• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Cuts Just Keep on Coming

alabamagrizzly said:
gotgame75 said:
Copper Griz said:
griznative24 said:
LOL when will it stop?! No, seriously, when is this going to stop.

It isn't going to stop and the problem is not exclusive to the U of M. Higher education is in trouble and frankly, it is downright unaffordable for many kids and families these days.

Agreed, but capable leadership would certainly lessen the blow and this is definitely something we are not getting. Royce is in so far over his head that it'd be laughable if it weren't so sad and pathetic.
Just a quick google search, here's the first three pages of articles on schools affected by budget cuts. All the stories are from 2016.
Nationally
http://www.cbpp.org/research/state-budget-and-tax/years-of-cuts-threaten-to-put-college-out-of-reach-for-more-students

http://www.cbpp.org/research/state-budget-and-tax/funding-down-tuition-up

All Illinois state universities
http://www.marketplace.org/2016/03/14/education/illinois-cuts-funding-its-public-universities

Wyoming
http://www.powelltribune.com/news/item/14871-new-uw-president-must-make-23-million-in-budget-cuts-before-july-1

All Kansas state universities
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2016/05/23/kansas-cuts-criticized-hurting-large-research-universities

All Louisiana state universities
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/01/louisiana_college_cuts.html

http://hechingerreport.org/the-devastating-impact-in-the-state-thats-cut-higher-education-the-most/

University of California
https://www.goodcall.com/news/university-of-california-audit-sparks-debate-over-out-of-state-students-state-budget-cuts-05506

Kentucky universities
http://www.wcpo.com/news/education/bevin-orders-knetucky-college-university-budgets-cut-by-45-percent

http://www.kentucky.com/news/politics-government/article71185627.html

Oklahoma universities
http://m.newsok.com/article/5482710

Wisconsin universities
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/superior/4006102-budget-cuts-strain-already-stressed-uw-superior

Virginia universities
http://www.wvea.org/content/wva-colleges-make-cuts-deal-less-taxpayer-funding

North Dakota
http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3983046-update-difficult-decisions-ahead-und-job-and-program-cuts-possible-schafer

Texas
http://www.dailytexanonline.com/2016/04/11/universities-must-find-alternative-sources-of-funding-in-light-of-state-budget-cuts

Alaska
http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Hundreds-to-lose-jobs-at-University-of-Alaska-due-to-budget-cuts-president-says-378877941.html

Australian universities
http://www.australianetworknews.com/australian-government-faces-criticism-budget-cuts-university-funding-system/

Budget cuts are not the same as declines in enrollment or other problems or structural problems. Budget cuts come from various factors: decline in state funding, increasing costs (sort of), decline in tuition and enrollment.

In the case of Montana, decline in enrollment is a double whammy. Less tuition, and less funding from the State (which comes on a per student basis).

In the case of Montana and Montana State--two fairly similar schools in the same region and drawing from a similar pool--the differences in recent years is astounding. And, then look at the statistics by department that UMGriz75 furnished a month or so ago. In the same or similar departments, most enrollment was going up for Montana State and most were going down for Montana.

Grisly Fan said:
SeattleBobcat said:
Yet thing you don't realize the people who don't pays taxes are usually very rich like Trump, and find loopholes so they don't have to pay. Capitalism only works if you can keep growing, it won't grow when you suppress the middle class. Social programs are vital to every country, now suddenly Police, Firefighters and EMS are creating a nanny state? Education shouldn't be affordable to everyone? only educate the people who can afford it? I'm not talking Foreign students coming here to get educated, and by the way its not guts, it cash that gets them that education, most of these workers were educated in places like India, where its free.

People with attitudes like yours kill me, yeah lets keep letting our populous fall behind the rest of the world... Attitudes like that will keep behind everyone.
In case you don't know, I mean with that incredible MSU education and all, the very wealthy don't make up 51% of the country. They are not the whole problem. Actually they are not even a significant part of the problem. You could take every penny they have and it wouldn't make a significant sent in the outcome. The problem is the MASSIVE entitlement programs that weigh on us every single year.

And in exactly what universe are the police, firefighters, and EMS considered a "social program"? Another gem from your storied days at MSU? Maybe you should have taken a few poly sci courses like I did at UM.

Affordable education doesn't have to be the result of a government social program. In fact with all of the regulations, govt only makes school more unaffordable. And using India as a model for anything is ironic. Have you ever been there? Crushing poverty and income inequity. I have friend who was born and educated there and HATES to go back. Funny that you want the US to be more like the rest of the world and yet most of the rest of the world wants to be more like the US. You really need to get out there and learn a whole bunch.

Absolutely correct! An economist stated that the government could take every penny of wealth from the top 1% in this country, and it would not amount to even 5% of our national budget each year! This old mantra of the left suggesting that the rich people are the problem shows how mis-informed the masses are. We are drowning in entitlements, and the progressives want more and more to feed the beast. The popularity of Bernie Sanders, especially among our youth, is proof that we are failing miserably to educate our populace on basic economics.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
Grisly Fan said:
SeattleBobcat said:
Yet thing you don't realize the people who don't pays taxes are usually very rich like Trump, and find loopholes so they don't have to pay. Capitalism only works if you can keep growing, it won't grow when you suppress the middle class. Social programs are vital to every country, now suddenly Police, Firefighters and EMS are creating a nanny state? Education shouldn't be affordable to everyone? only educate the people who can afford it? I'm not talking Foreign students coming here to get educated, and by the way its not guts, it cash that gets them that education, most of these workers were educated in places like India, where its free.

People with attitudes like yours kill me, yeah lets keep letting our populous fall behind the rest of the world... Attitudes like that will keep behind everyone.
In case you don't know, I mean with that incredible MSU education and all, the very wealthy don't make up 51% of the country. They are not the whole problem. Actually they are not even a significant part of the problem. You could take every penny they have and it wouldn't make a significant sent in the outcome. The problem is the MASSIVE entitlement programs that weigh on us every single year.

And in exactly what universe are the police, firefighters, and EMS considered a "social program"? Another gem from your storied days at MSU? Maybe you should have taken a few poly sci courses like I did at UM.

Affordable education doesn't have to be the result of a government social program. In fact with all of the regulations, govt only makes school more unaffordable. And using India as a model for anything is ironic. Have you ever been there? Crushing poverty and income inequity. I have friend who was born and educated there and HATES to go back. Funny that you want the US to be more like the rest of the world and yet most of the rest of the world wants to be more like the US. You really need to get out there and learn a whole bunch.

Absolutely correct! An economist stated that the government could take every penny of wealth from the top 1% in this country, and it would not amount to even 5% of our national budget each year! This old mantra of the left suggesting that the rich people are the problem shows how mis-informed the masses are. We are drowning in entitlements, and the progressives want more and more to feed the beast. The popularity of Bernie Sanders, especially among our youth, is proof that we are failing miserably to educate our populace on basic economics.
Let's do your math:

330,000,000 X .01 = 3,300,000.

That economist you referred too sure knows how to set up a strawman argument.

How much did a semester of school at UM cost you back in the day? And, what percent of the bill was paid by taxes?

I could fix this country easily, get rid of the national debt, and return millions of jobs to this country by doing the following:

1) Passing a law making unions illegal for all public service employees, including federal, state, county, and city. All public service employees would have a standard pay scale, adjusted for local cost-of-living strata, and given raises based on merit. There would be no lifetime benefits for public service retirees. Retirement income would be participatory by the employee until the 401K program, with a 50% match by the government agency.
2) Imposing term limits on Congress, and removing their life-time benefits including health care and retirement. Serving in congress would be an honor, instead of a lifetime ticket to vast wealth.
3) Taxing all goods manufactured in other countries, and consumed here.
4) Cutting several federal agencies, and paring the federal workforce by one-third.
5) Imposing line-item vetoes for all congressional bills, ending pork barrel hidden entitlements
6) Eliminating the IRS, and imposing a VAT tax on consumption of good/services
7) Imposing mandatory drug tests for all entitlement recipients.
8) Allowing federal subsidies for a maximum of two children per mother
9) Substantially increasing the armed forces, creating jobs, and affording maximum defense security for the U.S. in a dangerous world.

grizpsych said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
Grisly Fan said:
SeattleBobcat said:

Let's do your math:

How much did a semester of school at UM cost you back in the day? And, what percent of the bill was paid by taxes?

grizpsych said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
Grisly Fan said:
SeattleBobcat said:

Let's do your math:

You need to stick to psychology. Economics obviously ain't your bag.

In fiscal year 2015, the federal budget is $3.8 trillion.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
grizpsych said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
Grisly Fan said:

Let's do your math:

You need to stick to psychology. Economics obviously ain't your bag.

In fiscal year 2015, the federal budget is $3.8 trillion.

Hmm? I'm agreeing with you, in a way. Only taking one penny from the top 1% would be silly.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
I could fix this country easily, get rid of the national debt, and return millions of jobs to this country by doing the following:

1) Passing a law making unions illegal for all public service employees, including federal, state, county, and city. All public service employees would have a standard pay scale, adjusted for local cost-of-living strata, and given raises based on merit. There would be no lifetime benefits for public service retirees. Retirement income would be participatory by the employee until the 401K program, with a 50% match by the government agency.
2) Imposing term limits on Congress, and removing their life-time benefits including health care and retirement. Serving in congress would be an honor, instead of a lifetime ticket to vast wealth.
3) Taxing all goods manufactured in other countries, and consumed here.
4) Cutting several federal agencies, and paring the federal workforce by one-third.
5) Imposing line-item vetoes for all congressional bills, ending pork barrel hidden entitlements
6) Eliminating the IRS, and imposing a VAT tax on consumption of good/services
7) Imposing mandatory drug tests for all entitlement recipients.
8) Allowing federal subsidies for a maximum of two children per mother
9) Substantially increasing the armed forces, creating jobs, and affording maximum defense security for the U.S. in a dangerous world.

1) I wouldn't go for.
2) Definitely!
3) This probably would lead to war. A Tariff by any other name.
4) Which ones.
5) Wasn't this found unconstitutional?
6) I'd like to see the specifics. This could be great.
7) If you agree that addiction is a disease, why would we want to make life even harder for people with diseases?
8) Don't these subsidies stop once you reach a specific tax bracket? Or is this to punish the poor for having children?
9) We spend 15 million per hour on war currently. This isn't enough for you?

Cut 500 billion from the U.S. military budget so it is closer to that of other nations. Invest that 500 billion into the following:

1. Rebuilding American infrastructure (freeways, bridges, playgrounds, schools)
2. Paying off our debt
3. Investing in Education

BigGrizzlyCountry said:
Cut 500 billion from the U.S. military budget so it is closer to that of other nations. Invest that 500 billion into the following:

2. Paying off our debt

Don't you understand that a military stronger than any other super power is critical to avoid war? Study history. All people are imperialistic by nature. It has been that way since the beginning of human existence. The only way to avoid being taken over is to carry a big stick.

As for your point Number 3, all I can say is "are you kidding me"???? Throwing money at education is NOT the answer, and has never worked. Education starts in the home, and no school will be able to compensate for the social breakdown of the family unit no matter how much money they have.

Oh, I forgot another of my policy changes to make America great again, and a VERY IMPORTANT one at that!

1) Impose tort reform on all law suits to end the parasitic attorneys milking billions out of our economy
2) Make contingency lawsuits illegal

Atlanta Griz1 said:
BigGrizzlyCountry said:

2. Paying off our debt

Don't you understand that a military stronger than any other super power is critical to avoid war? Study history. All people are imperialistic by nature. It has been that way since the beginning of human existence. The only way to avoid being taken over is to carry a big stick.

As for your point Number 3, all I can say is "are you kidding me"???? Throwing money at education is NOT the answer, and has never worked. Education starts in the home, and no school will be able to compensate for the social breakdown of the family unit no matter how much money they have.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g25G1M4EXrQ[/youtube]

Atlanta Griz1 said:
Oh, I forgot another of my policy changes to make America great again, and a VERY IMPORTANT one at that!

1) Impose tort reform on all law suits to end the parasitic attorneys milking billions out of our economy

Avoiding war starts with not pissing people off. We have failed to do that. Thus, terrorists.

Avoiding civil war involves not spending a ton of money on the military and forcing the middle class into poverty.

alabamagrizzly said:
gotgame75 said:
Just a quick google search, here's the first three pages of articles on schools affected by budget cuts. All the stories are from 2016.
Nationally
http://www.cbpp.org/research/state-budget-and-tax/years-of-cuts-threaten-to-put-college-out-of-reach-for-more-students

http://www.cbpp.org/research/state-budget-and-tax/funding-down-tuition-up
The articles are about schools that have had their state budgets cut, not about schools that are suffering disastrous declines in enrollment.

BigGrizzlyCountry said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

Avoiding war starts with not pissing people off. We have failed to do that. Thus, terrorists.

Avoiding civil war involves not spending a ton of money on the military and forcing the middle class into poverty.

I am afraid, my friend, that you would get an "F" in a macro-economics course.

And, if you think that Muslim terrorists want to exterminate us because we "piss them off", then you need more help than I can provide. What scares me most, is that people who are as ill-informed as you get to vote. Not trying to be an A-hole, but your simplistic view of our country is troubling, but all to common.

UM's problem now is the classic death spiral. As any successful CEO will tell you, "you can't cut your way to success." There's always places to trim budgets, but UM is cutting bone, and lots of it. There is nothing that UM has done on the academic side in the past five years that would encourage a potential student to attend. Aside from frantic hiring and firing of "recruitment" firms, and flooding the airwaves with mediocre, generic "UM is a typical college" advertisements, the current group in Main Hall have demonstrated a complete inability to address any of the problems that Engstrom created at the outset.

The Board of Regents appears content to let Engstrom stay on until he collects his $500,000 bonus, and Engstrom has been given, by that promise, a tremendous economic incentive to stay on until he does collect it.

In the annals of "business decisions," the wisdom of the Board of Regents in extending that promise has to be strongly challenged. It was idiocy. It incentivized mediocrity because it only rewarded "staying on," not performance.

So, UM, once again, manages to score headlines of decline and disaster. What great recruiting tools. You'd think that the geniuses like Everett Griz who think that flashy pamphlets overcome the mountains of adverse publicity that are being generated, initially by Royce Engstrom himself, would have explanations of why "pamphlets" aren't working, but they seem to get mighty quiet with each new headline and each new revelation.

It's headed "our" way. Despite UM Football's overall contributions to UM, the phony budgeting system which, for instance, rewards Dining Services with revenues attributable to the sports events, marks nearly $8 million in "school support" for the program. That's going to start being cut, and cut dramatically. Engstrom will make a grand announcement about how "fair" he is, that "athletics" cannot be protected at the "expense of academics." He will once again try and portray himself as a PC hero, even as he proposes cuts to the one successful thing left at UM. It's his style. And he has a $500,000 incentive to do so.

Football cannot survive what Royce Engstrom is doing to this University, and its just a matter of time before the axe falls.

SeattleBobcat said:
Copper Griz said:
griznative24 said:
LOL when will it stop?! No, seriously, when is this going to stop.

It isn't going to stop and the problem is not exclusive to the U of M. Higher education is in trouble and frankly, it is downright unaffordable for many kids and families these days.
Spot on IMO. America as a whole is being left in the dust, education wise with the rest of the world. It's hard for our kids to compete with foreigners who get an education for free, while our kids are saddled with debt or just simply can't afford it. In Seattle/Portland area, there are lots of high paying tech jobs, but the vast majority of these positions are filled by people from other countries. We seem to be a country that hate social programs and blames all our problems on them instead of the true culprit. There's is just not enough to go around for everyone, especially when the extremely weathly are hording money at record rates.

Liberal Arts schools are and will feel the downward spiral much more than STEM institutions. Demographics and the huge increases of tuition and related costs make college education a paying proposition for public institutions less viable. Students graduating face an iffy job market with flat income growth prospects.

International student prospects choose their colleges in their respective countries as cost effective, quality options. Like all our infrastructure our institutions are in a sorry, aging state. We collectively have chosen to engage in a jingoistic bender and forget just what it was that set the American culture apart. Our "leaders" on ALL fronts have lost the capacity to lead and innovate.

UM situation is a symptom of a much larger issue. We ignore it at our peril. All past great civilizations found out that they couldn't solve similar situations. I remain pragmatically optimistic that it is not too late for our republic!!

I think becoming energy independent will be crucial for job growth and economic growth and would allow for an expanded tax base. OPEC continues to manipulate energy markets to try and prevent our development and the EPA's oversight further prohibits fiscally responsible development. Environmental restrictions on the US Energy and Manufacturing sector, while allowing for unpentalized importing of competing goods and products that have no environmental oversight or regulation does not allow for a level playing field and promotes outsourcing. I keep hearing the argument of tougher importation policy being a killer to global economic relations, but if you are going to implement an environmentally influenced domestic oversight strategy, then you need to hold our trade partners accountable too. Either that or lessen environmental restriction OR continue to rack up debt from those same partners that are taking advantage of our trade policy....

SeattleBobcat said:

Holy Retard, Batman.

This is from a LEFT-leaning website:
According to the Internal Revenue Service, in 2007 the top one-tenth of 1 percent of U.S. tax returns were filed by 141,000 people reporting an average income of $7.4 million. These returns accounted for nearly 12 percent of the nation's total adjusted gross income (AGI) and approximately 20 percent of all federal individual income taxes -- paying an average of $1.6 million apiece.

That same year, the 1.4 million people who constituted the top 1 percent of earners (AGI over $410,096) took in approximately 22.8 percent of the nation's income and paid 40.4 percent of all federal income taxes. This latter figure exceeded the 39.4 percent of the income tax burden that was shouldered by the 134 million people comprising the bottom 95 percent of all earners.

The top 5 percent of earners made 37.4 percent of the nation's income and paid 60.6 percent of all federal income taxes.

The top 10 percent of earners made 48.1 percent of the nation's income and paid 71.2 percent of all federal income taxes.

The top 25 percent of earners (AGI over $66,532) made 68.7 percent of the nation's income, and they paid 86.6 percent of all dollars collected as federal income tax.

The bottom 50 percent of earners made 12.3 percent of the nation's income and paid just 2.9 percent of all federal income taxes.

CBO_Data_Shares_of_Market_Income_and_Net_Federal_Taxes%2C_By_Income_Group%2C_2010.jpg

Yes, the data may be dated, but it's still very relevant, and the distribution hasn't changed all that much. But don't let actual facts disrupt your 99%'er rant.

Atlanta Griz1 said:

You mean contingency fees? I understand the Shakespearean dislike of lawyers, but don't you think its kind of Marxist/Socialist to try and control negotiated fee arrangements between private parties?

Back