• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

This has to be said... about this years recruiting class

getgrizzy said:
We've had lots of recruiting classes that look as good as this one.

Answer a simple question which class has looked as good as this one on paper? Give the year and reason.

I await your brilliance.

wbtfg said:
This is a nice class, but I don't think it holds a candle to a few of the classes that Bobby Hauck brought in. I seem to remember one class in particular maybe 2003? It was just a bunch of big time dudes, I think Tyler Joyce was one of the crown jewels of that class.

Way to stir the pot. Did you know that was a great class when it was signed?

As stated this is the best class by far on paper. The real question is if they will end up being the best class in 4 years. For that only time will tell..

Good, now coach them up to meet the recruiting expectations.

Because . . . Looming in September are:
Game two 2016 = UNI at their dome :eek:
Game three 2016 = Cal Poly at their place :shock:
Game four 2016 = So. Utah at Missoula :|

Paytonlives said:
wbtfg said:
This is a nice class, but I don't think it holds a candle to a few of the classes that Bobby Hauck brought in. I seem to remember one class in particular maybe 2003? It was just a bunch of big time dudes, I think Tyler Joyce was one of the crown jewels of that class.

Way to stir the pot. Did you know that was a great class when it was signed. As stated this is the best class by far on paper. The real question is if they will end up being the best class in 4 years. For that only time will tell..
That was one of the few classes where I had to give Bobby his props. I still remember that signing day and some of the videos even today, I was super impressed back then, and most of those guys panned out and quite a few of them even surpassed expectations. I think that was the year where Bobby said we aren't recruiting anymore midgets.

UNIVERSITY OF MONTANA GRIZZLY 
2004 FOOTBALL RECRUITS ROSTER 
Player Pos. Ht. Wt. Year Exp. Hometown/Previous School 
Ryan Bagley WR 6-4 197 Fr. HS Great Falls, MT (C.M. Russell HS) 
Cody Balogh OL 6-7 290 Fr. HS Steilacoom, WA (Steilacoom HS) 
Kevin Bell OT 6-4 265 Fr. HS Santa Clarita, CA (Hart HS) 
Cole Bergquist QB 6-2 192 Fr. HS San Clemente, CA (San Clemente HS) 
Kroy Biermann LB 6-3 215 Fr. HS Hardin, MT (Hardin HS) 
Dan Carpenter K 6-2 190 Fr. HS Helena, MT (Helena HS) 
Dan Carter OL 6-5 315 Fr. HS Bellingham, WA (Bellingham HS) 
Jesse Carlson DL 6-3 255 Fr. HS Billings, MT (Billings West HS) 
Colin Dow OL 6-5 275 Fr. HS Billings, MT (Billings Senior HS) 
Mike Ferriter DB 6-1 180 Fr. HS Helena, MT (Helena HS) 
David Haile OLB 6-4 215 Fr. HS San Jose, CA (Milpitas, HS) 
Trapper Hight OL 6-4 260 Fr. HS Miles City, MT (Custer County HS) 
Tyler Joyce LB 6-5 210 Fr. HS Aurora, CO (Overland HS) 
Aaron Mack DE 6-5 225 Fr. HS Denver, CO (Cherry Creek HS) 
Craig Mettler DL 6-4 240 Fr. HS Walla Walla, WA (Walla Walla HS) 
Tim Parks CB 5-10 170 Fr. HS Moreno Valley, CA (Moreno Valley HS) 
Karl Pitcher LB 6-2 210 Fr. HS Anaconda, MT (Anaconda HS) 
Carl Roeller DE 6-5 210 Fr. HS Hayden Lake, ID (Coeur d’Alene HS) 
Rob Schulte RB 5-8 185 Fr. HS Great Falls, MT (Great Falls HS) 
Michael Stadnyk DE 6-4 240 Fr. HS Regina, Saskatchewan (Miller Comp. School) 
Matt Troxel WR 5-9 165 Fr. HS Coeur d’Alene, ID (Lake City HS) 
Torrey Thomas Safety 6-0 175 Fr. HS Dillon, MT (Beaverhead County HS) 
Jimmy Wilson CB 5-11 175 Fr. HS San Diego, CA (Point Loma HS) 

getgrizzy said:
We've had lots of recruiting classes that look as good as this one. This one has a lot of star-rated players, but we should all know by now that star ratings aren't very accurate. I'd even go so far as to say that if you're a 3-star player and you end up at a FCS school, the people doing the rating are simply wrong, being very liberal with their ratings, or you have baggage (grades, trouble, injuries). No way should a true 3-star player start his career in the FCS.

Really? The state of Texas ALONE produces roughly 1,300 3, 4 and 5 star football players each graduating class. Each year roughly 350 of those sign with FBS schools. That leaves a LOT of star-rated players looking for homes. And if star ratings aren't very accurate, how come Alabama has so many 5 star and 4 star players on their team, and lead all of college football with players in the NFL?

Star ratings might be wrong (or missing) on athletes from some of the less densely populated areas, but I'm pretty sure the rating agencies are fairly accurate in the more populated states like California, Texas, Arizona, Pennsylvania, etc., etc.

This article is a bit dated, but read it and then tell me star rating isn't accurate:

http://athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-draft-do-recruiting-rankings-matter

I also remember the class with van Cooper was pretty impressive on paper as well.

wbtfg said:
Paytonlives said:
wbtfg said:

Way to stir the pot. Did you know that was a great class when it was signed. As stated this is the best class by far on paper. The real question is if they will end up being the best class in 4 years. For that only time will tell..
That was one of the few classes where I had to give Bobby his props. I still remember that signing day and some of the videos even today, I was super impressed back then, and most of those guys panned out and quite a few of them even surpassed expectations. I think that was the year where Bobby said we aren't recruiting anymore midgets.

UNIVERSITY OF MONTANA GRIZZLY 
2004 FOOTBALL RECRUITS ROSTER 
Player Pos. Ht. Wt. Year Exp. Hometown/Previous School 
Ryan Bagley WR 6-4 197 Fr. HS Great Falls, MT (C.M. Russell HS) 
Cody Balogh OL 6-7 290 Fr. HS Steilacoom, WA (Steilacoom HS) 
Kevin Bell OT 6-4 265 Fr. HS Santa Clarita, CA (Hart HS) 
Cole Bergquist QB 6-2 192 Fr. HS San Clemente, CA (San Clemente HS) 
Kroy Biermann LB 6-3 215 Fr. HS Hardin, MT (Hardin HS) 
Dan Carpenter K 6-2 190 Fr. HS Helena, MT (Helena HS) 
Dan Carter OL 6-5 315 Fr. HS Bellingham, WA (Bellingham HS) 
Jesse Carlson DL 6-3 255 Fr. HS Billings, MT (Billings West HS) 
Colin Dow OL 6-5 275 Fr. HS Billings, MT (Billings Senior HS) 
Mike Ferriter DB 6-1 180 Fr. HS Helena, MT (Helena HS) 
David Haile OLB 6-4 215 Fr. HS San Jose, CA (Milpitas, HS) 
Trapper Hight OL 6-4 260 Fr. HS Miles City, MT (Custer County HS) 
Tyler Joyce LB 6-5 210 Fr. HS Aurora, CO (Overland HS) 
Aaron Mack DE 6-5 225 Fr. HS Denver, CO (Cherry Creek HS) 
Craig Mettler DL 6-4 240 Fr. HS Walla Walla, WA (Walla Walla HS) 
Tim Parks CB 5-10 170 Fr. HS Moreno Valley, CA (Moreno Valley HS) 
Karl Pitcher LB 6-2 210 Fr. HS Anaconda, MT (Anaconda HS) 
Carl Roeller DE 6-5 210 Fr. HS Hayden Lake, ID (Coeur d’Alene HS) 
Rob Schulte RB 5-8 185 Fr. HS Great Falls, MT (Great Falls HS) 
Michael Stadnyk DE 6-4 240 Fr. HS Regina, Saskatchewan (Miller Comp. School) 
Matt Troxel WR 5-9 165 Fr. HS Coeur d’Alene, ID (Lake City HS) 
Torrey Thomas Safety 6-0 175 Fr. HS Dillon, MT (Beaverhead County HS) 
Jimmy Wilson CB 5-11 175 Fr. HS San Diego, CA (Point Loma HS) 

That probably turned out to be Montana's finest recruiting class in the past 20 years. Scout.com had this class with about 5 or 6 two-star recruits at the time. There were also several one-star players such as Joyce and Biermann that turned out to be studs. This was at a time that we got very few players even ranked. It's not necessarily apples to apples anymore because of all the recruiting services today, but on paper this 2015 class does look way better with tons of athleticism at the skill position.

WBFG is also correct, though, this 2004 class was amazing and well thought of at the signing event.

Paytonlives said:
In the ten years that I have been covering Griz recruiting, I have always taken recruiting with a grain of salt. Never really over hyped any class, because I saw a lot of holes.

But Point blank...this class is by far the best class on paper UM has ever had.
The only class (on paper) that was close was , pause for dramatic effect,..... LAST YEAR!!!

In fact, I took a look at the recruiting classes for the top 10 FCS schools and NONE are in the same ballpark.

I would even venture to say that MANY Mid to lower FBS schools wish they had a class this good.

Main reasons why:
1- Coaches did an awesome job recruiting early and staying with players.
2- Coaches were not afraid to try for upper crust recruits, if you don't believe me look at the recruites UM did not get and where they signed! Mostly large FBS schools.
3- The Yeti Effect THAYNE JACKSON was the best recruiter UM had!
4- The Opening week win vs. ND State. Only game that weekend with a incredible finish and crazy fans!!!!

I know there will be naysayers and ones that want to stir the pot... But trust me...

THIS IS THE GREATEST CLASS OF RECRUITES UM HAS EVER HAD!!!!!
I'll give your coaches prop's. They've done VERY well these past 2 weeks, 28 just seems a bit high for what you guys have going out. Guessing there's gone to be a lot more players cut this spring though.

SeattleBobcat said:
Paytonlives said:
In the ten years that I have been covering Griz recruiting, I have always taken recruiting with a grain of salt. Never really over hyped any class, because I saw a lot of holes.

The only class (on paper) that was close was , pause for dramatic effect,..... LAST YEAR!!!

In fact, I took a look at the recruiting classes for the top 10 FCS schools and NONE are in the same ballpark.

I would even venture to say that MANY Mid to lower FBS schools wish they had a class this good.

Main reasons why:
2- Coaches were not afraid to try for upper crust recruits, if you don't believe me look at the recruites UM did not get and where they signed! Mostly large FBS schools.
4- The Opening week win vs. ND State. Only game that weekend with a incredible finish and crazy fans!!!!

I know there will be naysayers and ones that want to stir the pot... But trust me...

I'll give your coaches prop's. They've done VERY well these past 2 weeks, 28 just seems a bit high for what you guys have going out. Guessing there's gone to be a lot more players cut this spring though.

We had 17 seniors and 4 have since left the program, giving at least 21 schollies. 4 of the 28 are walk-ons, so that means 24 with some form of money and I believe at least two of the MT kids are partials and one other partial, which brings it to 22 1/2. So, it wouldn't take much more in cuts to hit that number.

Isn't this entire thread all about speculation?? Very few on this board have seen any of these players play in a real game. But i agree with most, this class is special!
This group is loaded with speed, and not just in the skilled positions. This group is loaded with size, and not just the guys recruited to play up front. Intangibles?? Who knows. Can you coach heart, dedication, determination, teamwork?? Many of the guys in this class have excelled in the classroom, a big plus. Most had great offers to take their talents elsewhere, but I have to think they all saw something special happening in Griz Nation.
Obviously, only time can answer if this is indeed the best ever. So much has to go right for us to make this assertion in four or five years. But what this group will bring to the team that hasn't been mentioned a lot is the overall level of competition on the Grizzlies has increased dramatically with this group of studs. You don't think the current players on the team are not watching what has happened over the last month? I assure you they are, and believe me, this group of kids will push them more than ever to get better if they want to keep their place on the team. I predict 3 or 4 of the kids in this class will make a substantial contribution NEXT year to the success of our program. Add in last year's studs... #BOOM!
Thanks, Payton, as well as the rest of you, who put in a lot of time putting together a great assessment of the talent level recruited, and what to expect from this year's group. I certainly don't possess the knowledge or experience to begin to make the claim best ever, but know I will enjoy watching this group try and prove the skeptics wrong!! The Hilton Garden Inn will be rocking on Wednesday..Can't wait!!!

birdieman said:
Intangibles?? Who knows. Can you coach heart, dedication, determination, teamwork??

And these are the things a "star" rating can't measure and it's where "sure things" with 4 and 5 star ratings wash out. If getgrizzly expects them to be able to measure these things he's going to go through life extremely disappointed.

Paytonlives said:
getgrizzy said:
We've had lots of recruiting classes that look as good as this one.

Answer a simple question which class has looked as good as this one on paper? Give the year and reason.

I await your brilliance.

"on paper..." this class is amazing, unbelievable, inconceivable, THE BEST EVER... and I MEAN EVER! :shock: NO class before, or after will EVER rise up and challenge this class... on paper. :lol:

Now, in reality...

6945ec96e284a9bda05f702a4badfd2d38104fdd77bcf55c0b0b3da1443a2788.jpg

WE shall see. Some will pan out, some won't...it happens every year...ON THE FIELD!

AZGrizFan said:
getgrizzy said:
We've had lots of recruiting classes that look as good as this one. This one has a lot of star-rated players, but we should all know by now that star ratings aren't very accurate. I'd even go so far as to say that if you're a 3-star player and you end up at a FCS school, the people doing the rating are simply wrong, being very liberal with their ratings, or you have baggage (grades, trouble, injuries). No way should a true 3-star player start his career in the FCS.

Really? The state of Texas ALONE produces roughly 1,300 3, 4 and 5 star football players each graduating class. Each year roughly 350 of those sign with FBS schools. That leaves a LOT of star-rated players looking for homes. And if star ratings aren't very accurate, how come Alabama has so many 5 star and 4 star players on their team, and lead all of college football with players in the NFL?

Star ratings might be wrong (or missing) on athletes from some of the less densely populated areas, but I'm pretty sure the rating agencies are fairly accurate in the more populated states like California, Texas, Arizona, Pennsylvania, etc., etc.

This article is a bit dated, but read it and then tell me star rating isn't accurate:

Getgrizzy is a fuckin idiot...dont even respond to them!

AZGrizFan said:
SeattleBobcat said:
Paytonlives said:

Main reasons why:

We had 17 seniors and 4 have since left the program, giving at least 21 schollies. 4 of the 28 are walk-ons, so that means 24 with some form of money and I believe at least two of the MT kids are partials and one other partial, which brings it to 22 1/2. So, it wouldn't take much more in cuts to hit that number.

I doubt that 17 seniors plus 4 players leaving necessarily equals 21 full scholarships. I would doubt that all of them had full rides. For example, I doubt that the kickers, or both of them, had full rides. Probably some others in the same category. In addition, there are probably multiple kids on partials or even non-schollie, who "earned" more money for next year. Those situations haven't been taken into account in the discussions on scholarship numbers. And then there are the scholarships that are usually held back for transfers that sometimes materialize after spring ball--or if not held back, need to be found.

The class does look nice, but I have found that large classes usually look better than small classes, in part because of the large numbers combined with many positions being covered. Looking just at the o-lineman, for example, which of them are the next Russum, Horn, Quinn, Balogh, Dow, Kistler, Poehls?

AZGrizFan said:
birdieman said:
Intangibles?? Who knows. Can you coach heart, dedication, determination, teamwork??

And these are the things a "star" rating can't measure and it's where "sure things" with 4 and 5 star ratings wash out. If getgrizzly expects them to be able to measure these things he's going to go through life extremely disappointed.
My point was that you shouldn't give star ratings too much weight. As in, I don't expect them to measure each athlete accurately and that I'd leave that to coaches, but even they miss.

Paytonlives said:
wbtfg said:

Way to stir the pot. Did you know that was a great class when it was signed?

As stated this is the best class by far on paper. The real question is if they will end up being the best class in 4 years. For that only time will tell..
I'd cut him some slack here, this was a pretty reasonable post. If I remember correctly that class was pretty nasty. A lot has changed since then though (speaking to you wbtfg), the way twitter, star rankings, and the way Hauck and Stitt coach is so different.....all that considered, it's tough to compare a class from 2003 to 2016.

PlayerRep said:
I doubt that 17 seniors plus 4 players leaving necessarily equals 21 full scholarships. I would doubt that all of them had full rides. For example, I doubt that the kickers, or both of them, had full rides. Probably some others in the same category. In addition, there are probably multiple kids on partials or even non-schollie, who "earned" more money for next year.

Do many kids make it all the way to their senior year without ever earning a scholarship?

AZGrizFan said:
getgrizzy said:

That would fit the 'being very liberal with their ratings' point that I made.

Interesting that your article says there are 1,150 players in the nation with 3-4-5 star ratings. Yet you say that there are 1,300 in Texas alone.

6 Jamaal Jones R-Sr. WR 6-1 192 Spanaway, Wash. / Graham-Kapowsin HS
11 Nate Harris R-Sr. CB 5-10 180 Chino, Calif. / Chino Hills HS
18 Tyler Lucas R-Sr. WR 6-4 210 Bellefonte, Pa. / Bellefonte HS
31 Justin Whitted R-Sr. S 6-1 195 Los Angeles, Calif. / St. Bernard HS
33 Connor Lebsock R-Sr. LB 6-2 205 Billings, Mont. / Skyview HS
34 Jamal Wilson R-Sr. DT 5-11 270 Fontana, Calif. / A.B. Miller HS
39 Jake Dallaserra R-Sr. S 5-11 180 Butte, Mont. / Butte HS
45 Jeremiah Kose R-Sr. LB 6-2 225 Oceanside, Calif. / Vista HS
47 Derek Crittenden R-Sr. DE 6-3 245 Whitefish, Mont. / Whitefish HS
86 Ben Roberts R-Sr. WR 6-4 215 Missoula, Mont. / Sentinel HS
87 Chris Lider R-Sr. K/P 6-1 205 Bellevue, Wash. / Sammamish HS
3 Eric Johnson Sr. S 6-2 180 San Francisco, Calif. / San Lorenzo HS
5 Daniel Sullivan Sr. K 5-10 165 Mill Creek, Wash. / Henry M. Jackson HS
35 Kendrick Van Ackeren Sr. LB 6-1 215 Bellevue, Wash. / Bellevue HS
36 Herbert Gamboa Sr. LB 6-1 215 San Clemente, Calif. / San Clemente HS
74 John Schmaing Sr. OL 6-7 290 Billings, Mont. / Senior HS
91 Tyrone Holmes Sr. DE 6-4 250 Eagle Point, Ore. / Eagle Point HS

You see anybody on that list (aside from maybe Sullivan) who most likely wasn't on full scholarship? Dallaserra might be the only one.

I think it's fair to say the University hasn't had a recruiter like Stitt since the Hauck days. Obviously it will take a couple years to really understand and appreciate what Coach Stitt and his staff are building here, but the early returns are VERY promising (I know some of you Hauck or die folks may have a hard time admitted it though). It's a good time to be a Griz!

Back