• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Death of D.O.L.A.

Everyone knew the Coaching was suspect after last season. Lots of just head scratching after calls.

But the O-Line was thought to be on of the strongest parts of this team. But over the course of this season its become increasingly obvious that the O-Line is one of the weakest links.

Is it the coaches trying to fit these guys into the a play style that just doesn't fit them or have the guys just lost their D.O.L.A?

Seems like maybe bit of both to me IMO.

argh! said:
it seems to me that individuals on teams have swagger, but teams themselves don't. along those lines, i sometimes appreciate it when a player who is winning his position battles shows swagger, even though he's on the losing team.

I'd go along with that.

What is frustrating about this O-line is it's fragmented. Kistler is still the best offensive lineman in the conference and it's not even close. And Kjelby is the best center in the league even though he's played with a bum hamstring all season. HOWEVER, Danny's partner in crime has regressed terribly this season. I'm sorry, but the biggest question should be "What happened to Williams Poehls"??? He WAS the guy with the mean streak on this O-Line. This season, I see him getting crashed down constantly and he's been flagged a lot too. On the other side, people have mentioned that Poole might be struggling out of position and is better suited to play tackle, while Schmaing is having a growing pains type of season, so running to that side is a crap shoot.

On Paper this offensive line is as talented as any five UM has ever put together. But it's just not working out. Also of note, this Griz coaching staff likes to sub alot and I wonder if that screws things up too. You'll see Weyer in there a ton with other starters, LaRowe comes in and plays with the starters, Hines' too. I haven't seen that with the previous two coaching staff's. Usually, on the O-Line, you just ride your horses till they can't go anymore.

Tokyogriz said:
Everyone knew the Coaching was suspect after last season. Lots of just head scratching after calls.

But the O-Line was thought to be on of the strongest parts of this team. But over the course of this season its become increasingly obvious that the O-Line is one of the weakest links.

Is it the coaches trying to fit these guys into the a play style that just doesn't fit them or have the guys just lost their D.O.L.A?

Seems like maybe bit of both to me IMO.

other teams/coaches may be focusing in on disrupting our o-line if it was one of the foundations of last years' team. could it also be that there has been one more year of separation from pflugrad and co?

havgrizfan said:
What is frustrating about this O-line is it's fragmented. Kistler is still the best offensive lineman in the conference and it's not even close. And Kjelby is the best center in the league even though he's played with a bum hamstring all season. HOWEVER, Danny's partner in crime has regressed terribly this season. I'm sorry, but the biggest question should be "What happened to Williams Poehls"??? He WAS the guy with the mean streak on this O-Line. This season, I see him getting crashed down constantly and he's been flagged a lot too. On the other side, people have mentioned that Poole might be struggling out of position and is better suited to play tackle, while Schmaing is having a growing pains type of season, so running to that side is a crap shoot.

On Paper this offensive line is as talented as any five UM has ever put together. But it's just not working out. Also of note, this Griz coaching staff likes to sub alot and I wonder if that screws things up too. You'll see Weyer in there a ton with other starters, LaRowe comes in and plays with the starters, Hines' too. I haven't seen that with the previous two coaching staff's. Usually, on the O-Line, you just ride your horses till they can't go anymore.

Good and informed post!

Potomac Griz said:
Agreed. Loved Hauck's teams because of that attitude and the fact that they deserved to have that attitude. Hauck's teams dominated the Big Sky every year and expected to do so.

His record in Conference was 56-7. We never lost more than 2 conference games in a year under him, and only did that twice (2003 & 2005).

His last 4 years we went 31-1 in conference. 8-0, 8-0, 7-1, 8-0.

Since he left we've gone 18-11 in conference over 4 years so far (with 3 conference games left).

There's a reason most of the Big Sky hated his guts, and sure they might say it was because he was a cocky SOB. In reality it's probably because his teams were so dominant & he had good reason to be a cocky asshole :p
Actually, Hauck's BSC record was 47-6. He also beat Weber in the '08 playoffs.
'03 -- 5-2
'04 -- 6-1
'05 -- 5-2
'06 -- 8-0
'07 -- 8-0
'08 -- 7-1
'09 -- 8-0
So in 7 years, he lost 6 BSC games. In 1 5/8 years MD has lost 7.

kemajic said:
Potomac Griz said:
Agreed. Loved Hauck's teams because of that attitude and the fact that they deserved to have that attitude. Hauck's teams dominated the Big Sky every year and expected to do so.

His record in Conference was 56-7. We never lost more than 2 conference games in a year under him, and only did that twice (2003 & 2005).

Since he left we've gone 18-11 in conference over 4 years so far (with 3 conference games left).

There's a reason most of the Big Sky hated his guts, and sure they might say it was because he was a cocky SOB. In reality it's probably because his teams were so dominant & he had good reason to be a cocky asshole :p
'03 -- 5-2
'04 -- 6-1
'05 -- 5-2
'06 -- 8-0
'07 -- 8-0
'08 -- 7-1
'09 -- 8-0

I've been trying to tell you how much stronger the Big Sky conference has gotten.

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
'03 -- 5-2
'04 -- 6-1
'05 -- 5-2
'06 -- 8-0
'07 -- 8-0
'08 -- 7-1
'09 -- 8-0

I've been trying to tell you how much stronger the Big Sky conference has gotten.
Adding UNC had to be key.

Spanky said:
How can bad players have swagger?
How can the spankster post without defending his hero, the mickster, and blaming the players?

Spankster....Mickster....coincidence, I think not!

Geddes said:
grizvsmsu08303kh2.jpg

grizvsmsu08315qt9.jpg

Caption this..

Although Quinn was an ass I loved the nastiness he brought to the OL.

My question is the o-line still workable? Can this line get things figured out to finish out the season? Or are we going to just hope they can. Still amazes me that as good as they could be has turned into a freakin nightmare. Come on o-line blow some snot and own someone.
Nice guys finish last! Now I'm pissed again.........shit!!!

kemajic said:
Potomac Griz said:

'03 -- 5-2
'04 -- 6-1
'05 -- 5-2
'06 -- 8-0
'07 -- 8-0
'08 -- 7-1
'09 -- 8-0

Doh, sorry for the bad math. Should have double checked! Still, quite the difference huh?

Hammer said:
Geddes said:
grizvsmsu08303kh2.jpg

grizvsmsu08315qt9.jpg

Caption this..

Although Quinn was an ass I loved the nastiness he brought to the OL.
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=O21nI-uvU60[/youtube]
At the 6:40 mark at all went down :lol: Not sure what was said but I'm bettin it had something to do with the hit in the end zone.

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:
I don't agree that DOLA has died.

Of course you don't.

By the way, thanks for helping me win a little wager I had about this thread... :coffee:
:lol: Get ready to hear "you never played the game" in 3....2....1....

Potomac Griz said:
griz5700 said:
This whole team lacks that Montana swagger and dominant intensity. Hauck's teams always brought the attitude of we're Montana, you're sh*t, and we're gonna kick your ass all day. Those teams were awesome. Hopefully we can get back to that someday.

Totally agree! Bobby had that cocky I'm going to kick your ass all day attitude and his teams showed it. The Griz haven't had that attitude since he left. I would take him back in a heartbeat!

Back