• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Cuts Just Keep on Coming

Atlanta Griz1 said:
le, Bozeman
bigsky33 said:
get'em_griz said:
bigsky33 said:
Meanwhile MSU remains the school of choice for high achieving Montana students. Seventy-two percent Of Montana top high school students plan on attending MSU. That number is more than all the other schools combined. This doesn't bode well for UM.

UM is hurting itself more than anything MSU is doing.

I disagree on that. MSU has been light years ahead of UM in reaching out to high school students. They have been very aggressive with their Marketing.

You are correct, but it goes beyond marketing. The city of Bozeman has engaged in a high-tech development initiative which has brought many entrepreneurial people to that city, and many new high-paying jobs. In comparison, Missoula's city leaders have no clue, or, even worse, make it clear that they do not want new businesses locating to Missoula. To put it simply, the overall environment and cooperation by the city of Bozeman and MSU has made that city a destination for high-tech business. And, the MSU enrollment has benefited by this cooalition. In Missoula, both the city leaders and Engstrom have no freakin' clue how to compete on any level.

Wow. I'm impressed that there is at least one of you that possesses some objectivity.

The bottom of the bottom line is very simple. UM is in serious decline because of POOR LEADERSHIP FROM OUR PRESIDENT. No other explanation is needed.

ROYCE ENGSTROM MUST BE REQUIRED TO EXIT... AND SOON.

THE REGENTS ARE DRINKING WINE AND EATING MOLDY GRAPES OBLIVIOUS TO THE DEMISE OF OUR UNIVERSITY. DUMBFOUNDED AND LIKE TRUMP WOULD SAY " STUPID " They need to get in the " game "

As a side note old Growler/Atlanta was spot on, (at least 85 %). What some spaced out msu lovers like Seattle, dogct and others have to state on our board is not worth 25 cents of dog poop.

Umista said:
The bottom of the bottom line is very simple. UM is in serious decline because of POOR LEADERSHIP FROM OUR PRESIDENT. No other explanation is needed.

Within six months, Engstrom is going to be under irresistible pressure to cut at least $2 million out of the Athletic Budget. Nearly all of that will come out of Football. And this all started when Engstrom decided he needed new "leadership" and fired Jim O'Day. Instead of himself. Let's make some HEADLINES!! "Someone needs to walk the plank for this fake crisis that I am too gutless to face down with the facts, and it's not going to be me."

Enjoy Football this year, it may be the last for UM football as a contender for anything.

UM should be undertaking a new Capital Campaign at this point. That is the single most important thing that UM should be doing right now, in part because it is about ten years since the last very successful one and a university tries to do those about every ten years. Now, those were good headlines to get: "UM Breaks Fundraising Record!" Not doing that imposes irreparable long term damage. The future is in hock to this feckless bunch in Main Hall.

It can't. Not only because Main Hall is too busy running around in circles screaming, with its collective dress pulled up around its head, but because Engstrom has created a campus atmosphere that leaves nothing to brag about. With stocks at record highs, this is an ideal time for such a campaign; people love to donate appreciated stocks. The money's out there. It could be the biggest campaign in UM history, which is saying something. More than at any time in UM history. Engstrom can't do it.

The best investment of $500,000 now is not to give it to him to stay, but to give it to him to leave.

UMGriz75 said:
Umista said:

Within six months, Engstrom is going to be under irresistible pressure to cut at least $2 million out of the Athletic Budget. Nearly all of that will come out of Football. And this all started when Engstrom decided he needed new "leadership" and fired Jim O'Day. Instead of himself. Let's make some HEADLINES!! "Someone needs to walk the plank for this fake crisis that I am too gutless to face down with the facts, and it's not going to be me."

Enjoy Football this year, it may be the last for UM football as a contender for anything.

UM should be undertaking a new Capital Campaign at this point. That is the single most important thing that UM should be doing right now, in part because it is about ten years since the last very successful one and a university tries to do those about every ten years. Now, those were good headlines to get: "UM Breaks Fundraising Record!" Not doing that imposes irreparable long term damage. The future is in hock to this feckless bunch in Main Hall.

It can't. Not only because Main Hall is too busy running around in circles screaming, with its collective dress pulled up around its head, but because Engstrom has created a campus atmosphere that leaves nothing to brag about. With stocks at record highs, this is an ideal time for such a campaign; people love to donate appreciated stocks. The money's out there. It could be the biggest campaign in UM history, which is saying something. More than at any time in UM history. Engstrom can't do it.

The best investment of $500,000 now is not to give it to him to stay, but to give it to him to leave.

Wow. Babe Ruth has nothing on you. You called your shot..... You've erased at least six months of dubious posts.....Even Grizindabox would have to confirm. Nice job.....

CV Griz Fan said:
This thread has "crash and burn" written all over it......

You rang? I will burn this thread to the ground. You just name the time.
Oh, and I may need some supplies. They aren't necessary, but they would certainly expedite the process.

CDAGRIZ said:
CV Griz Fan said:

Oh, and I may need some supplies. They aren't necessary, but they would certainly expedite the process.

Aren't you the guy that has that conex box somewhere filled with the lighter fluid and pitchforks or is that Ursa? I seem to remember
some great posts a couple of years ago.....

CV Griz Fan said:
CDAGRIZ said:
CV Griz Fan said:

Aren't you the guy that has that conex box somewhere filled with the lighter fluid and pitchforks or is that Ursa? I seem to remember
some great posts a couple of years ago.....

Hmmmm . . . I think that must be Ursa. Yeah, Ursa has those things. I sure don't. Who's asking? Wait! Yeah, that's total Ursa stuff.

A good friend of mine asked me if I hated Engstrom after my anti Royce comments. The fact is I like him as a fellow. He is simply a nice guy and his wife Mary is even a much nicer person. So no I actually like him.

But he is a very bad president and he has done much HARM to the university during his time in charge! We all know he is smart in academia. Running a school? He is a complete failure. I have introduced him to wealthy folks that have money to burn and he acted like a complete amature and subsequently made me look foolish for getting them to gether for a donation towards the University.

Royce could have learned how to sell from some local used car salesmen and on to "new" car sales folks before jumping to real estate people. He has Zero idea how sales works and how business is done. EXPERTS in this sale and promotion business are all over and are available. One very good one is Wes Spiker right in Missoula. Many others good ones are around also. Bigdog knows of others as well. They could have had the school student population up 1,000 or more. Nope, it is down we go until he is gone!

Atlanta Griz1 said:
le, Bozeman
bigsky33 said:
get'em_griz said:
bigsky33 said:
Meanwhile MSU remains the school of choice for high achieving Montana students. Seventy-two percent Of Montana top high school students plan on attending MSU. That number is more than all the other schools combined. This doesn't bode well for UM.

I disagree on that. MSU has been light years ahead of UM in reaching out to high school students. They have been very aggressive with their Marketing.

You are correct, but it goes beyond marketing. The city of Bozeman has engaged in a high-tech development initiative which has brought many entrepreneurial people to that city, and many new high-paying jobs. In comparison, Missoula's city leaders have no clue, or, even worse, make it clear that they do not want new businesses locating to Missoula. To put it simply, the overall environment and cooperation by the city of Bozeman and MSU has made that city a destination for high-tech business. And, the MSU enrollment has benefited by this cooalition. In Missoula, both the city leaders and Engstrom have no freakin' clue how to compete on any level.
http://missoulian.com/news/local/mi...cle_a664a05e-7735-11e3-aa34-001a4bcf887a.html

In any other organization on this planet, such failing results would require at least a look into what the leadership of the organization is doing. This inquiry would demand change or new leadership all together. The U of M seems to turn its collective head all together, while the BOR rewards such poor performance with bonuses and extensions to said leaders.

Something has to be done here, but we need some direction with what. Who can we write, who can we call, does a guy start an on line petition to get rid of Engstrom? I'm tired of watching this great university go down the shitter and no one doing a thing about it. How do we bring the proper attention to this?

druhag said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
le, Bozeman
bigsky33 said:
get'em_griz said:

http://missoulian.com/news/local/mi...cle_a664a05e-7735-11e3-aa34-001a4bcf887a.html

LOL. I read that propaganda two years ago, and laughed. Please tell me the names of the new businesses located in Missoula, and the jobs they have created? UM/Missoula is just starting to engage in things that MSU/Bozeman have been doing for years. Even the city of Butte is way more progressive than Missoula in this area. Finally, do you think that Royce is capable of taking any initiative to the level of solid success stories?

Ranking Missoula #5 is about as funny as a recent story I read ranking Akron, Ohio as one of the top 5 cities for retirees.

HookedonGriz said:
In any other organization on this planet, such failing results would require at least a look into what the leadership of the organization is doing. This inquiry would demand change or new leadership all together. The U of M seems to turn its collective head all together, while the BOR rewards such poor performance with bonuses and extensions to said leaders.

Something has to be done here, but we need some direction with what. Who can we write, who can we call, does a guy start an on line petition to get rid of Engstrom? I'm tired of watching this great university go down the shitter and no one doing a thing about it. How do we bring the proper attention to this?

When the leadership is as clueless as the BORs, you can not expect that logical decisions will prevail. It would be interesting to know just what criteria the BORs use to evaluate the job that Royce is doing. My fear is that the main thing they look at is the amount of grant monies he is producing. I have heard that grants to UM are up substantially, but don't know for sure. It seems that today's universities value raising money over educating students.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
druhag said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
le, Bozeman
bigsky33 said:

LOL. I read that propaganda two years ago, and laughed. Please tell me the names of the new businesses located in Missoula, and the jobs they have created? UM/Missoula is just starting to engage in things that MSU/Bozeman have been doing for years. Even the city of Butte is way more progressive than Missoula in this area. Finally, do you think that Royce is capable of taking any initiative to the level of solid success stories?

Ranking Missoula #5 is about as funny as a recent story I read ranking Akron, Ohio as one of the top 5 cities for retirees.

Missoula is progressive in an anti-capitalist way where is Bozeman is the opposite. The failures or successes of each city has a direct major impact on the Universities therein.

New technology has "changed" and caused "disruption" to old higher-education delivery channels and the current/future college education delivery channel will be different. The investment that King George directed into new buildings on the UM Campus was misguided. Years ago a 18-year old needed to pack up and move to a college campus to get the higher education, and now the college education is delivered to the student over the internet and college guidance counseling is done via text/Skype/eMail.

450px-Disruptivetechnology.png

Proud Griz Man said:
New technology has "changed" and caused "disruption" to old higher-education delivery channels and the current/future college education delivery channel will be different. The investment that King George directed into new buildings on the UM Campus was misguided. Years ago a 18-year old needed to pack up and move to a college campus to get the higher education, and now the college education is delivered to the student over the internet and college guidance counseling is done via text/Skype/eMail.

I would never hire a "college grad" with a degree from the internet. The education one receives on a campus is not just from classes. It is from experiencing the diversity of people, cultures, and philosophies that molds an individual into a well-rounded person capable of critical thought and problem-solving. An internet degree will never substitute for a campus degree.

Cute graph, obviously written by some code-head. There is a reason why computer geeks work in cubicles, and not in the executive suites.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
Proud Griz Man said:

I would never hire a "college grad" with a degree from the internet. The education one receives on a campus is not just from classes. It is from experiencing the diversity of people, cultures, and philosophies that molds an individual into a well-rounded person capable of critical thought and problem-solving. An internet degree will never substitute for a campus degree.

Cute graph, obviously written by some code-head. There is a reason why computer geeks work in cubicles, and not in the executive suites.

I hate myself. +1

The education one receives on a campus is not just from classes. It is from experiencing the diversity of people, cultures, and philosophies that molds an individual into a well-rounded person capable of critical thought and problem-solving.

Notice = you said that, and I did not. :loser:

Don't try to misunderstand that UM has to adjust to the new dynamics in existence now. You don't like it, but UM must adjust and provide a new delivery channel.

The UM leadership has to find the best way to deliver the well-rounded education with the most positives and at a competitive price. If they do not lead UM into this "new delivery channel" then UM will struggle.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
Proud Griz Man said:

I would never hire a "college grad" with a degree from the internet. An internet degree will never substitute for a campus degree.

OBTW, who have you hired this year or last year or two years ago ? I would never hire a "college grad"

I will agree with the fact our university needs to educate kids with the "new wave" system but I also need to state more of our present problems deal with the POOR LEADERSHIP. Once we get new business savy progressive leaders in place the education portion will thrive. Youngsters will be jumping at the chance to attend our University because a new head will make this place exciting and create a great reputation for UM education.

Waded has her problems but she has done well insofar as enrollment at msu. Many in my group do not like her for other reasons but that is beside the point. Forget her and msu for the moment because that is not our problem.

Football cuts loom in the future and that is a BIG problem for us. I am hoping we get a few letters in the news papers shooting at the regents and the president as this public pressure works well. My efforts with the regents has not seemed to have much effect, but who knows how many others are contacting a regent with concerns.

Don't get off on the fact you may hire a University graduate VS a high scool drop out. That issue is not for this topic. I have hired both and have had very good luck with them.

Back