couldn't afford the addition of the 27 scholarships it would take to play in Division I-AA. Alberts said the average I-AA program loses $1.7 million. Alberts added that the reliance on subsidies (like student fees) for the athletic department was reaching critical mass. We'll take him at his word since he has been so up front with us to this point.

FlanderGriz

Alternative options:
U of Nebraska Omaha (UNO). That would make sense for geographical expansion to go with the Dakota schools. They are in a great market. Additional media options and connections. With the Huskers selling out every game, and Omaha's population, with clever scheduling not to conflict with Husker games, this would work. They already have solid support within the community. The BSC would be a step up for them, and would help them with attendance. Plus this is a solid academic school. I feel UNO is a no brainer decision. I honestly have no idea why the conference has not considered them? This addition also gives the conference a huge footprint for a foundation.

UNO recently (2011) moved up to Div 1 with new AD Trev Alberts. he DROPPED the Football and Wrestling programs.

side note - the Wrestling team got the news while at the tournament which the program won its third consecutive Division II national championship.

You will care further knowing that one of the butchers in this case is Trev Alberts. Yep, the old Nebraska star is UNO's AD. You might remember him as the ESPN football analyst whose ego allowed him to throw away one of the plum jobs in broadcasting. Alberts was hired a few years ago because of his name. It certainly wasn't his AD experience, of which there was none. The affected athletes and coaches are understandably in shock. Nine football coaches are suddenly out on the street. National champion wrestlers picked up the trophy, then got kicked in the butt.

Maybe it was inevitable. UNO football always struggled because it played in Nebraska's shadow. By moving up, UNO couldn't afford the addition of the 27 scholarships it would take to play in Division I-AA. Alberts said the average I-AA program loses $1.7 million. Alberts added that the reliance on subsidies (like student fees) for the athletic department was reaching critical mass. We'll take him at his word since he has been so up front with us to this point.

FlanderGriz

Alternative options:

FlanderGriz

It may be a coincidence that UNO is Engstrom's alma mater.

Our leader Fullerton tried to teach us that bringing small colleges from within the shadow of big schools in populated areas into the BSC would be its savior. Certainly the success of Portland St., Sac St., UC Davis and UNC have been benchmarks. Surprisingly, he still has his job and now admits whoever applies. Alberts did make one contribution in his note that the average FCS program loses $1.7 MM. No surprise.

And you guys were poking fun about Meth/Cheney and EWU...Here's Cheney's Meth house and what was in it...now it's in trust earmarked for the Gateway project!

images

cash.jpg

Obz, in all seriousness, is that project any further along? I honestly hope it happens. With your successes and abilities to recruit, it would be nice if Ewoo was prepared to make the FBS move when it comes.

get'em_griz said:
mtgrizfankb said:
By passing us by you mean becoming irrelevant and going from a winning tradition to a losing one. Then i guess your right. Neither of those teams could build a team to.compete in the fbs. We all know it.

Georgia Southern and Appalachian State passed us by, and they're doing very well for themselves right now. Georgia Southern won the Sun Belt title in their first year 7-3, 8-0! App State finished 3rd at 7-5, 6-2. App and Georgia Southern are playing with their peers, so they are able to compete with the conference. This idea that if you move up to the next level you'll become irrelevant and no longer have a winning tradition is bologna.
And football at thise schools is less important than it used to be. Most power fcs teams could win that lowlife conf. Title. Plus those are 2 powerhouse traditional winning schools. With years of high success at fcs. Ndsu smoke both those teams.

EG. here's what I know...nothing has come from EWU about the Gateway project that is meaningful...frustrating for all. I think Gateway was/is a pipe dream with a purpose. Marketing says ask for the moon and the stars and settle for the moon. Moon being what they hoped for to begin with which gets some interest and deep pockets to commit...which they have, just not enough to pull off the Gateway. Visionaries from EWU had the insight many years ago that the landscape of FCS will change and that EWU needs money games which big FBS programs are fazing out so....EWU needs to be prepared for a move to FBS(whatever that would look like). So, I see an announcement coming that a scaled down project will happen. That will be an upscale visitor side that looks good and would increase seating to the 15,000 mark (especially when they remove the track). Added concessions/bathrooms and other aesthetic features. They are currently adding tons of parking as I speak.

Obzerver said:
EG. here's what I know...nothing has come from EWU about the Gateway project that is meaningful...frustrating for all. I think Gateway was/is a pipe dream with a purpose. Marketing says ask for the moon and the stars and settle for the moon. Moon being what they hoped for to begin with which gets some interest and deep pockets to commit...which they have, just not enough to pull off the Gateway. Visionaries from EWU had the insight many years ago that the landscape of FCS will change and that EWU needs money games which big FBS programs are fazing out so....EWU needs to be prepared for a move to FBS(whatever that would look like). So, I see an announcement coming that a scaled down project will happen. That will be an upscale visitor side that looks good and would increase seating to the 15,000 mark (especially when they remove the track). Added concessions/bathrooms and other aesthetic features. They are currently adding tons of parking as I speak.

HAHA! :clap:

Lostlettermen.com posted, yesterday, the worst 5 teams in FBS football. Idaho is #5. New Mexico and Georgia State were rated worse. Doubt they'll sh*t Tiffany Cuff Links this year. Big Sky here they come!

Bisonation said:
Another good Fcs program is gone. Montana NDSU and UNI must follow.

This is the 3rd tier of football.

Well said Bison Man. Many of us agree with that. I would add a couple more programs maybe, but yeah, the cream gets skimmed off every few years and soon their won't be enough left to matter. It's move up or die when the little pond dries up.

FCS Gameday ‏@FCS_Gameday Aug 8
Coastal Carolina seems poised to be next FBS move-up. Sun Belt officials toured campus this week & A.D. says school would accept if offered.

Back