• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

This has to be said... about this years recruiting class

Love how other fans (especially Cats) bring up the last Griz title being 2009. I guess if I were a Cat fan, I'd want to forget all about 2011 as well. Ya know, the year the Griz went into Bozeman and absolutely steamrolled the #1 Bobcats. That one led to the best Trail of Tears I've ever witnessed because there were actually tears. That win also won a title for the Griz. Don't act like some vacated wins eliminates what happened on that day.

Paytonlives said:
wbtfg said:
This is a nice class, but I don't think it holds a candle to a few of the classes that Bobby Hauck brought in. I seem to remember one class in particular maybe 2003? It was just a bunch of big time dudes, I think Tyler Joyce was one of the crown jewels of that class.

Way to stir the pot. Did you know that was a great class when it was signed?

As stated this is the best class by far on paper. The real question is if they will end up being the best class in 4 years. For that only time will tell..

wbtfg... remember Paytonlives specifically said he's "only" been tracking recruiting classes across the country for the last 10-years. I think that is when Rivals started consulting with him too. So this 2003 class you mention is outside his timeline of expertise. So obviously he is right and you are wrong - way to stir the pot and be an a-hole.

I am sure Nick Saban is sitting at home secretly applauding Stitt right now for pulling off such a stellar class (on paper of course, right Payton ;) ).

In all honesty, this is certainly a good class. But, aren't they all at this time of the year? Even SE Oklahoma State School for the Deaf and Blind is having a recruiting season that just might turn things around in 1-2 years.

AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
getgrizzy said:
The recruiting service Scout currently has 31-5 star, 360-4 star and 1,250 3-star players. That's 1,441 players rated at 3-star or better. You said that Texas alone has 1,300.

FBS schools also sign a lot of 2-star and no star players. Looks like a good 300 3-star players are passed over by FBS schools and replaced by 2-star and no-star players for the other 1,500+ spots. So, again, I'll say that if you're a 3-star you should end up getting a scholarship from a FBS school. There are 3,100 open scholarships per year for FBS schools, yet they only take 1,150 of the 1,440 3-4-5 star rated players available.

Alright. I'm not sure what happened, but I did a BUNCH of research on this several months ago, and was pretty confident in the 1300 #. Now I go look on 247 sports and I see 2,024 3-4-5 star players in the entire country, with 554 of them being from Texas...I doubt the # has fluctuated that wildly, so the original 1,300 # must have been incorrect...

Was it maybe total players with a star rating of any sort?

Yeah, not sure. I'd love to go back and duplicate the research, but now I can't get any of those sites to come up...gonna have to tap out unless/until I can get the figures verified.
Hey ya made a mistake. I'm not into rubbing it in. I just like to be honest about stuff. There are so many rating boards that there might be 1300 Texans with a 3-star on one board or another. My point is that FBS teams don't even try to recruit some 3-stars, but give full rides to no star players. So getting a 2-3 star player at a fcs school isn't that big of a deal. The ESPN board is the most believable IMO. It's fun to compare the 40 times from ESPN to the 40 listed on the other sites. Almost always two tenths higher on ESPN.

Cat Pride said:
Paytonlives said:
wbtfg said:
This is a nice class, but I don't think it holds a candle to a few of the classes that Bobby Hauck brought in. I seem to remember one class in particular maybe 2003? It was just a bunch of big time dudes, I think Tyler Joyce was one of the crown jewels of that class.

As stated this is the best class by far on paper. The real question is if they will end up being the best class in 4 years. For that only time will tell..

wbtfg... remember Paytonlives specifically said he's "only" been tracking recruiting classes across the country for the last 10-years. I think that is when Rivals started consulting with him too. So this 2003 class you mention is outside his timeline of expertise. So obviously he is right and you are wrong - way to stir the pot and be an a-hole.

I am sure Nick Saban is sitting at home secretly applauding Stitt right now for pulling off such a stellar class (on paper of course, right Payton ;) ).

In all honesty, this is certainly a good class. But, aren't they all at this time of the year? Even SE Oklahoma State School for the Deaf and Blind is having a recruiting season that just might turn things around in 1-2 years.
This may be the first year since Ash became coach that UM has what I believe is a better looking recruiting class. So yes, you can say on paper it doesn't mean much, but I do feel it means something (not everything). IMO the thing that hurt the cats was not having good players. It remains to be seen if the Griz coaching staff can take these kids to the next level and when they do, how long with this coaching staff stay around. The cats have to be concerned with how long their coaching staff will stay around also, but for different reasons.

bigsky33 said:
poorgriz said:
grizaremoregooder said:
poorgriz said:
Ya, we all get that, because we hear it from you ALL the time, and every single year the griz have the "best recruiting class ever"... and yet you haven't been able to even win the Big Sky since 2009? MSU has won or tied for the title three times in that span. I'm not sure why every single thread always turns into "little brother", and "we beat you almost every year" talk but it is what it is. I really wasn't interested in smack and responding to a bunch of other posts in this thread, was just pointing out a very obvious point that apparently a bunch of you miss.
If the cats were ever going to make a run at the Grizzlies it was going to be in the last 5 years. The two year NCAA investigation followed by 3 years of 4 reduced scholarships is over and the cats are still light years behind the Montana Grizzlies. Your program just hit the reset button for crying out loud. The Grizzlies just put together a very, very, very solid class. You are so blinded by hate that it is sad.

Agree. Has anyone disagreed with this over here? I sure haven't seen anything.

I agree too. That is one of the reasons Ash is gone. Stitt has put together what looks to be a great recruiting class. I agree with poorgriz though, that it takes a few years to see where it stacks up. Yes, even though the Cats had to hit the reset button it is not a rebuild situationand is similar to what Delaney left for Stitt. They had a lot of good young talent last year on that awful defense that should come into it's own this year with the added experience and improved coaching staff. I feel the new coaching staff, despite a late start has put together a really good recruiting class. I would not say the Cat's are light years behind. As poorgriz pointed out, it is a fact that you have not won the Big Sky since 2009 while the Cats have won or tied for the title three times during that span. Not talking smack here, but just pointing out the differences are not that great going forward. I hope our optimistic recruiting outlook for our respective teams comes to fruition.

You guys keep bringing that up..but everyone knows that all those Griz teams besides 1 was the better team than the Bobcats....every year we continue to go further in the playoffs...its getting old hearing the same nonsense come out of catville.

poorgriz said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
poorgriz said:
bearister said:
It's relatively easy to look at film and see athletic talent. Equally important questions: can these kids hack it in the classroom and in the community? How many of these kids will still be here five years from now? Sounds like a lot of them got good character references from their hs coaches, but character is tough to predict based on a few snapshots. Hope the coaches worked this out in recruiting them.

Good post. Not just the character think, but team chemistry, injuries, and many other factors play in. You truly won't know the full story about a "Best recruiting class ever" for 4 or 5 years. Several of these players will flop, several will be solid contributors (Maybe half?), and some might end up being stars. Just like every other college football program in the country. You just really, really don't know - and won't know for a long time.

And this is said every single year..and then the Cats have to watch those same kids put a smack down on MSU come November.....

Ya, we all get that, because we hear it from you ALL the time, and every single year the griz have the "best recruiting class ever"... and yet you haven't been able to even win the Big Sky since 2009? MSU has won or tied for the title three times in that span. I'm not sure why every single thread always turns into "little brother", and "we beat you almost every year" talk but it is what it is. I really wasn't interested in smack and responding to a bunch of other posts in this thread, was just pointing out a very obvious point that apparently a bunch of you miss.

Winning the conference as a mark of acheivement isn't what it used to be. With unbalanced scheduling not every team plays the same schools, i.e. Southern Utah. Progressing through the playoffs is a better measurement; you know, those games played after Thanksiving.

I love how cat fans have the time to come and stir the pot over here... why don't you worry about your own class?

It is a nice FCS class.

Paytonlives said:
I love how cat fans have the time to come and stir the pot over here... why don't you worry about your own class?

It is a nice FCS class.
Nice is being generous. It's very average.

If you want scat fans to go away you should make this board for Griz football only and create a new board for all other teams. I think a lot of scat fans come here because of all the scat threads on the page. The amount of threads about MSU goes overboard a lot.

gotgame75 said:
griz5700 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
griz5700 said:
This. Nice class, but not overly impressive.

Not trying to stir the pot, but I really thought we'd see 2-3 wow type of WR's in this class, I don't see one.

Really, Akem, Nash, Toure, Corbin dont impress or wow you?? Theyre all big and fast. Great athletes.

What are you not impressed with? Our 3 massive 2-3 star O lineman...when is the last time we had that type of Oline talent coming in in one class...

When is the last time we had a load of recievers ranging from 6'2 burners to 6'5 200 popounders???

Every offensive player we have coming in except 2 are at least 2 stars....I dont remember ever having a class this good.

Not at all wow'd by any of the WR's in this class. Which surprises me considering Stitt's offense. Disappointing honestly.

Rey Green and Thayne Jackson are studs.

What the staff accomplished with both lines is impressive.

The plan at WR I do not get though.

And what exactly would "WOW' you? Obviously not this....

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2089468/highlights/308628507/v3

If Toure doesn't impress you then you are going to go through life being very disappointed. What exactly were you expecting at the WR position, Julio Jones? This is BY FAR the most impressive group of receivers I can remember and its not even close.

Had offers from air force and georgetown. What a get.

griz5700 said:
gotgame75 said:
griz5700 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Really, Akem, Nash, Toure, Corbin dont impress or wow you?? Theyre all big and fast. Great athletes.

What are you not impressed with? Our 3 massive 2-3 star O lineman...when is the last time we had that type of Oline talent coming in in one class...

When is the last time we had a load of recievers ranging from 6'2 burners to 6'5 200 popounders???

Every offensive player we have coming in except 2 are at least 2 stars....I dont remember ever having a class this good.

Not at all wow'd by any of the WR's in this class. Which surprises me considering Stitt's offense. Disappointing honestly.

If Toure doesn't impress you then you are going to go through life being very disappointed. What exactly were you expecting at the WR position, Julio Jones? This is BY FAR the most impressive group of receivers I can remember and its not even close.

Well, we know he's intelligent, had a D1 offer and appears to fool the camera pretty well. I'd say he was a good get.

griz5700 said:
gotgame75 said:
griz5700 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Exactly, I mean just like that eventual waste of a scholarship Mariani. Dude had no big time offers...what the Fuck were we thinking?

Cat Pride said:
Paytonlives said:
wbtfg said:

OK so to show how ignorant you are the Griz class of 2003 had exactly ONE rivals player with a star rating on signing day.... Van Cooper was a two star...

Yeah Yeah Yeah... recruiting is different now, blah blah blah. Please come back when you can add some intelligent comments

Oh and the 2008 class had (4) 2-star players
RB- D. Moore
DB- Mike Cummings
OL- Matt Lipski
OL- Blake Lebeau

Paytonlives said:
RB- D. Moore
DB- Mike Cummings
OL- Matt Lipski
OL- Blake Lebeau

How did they all do....Stars mean NOTHING...some of the all time great griz players were walk-on players. Same as some of the great Bobcat players were. You just never know.

SACCAT66 said:
Paytonlives said:
RB- D. Moore
DB- Mike Cummings
OL- Matt Lipski
OL- Blake Lebeau

How did they all do....Stars mean NOTHING...some of the all time great griz players were walk-on players. Same as some of the great Bobcat players were. You just never know.
According to the Indianapolis Colts training camp, Dan Moore did ok.

Stars mean nothing? Like, nothing at all? Explains why your classes, year in and year out, have so few of them.

casewinter13 said:
SACCAT66 said:
Paytonlives said:
RB- D. Moore
DB- Mike Cummings
OL- Matt Lipski
OL- Blake Lebeau

Stars mean nothing? Like, nothing at all? Explains why your classes, year in and year out, have so few of them.

So one player that he posted got a tryout and didn't make it? That is what they thought.

And our "classes" have plenty of stars every year, and just like yours, most don't pan out.

SACCAT66 said:
casewinter13 said:
SACCAT66 said:
Paytonlives said:
RB- D. Moore
DB- Mike Cummings
OL- Matt Lipski
OL- Blake Lebeau

So one player that he posted got a tryout and didn't make it? That is what they thought.

And our "classes" have plenty of stars every year, and just like yours, most don't pan out.
Hey, solid point, somebody better call Saban and tell him to back off recruiting all those athletes with worthless fucking stars by their names.

Had I known that you were one of those cat fans that didn't realize Montana's recruiting classes have turned out far superior in terms of individual talent, what with all their useless stars, I wouldn't have wasted our time engaging you. That's kind of a non-starter for me.

casewinter13 said:
SACCAT66 said:
casewinter13 said:
SACCAT66 said:

Hey, solid point, somebody better call Saban and tell him to back off recruiting all those athletes with worthless f***[*] stars by their names.

Had I known that you were one of those cat fans that didn't realize Montana's recruiting classes have turned out far superior in terms of individual talent, what with all their useless stars, I wouldn't have wasted our time engaging you. That's kind of a non-starter for me.

You are missing the fact (your not, you are just ignorant) that some of the BEST PLAYERS IN GRIZZLY HISTORY had no stars by there names, they also had NO OFFERS from the Cats or griz. They walked-on. And they took it from there....Show me one post/person that said that marriani ( spelling probably wrong) or Anderson or waggamen (spelling again wrong) would be all FCS and make it to the NFL....All Walk-ons all alltime greats for you...

SACCAT66 said:
casewinter13 said:
SACCAT66 said:
casewinter13 said:

Hey, solid point, somebody better call Saban and tell him to back off recruiting all those athletes with worthless f***[*] stars by their names.

You are missing the fact (your not, you are just ignorant) that some of the BEST PLAYERS IN GRIZZLY HISTORY had no stars by there names, they also had NO OFFERS from the Cats or griz. They walked-on. And they took it from there....Show me one post/person that said that marriani ( spelling probably wrong) or Anderson or waggamen (spelling again wrong) would be all FCS and make it to the NFL....All Walk-ons all alltime greats for you...
I'm neither, but thanks. I made the Mariani point just yesterday in another thread, so I'm well aware that outliers exist, and happy as hell to celebrate them when they do occur. I'm also aware, as I'm sure you are as well, (hyperbole is fun, huh) that you'd gladly take a few more three star recruits in your class every single year, and if the cats did, odds are they'd put a better product on the field.

Isn't it amazing how year after year it's the same shit?

The Griz deliver a beat down to the cats (who were pre-season champs of course) in November.

The Cat fans have to endure the usual end-of-season collapse (which usually begins sometime in October), and either miss the playoffs or get embarrassed in the playoffs at home.

The Cat fans spend the rest of November drinking heavily and crying.

December comes...cat fans are in an alcohol induced coma or still staggering around mumbling stuff about it was supposed to be their year...it's fairly quiet on eGriz when it comes to cat fans posting...

Early January arrives...they start to sober up...dry their tears.... and think hey...maybe next year will be different! It's a new year!

They start posting on BCN again, crowning themselves the preseason champs! They hype each other up to insane levels! It's the changing of the guard motha-fu**as! The Cats are Back!!

Mid to end of January they're over on eGriz spouting off in Griz recruiting threads like they aren't going to get curb stomped again in the upcoming year. They'll downplay the recruiting accomplishments the Griz coaching staff has made and make it sound like none of that matters. :lol:

This will last through the beginning of the season and usually up until October when doubt starts to set in as they lose games they should win (or look like shit in them)... the smack talk will still be flowing but you'll start to see that they are worried. They see what's coming.... the end of season collapse!

The the Griz/cat game will happen. They'll implode. Mods on their forums will have to warn people and "take back" the forum as their posters threaten each other, threaten players and threaten coaches with bodily harm.. Shit will hit the fan...possibly literally as some cat fans revert to feral behavior and start throwing their own shit at things in their own house.

Dejavu man...damn..every...freaking...year. It's hilarious :lol:

Will Coach Choade be able to prevent that end of season collapse and the smashing of cat-fan's dreams in November? We shall see... I doubt it though!

Meanwhile the Griz fans here will continue to be excited about their very impressive recruits (possibly a bit over-excited sometimes I'll admit) and look forward to seeing them actually produce on the field, kick the shit out of the cats, and once again be an actual (not just pre-season) contender at the end of the year!

Back