• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

This has to be said... about this years recruiting class

getgrizzy said:
AZGrizFan said:
getgrizzy said:
We've had lots of recruiting classes that look as good as this one. This one has a lot of star-rated players, but we should all know by now that star ratings aren't very accurate. I'd even go so far as to say that if you're a 3-star player and you end up at a FCS school, the people doing the rating are simply wrong, being very liberal with their ratings, or you have baggage (grades, trouble, injuries). No way should a true 3-star player start his career in the FCS.

Really? The state of Texas ALONE produces roughly 1,300 3, 4 and 5 star football players each graduating class. Each year roughly 350 of those sign with FBS schools. That leaves a LOT of star-rated players looking for homes. And if star ratings aren't very accurate, how come Alabama has so many 5 star and 4 star players on their team, and lead all of college football with players in the NFL?

Star ratings might be wrong (or missing) on athletes from some of the less densely populated areas, but I'm pretty sure the rating agencies are fairly accurate in the more populated states like California, Texas, Arizona, Pennsylvania, etc., etc.

This article is a bit dated, but read it and then tell me star rating isn't accurate:

http://athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-draft-do-recruiting-rankings-matter
That would fit the 'being very liberal with their ratings' point that I made.

Interesting that your article says there are 1,150 players in the nation with 3-4-5 star ratings. Yet you say that there are 1,300 in Texas alone.

Read the article again. It says there are 1,150 players signed by FBS Schools with 3-4-5 star ratings.

Using a 3,000-player pool for any given year (25 scholarships x 124 FBS teams = 3,100 prospects), here is how an average recruiting class looks: Five-Stars: 25-30 per year Four-Stars: 275-325 per year Three-Stars: 700-800 per year Two-Stars: 1,600-1,800 per year.

That absolutely backs up my point that many go overlooked/unsigned by FBS schools.

wbtfg said:
This is a nice class, but I don't think it holds a candle to a few of the classes that Bobby Hauck brought in. I seem to remember one class in particular maybe 2003? It was just a bunch of big time dudes, I think Tyler Joyce was one of the crown jewels of that class.

This. Nice class, but not overly impressive.

Not trying to stir the pot, but I really thought we'd see 2-3 wow type of WR's in this class, I don't see one.

firmgriz said:
I think it's fair to say the University hasn't had a recruiter like Stitt since the Hauck days. Obviously it will take a couple years to really understand and appreciate what Coach Stitt and his staff are building here, but the early returns are VERY promising (I know some of you Hauck or die folks may have a hard time admitted it though). It's a good time to be a Griz!

No positivity on this board damnit.

AZGrizFan said:
6 Jamaal Jones R-Sr. WR 6-1 192 Spanaway, Wash. / Graham-Kapowsin HS
11 Nate Harris R-Sr. CB 5-10 180 Chino, Calif. / Chino Hills HS
18 Tyler Lucas R-Sr. WR 6-4 210 Bellefonte, Pa. / Bellefonte HS
31 Justin Whitted R-Sr. S 6-1 195 Los Angeles, Calif. / St. Bernard HS
33 Connor Lebsock R-Sr. LB 6-2 205 Billings, Mont. / Skyview HS
34 Jamal Wilson R-Sr. DT 5-11 270 Fontana, Calif. / A.B. Miller HS
39 Jake Dallaserra R-Sr. S 5-11 180 Butte, Mont. / Butte HS
45 Jeremiah Kose R-Sr. LB 6-2 225 Oceanside, Calif. / Vista HS
47 Derek Crittenden R-Sr. DE 6-3 245 Whitefish, Mont. / Whitefish HS
86 Ben Roberts R-Sr. WR 6-4 215 Missoula, Mont. / Sentinel HS
87 Chris Lider R-Sr. K/P 6-1 205 Bellevue, Wash. / Sammamish HS
3 Eric Johnson Sr. S 6-2 180 San Francisco, Calif. / San Lorenzo HS
5 Daniel Sullivan Sr. K 5-10 165 Mill Creek, Wash. / Henry M. Jackson HS
35 Kendrick Van Ackeren Sr. LB 6-1 215 Bellevue, Wash. / Bellevue HS
36 Herbert Gamboa Sr. LB 6-1 215 San Clemente, Calif. / San Clemente HS
74 John Schmaing Sr. OL 6-7 290 Billings, Mont. / Senior HS
91 Tyrone Holmes Sr. DE 6-4 250 Eagle Point, Ore. / Eagle Point HS

You see anybody on that list (aside from maybe Sullivan) who most likely wasn't on full scholarship? Dallaserra might be the only one.

Don't know, but also Lucas, Lider, Roberts (?), Johnson. Could any, like Crittenden, have academic money, and not all athletic scholarship money?

griz5700 said:
wbtfg said:
This is a nice class, but I don't think it holds a candle to a few of the classes that Bobby Hauck brought in. I seem to remember one class in particular maybe 2003? It was just a bunch of big time dudes, I think Tyler Joyce was one of the crown jewels of that class.

Not trying to stir the pot, but I really thought we'd see 2-3 wow type of WR's in this class, I don't see one.

Really, Akem, Nash, Toure, Corbin dont impress or wow you?? Theyre all big and fast. Great athletes.

What are you not impressed with? Our 3 massive 2-3 star O lineman...when is the last time we had that type of Oline talent coming in in one class...

When is the last time we had a load of recievers ranging from 6'2 burners to 6'5 200 popounders???

Every offensive player we have coming in except 2 are at least 2 stars....I dont remember ever having a class this good.

getgrizzy said:
If someone else had stated this, I'd take it more seriously. You haven't been very accurate on your assessment of players over the years, so there's no reason to get excited about anything you say about our recruiting. Plus, the only thing in your main reasons that's different than any other school is the NDSU win. All coaches start early and stay with players and they all go after upper crust recruits. Lots of players try to work on other players to get them to sign at the same school. That's been going on for ages. The fact you don't know these things really hurts your credibility.

We've had lots of recruiting classes that look as good as this one. This one has a lot of star-rated players, but we should all know by now that star ratings aren't very accurate. I'd even go so far as to say that if you're a 3-star player and you end up at a FCS school, the people doing the rating are simply wrong, being very liberal with their ratings, or you have baggage (grades, trouble, injuries). No way should a true 3-star player start his career in the FCS.
This.....From an :msugrad: :msugrad: :msugrad:

and kitty fan pretending he's not........

Go figure? :shock: :shock:

But, I love how he uses that "WE" shit
trying to associate himself with winners........

but then again the kittens are on the verge of "A whole New FRONTIER"

Don't waste your time trying to convince the negative nancys. They will grumble and complain all the way to a title and then try and tell everyone that they knew it would all be great. This is a great class by any measure, unless you're wearing blue and gold glasses.

I can only see more classes like this continuing to roll into Montana in the future....now with our upgraded facilities not only can we sell the "We have a much better game and atmosphere experience" than most everyone in the Mountain West, but also better facilities.

Like many have said the new acedemic center and sports performance center/locker rooms are such a freaking game changer to the landscape of not only the big sky and FCS...but really in the entire western half of the US where Mountain West and Pac-12 teams roam.

Man Cat fans have to feel like theyve taken a kick in the nuts after these last few years...we were supposed to be doomed..schollies lost...so much negativity. But infact we rise from the ashes like a mother fucking phoenix!!! #BOOM

BadlandsGrizFan said:
griz5700 said:
wbtfg said:

Really, Akem, Nash, Toure, Corbin dont impress or wow you?? Theyre all big and fast. Great athletes.

What are you not impressed with? Our 3 massive 2-3 star O lineman...when is the last time we had that type of Oline talent coming in in one class...

When is the last time we had a load of recievers ranging from 6'2 burners to 6'5 200 popounders???

Every offensive player we have coming in except 2 are at least 2 stars....I dont remember ever having a class this good.

Not at all wow'd by any of the WR's in this class. Which surprises me considering Stitt's offense. Disappointing honestly.

Rey Green and Thayne Jackson are studs.

What the staff accomplished with both lines is impressive.

The plan at WR I do not get though.

griz5700 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
griz5700 said:
wbtfg said:

Not at all wow'd by any of the WR's in this class. Which surprises me considering Stitt's offense. Sucks.

Rey Green and Thayne Jackson are studs.

Really..6'3-6"5 200lb recievers in the big sky dont impress you? Most SEC teams would be happy with those sizes.

stupidthreadwarning.gif

Bear Axed said:
getgrizzy said:
If someone else had stated this, I'd take it more seriously. You haven't been very accurate on your assessment of players over the years, so there's no reason to get excited about anything you say about our recruiting. Plus, the only thing in your main reasons that's different than any other school is the NDSU win. All coaches start early and stay with players and they all go after upper crust recruits. Lots of players try to work on other players to get them to sign at the same school. That's been going on for ages. The fact you don't know these things really hurts your credibility.

This.....From an :msugrad: :msugrad: :msugrad:

and kitty fan pretending he's not........

Go figure? :shock: :shock:

But, I love how he uses that "WE" shit
trying to associate himself with winners........

but then again the kittens are on the verge of "A whole New FRONTIER"

Disagree with this assessment totally! Some kids want to see the field and display their talent. They know, or hope that they will see the field all the time at this level. They choose the GRIZ because of our program and success of sending players to the NFL from this level. I don't know any FBS players who sit the bench with a star rating that make the NFL, do you? And yes, many star rating players are sitting the bench at the FBS level...
Having your ass on the field means a lot to some kids!

Catsrback76 said:
blah blah blah lil' bro is jealous blah blah blah

Lets see what ya all think over the next several years while the Griz and this class continue to smack the cats around and own your new coach Choade on the field :thumb:

Maybe we should bump this post after next year's brawl of the wild.

Seriously though... ya guys didn't even get to the playoff last year. Do you really think you should be over here talking to the fan base of a team team that did make it to the playoffs (and made it out of the first round) when you guys couldn't even get to the playoffs with a QB that transferred to Oregon?

You might as well be a Northern Colorado fan talking smack at this point... you're about as relevant. You should be concerned with your own team and praying that coach Choade brings in some talent (especially on defense) so you aren't an absolute joke again on defense.

Here's the "Too long - didn't read" version of my post: You guys have a LOT more problems to worry about than whether or not this is the best recruiting class for the Griz ever (it's a damn good one for sure). Plus.... 54-35. Nuff said.

AZGrizFan said:
getgrizzy said:
AZGrizFan said:
getgrizzy said:

Really? The state of Texas ALONE produces roughly 1,300 3, 4 and 5 star football players each graduating class. Each year roughly 350 of those sign with FBS schools. That leaves a LOT of star-rated players looking for homes. And if star ratings aren't very accurate, how come Alabama has so many 5 star and 4 star players on their team, and lead all of college football with players in the NFL?

Star ratings might be wrong (or missing) on athletes from some of the less densely populated areas, but I'm pretty sure the rating agencies are fairly accurate in the more populated states like California, Texas, Arizona, Pennsylvania, etc., etc.

This article is a bit dated, but read it and then tell me star rating isn't accurate:

http://athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-draft-do-recruiting-rankings-matter
That would fit the 'being very liberal with their ratings' point that I made.

Interesting that your article says there are 1,150 players in the nation with 3-4-5 star ratings. Yet you say that there are 1,300 in Texas alone.

Read the article again. It says there are 1,150 players signed by FBS Schools with 3-4-5 star ratings.

Using a 3,000-player pool for any given year (25 scholarships x 124 FBS teams = 3,100 prospects), here is how an average recruiting class looks: Five-Stars: 25-30 per year Four-Stars: 275-325 per year Three-Stars: 700-800 per year Two-Stars: 1,600-1,800 per year.

That absolutely backs up my point that many go overlooked/unsigned by FBS schools.
The recruiting service Scout currently has 31-5 star, 360-4 star and 1,250 3-star players. That's 1,441 players rated at 3-star or better. You said that Texas alone has 1,300.

FBS schools also sign a lot of 2-star and no star players. Looks like a good 300 3-star players are passed over by FBS schools and replaced by 2-star and no-star players for the other 1,500+ spots. So, again, I'll say that if you're a 3-star you should end up getting a scholarship from a FBS school. There are 3,100 open scholarships per year for FBS schools, yet they only take 1,150 of the 1,440 3-4-5 star rated players available.

It's relatively easy to look at film and see athletic talent. Equally important questions: can these kids hack it in the classroom and in the community? How many of these kids will still be here five years from now? Sounds like a lot of them got good character references from their hs coaches, but character is tough to predict based on a few snapshots. Hope the coaches worked this out in recruiting them.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
6 Jamaal Jones R-Sr. WR 6-1 192 Spanaway, Wash. / Graham-Kapowsin HS
11 Nate Harris R-Sr. CB 5-10 180 Chino, Calif. / Chino Hills HS
18 Tyler Lucas R-Sr. WR 6-4 210 Bellefonte, Pa. / Bellefonte HS
31 Justin Whitted R-Sr. S 6-1 195 Los Angeles, Calif. / St. Bernard HS
33 Connor Lebsock R-Sr. LB 6-2 205 Billings, Mont. / Skyview HS
34 Jamal Wilson R-Sr. DT 5-11 270 Fontana, Calif. / A.B. Miller HS
39 Jake Dallaserra R-Sr. S 5-11 180 Butte, Mont. / Butte HS
45 Jeremiah Kose R-Sr. LB 6-2 225 Oceanside, Calif. / Vista HS
47 Derek Crittenden R-Sr. DE 6-3 245 Whitefish, Mont. / Whitefish HS
86 Ben Roberts R-Sr. WR 6-4 215 Missoula, Mont. / Sentinel HS
87 Chris Lider R-Sr. K/P 6-1 205 Bellevue, Wash. / Sammamish HS
3 Eric Johnson Sr. S 6-2 180 San Francisco, Calif. / San Lorenzo HS
5 Daniel Sullivan Sr. K 5-10 165 Mill Creek, Wash. / Henry M. Jackson HS
35 Kendrick Van Ackeren Sr. LB 6-1 215 Bellevue, Wash. / Bellevue HS
36 Herbert Gamboa Sr. LB 6-1 215 San Clemente, Calif. / San Clemente HS
74 John Schmaing Sr. OL 6-7 290 Billings, Mont. / Senior HS
91 Tyrone Holmes Sr. DE 6-4 250 Eagle Point, Ore. / Eagle Point HS

You see anybody on that list (aside from maybe Sullivan) who most likely wasn't on full scholarship? Dallaserra might be the only one.

Don't know, but also Lucas, Lider, Roberts (?), Johnson. Could any, like Crittenden, have academic money, and not all athletic scholarship money?

Dallaserra, Lider, and Sullivan are likely not full scholarships. Not sure about Lucas and Roberts as well. There are probably about 14 or 15 full scholarships in this group. Addison Owen quit right before fall so you pick up his plus known cuts to Pflug & Parker. Naccarato and Burke have left the team since last fall. My guess is we have about 22 full scholarships available at this point for next year. As PR mentions earlier, some additional scholarship money will likely be earned by existing players and there will also likely be more natural attrition or a couple more cuts. With the 2015 class as is now we likely need around 25 full scholarships for them.

Raider said:
Objectively, I am not all that impressed with this class.

Seems to me that Stitt is doing a good job filling some positions we desperately need where Delaney didn't do a very good job recruiting (especially OLine). That (considering we still won a playoff game against a very good team last year) is enough to get me pretty hyped for what this recruiting class will bring and how the Griz will do over the next few years :)

Back