• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

SUU

mcg said:
I'm thinking this game is must win, particularly after the debacle in SLO. Griz can't open the league with two losses.
Well CP was an OOC matchup....but this is a HUGE game for the team. I'm hoping we get to see some big plays and more quick-strike offense mixed with our meticulous drives. Our young receivers looked a LOT better last week. Hopefully a breakthrough is on the horizon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brewskis said:
mcg said:
I'm thinking this game is must win, particularly after the debacle in SLO. Griz can't open the league with two losses.
Well CP was an OOC matchup....but this is a HUGE game for the team. I'm hoping we get to see some big plays and more quick-strike offense mixed with our meticulous drives. Our young receivers looked a LOT better last week. Hopefully a breakthrough is on the horizon.

CP was conference game this year. OOC teams are St. Francis, UNI, and MVSU. SUU defense is better than CP defense, and way better at creating turnovers. I would like to see a ball control game more like against UNI, no turnovers, and strong defense to keep SUU under 20 points.

brewskis said:
mcg said:

Cal Poly wasn't an OOC matchup. We are 0-1 in conference play. The conference and OOC schedule is just a little different this year with an OOC game (MVS) stuck in after we've already began conference play.

Ahhh thanks for pointing that out gents. I'd forgotten about MVS.

Diesel said:
mcg said:
"Debacle" you must not have watched the game. Great coaching on both sides, players leaving it all on the field, CP won. Every game is a must win, particularly in the playoffs. The Griz will be in the playoffs, because the program and the performance of the team is far from a debacle. Proud to support a university with student athletes that put a great product on the field. The Griz get to play SUU saturday, yum.

I did watch the game and I think 'debacle' is a reasonable description. Two very costly turnovers, undefended touchdown pass to fullback, failure to move ball past 30 yard line on final drive all add up to debacle. Poly was beatable, but the Griz didn't beat them. Having said all that I'm 100% in, home cooking should help on Saturday.

mcg said:
Diesel said:
mcg said:
"Debacle" you must not have watched the game. Great coaching on both sides, players leaving it all on the field, CP won. Every game is a must win, particularly in the playoffs. The Griz will be in the playoffs, because the program and the performance of the team is far from a debacle. Proud to support a university with student athletes that put a great product on the field. The Griz get to play SUU saturday, yum.

I did watch the game and I think 'debacle' is a reasonable description. Two very costly turnovers, undefended touchdown pass to fullback, failure to move ball past 30 yard line on final drive all add up to debacle. Poly was beatable, but the Griz didn't beat them. Having said all that I'm 100% in, home cooking should help on Saturday.
I agree that CP was beatable, the 48 yard wide right field goal into stadium was a debacle(I still like our kicker, hated that shank). Last year Vega hit 50 yarder for win in Missoula. Kickers??? They have to perform just like QBs, RBs, and WRs. Griz had lead after turnovers and the FB TD. I think it was the Sander's play was the go ahead for the win. I hate to say Sander's didn't look healthy all game, 10 yards off scrimmage on zero coverage wasn't enough cushion for the WR and the QB had a clean pocket, best of the day. That was good recognition by CP good coaching and great team execution(Hat's Off).The first down hand off debacle, the second and third down plays before the missed FG were breakdowns in WR blocking, DBs beat the blocks. I feel the frustration, just hate to say that such a good game was a debacle. I just can't sit by and hear the trash talking about the performance in Cal and not defend how well the Griz played and CP played an awesome game kudos to them. I'll try to drop conv about CP.

Looking for to SUU game, I'll be there, it's been too long between home games.

zengriz said:
...someone explain to me...
...how losing to utah 24-nothing...
...is giving utah all they could handle...

... :?: ...

Ya, I don't know I'd say all they can handle.. but the point is that Utah is 4-0 including wins against SJSU, BYU, and USC. 24 zip is a pretty good showing defensively at least.

Dictionary.com:

Debacle

1. A general breakup or dispersion; sudden downfall or rout: The revolution ended in a debacle.
2. A complete collapse or failure.

No, I don't think "debacle" really fits. Maybe "disappointment" would be a better term.

AllWeatherFan said:
Dictionary.com:

Debacle

1. A general breakup or dispersion; sudden downfall or rout: The revolution ended in a debacle.

No, I don't think "debacle" really fits. Maybe "disappointment" would be a better term.

Agreed.

Now, we have experience on this board with revolutions ending in a debacle. Just ask Ursa once his stay in that Costa Rica prison ends.

EverettGriz said:
Now, we have experience on this board with revolutions ending in a debacle. Just ask Ursa once his stay in that Costa Rica prison ends.

No, I think that's a calamity.

Interesting Quotes: D. Warren " they are a great team(GRIZ) we are a good team"

Lamb" it's very difficult to maintain the purpose and concentration necessary to have a championship record in the end"

The T-Birds have transfer QB that took over for the starter due to injury at Utah. They are averaging 5+ yards per run and about 200 yards rushing and 170 yards a game passing, opponents have better time of possession. TOP seem odd with the rushing numbers. Solid D.

They have new coach, new starting QB, they relied on chunk plays against PSU and four INTs with the last being a pick six with less than a minute to go. They gave up 31 PTS to PSU at home.

I like the match-up, Griz have better performances this year. SUU defending Big Sky champs, they will have concentration issues in Missoula this week, good guys win." The rose colored glasses I'm looking through, show only the beauty" it's nice having a little John Conley on Egriz. Surprised Brewski hasn't shot out beer-goggle references, those are cool too, Hams down.

AllWeatherFan said:
Dictionary.com:

Debacle

Fair enough, merriam-webster.com.com

Calamity:
an event that causes great harm and suffering

I think the Poly loss has the potential to produce great harm. (I suppose we could get wrapped up in what is 'great harm')

Note to Diesel, it's not my intent to trash talk anyone (you'll note no blame is assigned in my post), only to point out that after losing a winnable game, it's really important to win the next.

Diesel said:
Interesting Quotes: D. Warren " they are a great team(GRIZ) we are a good team"

Lamb" it's very difficult to maintain the purpose and concentration necessary to have a championship record in the end"

The T-Birds have transfer QB that took over for the starter due to injury at Utah. They are averaging 5+ yards per run and about 200 yards rushing and 170 yards a game passing, opponents have better time of possession. TOP seem odd with the rushing numbers. Solid D.

They have new coach, new starting QB, they relied on chunk plays against PSU and four INTs with the last being a pick six with less than a minute to go. They gave up 31 PTS to PSU at home.

I like the match-up, Griz have better performances this year. SUU defending Big Sky champs, they will have concentration issues in Missoula this week, good guys win." The rose colored glasses I'm looking through, show only the beauty" it's nice having a little John Conley on Egriz. Surprised Brewski hasn't shot out beer-goggle references, those are cool too, Hams down.
Thanks for the shoutout. Vitamin-H is good for the soul.

As for the game, as long as Justin Strong is healthy, I think we will shut their offense down. Our defense is built to eat up pro-style offenses.

Offensively, I think we might struggle a little bit....but I'm hoping to see some big plays get things opened up for us. Their defense is big up front, we aren't going to win this game by using the run to set up the pass. I think it'll be something in the neighborhood of 28-13 for a win.

mcg said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Dictionary.com:

Debacle

Calamity:

I think the Poly loss has the potential to produce great harm. (I suppose we could get wrapped up in what is 'great harm')

Note to Diesel, it's not my intent to trash talk anyone (you'll note no blame is assigned in my post), only to point out that after losing a winnable game, it's really important to win the next.
Sorry, sometimes my defense can be offensive. Good talking football, thanks for your input.

Southern Utah eager for test provided by Montana
http://skylinesportsmt.com/southern-utah-eager-for-test-provided-by-montana/

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
Southern Utah eager for test provided by Montana
http://skylinesportsmt.com/southern-utah-eager-for-test-provided-by-montana/

Nice to see the respect that programs give the Griz. Fans think the grass is greener on the other side or the sky is falling. Most programs want what Missoula has. No disrespect to others, the attendance numbers, facilities, tail gates, coaching staff, players...

I remember two adult tickets and two children tickets for $25.00, I'd take an extra kid no problem. Those were good times. Grass on the end-zones standing room only on big games. WA Griz Stadium was noisy then, and it just got better. Even G. Bennett had some good games, later DD lit things up. There is a good solid fan base that have been there for decades, as they add to the stadium they fill the seats (field of dreams). UM has put a pretty darn good product on the field for years. Don't take it for granite it can change quickly. There are a lot of programs that haven't had this experience, several are trying, we have it. Enjoy it, walk around the campus take in the stadium. Hope Bob stays around for a long time, we need stability with the coaching staff. Players continually change we don't have too many 30 year olds that play here like Utah seems to get, but our guys are student athletes, most are fine young men and they learn life lessons here. (stepping off the soap box, may have had a little Kool-Aid)

I guess like Bob we don't know a lot about SUU. We'll find out Saturday.

Looking at SUU play by play vs PSU. SUU allowed PSU to have long sustained drives. Maybe not the defensive jugerknots that some think.

PSU on the road with four turnovers were at T-Birds 3 yard line with under a minute in position to win, pick six game over. Five turnovers on the road and were in position to win. PSU had a roughing the punter in first half that led to a TD drive. PSU has one DII win, two FBS losses, and one FCS loss.

Going on the road, loud crowd, Griz are clicking on offense, defense will play tough at home. Would be surprised if SUU puts up more than 300 yards total offense, they will also turn the ball over.

Griz homecoming streak continues.

Diesel said:
mcg said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Dictionary.com:

Debacle

Calamity:

Sorry, sometimes my defense can be offensive. Good talking football, thanks for your input.

No worries, looking forward to Saturday!

Barnum's comments ignite SUU as Walterscheid's offense continues to pile up points
http://skylinesportsmt.com/barnum-ignites-suu/

Might be wrong thread to make this observation (I am on the Bob Stitt bandwagon). Comment Bob made about not using formation changes in his offense. Short down running formations have been less than innovative or effective.

The completely balanced tight formation used at UNI and the power formation last year against NDSU. The offensive coaches obviously saw a need for a power short yard formation. Triple option teams are most efficient at short yardage, even in balanced triple option formation they use motion to draw defenders or make defenders account for the motion. Off balanced offensive lines with motion seem to be most effective even if QB sneak is run, there has to be an element of options so defense can't key on the play. Heavy balanced formation as played against UNI allowed defense to overplay A gaps and pinch and contain horizontal ball movement with DEs and DBs could shoot inside or have good angles for outside run, defense had advantage both ways. Heavy formation last year was almost as bad with slight improvement to strong side. A good fast paced motion with a unbalanced line with motion towards strong side causes defensive attention or formation to shift. This opens up weak side for cutback RB run if middle is clogged or QB shift to weak side if middle is clogged on QB keeper. There is also swing pass to motion player option. Not trying to be a know it all, just an observation.

This week against a head coach that is a defensive coach there are going to be short yardage situations, at some point it would be nice for the coaching staff implement formations and or plays to put players in better position for success on third or fourth and short heavy formations. They have used normal formations successfully to convert in short down situations. The sky isn't falling, just would like to see offense continue to progress.

Back