• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Death of D.O.L.A.

griz5700 said:
This whole team lacks that Montana swagger and dominant intensity. Hauck's teams always brought the attitude of we're Montana, you're sh*t, and we're gonna kick your ass all day. Those teams were awesome. Hopefully we can get back to that someday.

Agreed. Loved Hauck's teams because of that attitude and the fact that they deserved to have that attitude. Hauck's teams dominated the Big Sky every year and expected to do so.

His record in Conference was 56-7. We never lost more than 2 conference games in a year under him, and only did that twice (2003 & 2005).

His last 4 years we went 31-1 in conference. 8-0, 8-0, 7-1, 8-0.

Since he left we've gone 18-11 in conference over 4 years so far (with 3 conference games left).

There's a reason most of the Big Sky hated his guts, and sure they might say it was because he was a cocky SOB. In reality it's probably because his teams were so dominant & he had good reason to be a cocky asshole :p

I taught this to my eight year old jr tackle team. they went 6 and 0 this year.
offense and Defense has to have a domminant attitude. i told my wife after the NAU game
this oline may be good, but they do NOT have DOLA. you are spot on BW

I agree with BW. The "dominant" part is not being emphasized enough. During halftime of the EWU game, Gragg came out of the locker room very early with some munchies and was waving to an older lady below me in Section 110. There also some dis-connect going on...are the co-OCs not getting a long? :shock:

While I agree that having a DOLA is essential in o-line play there is one additional technique being used that is hurting the o-line play, it’s this crappy zone stretch blocking technique. Takes away size advantage, knowledge of who you are hitting pre-snap, and generally changes the line into finesse influence blockers. Griz are not even executing the most important part of the scheme, the backside cuts. No wonder when we get inside the 10 or 3rd and short can’t convert. The entire line is sitting back on their heels while the d-line is weight forward ready to fire out with low pad level and stuff us in the backfield. Sound familiar?

"Swagger" and "success" are like the chicken and the egg. Do teams have swagger because they are successful, or are they successful because they have swagger? Clearly it's the former, not the latter. So anybody who says he misses the swagger is really saying he misses the success.

Or, let's put it this way: A shitty team with "swagger" would look like complete fools.

Potomac Griz said:
griz5700 said:
This whole team lacks that Montana swagger and dominant intensity. Hauck's teams always brought the attitude of we're Montana, you're sh*t, and we're gonna kick your ass all day. Those teams were awesome. Hopefully we can get back to that someday.

Agreed. Loved Hauck's teams because of that attitude and the fact that they deserved to have that attitude. Hauck's teams dominated the Big Sky every year and expected to do so.

His record in Conference was 56-7. We never lost more than 2 conference games in a year under him, and only did that twice (2003 & 2005).

His last 4 years we went 31-1 in conference. 8-0, 8-0, 7-1, 8-0.

Since he left we've gone 18-11 in conference over 4 years so far (with 3 conference games left).

There's a reason most of the Big Sky hated his guts, and sure they might say it was because he was a cocky SOB. In reality it's probably because his teams were so dominant & he had good reason to be a cocky asshole :p

Yep. He was a cocky SOB who treated the cats like dirt. I freakin loved it. His teams adopted that attitude and went to battle for him and the tradition of Montana football. I read an article recently from the LV Review-Journal about the rivalry of UNLV/UNR and Hauck's experience with heated rivalries. Almost brought a tear when I read Hauck refer to msu as "the other school in the state." The guy loves UM and hates all things bozeman.. Awesome.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/columns-blogs/ed-graney/hauck-no-stranger-heated-rivalries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

griz5700 said:
Yep. He was a cocky SOB who treated the cats like dirt. I freakin loved it. His teams adopted that attitude and went to battle for him and the tradition of Montana football. I read an article recently from the LV Review-Journal about the rivalry of UNLV/UNR and Hauck's experience with heated rivalries. Almost brought a tear when I read Hauck refer to msu as "the other school in the state." The guy loves UM and hates all things bozeman.. Awesome.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/columns-blogs/ed-graney/hauck-no-stranger-heated-rivalries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From that article:

"I grew up around that one, being a third generation guy (at Montana),” Hauck said.

“When I was going to school there, I had 17 cousins also there at the same time. A couple others, whose names we don’t mention in polite company, went to the other school in the state. There is nothing better than winning your rivalry game and nothing worse than losing it. For the most part, people are emotional leading up to it and sane after, but there was always stuff bordering on crazy and out-of-line in that one."

:lol:

Wait, wasn't Bobby the coach who broke the 16-year winning streak against the Cats and lost to them three times?

Potomac Griz said:
griz5700 said:

From that article:

"I grew up around that one, being a third generation guy (at Montana),” Hauck said.

“When I was going to school there, I had 17 cousins also there at the same time. A couple others, whose names we don’t mention in polite company, went to the other school in the state. There is nothing better than winning your rivalry game and nothing worse than losing it. For the most part, people are emotional leading up to it and sane after, but there was always stuff bordering on crazy and out-of-line in that one."

:lol:
Love it!

Potomac Griz said:
Having someone step up with a Quinn-like attitude (or the other OLinemen you mentioned) would be awesome. You just knew when the other team did something that he deemed was inappropriate, he was going to find that person in the next couple plays and make them wish they'd taken up knitting instead of football.

I know I've mentioned this before, but I have to again... He was also a big presence for the Basketball team as a fan. In the game against Portland State one year (who was the defending big sky champions) he sat court side and heckled the shit out of PSU all game. You could tell he got into their leading scorer's head, who ended up with only 5 points on 2-9 shooting.

He was my guest and he intimidated the shit out of PSU's players that game. Great times!

AllWeatherFan said:
Wait, wasn't Bobby the coach who broke the 16-year winning streak against the Cats and lost to them three times?

Nope to both of those.

Joe Glenn lost to the Cats in 2002 10-7 in Missoula ending the streak.

Hauck's teams had the following results against the Cats:

2003: 20-27 Loss @Bozeman
2004: 38-22 Win in Missoula
2005: 6-16 Loss @Bozeman
2006: 13-7 Win in Missoula
2007: 41-20 Win @Bozeman
2008: 35-3 Win in Missoula
2009: 33-19 Win @Bozeman

Potomac Griz said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Nope to both of those.

Joe Glenn lost to the Cats in 2002 10-7 in Missoula ending the streak.

Hauck's teams had the following results against the Cats:

2003: 20-27 Loss @Bozeman
2004: 38-22 Win in Missoula
2005: 6-16 Loss @Bozeman
2006: 13-7 Win in Missoula
2007: 41-20 Win @Bozeman
2008: 35-3 Win in Missoula
2009: 33-19 Win @Bozeman

I stand corrected.

b/w...great thread,,,this has been the elephant in the meeting rooms of the Montana griz....it needs to be addressed.....it is embarrassing what has happened in this most important area of the team imo....

AllWeatherFan said:
"Swagger" and "success" are like the chicken and the egg. Do teams have swagger because they are successful, or are they successful because they have swagger? Clearly it's the former, not the latter. So anybody who says he misses the swagger is really saying he misses the success.

Or, let's put it this way: A shitty team with "swagger" would look like complete fools.

it seems to me that individuals on teams have swagger, but teams themselves don't. along those lines, i sometimes appreciate it when a player who is winning his position battles shows swagger, even though he's on the losing team.

Back